Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Kids Stay Inside Too Much
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Kids Stay Inside Too Much Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  4:12:08 PM  Show Profile
Here's a good article about why it's important to get your kids outside and involved in nature.

http://www.evergreenmonthly.com/2005/em2108/f1_smart_outdoors2108.html

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  5:36:21 PM  Show Profile
That is exactly what I want for my girls!

Yesterday my mom had them so my husband and I could go out for his birthday, and they were resodding the front lawn.. anyway, she stripped them down to their diapers and took them for dirt rides in the wheel barrow! Then they came in the house and made mud soup in the bathtub.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  7:49:25 PM  Show Profile
The site is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
As a teacher I see another totally different "slack" that comes from not playing outside without direction supervision from adults. Kids come to my classroom without a clue how to solve problems however small, AND they do not know how to direct themselves. Today was the first day of school, a student came up to my desk and said his mechanical pencil wasn't working. Knowing full well he was one of the lucky ones that had also brought several pencils to school, I asked him what his plan was. He stared at me blankly. I tried again, "How are you going to fix the problem?" He looked at me and said very sincerely, "Don't you tell me how to do that since you're the adult?" Hmmmm...something to think about.
Peace,
Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  09:28:01 AM  Show Profile
I found this 'tip' in one of my grandmother's Church Cookbooks from the 50s, and had to share:

How to Preserve Children
Take:
1 large grassy field
1/2 Dozen small children
2 or 3 small dogs
A pinch of brook and some small pebbles
Misc. flowers

Mix the children and dogs well together and put them in the field, stirring constantly.
Pour the brook over the pebbles, sprinkle the field with flowers, spread over all a deep blue sky, and bake in a hot sun. When thoroughly browned, remove and set to cool in a bath-tub.

Edited by - WisGal35 on Aug 27 2005 12:26:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  09:39:09 AM  Show Profile
It sure makes me so grateful that my kids love love love to be outside alot. I have to drag them inside to clean up and eat. I sure feel sorry for kids who don't get dirty, explore the haybarn, make forts in the bushes, sit and eat fresh veggies right from the garden, climb trees, ride bikes until their legs are tired, roll in the grass and play with animals. I don't allow video games at our house and the tv is seldom on for the kids, even in winter..I just don't see the point..there is so much else to do!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

mamamia
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Cher-Ami
Toquerville UT
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  4:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mamamia's MSN Messenger address  Send mamamia a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

It sure makes me so grateful that my kids love love love to be outside alot. I have to drag them inside to clean up and eat. I sure feel sorry for kids who don't get dirty, explore the haybarn, make forts in the bushes, sit and eat fresh veggies right from the garden, climb trees, ride bikes until their legs are tired, roll in the grass and play with animals. I don't allow video games at our house and the tv is seldom on for the kids, even in winter..I just don't see the point..there is so much else to do!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  5:07:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes Jenny, I agree with you! I have never understood the parents who would be horrified if their kids play in the dirt, but then stick them in a daycare room with 20 other kids and expose them to all those germs! Kids rarely wash their hands after the bathroom or sneezing or anything like that unless a parent stands over them and reminds them over and over.. and the adult to child ratio in those places is very unbalanced, so everything they touch could easily be covered in way more germs than a slug in the back yard.

I'm not going to turn down my friends and families birthday parties or anything, but I'd always rather have my kids outside in the fresh air than at a Chuck E Cheese or some other sticky place!

*Hypochondriac mommy*

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

mamamia
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Cher-Ami
Toquerville UT
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  5:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mamamia's MSN Messenger address  Send mamamia a Yahoo! Message
I agree! My (homeschool) classroom is mainly outside. Whatever we do and wherever we go we plan ahead to take library books that go with what we're doing or where we're going. If we haven't planned it we look it up later. "If" my daughter watches tv it must be educational such as Animal Planet or we check out (how to and educational) videos from the library. When I had (and when something grows in my new garden) my daughter eats right out of the garden when she wants. It's great and I know it's safe and "raw" veggies are even better! Kids take pride in what they plant too. They learn planting depth, row space, germination, companion planting, beneficial insects and animals, when to plant, and they love the choice of what "they" want to plant. Above all they get to play in the dirt! I wish I had a classroom like that when I was growing up!
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  4:51:49 PM  Show Profile
I watched an episode of Little House on the Prairie where the teacher asked the children to collect leaves over the holidays. It was interesting to watch Nellie and Willie, I think they learnt alot from their time outside.

Our outside play has been hampered by the lack of shade. Maybe this year there will be more.
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  1:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Mamamia, you are my kind of Mama! Our classroom is also often outside, great child directed "play". My city nieghbors are replused that #1 my girls love to eat the tomatoes growing in the "flower bed". and #2 they play with worms, (red are the best!) and the list goes on and on, I have been told recently how much fun my kids were to have in Vacation Bible School because they were never at a loss for what to do they helped each other and little ones around them. The games they make up together are fabulous! Outside on the farm is so much safer than in front of the TV!
Go to Top of Page

mountainmama
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lissa
Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  07:41:31 AM  Show Profile
THIS is why I cannot wait to get out of the city and into the country, so my daughter can enjoy nature! We currently live in a transitional neighborhood, and in a couple of years we will sell our house that my husband built and make a nice profit so we can live the way we want to - up in the mountains! Needless to say, I NEVER EVER let my daughter go outside and play without my supervision, due to the questionable characters that walk up and down the street everyday - and the guy who lives in an abandoned car next door on an empty lot - his name is Shine (he washes cars). Then there's TJ, who lives in a house being renovated, but whoever was renovating it ran out of money. There are a lot of big beautiful houses going up in this neighborhood, and it's just a matter of time before it will be a very desireable neighborhood, but for the time being, I have to take my child to the park several times a week so she can enjoy the outdoors. How I yearn for the day when she can play outside all day long without me having to worry...although I think you never get too comfortable, having been a city girl all my life.

Lissa

www.cabin-rentals-of-georgia.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  07:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
As a child care provider I can tell you that parents are looking for "curriculum" constantly. I tell them the best "curriculum" is to be involved and do "stuff" with your children. There was an interesting study just done regarding reading to your children. I am big on reading to children and have always believed it helped my children. But what the study found was that it wasn't the actual reading to children that helped them be successful (although it is very important) but it was the KIND OF PARENT that would read to their children that was important. So I try to stress to my parents that while the curriculum they want for their preschoolers has a place -- playing outside, squishing mud, blowing wildflowers, looking at the clouds, etc., etc., is more important.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  10:41:58 PM  Show Profile
Tonight Kaylee was helping me sort beans to soak for bean and rice bowls tomorrow and she was so facinated by these beans.. they were everywhere except in the bowl and I had to sweep half of them up but it was still a blast. She is going to be 2 on the 29th and it's so funny to watch her.. tonight she was singing "do you know the muffin man" but all she would sing was "muffin man muffin man muffin man... Halsey" (Halsey is her sisters name) So I guess she made it into the song. It was pretty cute. They are changing every day.. Oh, I'll post some pictures of my girls I finally have some online!! http://www.baalzevuv.com/html/pictures.html is the link, my husband posted captions that some may find a little crude so forgive him, He tries really hard to be funny. (He also has links on his main page to a lot of his friends sites who are much more crude than he is, so please don't judge me on it.. at any rate my kids are really cute so check it out and tell me how cute my kids are ;)

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  12:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Your kids ARE cute...and their Momma is pretty nice lookin too. And Bobbi, fyi, your husband IS funny,honest.

Ps I love the muffin man song...that's the only version we know too.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  04:42:19 AM  Show Profile
OMG Bobbi! Your husband is hilarious! I'm laughing out loud here, before my morning coffee! The children are adorable . . . obviously they take after you (see, I can be funny too!). Tell your husband he's a keeper.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  4:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Having graduated to Grandma, or just plain Ma, as my grandson says, I think kids just need attention, and something to do. We have our grandson a lot, and he does what we do. He is 9, and thinks he and Pa can fix anything, which is pretty much true. He farms with us, he fixes stuff with Pa, loves to run the grease gun on the swather and baler, he irrigates, traps gophers, rides horses, feeds cows, just everything that needs done. He spends time with his bb gun, but since I have really limited what he can shoot, he spends most of his time hunting, not shooting. He is a busy boy. His mom did the same, except maybe the grease part. Kids need to be outside, doing things, figuring out how to do things. Adult supervision is fine, but, they need to learn to think on their own. I also do not like to see families so scheduled with sports, and events, that there is no time for kids to be kids.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  4:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Amen!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  7:55:55 PM  Show Profile
kennie lynn, how I agree with you about scheduling. it drives me crazy. I have a sister who doesnt let a minute go by without scheduling it for her kids. Even in summer, everything is scheduled like shes afraid to be with them herself or something. Most of their activities is without her or her husband. I always feel so bad for the kids. They dont act like they care but I cant help feeling they do. Kids need things to do but what ever happened to looking for something to do? Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  8:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Katie-ell and Diane, I forwarded your posts to my husband at work (his job is driving him nuts right now) and it brightened his day.

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  11:21:40 AM  Show Profile
Michele- That is a good point about people afraid to be alone. Maybe it is a matter of not trusting their own instincts. It is sad. If you can't figure out your own life, how can you expect your kids to be self-reliant and self-sufficient? That is mostly what I always wanted for my girls, that they would be able to take care of themselves. Just being able to decide what comes next in life is a learned skill, not one that just happpens, and no one else can show you that. It is process of trial and error.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  6:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Clare- This is crazy!!!The woman in that article is none other than Barbara Brower (daughter of David Brower of the Sierra Club), my most dear mentor! Little did I know she would be in this wonderful article you posted the link to. She is one amazing woman, having raised her kids all over Nepal, Texas, Oregon and now Berkeley CA(she is also the editor of the Himalayan Research Bulletin and is one awesome farmgirl having done much of her research on Yak Husbandry in High Asia). She is at Berkeley as a visiting prof this year and if anyone ever gets a chance to meet this amazing Mama they should!
On topic, there is a new book called 'Last Child in the Woods' it is all about what happens when we deprive our kids of time in unkept nature- has anyone read it? I have it on request at the library and I can't wait to read it.
Yah for this thread, I needed to see that name again and remember how amazing the women I know are!!! I have taken many classes from Barbara and I always loved the collection of young women who sought out her classes- she is a magnetic force (much like our Mary Jane!) and will do so much good for the world through her teachings.
Thanks for reading my ramblings, Rebekka XOXOXO
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  04:12:40 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I think it is very sad when someone has to write a book about children and "Nature Deficit Disorder".

I had an "aha!" moment when I read the post about children learning to solve problems on their own and with others when playing outside and an adult is usually not right there. - that is so true and such a valuable skill!

Our children go outside everyday unless it is below 10 degrees (and even then we will walk into town to do errands). We have a great sledding hill within site of our house so we are blessed. But they also have to care for the chickens. My two oldest also go to the post office together for me to mail orders.

Being outside is just so important for everyone, not just children.

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Simple Living, Homestead Dreaming Mom of 5
http://www.naturalearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  09:52:28 AM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone. I am lucky my daughter is a tomboy (like I was) and loves to be outside catching lizards, playing with the goats, and climbing the trees. Yes, she gets filthy but that's part of being a kid. It always makes me cringe when I see girls dressed as Disney Princesses who don't want to play outside for fear they will get their new Cinderella dress dirty. Kids need to play in dirt and explore their world. We also have a large organic garden. My daughter and her friends eat the snap peas, strawberries, blueberrries, tomatoes, etc.. right off the plants. Gardening is a great way to get kids outside and appreciate where their food comes from.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  11:07:48 PM  Show Profile
We've had such a cold freezing snap I've had to keep mine in the house ever since a couple days after our first snow. When they are bigger I think I can let them be out in it more but if the cold is biting me through my coat I have no business putting the wee rats out in it no matter how bundled up they are. I have noticed a HUGE difference lately because of it.

They aren't taking naps or going to bed at night very easily, and they are cranky pee baby whiners all day long because as fun as all their toys may be, it's just not the same as fresh air. Kaylee has been dogging me all day everyday with "mommy doin? mommy doin? She just doesn't get that independant type play and exploration time that stimulates her mind (and wears her out)when we can't go wonder around in the yard, so she expects me to entertain her all day or she begs to watch baby elephants (Dumbo) over and over all day long.

Because we've been cooped up, I've been letting her watch it once a day, but after that she just has to play with her elephant toys instead. :)

I really don't know how people just keep their kids in the house all day every day without going bonkers! It's not only good for the kids but it's also good for the adults because it winds them down enough that they give their parents some peace :)

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  2:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Everyone has such great insight. I think all y'all could teach others a thing or two about kids.

We've homeschooled our daughters for 10 years. Part of what attracted me to this type of education was that, at the time 10 years ago, the trend was for informal, hands-on, living books and life experiences as education. It is only now that my oldest is entering the 9th grade that we've gotten "serious" about textbooks and workbooks and such. She has had such a full life of exploring the outdoors and figuring things out on her own that she has a great work ethic and foundation for learning these higher level courses. We've spent these years clocking in more time outside than in, more time dirty than clean, more time hammering nails than hammering at the books and all the time loving and having fun with each other.
About the trend, many companies that sell homeschool curriculums are really pushing the "genious at three" mentality. If you've seen the movie "Daddy Day Care" then you'll get the picture. Remember the preschool where the kids were learning latin and other languages and being taught the SAT prep stuff? That's how the homeschooling circle has become. In the end of that movie, the true important achievements were not academic at all. But of character and relationships. To be honest, I have no doubt that my daughter will score high on the college tests, if she chooses that road. She'll probably even know latin. But, the formality of learning it didn't have to start when she was 3.
I guess my point is that even in circles of people that you think have chosen a more natural and down to earth lifestyle are getting sucked in by the current.

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

spirithigh
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Tara

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  5:19:12 PM  Show Profile
My two year old already has three "pitch forks" hanging in the barn. We have three horses and he insists on graining, haying and picking up after them as best he can. When he steps in some manure I don't freak out. It's all a part of living on our little mini-farm. His dad is strickly a city guy so that bothers him. Bahaha. Anyway, in warmer weather he would much rather be outside puttering and playing in our back yard getting totally muddy then being inside. I hope his love of nature continues as I plan to be outside with him as much as possible. Now we need to get him ON the horses to start riding this summer. I so strongly agree that fresh air and activity is so much better then sitting inside watching too much TV!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Kids Stay Inside Too Much Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page