MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  5:10:19 PM  Show Profile
lol Jonni, yes, it's still allowed there. In fact, I believe there is a nudist co-op around in that area in fact.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  07:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Woman Within has a website and catalog and prices aren't too bad. Often they have special offers on shipping or items. I have gotten purses and jackets free !!! I am a jean and tshirt kind of girl, not tight but comfortable so I can move around.
I work in a school and it is disgusting to see what a lot of the kids are wearing!!!!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  11:23:29 AM  Show Profile
When I pass the schools in Boise I have to say some of the girls look like young hookers.

I am proud to say our school has a strict dress code. Girls can't wear the thin strap tops, no midriff/belly can show and no short short skirts or shorts. If a girl wears inappropriate clothing she is sent to the office and given to wear (I love this) some smelly old t-shirt from the lost and found. We don't get many repeat offenders I am happy to say.

We found the inappropriate clothing to be disruptive in the class rooms. We have even talked about uniforms to be fair to all. Maybe small towns have more control than the huge schools.

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  03:12:59 AM  Show Profile
I work in a small school around 800 total K - 12 and it is not better at all. I think there is suppose to be a code but about the only thing I see is beer shirts or offensive being turned inside out but a lot of skin shows. Even in the elementary the little girls have bellies hanging out or pants so low you see more on the back end you want to!!! They just aren't allowed to be innocent children anymore and it makes me sick.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  08:31:51 AM  Show Profile
I believe in dressing modestly and teach my almost 16 yo daughter to do the same. We don't wear skirts all the time but I do like to frequently. It makes you feel more feminine. It is getting harder and harder to find modest clothing.

Men are very visual and these girls are out there baring it all and then wondering why they are being looked at in that way or comments are being made. Some girls just need to be taught. There are mothers out there to encourage their daughters to be immodest and "sexy". They don't know that what they are doing will only bring them the wrong kind of attention.

Here is a link to a modest clothing website that was started by a young girl. It is all modest and stylish. Some very cute things and the prices are good, too.

http://www.christa-taylor.com/

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  09:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Saw this thread & gotta throw in my 2 cents..

When I worked at a city library in Virginia, let me tell you!! The image of a librarian was totally thrown out the window by how some of the women dressed in there!! It was skanky all the way for some of them, and a low-cut blouse was just considered normal.

I always wear short sleeves in summer, not sleeveless. I don't like the look of sleeveless anymore. And my dress length is usually below the knee. But I always try to make the dress as hip as I can, so I dont look like an old maid.

When I worked at the library, I'd always wear jeans (putting books on the bottom shelf doesn't exactly allow you to wear a short skirt..but some of the women would...) and some kind of top that wasn't all sleezy looking.

I've got 3 son's an' I won't even go into what they have to say about how some of their teachers used to dress where they went to school...yee gadz...

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  09:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmm.... me thinks I may be a bit too liberal for this topic!

Although I dont think I'm disrespectful in any way, shape or form, I do like to dress like the voluptouis (sp) woman I am. It reminds my husband eye to not stray. I am not comfortable in low low rise jeans, however, if I had the body type, I'd wear em. Althouugh I can assure you my skivvies would not be making any appearances. I like lower cut tops, my grandma always said "if ya got it, flaunt it". "The girls" are ALWAYS nestled and snug in their cups. They never get the opportunity to "spill out". I am comfortable in my skin and in my clothes. I am woman, hear me roar!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~

Edited by - deeredawn on May 12 2009 10:09:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  5:56:38 PM  Show Profile
Believe it or not, my husband prefers modest dress. I haven't seen you, so this isn't personally about you, just about other women we see around here. My husband often comments about how it just isn't sexy or pretty, the way many of them dress, yet that's how they think they are dressing. My husband says he prefers the way I dress.

And what he sees in the bedroom, is all. lol hahaha It's only for his eyes...not the rest of the worlds. lol I'm comfortable in my own skin as well. Very much so.....I've never been a prude with my husband, or embarrassed for him to see me. But, my body belongs to him.......and as he says, he wants to be the only one allowed to see it. :)

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  6:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, Heather! I agree!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  03:04:38 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you Heather. No offense to anyone because we all have our own reasons. We are secure with each other and "bedroom" cloths are for us only :-)
Rae

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  07:38:19 AM  Show Profile
What I'm reading most in this thread aside from most of us feeling more comfortable in modest attire, is that we each seem to have self confidence and a comfortability with "who we are" that makes us attractive to other people and don't need to go to other extremes....I've thought about this often enough when I'm feeling insecure and thinking, do I look too conservative, or simply classic?

What was I wearing the day that time stopped for a few moments when Justin's and my eyes met? I was wearing a pair of khaki capris and a grey cotton t-shirt with flip flops--and he's only ever said I was and still am "hot" and beautiful. Now, was that outfit sexy? I think not.

That same summer, I ran around with a friend (who's no longer a friend) who just tried too hard to appeal to men--any man. And one evening, I got up from our table at the pub and went to the restroom. When I came back she said rather huffily, "I'm not going out with you anymore--you make me feel so ugly!!! I get all dressed up and put makeup on and look phenomenal, and you show up in a ratty pair of jeans and a tshirt and all the men look at you!"

So, I think it's how we present ourselves in our clothes that is the determining factor for "being sexy" or feeling pretty--modest attire or no :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on May 13 2009 07:39:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  09:44:52 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree with you Jonni. It is less what we wear, but how we wear it. If we, as women, are confident in who we are, that in itself is sexy. No matter if we are in a cocktail dress or jeans and a ratty tee, men are drawn to women who are comfortable in their own skin.
Furthermore, when women try to pick up men by looking trashy they only attract 'one night standers' or boys with a bunch of their own personal issues. You don't get nice, put together, real men, by looking like a hooker.
It is sad, I have one close girlfriend that is desperate for men's attention. Most of this stems from her childhood, but when we go out she switches on me. The cool easy going, funny girl becomes this flirty, struting, and obviously needy women. She brings homes these guys that are just ugh... not nice men, and then wonders why they don't call later. All I can do is pray she figures it out or meets a nice boy, that respects her and gets to know the real girl she is.

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  10:12:55 AM  Show Profile
hahahaha! this thread is hilarious. I had to throw a wrench in it. Seriously. I believe deep down in my heart of hearts its not what you wear, but how you project yourself. I'm off to a gardening thread now!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  10:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think we just need to remember that we all should wear what makes us comfortable, and that each of us farmgirls is individual and unique. I have got to be the least fashion concious person out there. I am more apt to wear jeans and a T-Shirt, but I often put a pull over sweater or jacket over the T-Shirt. I like to wear skirts as long as they fall below the knee- I hate worrying if my bum is going to show if I lean over to pick up my daughter! Comfort first, feeling good about my clothes second, and third is fashion!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  10:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Flannel shirt over the T is my favorite, until it gets to hot for the flannel.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  11:01:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry. I should've never posted here. I started out joking and just wanting to take a few light hearted jabs, however I got to really thinking here. If a woman, completely rocks it in a tight dress heels, make up etc, she is judged. Not just by men, but obviously by most of you, who believe, according to how I'm taking the posts, that modesty equals 'cover'. Sorry. I dont agree. My husband is the most clean cut, sincere farmer out there who likes a trashy looking woman. I'm not above flaunting my assets, so I guess I'm a wicked evil woman. this is just about enough to push me off this forum. I came here to not be judged by how I choose to look but rather by the woman I am at heart. I'm a sexy cannin, gardenin, mommy, poop-scoopin farmgirl and proud of it. This reminds me of a song I sing at kareoke...Harper Valley PTA...

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  11:12:17 AM  Show Profile
I don't know what's in your tree, but I don't think anyone is judging you here...no posts were posted to make you feel singled out.

Geez. If you're cool with who you are, so be it. But you don't have to convince any of us of it, or your husband's tastes. Wow!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  11:19:38 AM  Show Profile
Also adding, I'd hate for you to leave the forum over something like this...I thought your post was lighthearted and I laughed. Just because I'm comfortable in a sweater set and pearls doesn't mean I think you're trampy if you're not.

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  11:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Be who you are and let others be the same. I don't think that you need to leave over this Dawn. Our differences make us who we are. Just because I like long dresses and skirts doesn't make you any less a good person....I've had to really think about my reply here because I don't want to hurt or exclude anyone.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  12:13:03 PM  Show Profile
I would really like to take the time to share something with you all. I worked 3 years as a fitness instructor at a gym. I did personal training and weight classes. When a woman came up to be bursting with exuburance that she lost 3 lbs and was rockin' it in a tighter top, I applauded her. Never did I judge her, or think to myself she ought not to wear that because of modesty issues. You dont know these womens stories. I have heard too many women talk about no hope, no happiness, and no love. It was people like me that spent HOURS, WEEKS and days with them, not just to lose physical weight, but to lose the emotional weight too. If a woman feels like a little cleavage then good for her! Maybe they just lost a significant amount of weight and are proud of their accomplishments, or maybe they just had the their 3rd baby and want to feel human again. Maybe, they were just tired of having no good feelings and thought "hey, I'll wear this short dress today and try to boost my confidence". This thread really hit a nerve with me. I'm truly done here.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  12:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Dawn I hope you don't leave. I just wanted to say that if we went to the bar on Sat night together, we'd probably be wearing close to the same thing. Just your top might look better, cause it sounds like you got more going on up there then I do.
I think we all have different definitions for the word 'modest', when I say trashy I am thinking of washer girl that Heather described on Coney Island or someone wearing clothes so reveling that it is beyond even today’s definition of fashionable.
I also understand that clothing that I think is cute can be too reveling to another women (because I have had women tell me so, as I mentioned above). Now granted we can argue whether such judgment is right or wrong, but I personally have just decided to adapt what I wear based on who I will be around. Lots of folks would argue that I should not let other’s standards dictate what I do, and there may be a point to that. But at the same time, I don’t want friends of mine being uncomfortable because their husbands are affected by something I am wearing.
I think, like you said, the main thing that matters is we please our husbands. Mine sounds similar to yours, and likes when I try to look a bit sexy, especially if I still have the body to pull it off (check back with me after a few more kids on that one). He feels like he has something of value when other men look, though I might not agree I understand where he is coming from.
It sounds like we all are comfortable in our own skin, and that is what’s most important.

Edited by - C.W. on May 13 2009 2:12:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  12:23:38 PM  Show Profile
I think some of this is taken way out of context. A lot of what bothers me is young girls, and I mean young dressing like they were 18 and acting like that. They are exposed to way to much and not allowed to be children anymore.
I dress in jeans and T's cause I am comfortable and also about all I can afford. My jeans are not expensive and neither are my shirts. Comfort is what I go for, and I don't personally like my body falling out of my clothes :-)
Rae

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  12:49:49 PM  Show Profile
hmmmm... very interesting thread!! who knew fashion could be such a HOT topic?!! LOL! I guess it's because I don't know squat about fashion! But I do know that I dont like the clothes I see in the stores these days for girls and young ladies, like pretty much everyone said, they are just too revealing or trashy. And I can't imagine my baby girl (4) wearing what i see other preschoolers wearing, much less what i see most pre teens wearing! I think fashion is like some have said about being comfortable in your own skin. but I also think that too many people are overly concerned with fashion, thus comes judgement calls and dirty looks. I guess if it weren't for people that dress "too revealing" or with there personal assetts "falling out", some people wouldn't have anything to judge or talk about. People like "that" sure seem to keep the world interesting!...lol.

I personally am a "go for comfort" type of gal...and just really don't have the time or energy at this point in my life to be concerned with fashion. Maybe when my babies are older, and I can actually make it to my vehicle without getting a stain or smudge of some sort on me before we even hit the highway!...LOL Soooo...i guess the fashion thing seems to be a plain and simple issue of individuality and personality. Those who prefer the modest route, and those who don't. Thanks to the "If ya got it, flaunt it" people out there, the modest people have something to talk about. LOL In a manner of speaking, it's just one more thing that make the world go 'round!
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  1:21:48 PM  Show Profile
I certainly do not think this was in any way meant to judge anyone. It was just meant for people to share what they feel. I personally am more concerned for my daughter's sake. I don't like the idea of someone looking her up and down for the wrong reasons and always encourage her to dress modestly. That does not mean she is wearing long skirts and covered from head to toe. The girl loves fashion. She wants to look stylish, cute and not frumpy and I don't want that for her either.

We are all grown women. We should do whatever we are comfortable with and makes our husbands happy. We will never all share the same opinion. That would make it all too boring.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  1:25:10 PM  Show Profile
very true ruth, I agree with you.......just like the worrld would be very boring if we were all the "if ya got it, flaunt it" type....and the same for if we were all the "modest" type. Could you imagine??? uugghh!! Then no one would have anything to talk about!! LOL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Modest Dressing/Attire Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page