True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  06:33:28 AM  Show Profile
It's not your fault Rae. It's his.

But, I wanted to add, again I don't think it is ever a child's fault for being molested no matter how they are dressed, nor a woman's for being raped.

BUT, kind of like what some one's brother said....if you don't want the attention don't dress a certain way.

Pedophiles probably could care less how a child is dressed, cause they're sick in the head......at the same time, I try to dress my child like a child...and not a mini prostitute, cause I feel why put a flaming target on her. And when I say mini prostitute that is extreme as well...sadly here in NYC I've seen it! Very sadly. I don't think most people do that though, but here in the ghetto some do. I see them out with their children at all times of night with matching clubbing outfits! And the child is only 2 or 3 years old! I don't go out with my child late at night, or to clubs! lol haha But, I know others do here, because there's been emergencies where I've had to leave that late (hospital and what have you) and seen them out there like that. Very sad in my opinion for their children.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  06:52:40 AM  Show Profile
No one does is at fault other than the perpetrator (SP?) We wonder why kids have the problems they do, I know a lot that are growing up in the bars by their parents sides :-( My daughter has been disgusted by some of the clothes out there for little girls, hers is 1 1/2 years old!!!!

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  06:55:12 AM  Show Profile
oops should say no one is at fault other than.... brain is way behind the fingers today :-)

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  08:01:08 AM  Show Profile
I do agree with some of what Kathryn has to say... and maybe I am too harsh with my fellow woman in regards to this subject.
I just know what I wanted when I dressed very revealing, and it was men's attention, if they were with another women, all the better. Call it self esteem issues, but there is POWER in sex, and it is a control thing, or at least for me. I knew what I was doing when I walked out of the house and I knew the results, and in this society you get stuff.... whether it be quicker service, free drinks, ect. My dress was purposeful and its intent was purposeful.
Now that I am married, and working on actually following Christ....instead of just claiming I am a Christian, I am working on my dress, and my desires when it comes to men.

Furthermore, I need to be more loving, most of you were right in the sense that we don’t know where these other girls have been or their history, I should not be so quick to judge. Thanks for reminding me of this.

Edited by - C.W. on Jun 02 2009 08:01:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  09:02:36 AM  Show Profile
I am sure we all have baggage, I know my share wouldn't even fit on an acre :-( Sex is powerful for getting what one wants but like you Chelsea I am married and have been for quite a while and am tried to be more Christ like, not only doing the talk but also the walk.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  10:23:28 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I would agree with you ninety nine percent........ A baby does not need a two piece bathing suit, and kids do not need SHORT shorts, especially running around in a playground, climbing trees, and in the sunshine most of the day.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  1:07:55 PM  Show Profile
Well,sweetheart,it's a free country :)

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  8:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know of a good magazine, book or website that caters to modesty.
I have done some research online, but some of the sites I have perused seem so hoity-toity-holier-than-thou.
I seek encouragement, not judgement.
Also, to you modest gals, do you wear skirts only, or do you wear pant/capris at all?

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  03:46:06 AM  Show Profile
I wear jeans a lot. When I am home I wear shorts,sometimes, but they sure are nothing to excite anyone!! Just some old elastic waist comfortable things. I am a clutz and seem to spend time on the ground on my face so pants and the such are good for me

I also wear jeans for work as I work with emotional/behavior disorder kids and never quite know what the day will entail. Mine are very appropriate though for this 50+ aged farm girl.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  05:47:37 AM  Show Profile
I dress modest. I do wear Jeans but not the low riders. everything is covered, lol.
I am very small on top so no cleavage even if I tried DUH!! I wear long skirts or just below the knee. In winter I have a pair of short skirts (yes in winter lol)but I wear them with 70 or 80 denier black tights, looks like a legging. And boots that look cute. IMO anyway lol.

For the rest, modest is my mantra. I dislike the modern day clothes for the little girls. Sexy?? Little girls should NOT be sexy, just cute.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  12:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Dutchy.
I wear jeans too. I actually wear the "low rider" jeans. The cut relieves the tension on my C-section-from-heck scarring. Higher riding jeans make that unbearable and painful.
However, everything is covered (a lot) so the "muffin tops" aren't hanging out.

I am trying desperately to get into the skirt thing. The thought of a skirt in a thousand below zero weather terrifies me. Perhaps I will wear skirts in reasonable weather.

I just feel hanging out all over/skimpy clothes are nasty.
I am a Christian, but some modesty blogs seem a little too holier-than-thou to me.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jul 11 2009 12:45:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  01:33:29 AM  Show Profile
I agree Kate. I am a Christian too. But that doesn't mean we can't wear modern and fun clothes! Just not the all out ones. But nice and modern can also be modest :)
And I too HAVE a pair of the low rider jeans.And still covering up., lol I so dislike the strings showing with some (most??) of the low riders!!NASTY IMO lol.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  05:32:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kate can you imagine our winters and skirts Jeans with long underwear don't even do it some days but skirts would be fun in the summer. I am so used to pants it would be a change though and I tend to go for comfort at this point in life.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  07:12:38 AM  Show Profile
My natural style is long sun dresses and long skirts. I am more comfortable in loose and free fabric. In the summer I like my grandma, will reach down between my legs, get hold of the back of my skirt pulling it forward and up to tuck into the front of my waist band. INSTANT shorts! LOL Broom skirts are my favorite. I don't have to worry about the cold weather here in TX but when we lived in Northern CA snow country I still wore long dresses and skirts. My favorite was the pattern where you cut your worn out blue jeans off below the pockets and added a gathered skirt. I made them in thick floral corduroy and wool. I made layers of flannel slips under them. Never thought of my dressing to be modest or because I'm a Christian, just what I enjoy and feel good in.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  08:10:03 AM  Show Profile
I raised four girls and two boys and now have a multitude of grandchildren. We also homeschooled and the general culture there is very conservative. My two youngest played tennis, so most of you know the tennis court attire is designed for heat , especially here in Texas. We did raise some eyebrows , especially from some of the parents that didn't participate in sports. To make a long story short......I usually don't pay much attention to how someone is dressed unless it is so obviously out of place. I am more offended by the magazine covers at the checkout stands or even some material at flea markets and antique stores. Honestly, we went to a museum for retired airplanes from the different wars and I asked for my money back. The nude painings of girls on the planes , in my opinion should have been put in a hanger with a notice posted outside. My 12 year old daughter was so embarrased and we had no warning when they appeared. I guess living here where it is so hot several months out of the year I am used to shorts and tank tops. They are the normal. I tell my group that I would appreciate not seeing anything hanging out and the whole crack pants thing is disgusting. My kids grew up swimming in their underwear when they were little ones. We didn't have the money for swimsuits.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  08:10:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh I like the instant short thing Melody June!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  09:54:00 AM  Show Profile
I have to giggle at Melody June's instant shorts. I used to do that when I was a kid.

Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  2:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Chiming in here... I totally understand how teen girls would want to wear attractive clothing that flaunts their assets. I went through the same thing as a teenager and on into my 20s. Low-cut shirts, short shorts and mini-skirts, etc. I don't think I ever got close to looking like a hooker, but I enjoyed the attention that I got at the time.

But now, I see where so many times this type of clothing gets the *wrong* type of attention from males, and many times the wrong kind of males to boot. Most of the guys that I attracted were... well, not the kind of guy I was interested in.

These days (I'm 30), my wardrobe is changing. I'm usually wearing one of the following:

* long, maxi-length sleeveless dress w/ a tank or tee underneath, or a cardigan over
* short dress w/ leggings & flats
* jeans or capris w/ a long tunic top

Nothing is Duggar-ish or frumpy. I like to dress a little artsy, funky, or boho-ish, but still keep the important stuff covered. Most importantly, it's about comfort... I HATE tugging on my clothes to keep my necklines up and my hemlines down, or worrying about showing off my business if I bend over to pick something up.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Farmgirl Sister #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  5:06:30 PM  Show Profile
My Daughter goes to consignment shops and thrift stores to get cloths that dont show everything for my granddaughter. And she has been able to get some really cute things. I go to them also and buy shirts that go over the pants not above them. My granddaughter is a little shy so she really doesnt like the fashion now taht the other girls are where her age (10).

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  9:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Deborah,
I hope she stays a little shy/modest. My daughter was that way too, and for the most part she still is. However, she is also a dancer, so some of her outfits are a little skimpier than I like. But she dances like a silk scarf on a breeze and LOVES every minute of it.

Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  07:42:23 AM  Show Profile
I work part time at a community college,and I'll tell you,I can't believe how sleazy a lot of the girls dress. I usually live in jeans,t shirts,modest tank tops,and hippie blouses. My personal opinion is colleges need some sort of dress code for the students. Even the guys-a lot of them think its cool to wear their jeans so low their boxers are showing & the jeans are about ready to fall off. One Hanes Place Outlet has wonderful tank tops that are very modest. (I'm chesty so I'm always careful about that sort of thing)

www.mandochicks.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  08:19:32 AM  Show Profile
Don't you hate that, seeing guys underwear. Drives me nuts and their pants hanging off. I am sorry but nothing attractive about that!

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  10:25:52 PM  Show Profile
No,and I wonder why they think it is remotely attractive! Yuck-yuck-yuck. I am glad my son doesn't wear his that way. Probably because I told him I would staple his pants to his waist if he did. Yes, I am that mean. :)

Oh, and I wear men's "wifebeater" tank undershirt under stuff that is too short or low cut. They shrink enough to be longer to hide the muffin tops too.

Edited by - kissmekate on Aug 04 2009 10:27:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

DivaHick
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Megan
Alliance OH
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  09:07:52 AM  Show Profile
My favorite radio station had a conversation on their morning show(I think) about the way women and girls dress now compared to 50-60 years ago (or more). The one host, a father of girls, brought up a good point. Don't you think that our grandmothers COULD have worn the same fashions the young girls are wearing today? Why didn't they? But they DID work hard to have something tailor made to flatter their shape and figure. They seem to have had more knowledge of cuts and textures and fabrics and know what's going to lay beautifully on them and flatter them just as they are.

Do you think he had a point?

Yes I play the spoons, but I do it with perfectly manicured nails...
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  06:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I don't think I would even let a guy dressed so crude to get in my car..or walk in my house! It's very common here for some young men to do that boxer looking pants down style..yuk!!

Linda in Scranton, PA

Put on the apron of humility.
1 Peter 5:5
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Modest Dressing/Attire Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page