Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  3:20:31 PM  Show Profile
I have a question: Do you wet your newspapers before you place them on the ground?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  7:13:51 PM  Show Profile
Betty - I haven't, I have just covered them with straw. I think though, that if you laid the newspapers down, them wet them thoroughly, then covered them with straw it might work just a bit better. I'm going to try that on the next go-round. I have also discovered that if you buy a bale of straw in the fall and let it sit all winter, then use it it is more effective than fresh straw, it holds together better and makes more of a mat.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  06:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Amy, I have no idea how to get straw. I live in a development and not many people grow their own veggies. I do not like to put grass clippings on the garden because the grass has been chemically fertilized and has no place in the garden. Even when I wasn't fertilizing the grass, I have difficulty getting the grass to compost and usually end up putting it in the garbage.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

justbe
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kris
Garland Texas
USA
48 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  07:50:48 AM  Show Profile
That's such a great idea. I've never considered that but will be getting some newspaper today. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  09:06:02 AM  Show Profile
Betty,
I buy my straw at our local feed and pet stores, there should be a feed supply place somewhere close to you. Ours are Aslin Finch, and Northwest seed and Pet. I didn't know where to get it either when I started doing this - I don't blame you for not wanting to put your grass clippings on if they are fertilized. I was reading an article about just that - a fellow had gotten some grass clippings from a friend and put them on his potatoes and killed them -yikes!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  08:41:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I'm new here and just love it!!

I have a 16'X16' raised bed garden with nice walkways. I put thick newspaper and free burlap sacks down (in the walkways) then water them and add crushed granite. Makes a nice solid, clean area to walk and set planters etc. The newspaper and burlap will eventually biodegrade. Nice way to recycle, too.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  1:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Where did you find free burlap sacks that sounds like a great addition. Welcome you will love it here there are always things to learn from each other.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  4:34:27 PM  Show Profile
If I put my newspapers down now and put compost over how soon could I use
the bed?
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  06:17:25 AM  Show Profile
I have put news paper down a few times and I do like to use it but some times I just forget it. I was told not to use the colored paper or the shiney add sections.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  07:54:33 AM  Show Profile
I have never done this but we have been saving feed bag for the garden weed control. So, later this year will be able to add to the reports. I am in agreement that it will work. Last year weeding took precious time away from other things. Hoping that it will be different this time. Happy Spring, Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  08:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi all - In the walkways I do use shiny and/or colored paper but in the planting beds I don't. Feed sacks, potato sacks and grain sacks are all free and great to use (I use them for a ton of things (I sew purses and grocery sacks with them too).
The veggie beds have a layer of fine chicken wire (keeps out gophers), a layer of weed fabric then a thick layer of mulch & compost then dirt. I only use the newspaper between rows (which I don't often have since I plant very concentrated with few spaces).

(Antoinette) If you put the newspaper down now and compost/dirt over it you could plant immediately. Once the plants are up, just add newpaper between and around the plants

Happy planting! I love this time of year.
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  08:07:32 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Bart!!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  08:59:55 AM  Show Profile
Bart, that is a great idea about the chicken wire. The gophers are killing me here. I am going to check around for some free feed sacks.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  08:14:10 AM  Show Profile
I've put newspaper down and then built my soil up on top of it, never tried strips in between the plants. Thankx for the tip! How do you put down the chicken wire? We have voles that have decided the garden area is nice.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  09:13:53 AM  Show Profile
I have been doing this for years now. At the end of the season when we put the garden to rest we just till everything under. Never knew it had a name but I can tell you it works great for keeping the weeds away and adding new compost to your garden each year.
Tammyb
Sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Terryindiana
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Terry
Marion Indiana
USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  3:52:59 PM  Show Profile
I do lasagna gardening which consists of:

1st layer - newspaper
2nd layer - compost
3rd layer - peat moss
4th layer - top soil

You end up with a raised bed - grew some great vegetables last year.
Newspaper is great to control weeds but you have to have something on top to hold it down.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  06:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Alicia - I put the chicken wire down all over the garden (it's only 16 X 16') and run it up the fence about 6-10"; then put down the geotextile fabric (weed blocker), then the dirt and composted material and then the plants and the "top dressing of paper etc to mulch it all.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  6:33:13 PM  Show Profile
i use newpaper for lining the bottom of my pots so the dirt does not run out and it does make great mulch
at the beginning of the spring when i empty to containers into the garden or around my flower beds

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Carla Bynum
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

carla
Bedford KY
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  07:54:21 AM  Show Profile
My Mom and her Mom always had newspaper gardens and were always beautiful!!!! hugs

Never let fear stop you from dancing on the Moon!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Carla Bynum
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

carla
Bedford KY
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  08:00:13 AM  Show Profile
My Mom and her mom always had newspaper gardens and they were always beautiful!!!! hugs
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  4:24:23 PM  Show Profile
Your Granny was a smart lady! It's great because it doesn't disturb the earthworms and other beneficial critters.

I've been "lasagna gardening" for the last three years. We have beautiful, dark, healthy soil from it. We save newspapers minus the colored sections, paper bags and corrugated cardboard. This Fall we will be starting a new section of garden and allowing it to compost over the winter. In the Spring there will be nice soil. Patricia Lanza wrote a book entitled, Lasagna Gardening, published by Rodale, that gives clear, precise directions and great pix.

It's easy and less weeds.

Happy Gardening,
Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  8:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I have done this for years in my flower beds and I have 20 sections of rail fencing that I used newspaper and topped with soil and all I do is add more soil to dress it off every spring. No weeds since and all my perenials are great. This year I did something different in my veggie garden. I had a few pallets around here and I decided to use them in the garden. I planted my zuchinni and other squashes in the openings in the pallets as well as peppers and beans. I took out slats where I needed to then put newspaper and straw around them. I put newspaper and straw around my other plants and walkways. No weeds at all. Next year I will get more pallets and plant everything in them. The squashes don't like to lay on the ground and the slats will give them an area to rest on. They look so healthy. My husband told me I was crazy doing it but since has decided that I made a garden with less hassle and was able to plant more than if I had just planted in rows. I'll keep you posted as to my progress.

Closer to God in my garden.
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  07:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Nice idea Darlene! I have access to lots and lots of large cardboard boxes at work so I use those with grass clippings on top of them for areas of the garden that I'm not ready to really work yet - I have a large garden space that was completely overrun with very tall weeds when we bought the house so I'm working a bit at a time.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  12:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Some call it lasagna gardening where you layer newspapers and compost. I have a book called Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces: A Layering System for Big Results in Small Gardens and Containers by Patricia Lanza. But of course, the method can be used for larger gardens, also.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  11:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Great thread. I am doing newspaper gardening in my home garden and am happy with the results so far; minimal weeds.

This year I planted a large garden at my mother's house, about 4 hours from where I live. A popular method of gardening in her area is using black plastic. So many gardeners there told me about their successes with it that I am trying it too. I laid out a large sheet of recycled agricultural grade black plastic on the untilled sod. I cut holes through the plastic, where I wanted to plant the seeds or the transplants, to reveal the grass and sod under it, used a small round piont shovel to remove the sod and work up the soil. I prepped the small revealed area of soil with a handful of compost and then planted in the hole in the plastic. The plastic is weighted down with old tires. I haven't been back to check on the garden since I planted in Memorial Day weekend. I will be there this weekend, so I will know if it is working or not.

I also planted a newspaper garden next to the black plastic garden.

Lida
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic "Newspaper Gardens" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page