AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  08:13:39 AM  Show Profile
The pallets are a great idea Darlene! My hubby thinks if you made a little teepee with two of em and planted beans or peas, something that needed a trellis, you could train them up the side of the pallets. This year I'm putting an old char that has no seat in the garden, and I'll train my pumpkin vines or squash up the chair.
I did the newspapers in my lettuce and spinach, and so far it's working pretty good. But the weeds here are rampant, with strong winds to help blow them around, so I still have some weeding to do. But it's easier.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  7:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Alicia that trellis idea sounds like it would work great. I was in my garden all day today. Everything is growing like crazy and looks so healthy. My yellow squash and zuchinni are already producing small veggies. Next year I will plant everything in pallots. There are no weeds at all. I was out until 7pm. I was so dirty from adding more pallots,newspaper and straw to get ready for anything else I can get on monday from our feedstore. I'm in heaven in my garden or flowerbeds. I got into one of my outside clawfoot tubs to wash before I went in to take a shower. The water was so warm. Might I say I did this au natural. Can you tell I live in the country on a dirt lane! Me the birds,deer and nature. Whoopie! I'm quite reserved but this is sooo relaxing after the gardening! I have 2 tubs side by side and I bricked all around them like a patio. One faces one way and the other faces the other way so if 2 of us are in the tubs we can see each other and talk. With clothes on of course! After my pool needed repair and the kids were on their own this was my solution for cooling off. The GKS love it too! Can't wait till monday to get more stuff!

Blessings and Happy Gardening,
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  05:54:45 AM  Show Profile
We also do the newspaper idea and it works great. You arent suppose to use the glossy magazine type pages however.
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  7:22:17 PM  Show Profile
I've done this too. I put about 10 layers of newspaper, then water well so it doesn't blow away, then I put hay on top. I also put boards on top of the hay as my "paths" and am told this helps keep slugs out. They will live under the boards but if you lift the boards up in the morning and get all the slugs off, in a couple of days you shouldn't have very many.

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.ning.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  7:56:19 PM  Show Profile
This is what we have always done too, I read an article about it when I was a teenager and have been using this technique since. HAs anyone tried gardening in strawbales?

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  05:14:59 AM  Show Profile

Sarah,

We put our seed potatoes on newspaper layers, then put about 10-12 inches of straw on top and let them be. Voila! when it's time to harvest, beautiful, clean potatoes, no work, no weeding during the summer. It seems hard to believe that potatoes don't need to be planted in soil, but we can attest to the fact that it works great.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  09:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Judy that is amazing! I am going to try that!

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  10:51:38 AM  Show Profile
Judy
My hubby "stole" my two old cast iron tubs (I was going to do herbs in them) for the potatoes. We put down some soil mixed with horse manure (we have PLENTY!), and then covered the whole thing in straw. They are coming up nicely. He read/heard that as they grow you continue to cover them with straw. Did you notice a need to do keep adding straw?

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  8:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I belong to another garden group and a lady posted a picture of her plants in the strawbales. They were planted directly into the whole bales and the plants were very healthy looking. Seems like a good solution for people who have little garden area.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  8:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Darlene, that is exactly what I am referring to. THe article I read discussed a family that had just moved into a new property, hadnt had time to prepare soil for a garden and used the bales, the plus side was no weeds!

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  8:25:49 PM  Show Profile
I tried the straw bale gardening a couple of years ago and it was a big flop!!!! They dried out so fast that my plants just burned up. I watered everyday first thing but this Missouri sun just wreaked havoc.

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  06:58:18 AM  Show Profile
We tried potatoes in old bathtubs, with a tiny bit of soil in the bottom and then straw filling the rest. They grew ok on the top, but when we pulled em up there were NO spuds!! I wanted those old tubs for a kitchen herb garden anyhow. :)
I put newspaper strips in between my lettuce rows last spring and had to keep rocks on top of em to keep em from blowing away. The wind here can get horrible and gusty. It DID keep the weeds down, some of the little devils grew sideways until they were out from under the newspaper. They were easy to pick.

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

cottagefarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Cathy
Marion NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:22:06 AM  Show Profile

I did this in a back bed that was lacking. I put a layer of newspaper covered with about 8-9 inches of mulch. It wintered over, and I planted things in the Spring. Best bed in my yard that year. Elephant ears that dwarfed my hubby (who is 6'4"). It is a wonderful, simple garden tool to have in your bag of tricks. Grannies are usually very wise, and this proves that.
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  11:13:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey Cathy,

Nice to see another North Carolina girl here. One day we might be neighbors as we have property in Burke County and hope to retire there!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

cottagefarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Cathy
Marion NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  1:21:06 PM  Show Profile
Hey KathyC,

Burke is right next door to me, county-wise anyway. Email me sometime and we can get acquainted. Glad to be a part of this all.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  5:07:07 PM  Show Profile
I have been doing this for about 3 years except I put the newspaper down over the entire garden, flowers too, and plant cutting holes for the plants. My perrenial bed was nothing but hard clay soil 3 years ago and is now almost black. I mulch with a 3 inch layer of pine straw every year too. Another tip for reusing-- when I bought my mini farm fixer upper there were all sorts of "stuff" lying around. A large pile of leftover roofing shingles, what to do to recycle? I used them around the base of my house where I didn't want weeds or to have to weed-eat and wha-la instant weed bearer. Happy Gardening!
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  8:32:49 PM  Show Profile
I did the newspaper garden this year and loved it! I didn't have to weed anything until the very end of the season and even that was nominal. I dug my rows, planted the seeds and put string from a stick on each end of the row so I would know where it was. Then I laid down the newspaper, got it all wet so it would stay in place and then put hay over it. At the end of the season my hubby just tilled it into the ground. I plan on doing this again this summer and we now have a garden that is actually the size of a field so it should be interesting!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Judyr808
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Judy
Hood River Oregon
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  4:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Judyr808 a Yahoo! Message
Hay, I've done the news paper for years, it works well around flowers as well as between rows in the veg. garden. I put mulch on top and it works wonderfully. I grow worms too and they love newspaper laced with a little kitchen scraps.
Judy

Love & Light
Go to Top of Page

Judyr808
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Judy
Hood River Oregon
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  4:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Judyr808 a Yahoo! Message
Oh yes, you can use cardboard boxes too. In the fall after everything has been harvested, I open, as many large boxes as I can find, up flat and cover as much of my garden, or cover a new place where I want to plant something new next year. Put a few rocks or shovels of durt on top to hold it down (if it is printed with colored paper on one side place that side up) In the spring, lift them up and see how clear it is under it. Just till into soil or remove and use again until nature breaks it down and it goes back to the earth.
Judy

Love & Light
Go to Top of Page

HollyMaker
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Holly
CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  5:40:41 PM  Show Profile
If you saw my garden now you would think that my choosen crop is weeds and thistles! I have never been able to get ahead of them but I must try this technique this year. There is a local paper that is printed on recycled paper with soy-based inks that would be perfect. I have also heard about growing potatoes in straw. I'll have to find someone around here that has some seasoned straw (from a goat pen) and I guess I'll try my hand at growing potatoes with this method. Thanks for all the ideas ladies!

HollyMaker
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Holly
CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  6:15:30 PM  Show Profile
If you saw my garden now you would think that my choosen crop is weeds and thistles! I have never been able to get ahead of them but I must try this technique this year. There is a local paper that is printed on recycled paper with soy-based inks that would be perfect. I have also heard about growing potatoes in straw. I'll have to find someone around here that has some seasoned straw (from a goat pen) and I guess I'll try my hand at growing potatoes with this method. Thanks for all the ideas ladies!

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  05:25:43 AM  Show Profile
Holly, mine is the same. I have abandoned it for several years and it is not pretty. I have a neighbor who uses newspaper in his flower gardens and they are always beautiful.

God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

Judyr808
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Judy
Hood River Oregon
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  12:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Judyr808 a Yahoo! Message
Holly, when you start your potatoes put only about 3 in. of straw on top of them. When they sprout and there are leaves above the straw put another few in. on top, covering all of the leaves, they will grow through that new straw, keep doing that for as much straw as you have. The potatoes will be all through the straw, they produce so much more this way. Good luck!

Love & Light
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  05:29:09 AM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll

I have also heard of the straw/add-on in small amounts method and my friends have always had tators. My question is: will this also work with shavings that come from my dogs kennels or horse stalls (that have been in dump pile for months).

I love the newspaper gardens. I use it and it works great but the wind does tend to lift it up and "move" it around....put rocks or mulch on top. If you still have left over paper then the thrift store usually takes it to wrap up glass/brakable items. We have decreased the garbage pick up around here by 2/3 the usual amount....we just have to find the "other" uses out there.

Love and Prayers,
Your SISTER
Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  5:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Judy,
I have been watching your posts on the potatoes planted in the straw. I'm very interested in this. Do you just put new or used straw on the ground and start adding seed potatoes? Any info is appreciated! Thanks:)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic "Newspaper Gardens" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page