Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What did you name your farm/ranch and why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic
Page: of 12

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  4:02:29 PM  Show Profile
When my husband and I first bought our land 36 years ago, one of the first things we did was fence, and cross fence along with pastures and corrals. No matter how hard we tried, and with the proper equipment and many people helping, not one fence here came out straight, so we deceided that since we had not named the place yet, it would become "Bent Fence Farm", and the name stuck. Most of my neighbors have been here forever also, and they know the story, but when someone new comes along, I have to tell the story, and they look at me with a total question mark on their faces, but even with crooked fences, they are my fences, and I love them all, lol

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  4:43:49 PM  Show Profile
We are HappyDaze MiniFarm....Hubby's happy, I'm in a daze, and we only have mini animals...except our extra large guard dog.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  6:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Mine is WillowTreeCreek Farm. There was a very special place I liked to go for solitude when I was a kid. It was way out in the woods behind the house where I grew up. It had a huge willow tree and a creek! Everytime I say the name it brings me back to that place in my mind and makes me feel free and happy! Even though I am over a thousand miles from that spot!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  7:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, I love crooked! All the rows in my garden are crooked. I do not like a straight line, especially in a garden. So I just love the name of your farm.

Mine is called Outback Farm because it's so far out and away from anything I always say we live in the outback. So the name stuck.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  8:16:27 PM  Show Profile
We don't have a farm, but we do have a camp we've named. A-Bear Welcome.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:34:27 AM  Show Profile
When I was 19 I started a horseback riding program on a small farm my parents leased for our horses. I called it "Strong Tower Farm" for the verse in Proverbs that says "The name of the Lord is a strong tower - the righteous run to it and are safe."
Now, several years later, I am married and my husband's farming operation is called "Blanchard Farms". But, my parents ended up buying the farm they leased and it is still called "Strong Tower Farm."
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  04:33:49 AM  Show Profile
Our farm sits WAY up on a hill. The driveway is steep and treacherous...you almost have to have 4wd to get up it. Waaaaaaay back in the old days when my fiance's great great grandfather bought it, they'd have to "walk in" and "walk out" when bad storms came. Nowadays, if I'm caught out in the town in my town car (Honda accord) and it snows, I have to walk up the mile long steep driveway. So, we call it "Walk in Walk Out Farms". :)

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  05:22:44 AM  Show Profile
We are still undecided but leaning towards Farm in the Woods. As my grandson said when driving with us one day up the road to our driveway, "We are in the forest!!" Being we will have variety of stuff farm works and we really are in the woods!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  08:22:08 AM  Show Profile
My place is very small (1/3 acre) and during a trip to France years ago I fell in love with the way the French use even the smallest piece of land to grow fresh food. I kept thinking that these small plots looked like little farms, just like mine. So...La Patite Ferme is French for "The Little Farm"

Of course, when I signed up on MJF I didn't realize until aftereward that I actually spelled it wrong. And I was too lazy to bug Carol about changing it.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  12:17:10 PM  Show Profile

Ours is called "Bees of the Woods" Farm

We live in the woods, and our two main occupations are beekeeping and maple sugaring in our woods. Soooooooo

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

arabianhorselover
True Blue Farmgirl

422 Posts

Jennifer
Bedias TX
USA
422 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  2:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Ours is named after our first horse. His name is Whisper and he is arabian. Whisper Winds Arabians

Breeder of Straight Egyptian Arabians and SportHorses
www.whisperwindsarabians.com
Farmgirl Sister #561
Never squat with your spurs on!!!
http://twitter.com/arabhorselover
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  3:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Our place in Idaho is called Heart Mountain Farm & Orchard, because some of the money that came to us that we used to clear land and road came from my hubby's grandmother, via her farm on Heart Mountain, Wyo.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  05:54:14 AM  Show Profile
My parents bought a 5 acre farm back in the 60's for $13000. He was so proud of the fact that he was finally able to give his kids a life in the country, but also still very humble about buying what he could afford. He named our farm Grundon's Oleo Acres... one of the cheaper priced spreads.

Sue
Farmgirl #656

"This is the day that God made, let us drink juice and enjoy it!" - Reece Stutts, age 3
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  08:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well,my horse breeding farm is currently not a farm at all but moves around on four hooves at a boarding stable...but my mom and I have decided to use "Skye Dancer Arabians". Tala looks like she could take flight or dance when she trots- it's absolutely beautiful. I am still undecided about the "e" at the end of Sky though. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  09:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Alee I love it, such a graceful beautiful name!!!

I am really thinking and keep going back to K & R Farm, just because in a way it can be, I hope, a legacy for our children and on. I would hope someone would keep the name and tell the story of how we cleared and built everything here ourselves. Is that too sappy?
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  10:50:07 AM  Show Profile
Rae, not sappy at all, leaving a legacy for our children and our childrens children it a beautiful thing

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  12:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Well, I guess the name of our farm speaks for its self, "Thorne-Crop Farm", that seems to be all the grows around here.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  5:34:32 PM  Show Profile
We affectionately call our place "Happy Acres" farm. It was the name of the day camp/nursery school I went to when I was little. I always loved the name. But when we sell or give eggs to co-workers or friends, they are usually referred to as "Marshall Farm Eggs" (our last name, of course).

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  7:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Ours is Farasi Ranch, Farasi is the Swahili word for "horse". Since we spend more of our income on horses than any other critter, we named it after them...lol. Although we are going to be selling most of our offerings under the name "Sweet Life".

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page

tolmom
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Jen
Milford MI
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  2:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Send tolmom a Yahoo! Message
Proverbs 13:12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life.

My precious husband gave me my dream by building me a little horse farm in Milford, MI. So now I'm a true farm girl living at Tree Of Life Farm with our two Arabian horses, DWA Special Agent & MSU Revelation, barn kitties - Jane & Elizabeth Bennett, and a wonderful organic garden our family helped us put in this past spring. Chickens are on the horizon for next year!

Jen @
Tree Of Life Farm

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  06:22:13 AM  Show Profile
Naming our farm was one of the hardest things we did. Nothing seemed to fit. My husband and I had been looking for that "perfect" piece of land for 5 years. We got it but not without many battles along the way. It took us 6 months to close the deal because (for lack for a better description) the sellers were just plain crazy. It was a product of a divorce and everyone was fighting to make the other "pay" for the ordeal. Anyway, after the sellers no showed at 3 closings, legal action had to be taken to force the sell since we had a signed contract to sell. Both parties wanted to sell they just didn't want the other to get anything out of it. Just when I was ready to give up we finally closed. At that same time my son, who was 25 at the time, was given the all clear after a 4 year battle with cancer. I had just completed 2 grooling years of nursing school. I had been in business consulting for 20 years but saw that field quickly falling apart. I had not been in school for 25 years and if anyone has been through registered nursing program they know it is tough. My husband was one of the unlucky souls that lost their jobs during the big layoffs. He went back to school to be a licensed AC contractor and had just passed his state exam to obtain his license. (He had never been to college and was the first in his entire family to graduate with a degree). So after trying out many different names for the farm the one that stuck is "Victory Farm". This farm came with many victories. I have planted an old fashion victory garden every season since we "won" it.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  3:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Victory Farm fits perfect with all the stories behind it, wow!!! It is so hard to decide what to call it. My husband grew up on one and the never named it so he doesn't see any sense but I think it ties it together as our home and dream. So far going to go with the second choice of Farm in the Woods as that is exactly what it is. Hmmmm maybe Dream Farm would fit too.... oops there I go again
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  4:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Our farm is called "Trail's End Farm". My husband named it years before we met. His grandmother had lived here in retirement and often called it her "trail's end", so he named it after that.

If for some reason we don't stay here and move to a new farm, I would like to incorporate our last name, Meadows, into the farm name.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  11:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
When I get official enough to name my place, it will likely be something with the words 'wabi sabi' in it. Wabi sabi is the Japanese philosophy of beautiful imperfection - seems fitting.

Ever since I was a teenager, I wanted a horse stable named 'Serendipity Stables'. Ah, dreams. :)

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  3:33:50 PM  Show Profile
Moonshadow Farm, when we were trying to come up with a name, a line from a Cat Steven's song ran through my head for days "I'm being followed by a moon shadow, moon shadow, moon shadow" I could remember the tune but only those words. I told my hubbs and we named it Moonshadow Farm. Unfortuantely, when we tried to register Moonshadow Farm for our goat herd name, they used our second choice, our last name, but it is Moonshadow for us.

When you free your mind your heart can fly.
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  3:36:49 PM  Show Profile
We named our farm "Link'd Hearts Ranch". Our last name is Link and my husband and I are joined in this venture together and for our children because we believe it is what the Lord wants us to do. It has been a dream come true. So we felt our hearts were in the right place for getting started despite our lack of experience and with faith in God everything will turn out to be what our little farm is supposed to be. Don't know if that quite makes sense, but there it is.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page