Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What did you name your farm/ranch and why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic
Page: of 12

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  3:40:08 PM  Show Profile
AlyssaMarie I love the name and the story behind it fits it perfect!! I wish you lots of luck. We too, finally are living our dream very slowly but that is God teaching me patience I am sure!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

donna rae
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Donna Rae
Virginia Beach VA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  5:29:06 PM  Show Profile
I have always wanted a farm of my own. I was making plans for retiring to a small farm with my guy, some chickens, some goats, lots of gardening, and my dog. Now, due to several medical issues, including having my entire colon removed this spring, I have to stay very close to advanced medical care. HOWEVER, I've adopted my dream farm name for my suburban home: Flannel Jammies Farm. Invariably, you'll find me out early in the morning watering gardens or hanging clothes on the line wearing, you guessed it, flannel jammies!!!

Donna Rae
Farmgirl Sister # 593
Colonial Farm Girls
Williamsburg, VA

Edited by - donna rae on Sep 05 2009 5:30:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  8:42:42 PM  Show Profile
Those names are real special gals. Even though I live on a city lot now, my farm is called Happy Acres. I've had such wonderful memories both on the farm and in the city. As Mary Jane says, "Farmgirl is a condition of the heart"

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  1:08:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

Teresa, I love crooked! All the rows in my garden are crooked. I do not like a straight line, especially in a garden. So I just love the name of your farm.

The rows in my garden are crooked too! My DH and son-in-law always point it out. I tell them what my grandma told my grandpa when he criticized her crooked rows. She said you can get more plants in a crooked row AND it confuses the birds. He was speechless.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  4:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Marcia, I just love what your grandma said, that is priceless, lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  2:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
i have tossed around names for 38 years and still haven't come up with one for our homestead..maybe some day i'll name it.

bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  05:31:28 AM  Show Profile
We named our homestead Natural Earth Farm because we strive to work with the earth as naturally as possible by organically farming, free ranging our chickens, making our handcrafts of natural fibers and by being gentle to our environment around the farm.

Warm wishes,
Tonya
http://plainandjoyfulliving.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wyldwoman6
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Ruth T
Vancouver WA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  8:25:07 PM  Show Profile
i am thinking of "DunMoovnEstates" since i live on the end of a cul-de-sac which i bought so my rescued greyhound could have a lot of room to run and at the age of 56 i finally was able to afford to buy a home after moving around almost annually for many years!!!

eternal love and light
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  05:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Our place is called Strawberry Hill farm mainly because the name was here when we moved here years ago. Many, many years ago this hillside used to be a strawberry farm and all (so I've heard) the kids in Stanwood used to bus up here to work. Strawberries are long gone but the name stayed. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  3:02:53 PM  Show Profile
our little spot in the road is called silk purse farm. when i was growing up my dad would say "sherry lynn you can sell the wart off a hogs nose and make a silk purse out of a sows ear. since the land was ugly with no life when we came and is now a sweet little farm always with pigs we named it silk purse farm
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  3:09:13 PM  Show Profile
our little spot in the road is called silk purse farm. when i was growing up my dad would say "sherry lynn you can sell the wart off a hogs nose and make a silk purse out of a sows ear. since the land was ugly with no life when we came and is now a sweet little farm always with pigs we named it silk purse farm
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  1:57:07 PM  Show Profile
Our farm is called "Jabez Farm". We used to live in a tiny 4 bedroom house with 10 children. We read the "Prayer of Jabez" and decided to pray for God to increase our boundaries. My family moved into a 10 bedroom/5 bath home with 8 acres (plus 5 that we are using) shortly after and have been here since!

http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  7:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Our place is Symbiotic Acres. Dh and I strive to maintain a balance and keep our actions and our footprint on the earth as mutually beneficial as possible, she feeds us in many ways so it is our responsibility to nourish & nurture her.

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  6:20:52 PM  Show Profile
judging from the weather we're having I'd call it

judging from the weather today I'd have to name it "soggy". ugh!

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  7:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
ok, as i'm reading down all of these, all of these are really cute. Well, Heres my farms name.. States Farm. Real original, right? Its the family's last name, oh what a creative bunch they all were, way back when they started the farm. OH well, its been the farm's name since forever so i guess i just have to live with it.

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  07:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Our farm is named "Walk in Walk Out" Farm & Cattle Co. Way back when my DH's Great grandfather bought it in 1908, you literally had to walk in and walk out when it snowed. The driveway is a mile long and it's almost straight up a hillside! When I first moved in I took my 2 wheel drive car out to town one morning (I have a 4wd for the winter-I didn't think it was going to snow that day) and when I got back it had snowed a good few inches. I tried to drive up, but ended up having to walk when my car slid halfway off the driveway into a ravine!

So, it's Walk in Walk Out Farm & Cattle Co. for a good reason!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Edited by - walkinwalkoutcattle on Oct 07 2009 07:21:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  4:14:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh Claudia don't feel bad as I am still leaning towards K & R Farm. That would be for Kevin and Rae but a little catchy. Thought about Farm in the Woods but just didn't have quite that same flow.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  4:31:06 PM  Show Profile
when we get moved we plan on naming our home "The Sunshine Cottage" as we live in the Sunshine state, and I love the color yellow and cheery things:)

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  1:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My parents bought a 240 acre farm in 1945 with a run-down house and 4 little kids. My younger sister and I were not born yet . . . we came to this farm and lived there all our growing up years.

In 1948 my dad bought a Diamond T truck, not a pickup but a truck. it was red with apple green pinstripe trim and sometimes had to be cranked to start it.

That truck was the "icon" of our farm. He raised potatoes, sheep, cattle, and every kind of fruit imaginable. When he decided he needed a brand it became the Diamond Bar T.

Then the farm & orchards became the Diamond T Farm and Orchards. My mom passed away in February 1994 and my dad in January of 1997. Because their oldest grandson is a mechanic and was VERY INTERESTED in the truck, it got a trailer ride all the way to British Columbia in the loving care of my nephew where it now lives in happy retirement!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

Milkwitch
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Arthurette New Brusnwick
Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  2:18:55 PM  Show Profile
We have lived several places and the name has gone with us. I got the name when I was given an old Holstein cow #43a that we named Patience(because it took two of us 45 mins to milk her). She was with us for 5 months and taught us to milk. But she got cancer ad had to be put down. I loved her so much I feel that she was up there watching over us so I named us "Cowsmic Connections" We now have our own place and a cow named Honeysuckle.

"I don't believe in miracles, I depend upon them"

Go to Top of Page

cdmcan
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Diane
Homer City PA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  07:14:59 AM  Show Profile
Streamview.... that's the name.. Not really a farm tho. Just 80 acres or peace and joy. We do have a vegetable garden, an herb garden, many flower gardens, a small apple/peach/plum orchard. And all of this wonder overlooks Yellow Creek, a large stream down thru the center of our property, thus the name Streamview. That is the name of our lane also. We have a hang hung on our garden fence with Streamview Farms painted on it. And our new and budding company which I'll be posting when our website is available is Streamview Holdings.

Have a great Day!!!

Lover of Siamese Cats
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  8:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Abraxas Baroque horses since we have baroque breeds, and abraxas because its akin to abracadabra...its the magic of it.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

MegH
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Meagan
Concord Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  08:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Well i dont have a farm or ranch but i tried to. lol. with my daycare shutting down i lost my house so was forced to sell all of my precious animals but i wanted to name my farm "Tri-Acre Farm & Kennels" beacuse i love farming with chickens and rabbits and cow and goats(never had the chance to get any goats) and my house sat upon 3 acres hints the "Tri-Acre" and my dream is to start my own animal rescue so that is what the "kennels" is for. But hopes and dreams can still come true with hard work and determination .
<<<Meg

"You can travel around the world and back just to get to an elbow."
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  6:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Meg, continue with your dream, and work hard, it will come true some day.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Mama Larkhaven
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

M Clare
Tonasket WA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  6:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Our farm is called Larkhaven. We have a lot of meadowlarks and to us they represented music, which is important to us. And we wanted it to be a peaceful, comfortable place for anyone who came, so we added "haven." We also were wanting the home to have a name because we were a blended family and were trying to avoid our kids having to say "mom's house" or "dad's house," as if it wasn't theirs, too. When we moved a couple of miles to a bigger farm, we couldn't come up with a better name, we liked it so much, so we just kept it.

Mama Larkhaven, farming & cheesemaking assiduously in northcentral Washington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page