Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What did you name your farm/ranch and why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic
Page: of 12

FreedomAcresFarmGirl
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Brenda
Ogilvie MN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  5:33:22 PM  Show Profile
I wrote this 4 years ago this month - saw the topic and thought I'd share our "story". For an updat: my older 2 boys have since moved out on their own. One is at college and the other is a fire fighter/paramedic in the city. BOTH of them come home as much as their schedules allow!!! - - - ~Brenda

I'm also writing to share the "gift" God gave to me during the night
last night. I will not share this experience with enough justice I'm
sure to allow you all to understand but I will do my best.

The reason we bought property and moved out to the country was
mainly that we wanted to reclaim our family from the world's ways
and live a sanctified life for our Redeemer and Lord of our life. The kids, especially the boys (almost 17 & 15), are not understanding our faith growth that my husband and I have had in the past couple of years. We've been Christians all our lives but have just recently understood that we are to live as though Christ is Lord of our Lives here on earth as well as our Savior for eternity in the future.

Anyway last evening we had a deep discussion with the boys about
where we see our family heading and the vision we have for our
family. Since this summer we've sporadically thrown around names for
our new farm with nothing ever seeming to be appropriate for our
vision.

Well in the middle of the night last night (I'm pregnant so I'm
awake at night more than not :-) God named our farm!!!!!!!!!!! I
layed there thinking that the boys often times act like they are
prisoners here. When in fact the total opposite is true. We want
them to know that we are more free here than we ever felt in the
cities. I've done a word study these past weeks on the word
Sanctification and have learned that God redeemed us and sanctifies
us to live a life not in and of THIS world but rather to live a life
for divine and holy reasons. We are to be His own, freed to serve
and honor Him with our whole life here and now on this earth!!!! So
the name that God gave me was - "Freedom Acres Farm".

Now for the best part of the story. This morning - Christmas morning
I found the Bible verse in Isaiah 61:1 that says, "He has sent
me . . . to proclaim freedom for the captives.... Then in my Bible
the related verses for both the words freedom and captives FIT OUR
VISION PERFECTLY!!!! First for freedom it was Leviticus 25:10 which
says ". . . proclaim liberty . . . each one of you is to return to
his FAMILY PROPERTY and each to his own clan". And for the word
captives the related verse was Psalm 68:6 which says, "God sets the
lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing". BOTH
verses relate and comment on FAMILY which is what we've been trying
to tell the kids - that our family is SO much more important than
the worldly things out there!

Oh, how I wish I could relate the emotions and feelings I am having
as God has granted our family VISION this Christmas Day! God is SO
awesome, only HE could glue all these things together and lead our
family on this journey of honoring and serving Him!

Do what you can with what you have where you are. ~T. Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  5:50:38 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, that was beautiful,amazing and wonderful, and I don't think there really are proper words for what you wrote.
And I went to this thread just now, cause I thought , WOW, there are so many new girls joining MJF lately, that I would bump it up, so they would hopefuly see this thread and add to it, and you did it for me, thank you.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  1:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Brenda:
What an emotionally written group of thoughts you wrote! Wow!! I loved every word you wrote. Beautiful. God is truly an Awesome God. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  05:02:24 AM  Show Profile
LOL, now I know what "bump" means. I get it
Brenda, Thank you so much for sharing. I e-mailed you a quick note.
The teenage years are difficult with an intact nuclear family let alone one that suffers from divorce(mine). But God uses all things for His glory.

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  07:48:48 AM  Show Profile
Brenda that was so awesome and so true. We are really working on getting back to the basics. I have closed out accounts and we are really working on downsizing and living according to what God would want of us. He has really blessed us as we start out on our farm, hey wait maybe that would be our name Blessings Farm. I really have been struggling with a name and bouncing around. Mmmmm have to think about his one.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  08:44:58 AM  Show Profile
What a fun topic!! Have enjoyed reading your farm names!! I called mine Reindeer Station Farm because at the time I thought of the name and started dreaming there was nothing here (for animals) but I HOPED for reindeer. At the time you couldn't get them into my state (VT) and there were no breeding pairs here. It was maddening because there were reindeer in bordering states...(Now you CAN get reindeer but I'd already committed to sheep and seems like you can't run them on the same property...so we have sheep and angora bunnies with an alpaca and a llama coming...)

Anyway, Station I thought sounded like a place name in Alaska which is my favorite state I've never visited. I have very romantic ideas about Alaska. :^)

So Reindeer Station Farm it is. Which is cool in so many ways I hadn't anticipated, like how it lends itself to deep red and gold for colors in labels and I can use "Christmas" stuff year round, like the yarn I make with jingle bells...stuff like that.

Blessings!
Céleste
Spindrift Studio at Reindeer Station Farm
www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com
www.reindeerstationfarm.blogspot.com (Bunny naming contest/giveaway going on through 12/20.)

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ."
www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  06:23:27 AM  Show Profile
Buzzard Crest is the name of our 17 acres here in Arkansas. We named it, of course, for the birds who love to float on the air currents created by the updraft on our ridge. Kind of a pun of a beautiful golf course not far from here "Eagle Crest". There is also the fact that we are more buzzard like as we try to "clean up" the environment (buzzards clean up carrion) rather than "attack" it (eagles attack their food). Not that we don't appreciate the awesome beauty of eagles-they are awesome creatures.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

dellsworth
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Deanna
Blue Ash Ohio
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  06:53:07 AM  Show Profile
I have no farm (yet)but rather a very large suburban lot with a really interesting house on it. The house is interesting because although this is suburbia and the house was built in 1954, we are only it's third owners and the first two were the man who built it and then his daughter when he retired and moved south. All three owners, including us were big into adding on and remodeling so this house has layers of character and is truly unique and I can both see and appreciate the histories of the families who have lived in it. I think that makes it similar to a farmhouse because many farm houses, especially very old ones, have grown, developed and taken on character in the same way - by being adjusted for the needs of the families that lived in them. So in a way, the house becomes part of the family, not just a big wooden box to rattle around in. But maybe I am romanticizing.

Anyway....back to the question about naming. We jokingly call our litte suburban homestead "Wild Garlic Ranch". This is because in my gardening efforts we have found that nothing grows better here than wild garlic. Some people call them wild onions. They pop up everywhere. As soon as you break new ground for a new bed they spring up. If you pull them and throw them in the compost they resprout in there. My husband has commented that if my intentionally planted produce did as well as the wild garlic, we would be rich. LOL.

Deanna
Farmgirl Sister #909
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  09:23:18 AM  Show Profile
I thought I'd bump this up for all the new girls, I love hearing about your home/farm/ranch names

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"

Edited by - 1badmamawolf on Feb 02 2010 10:50:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  10:02:30 AM  Show Profile
We only have 2 acres but I have decieded to call our farm of sorts Oaktree Acres. We have a couple of 300 year old oak trees in the center of our yard.

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  3:20:21 PM  Show Profile
bumping up again for all the new girls

Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  07:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Our's is called Cedarrock Ranch, due to the fact that we are constantly picking up rocks and cussing cedar trees.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  5:53:15 PM  Show Profile
bump again for the new girls

Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  08:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Our farm is called Locus Lane Farm because the laneway from the concession road up to the house is lined with Black Locus trees, that smell heavenly in June when they are in full bloom.We are on 200 acres.

Marlyn

http://sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  1:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh I would love to name our farm! But I need some help. I was thinking of calling it Channah's Goat Farm but...well... it sounds kinda lame. lol Any ideas?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

pinkpearlgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Virginia
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  06:37:04 AM  Show Profile
Our farm has been in the family for over 100 years. Its name is Cherry Hill Farm. Named after all the red clay that we sit on here in VA.

goingkelligreen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  11:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
my farm is named "angeltree farm".
partly cause my mom loved angels and used to pass out angel pins to folks and because i had this tree with an angel on it, well two angels

now i think angeltree is more common of a name, but the farm has been called that for almost 20 years.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
www.angeltree.etsy.com

check out the farm at:
www.localharvest.org/farms/M24434
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  3:05:53 PM  Show Profile
when i was a little girl i was a jabber box. i spoke to everyone with glee. my dad always said i never met a stranger. its so true i love meeting new people. i grew up around all different kinds of folks. as i grew i had a confidence that young girls back then did not carry.i also was very good at figuring out ways to make cash for my weekends. i ieoned, washed cars, babysat. so i figured out the kids at school loved his home made sweet deer jerky and our smoked salmon. we were commercial fishermen. i was raised on the fishing docks, and the logging yards where they loaded old growth timber bound for japan. no fear of people. i made good money at school. that is till my dad figured out i was not eating that much. i have sold avon shaklee amway and the list goes on. he had a lot of old sayings. i loved him dearly. miss him sorely. he was always encouraging me. so when the farm was my life and i was raising pigs... i named the farm the silk purse... he said often to me. sherry lynn you could sell the wart off a hogs nose and make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. we opened the event venue property in 2008. our mascot is a pig. we have a silk purse painting logo my sister did for our advertising. now that we are shut down and moving i will take my farm name with me. i think of him often. papa says your dad would be proud of you sherry. it makes my heart soar like a hawk to hear him say that. he was my hero. sincerely sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  4:52:11 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, what a wonderful story and bit of family history, and I agree, your Dad would be very proud, and you should be too.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile
thanks teresa,

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  1:12:05 PM  Show Profile
We call our little spread the Nak Pak Farm. Nak Pak is on my license plates too.
It stands for "Nakamura Pack". While virtually all of the big operations around here are "cattle ranches", I like the sound of Farm better. And we have a good mix of plantings and animals, so farm it is.
And my husband's family up in Weizer, Idaho farms. It's the Nakamura Farm up there, where you find more farms (plants) and less ranches (animals).

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  1:14:28 PM  Show Profile
i like nak pak. do you have kids? sounds like a good family farm name. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  1:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Yep, sherrye, I have 3 rambunctious, active little boys. Almost 9 (september), even more almost 7 (july), and just turned 5 (march). I loved growing up out here, and now to see my boys playing in the same spots, it's great.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  08:33:16 AM  Show Profile
alicia, wow i love boys. we had 4. i was home all day so i had the neighborhood. it was so fun and hard and exciting and I LQVED it.lol today they take care of us. great boys with fine wives.you must share stories as they grow. perfect ages. little sponges. my first were 13 months apart. i moved from home and supported myself at 14. i was married at 16. divorced by 17. on my own always. boys were a good gift from God.the 2 others are 2 yrs. apart.i was quite ill a few yrs. back. my son moved his family 3 miles from me to help.to have land for your sons that you were on is so moving. have you made a sign yet. we have a farm logo.very fun. happy days on the farm sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

ilene
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

ilene
westminster colorado
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  5:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Reading these posts is making me feel terrible. I've owned my farm for 2 years and I still haven't given it a name. Any ideas? I grew up on a farm in Minnesota and none of the farms there had names. In Norway where my grandparents came from, all the farms had names. In fact, it is difficult at times to do genealogy research because many of the families used the name of the farm rather than the given surname. Early in Norwegian history, the girls took their father's name and added "datter" so, Eric's daughter's last name would be Ericsdatter. Same with the boys. Eric's son's last name would be Ericson. After a time, there were so many Eric Ericsons, Lars Larsons, Paul Paulsons, John Johnsons, etc. that it became very confusing. That's why people started to use the name of their farm.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page