Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What did you name your farm/ranch and why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic
Page: of 12

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  5:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Ilene, don't feel terrible, a name will come with time

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  9:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Don't feel terible Ilene. I've lived on our farm all my life and we still don't have a name. I am trying to come up with one but it is hard.
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:36:23 PM  Show Profile
We just named ours tonight! It's called "5 'B' Farm". My DH chose the name because there's five of us in our little family. Five Burnettes became 5 'B'. It's seemed simple and classic sounding.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  09:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I love it Angela! lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  7:51:57 PM  Show Profile
This might just seem silly to some. I've always dreamed of a patch of land. I've been collecting clippings from magazines for a very long time of things that spark my imagination. I do try to bloom where I'm planted and garden, tend a flock of chicken and at one point raised angora rabbits for fiber and meat although my husband strongly disliked them and the city decided it was time for an ordinance. Despite "blooming" where I'm planted, I still dream. My husband and I talk sometimes late into the night about sitting in our rockers on the porch watching the fireflies dancing across the pasture. We moved from TN to WA with hopes of returning to TN and I can still feel the warmth of the humidity and the smell of the wild honeysuckle at dusk and see a tire swing swaying with the breeze while hanging to an old oak branch. I have a folder with visions of this "dream" and on that folder is written "Whispering Oak Acres". I'm so glad that we have the ability to dream. Sometimes it takes a little work to not to feel despair about never obtaining our dream but I quickly blot it out.

www.theporcelaindesk.blogspot.com
1 Tim. 6:8 But if we have food and shelter, we will be satisfied with that.
Go to Top of Page

littleflower
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Catherine
Uvalde Texas
USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  8:06:36 PM  Show Profile
We've got 3 acres and not much of anything on it except overgrown trees, a few chickens, and a small garden and I have been wanting to give it a name since we moved here two years ago, but everything I've come up with sounds pretentious. But I really like all the stories everyone has shared. They've given me new insights to a good name--Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Equusfriend
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Deborah
Keystone Heights FL
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  7:51:03 PM  Show Profile
Our 5 acre farm is mostly woods but it has a natural spring that flows to a sand bottom lake. Our house is in this ravine area with a view of the lake. We named it Kell Farm. Kell is scandinavian for pure water coming from the earth. We are so blessed and preserve as many inches of this land for the wildlife in it. My husband has planted at least 100 small azaleas and I'm using 1 acre for pasture and horse barn. But if a tree dies we leave it, we leave it lay where it falls letting nature take care of it.

Change your thoughts and change the world!
Go to Top of Page

chickenwrangler
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Julie
Eastanollee Ga
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  09:04:28 AM  Show Profile
We moved to the country 9 years ago. We had wanted to do it for some time but were hesitant to be far from my husband's grandmother since he and his sister are her only remaining family and we wanted to be close by if we were needed. When she passed away almost 10 years ago; we decided to make the move. Her name was french; "Maitre" which is prounced "may tree" so we named our farm after dear, sweet, Gram..."May Tree Farm".

farmlife blog at www.maytreefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  5:28:11 PM  Show Profile
bumping for the new girls

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  7:05:03 PM  Show Profile
I call my place Second Chance Ranch. All of my "kids" are rescued and we give everyone and everything a second chance.... some, even more.
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  06:31:39 AM  Show Profile
We have around 600 ac. Ranch and we named it KL Ranch because our Brand is KL cause our name.
Go to Top of Page

Madgardener
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Janet
Oldsmar Fl
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  10:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Our farm in NC, we named after our Cat !! ( Phoenix) Phoenix Farm. We got her from the spca the day before she was to be put to sleep. She was the runt of the litter and sick. Like the Phoenix she rose up from the ashes so to speak and is the perfect pet we have had her 7 years now. Not only is our farm named after her so is my home based craft business. On our web site is a pix of her under farm photos she is sitting on a pumpkin. My home business has a shop page on the same web site under product / shop.
Madgardener # 697 www.Phoenixfarm.biz

www.phoenixfarm.biz

Edited by - Madgardener on Jul 10 2010 6:59:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  3:00:05 PM  Show Profile
I love some of the names I've seen on here. So creative and so many really great stories!
We just bought our dream farm in March and have named it "Cavalli Run". I used to watch an Australian series called Mcleod's Daughters. The ranch in the series was called "Drover's Run". That was my dream place! My daughter thought I should call our place that, but I didn't want to copy that name. Our farm has been a horse farm for the past 30 years, and while I will mainly be raising sheep, I have one horse and do hope to get more. My daughter said "What's horse in Italian? You see, we used to live in Italy (my husband was in the military), and Italy was my favorite assignment. I love everything Italian: the food, the language, the people, the culture, everything.
Cavallo is the word for horse...so we played with Cavalli Hills and Cavalli Acres (Cavalli is the plural form)...but neither of them seemed right. Then, one day my daughter said "What about Cavalli Run"? It was perfect!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  4:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I loved that tv show also, and was heartbroke when the station quit running it. I do love your places name, and since starting this thread, I've seen many great names and stories. Thanks for contributeing.

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  7:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Teresa. I discovered the show while we were living in Africa! I only saw one episode from season 1, then I saw most of seasons 2, 3 and 4. I now own seasons 1 through 5 and have watched the rest on you tube. I have hooked several people on the show via my DVD's! I plan to one day own all 8 seasons. Season 8 was pretty bad, but it did give some "closure"! LOL!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  8:36:13 PM  Show Profile
I named our small farmette, at only a qtr acre (much smaller than um SuzieK's 600 acres- oh my! Sweet Peas Farmette for several reasons: Sweet P is a nickname some friends have given me from my business ("P" for Piece Mama) and it's a play on words with my biz: peas-> peace, piece. My kids are like peas in a pod and we all like growing (& eating) peas.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  9:06:05 PM  Show Profile
We raise cattle and sheep on our family farm. I raise the sheep for the wool fiber to spin and at times, things are just crazy here so we named our farm "The Coffman Spinning C Fiber Farm." Danny's folks had it before us so we knew the Coffman name had to stay attached to this place. The farm also sets on a winding hilly highway and our home is actually right on a curve.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  10:13:27 PM  Show Profile
We live on a little less than two wooded acres on a lake. I have always been facinated with ravens, crows, and the metaphysical. I feed and "talk" to the crows who wait for breakfast scraps. Our woodland farm is called "CROWHAEVYN".

We also have a small cabin that is named "Knotashak"(not a shack). The local lingo when going to their cabins is...."We're goin' to the shack." We go to our CABIN!

Blessed be,*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  08:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Both our farmstead and handwork business is called Natural Earth Farm because caring for the earth is so very important to us.
Warm wishes,
Tonya
Simple Living, Homesteading Mom of 6
http://plainandjoyfulliving.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  09:18:02 AM  Show Profile
We were not as original as u girls, in Maine everyone's farm is their last name. Ours was call the Perz farm, but we bought it from am amish couple called the mullens, everyone here was still calling it the perz farm so this year my husband said he wanted a sign that said the Skane Farm. So for Christmas I made him a large white and black letter sign that says the Skane Farm. Still did not good we still when having items from the lumber yard delivered to us have to say the old perz place. Oh well, maybe they will get use to Us.
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  2:08:18 PM  Show Profile
I love all the pretty farm names! Ours is the Funny Farm. Very obvious reasons. ;D

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  3:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Back in Ohio we had a 7 acre farm where we raised goats. I used the first 2 letters of each of our names from my 5 kids and hubby and me to come up with Paki JaJuan which we registered with a goat magazine.

Here where we have lived the last 10 years in the mountains of NC, we named our place Holly Haven as holly trees grow everywhere. Stands of bamboo grow here also, weird huh?

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

hereford girl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

meredith
fairfield virginia
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  6:25:25 PM  Show Profile
Our farm is named "Pioneer Farm" because it has been in our family since the pioneer times. Our daughter is the eighth generation to live in our farmhouse.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  5:21:19 PM  Show Profile

We aren't nearly as deeply rooted as Meredith. 8 generations wow!

Our farm name reflects the name of our daughters first horse and her experience with this particular mare. . .Rough Start Farm. Everything always works out though and it has been a beautiful relationship. And we love our 28 acres of heaven.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  05:46:13 AM  Show Profile
We don't have a farm (yet) but have named our place Twilight Burrough. Our first date was to see Twilight and that movie will remain special to us for that reason. We both loved the homey feel and look of the hobbit burroughs in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and hope to make our small home as cozy and inviting. It sort of suits the house as its pretty small - 750 sq ft - and it would be quite easy with 3 of us plus all our 4 footed critters for it to become very crowded and uninviting. We are fortunate in that we have a HUGE back yard that I'm turning into a wonderful garden. Last year I moved in and got a feel for the house, this year we started building the raised gardens, next year we'll continue to add and hopefully work on a cozy outside area with a firepit of some type.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page