Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What did you name your farm/ranch and why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic
Page: of 12

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  01:34:20 AM  Show Profile

Where I grew up, a farm was a planted piece of land and a ranch was a piece of land that you ran livestock on. Is that just a "local" set of terms or do my sisters agree?

Good question!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

HDA
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heidi
Hood River OR
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  02:31:19 AM  Show Profile
I would not necessarily call my place a farm...maybe a mini-farm. It is not very big, but I raise chickens & grow everything I possibly can!! I have decided to call our place "Blossom Pocket." We are surrounded by orchard country, plus I grow lots of blossoms myself :) I put a lot of thought into it, I've wanted to name our place ever since I bought it. I think having a name gives it more personality.
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  12:56:44 PM  Show Profile
Before we bought our small 5 acre farm we lived in town to save money to buy some land. My daughter was really into horses at that time and one day we crafted a model of a barn out of a box and and we painting it and added sunflowers and such to it. We painted a sign over the door and I painted "Lazy Jo Ranch"..my daughter's nickname is Jo and we teased about her being lazy picking up her room and so it kind of started as a joke. When we found the 5 acres, we immediately knew it had to be named, Lazy Jo Ranch. I still have that little model and Ashlee Jo is in her second year of college now and loves coming home.

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  11:22:57 PM  Show Profile
We are on 7 acres and ours is more of a homestead....we raise both vegetables and animals - dairy goats, 4 horses, chickens, dogs, a herd of cats and up until this year a pig named Bacon and rabbits. Our seven acres backs up against 60 acres that is also in the "family" so we move the horses out to the big pasture pretty regularly.

We call it The Haven....maybe you remember the old Disney series Five Mile Creek? We wanted this place to be a haven, where family and friends could come and feel refreshed.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  4:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
We're known as "The Four Country Gals", and our little piece of desert is officially called DHA Family Farm, for Dages (Cindy), Hosko (Mom), and Adair (Bev). I came along later, so "T" for my last name only appears on our Internet business, where we sell web hosting.

Everyone knows us best as "The Four Country Gals", much like the "Golden Girls". In fact, one neighbor admits to having us programmed into her phone as the golden girls. That's the name we use for our marketing.

Shari Thomas, back after a 2 year break for heart issues. Ready to get on with life now.Four Country Gals
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  4:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Our Farm is called Thimble Creek Farm. It has a small creek that can be jumped over in most places. We live on Sweethome Road across from Sugar Creek near Pleasant View. Almost sweet enough to get your blood sugar up! I've always worked with a needle in some form or fashion so I thought it fit both me and the land. I named it when I was single so I got to choose all by myself. We have a 42 Chevy truck and a Scottie Hi Lander camper for Market and Deliveries. We use them and a thimble spilling water as our logos.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  9:59:28 PM  Show Profile
you all have great stories to go with names.. I about to died laughting..cheryal with ur herd of cats...lol.. That's about all the animals I have. They love my front porch...no make that their front porch.. The outdoor cats like looking through the window at the inside cat.. They are to funny.......

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  5:28:17 PM  Show Profile
3/4 Acre Farm, because that is exactly what I have!

"A farmgirl can never have enough chickens!"--me
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  04:55:20 AM  Show Profile
our ranch is called Il Cavallo Ranch, In Italian that means the horse ranch. Which was mostly what we had (now the cows took over). But I am Italian and We both Love horses.

~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

mrswondergem
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Julie
Sioux City IA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  4:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Ours is Four Wonders Farms....cause our last name is Wondergem and there are four of us Wondergem's.....so it is simple and kinda cute.....we currently have just chickens and one really dumb golden retriever.....oh and 3 cats....but we want goats and I am considering meat chickens. Maybe bees and rabbits one day...but until then just our egg layer's....which we are really thrilled about
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  5:31:04 PM  Show Profile
We are trying to think of a name...still haven't built a house, but do have 50 acres of land, plan to build next year or in 2013. So far the favorite name is Stormview Acres...we have land up on a ridge and can see for miles. The house will have the front porch facing west and DH and I love to sit and watch a storm come in! Even our daughter loves a good storm and like the name.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  8:06:21 PM  Show Profile
stormwatching is the best!What about "Storm Ridge?"

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  04:53:18 AM  Show Profile
We don't have a farm, but we have a getaway home in the Adirondacks. We named it the "Hobo's Lullaby". "HoBo" is the first two letters of our names (Holly and Bobby) and we love the Woody Guthrie song. My husband suggested it and I thought it was sweet!

Farmgirl Sister #2942
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  2:40:52 PM  Show Profile
I love Storm Ridge...will add it to our list of possibilities. Thanks!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  12:51:25 AM  Show Profile
I am an Urban farmer. I don't have "land" per say, but I figured if you decided to plant your whole back and put in a few chickens then you have a farm. So my "Farm Name" is Spiral farms. The spiral is the ancient symbol of evolution. I believe that by going back to the basics and doing right by this great big blue ball we truly have evolved.

http://cityfarmgirl.livejournal.com/

I want there to be no peasant in my kingdom so poor that he cannot have a chicken in his pot every Sunday.
Henry IV
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  3:59:10 PM  Show Profile
our farm is called Rock River Farms. we named it after one of the 2 rivers that are around us. fact is i hope that they dont flood other wise we are land locked!
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  3:09:06 PM  Show Profile
Our hobby farm is named "Grey Wolf Farm" because our last name is Wolf and my Hubby was the first of the two of us to turn grey. So it is a tongue-in-cheek nod to his distinguished self <3

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
Henry David Thoreau

www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  9:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Jill, we don't have a name yet (only been here 28 years, lol) but when people ask where we live I just say "the gray house with a toy tank in the front yard" and they all know right where we live! Can't move the tank now can I!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  06:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Its so fun to read your farm names. Our farm has been family owned and run going on its fourth generation! No "creative or fun" name, but certainly pride of ownership. Our farm is called Cheney and Son.&hearts

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

duckmama
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Robin
Minnesota
USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  1:27:28 PM  Show Profile
We named ours "Driven 2 Distraction Farm". It describes us. We always have multiple projects going and are involved in all kinds of things. I originally thought of "Duck Butt Farm" due to the view of our ducks at their water play area as you drive onto the property, but my family wasn't amused.

Driven 2 Distraction

Designing Green
Living Green
Go to Top of Page

mountainmomma
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Miriam
Jonas Pennsylvania
USA
42 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  04:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Send mountainmomma a Yahoo! Message
I wouldn't say my place is a farm but, after living in the suburbs all my life, when we moved to the country, I wanted to be as self sufficient as possible. When we started digging to plant anything the ground was so stony that it took over an hour to dig a hole big enough to plant a small bush. We have almost 2 acres that I like to call "Stony Acres". Needless to say, we put in a raised bed vegetable garden.

Miriam
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  12:46:15 PM  Show Profile
we started with a couple of chickens and a boxer puppy. the puppy would watch the chickens & chase them all over. when she is inside she will sit at the window and still watch them never taking her eyes off of them. the boxer's name is daisy so we named our place Daisy Farms. we are now at 25 chickens with one hen sitting, 20 ducks and 2 goats. we are for ever growing and she will for ever be watching over her farm.
LorraineMichelle
farmgirl #3007
Daisy Farms

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  6:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Named our farm; Sunflower Critters..Just love sunflowers and all the critters on the farm...Love farm life!

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  08:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Our's is named Felton Family Farm. We only have an acre but are squeezing micro versions of everything a big farm would have into it. Maybe we should rename it MicroFarm...

~FarmDream

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  07:09:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi All,
I'm brand new out here. I just received my log in account this week, and will be joining the sisterhood right away as well! Our place has two names. When we moved in, the previous owner called it "Wildgrasses", because he had focused much energy into developing it as a prairie restoration project. He built the home in straw bale construction, and since we've moved in, we brought our three horses, one mule, 6 (now 7) cats, and 4 dogs. We've started two natural beehives and 5 barred rock baby chicks arrive next week. The prairie grasses are still preserved and I keep adding more bee friendly flowers each year. So, the place has become somewhat of a ranch for us, and I've begun calling it "Straw House Ranch". Maybe we could add a byline.. "Straw House Ranch at Wildgrasses"...what a mouthful!
-Paula

'Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift' - Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page