Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What did you name your farm/ranch and why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic
Page: of 12

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  06:56:35 AM  Show Profile
I love Bent Fence Farm! My grandparents owned a farm when I was growing up and we loved to visit them in Oregon. I have such grand memories of that farm (not sure it actually was grand) but if I ever had the opportunity to have a farm, I think I'd come up with a name related to my memory of my grandfather and gram. I can barely run a suburban home, but am so impressed with you farmgirls...I just want a little bit of you in me!!! Thanks for the posts.

quote:
Originally posted by 1badmamawolf

When my husband and I first bought our land 36 years ago, one of the first things we did was fence, and cross fence along with pastures and corrals. No matter how hard we tried, and with the proper equipment and many people helping, not one fence here came out straight, so we deceided that since we had not named the place yet, it would become "Bent Fence Farm", and the name stuck. Most of my neighbors have been here forever also, and they know the story, but when someone new comes along, I have to tell the story, and they look at me with a total question mark on their faces, but even with crooked fences, they are my fences, and I love them all, lol

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  06:57:54 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE it! Great sense of humor...

quote:
Originally posted by happydaze

We are HappyDaze MiniFarm....Hubby's happy, I'm in a daze, and we only have mini animals...except our extra large guard dog.

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  07:00:58 AM  Show Profile
That's a really sweet name. It's so nice that everyone seems to pull their name from some part of their lives, not just from the landscape itself.

quote:
Originally posted by Pamela Joy

We affectionately call our place "Happy Acres" farm. It was the name of the day camp/nursery school I went to when I was little. I always loved the name. But when we sell or give eggs to co-workers or friends, they are usually referred to as "Marshall Farm Eggs" (our last name, of course).

Peace, Love, and Joy

Go to Top of Page

SarAvery
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sara
West Stockbridge MA
USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  09:32:30 AM  Show Profile
Since our's is not really a farm, we jokingly call it Rockland Farm. The cemetery down the road is Rockland Cemetery and my boyfriend is constantly saying "if rock's were worth money, we would be rich!!"
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  4:44:05 PM  Show Profile
What a bunch of cute and amuseing names you girls have for your homes/farms and ranches. Mine is "The Old Bitty Hen Farm", after a banty hen that showed up one day, and became BOSS of all the animals on my place, she was tuff as nails and as sweet as honey, she lived to be 12 yrs old...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Kampercatt
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Zoe
Elkhorn WI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  2:55:09 PM  Show Profile
I/we had a farmette and sold it in 2006, I found Mary Jane and the sisterhood in 2009.
I've been kicking myself ever since!!! I always wanted to move to Kalispell, MT to be
by our best friends, but it wasn't in the books. I named the farm Kalli-Mon Galloways,
after that beautiful country and the Galloway cattle I raised for 20 years. Hind-sight
don't you hate it!! Looking to get some chickens now and I did a raised bed garden this
season... more to come and oh yes my Glamper is almost ready to go!!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  09:38:55 AM  Show Profile
I was fooling with building a practice website, and put myself on the spot to come up with a farm name quickly.
I went with Silvermoon Farm, in honor of the "Silver Moon Ranch" the 60 acre appaloosa ranch we had until I was 10.
That property is where I grew my first garden, picked my first apples off of trees, and harvested hundreds of pounds of blackberries, learned about pasture nutrition and animal husbandry, swam in a natural creek, and its the life I want my kids to have.

I even designed a nice logo for a placeholder, of a jersey cow jumping over a silver crescent moon (I have my heart set on some jerseys!)

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  4:34:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, my double size city lot isn't exactly a farm but I call it Fiddlehead Farm. I have lots of shaded areas and grow many ferns and hostas. I have always liked the name Fiddlehead. Within the next year we will have a real farm and probably a new farm name.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Primginger
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Melissa
Wescosville pa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  06:31:34 AM  Show Profile
The name of our spot is "Heirloom Homestead", hence the name of my husbands blog. I attached a link to his blog mainly because he updates his more than I do mine. His blog involves more history of our home and the things we do on a daily basis, while I tend to those daily chores, see, he has time, I do not.

Enjoying my little Homestead
www.heirloomhomestead.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  3:54:09 PM  Show Profile
I love reading these farm/ranch names and how they came to be, so I thought I would bump it up so all the new girls can read and post also...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  6:54:17 PM  Show Profile
My parents' place is called Next Year Ranch. I came up with the name one day because everything was going to happen next year.... we'll build that barn next year......we'll seed that pasture next year...... we'll fence that area next year...... gonna buy that stud next year.....

I'm just trying to come up with a name for my little "farm" and hopefully budding business. I'm leaning towards Lilac Cottage Farm.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  06:17:06 AM  Show Profile
Such cute names you all have for your farms..I haven't named our little farm, I guess because even though my 3.27 acres has a barn, garden, a donkey and chickens, I didn't think of it as a 'producing' farm like the dairy farm I grew up on. Hmmm..maybe I should name it!

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´Michelle Farmgirl #85

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Edited by - tangledthreads on Jan 13 2012 06:17:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  12:09:46 PM  Show Profile
I love reading where everyone came up with these great names for places so special in their hearts! Mine is Mud Pony Farm, from one of my favorite books, The Mud Pony, and because I think everybody should get a little dirty sometimes!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  2:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Don't get me wrong, the actual name of my farm is likely to change once I have a piece of land to worth with... I feel kind of like a pregnant woman trying to choose a name for a child she hasn't met yet, and when she looks into her baby's eyes, all thoughts of names like "Sebastian" and "Chloe" are gone, and the right name for that person is a tangible thing.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

jbowyer01
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jennifer
Cusseta Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  11:52:03 AM  Show Profile
I love hearing all the names. Its amazing how a name can conjure up memories or dreams. My husband and I recently purchase an 1900s old farm house with 2 acres. I raise show poultry (all bantams)and sell eggs. I also have miniature doxies and a tiny little rabbit. Our cat is even small. Since we are only starting out We've named our farm "AlMosta Farm" because were not quite there yet. I dont think we'll ever have enough animals to be more than almost LOL. Something I have found that I love (which I thought I'd be terrified of) is in the wee hours of the morning right before dawn breaks and its still totally dark outside, I go out to open the popholes on the chicken pens. While I'm doing the morning chores of fresh water, treats for the chickens and feeding all the others, I've found if I take a few seconds to just stand and breath, I get to say a quick prayer of thanks for my day and to really appreciate everything I've been given. Its my favorite time of the day.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us

Charles Bukowski
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  9:14:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking about using my online identity as inspiration for "Dusky Hill Farm" but you know... I really need to buy a farm on a hill for that! LOL. I looked into it and the only other google listing is for a farmstay B&B in New Zealand.

I also like "Wits End Homestead" because all the wit, education and cleverness in the world won't save you from a cantankerous dairy cow or an ornery rooster or keep you from being pooped on. Quite a few Wits End farms/ranches on the web though.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  5:48:00 PM  Show Profile
Ours will be "Fossil Creek Ranch" because the huge creek at the back of the property is absolutely full of fossils. One of the largest fossil beds in the world in not far from us.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  8:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer- I absolutely LOVE the name "Almosta Farm". How very clever...your farm name is exactly how I feel. I livein "suburbia" on 3/4 acre. I have raised bed gardens and chickens for eggs, and plan on getting a rabbit this spring too. If it were up to me I'd have the whole gammit- but my DH already thinks I am a little nuts! Ha ha.
I have been trying to come up with a name for my "farm"- my house is a ranch style house, so I've toyed with putting "ranch" in the name but didnt want to imply I have cattle...LOL.
Here are a few names I've been toying with...
"Plain & Simple Farm"
"Nothin Fancy Farm"
"Simple Beginnings Farm"
"Simple Pleasures Farm"
"Planting Happiness Farm"
"Growing Happiness Farm"
Any thoughts or comments or suggestions farmgirls?
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Caroline Sunshine
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Carolyn
Thornton WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  10:21:51 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I married just after I turned 50 and he 52 (birthdays on 9/1 and 9/2). We bought our first little ranch in central California. I worked 25 miles away from home and he worked 30 miles from home. We were both in Heaven! We love the country. The first thing we did was build a nice fence for our horses and an entry-way under which to drive into the property. We were thinking of having a sign to name the ranch and one day I came home from work and said "Promised Land Ranch" -- that's it! Every day when I am driving home, I feel like I'm driving to the "Promised Land." It stuck. We had a wonderful sign made and we have gone from our 5 acre "honeymoon" Promised Land Ranch, to our current 10 acre "Promised Land Ranch in Eastern Washington.

This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  05:09:37 AM  Show Profile
lAURIE
Ithink Simple Pleasures Farm sounds charming!
marianne
Go to Top of Page

jbowyer01
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jennifer
Cusseta Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  07:01:48 AM  Show Profile
Laurentany what about Menagerie Farm? Sounds like you have a menagerie (a little of a whole bunch of things) LOL. My DH said he'll give up telling me know when I convince him to let me have a llama. So we'll see LOL

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us

Charles Bukowski
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  09:50:02 AM  Show Profile
"He has brought us to this place, and has given us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey." Deut 26:9

It wasn't until I became a farm girl that I recognized how much that passage said-- what a blessing sustainability is; to not only eat, but to eat well on produce, dairy, eggs and honey... you really don't need anything else.

Go to Top of Page

minismith
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Nancy
Moscow TN
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  8:10:40 PM  Show Profile
While we don't have an official name--it's known by the family name--my husband and I call it "Dragon's Moor" because, until I dug over 200 feet of ditches by hand, our property was so boggy during the winter that it would suck your muck boots right off your feet!

Nancy
Naturalized Farmgirl
Live a Savory Life!

http://www.liveasavorylife.com
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  6:02:15 PM  Show Profile
We named our farm Walnut Ridge Farm because we have so many black walnut trees on the property.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Caroline Sunshine
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Carolyn
Thornton WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  6:26:17 PM  Show Profile
When we were on vacation many years ago, we drove through the Pacific Northwest to visit my husband's family. On our way we passed through some beautiful valleys and along one road was a wonderful large timber entryway to a ranch. The sign hanging beneath the large cross timber said "Rancho Costa Plente." I always thought that was a fun name! Since that day, I have seen another variation: "Rancho Costa Mucho." I love fun and funny names - REALLY love the "Oleo" acres - "one of the cheaper priced spreads" -- that is awesome!

This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Every day on the farm is JOY to the soul!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page