Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What did you name your farm/ranch and why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic
Page: of 12

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  8:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
My hubby has had this deer camp since 76...he named it Pin Oak Farm because he planted Pin Oak trees that were no bigger than your thumb(about 50 trees)...they now are over 25 to 35 ft tall and some taller....he wanted them to line the driveway someday...well they grew but he never put the driveway where the trees are...anyway...that is how the farm got its name..The farm is 88.25 acres...we married in 09 and he had moved here from Atlanta full time just months before we married. Now it isn't used only as a deer camp anymore...now it is our home...it is such a beautiful place. Here is a pic of it during the snow last year. This pic is of two of his three grown children...as we played on the hill in the snow with some of the pin oak trees in the background.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  8:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Havent decided on a name yet...still tossin' around the ones I posted a few weeks ago. I started to build a blog and came up with the name
"Simple Suburban Pleasures" since I am all about the simple things in life and I live in the suburbs etc.
Hmmm...so many variations of things- guess I'll have to continue to ponder ....
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..

Edited by - laurentany on Feb 01 2012 8:23:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  11:49:12 AM  Show Profile
We named our little farm "Leap of Faith Farm" because it took a huge leap of faith to pick up everything and move 7 years ago and follow our dream :)

~Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.~
Mother Teresa

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  7:34:42 PM  Show Profile
Love that name Kim- how true! Very cute and catchy( and it has great meaning!)
Good for you!
Smiles,

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Colina
Homosassa FL
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  09:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Send rubyleesmom a Yahoo! Message
Our little farm is called "Black Sheep Horse Ranch or "Black Sheep Farm" (easier for my lil girl to say). We are the black sheep of both our families, actually bought the land during a family fued with some inlaws in a rush to get our horses off thier land..lol. Feud is over now and we are all one big happy family again. Looking back though, I know there is a reason for everything and I would not give up our little 4.5 acre piece of heaven for the world!
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  10:37:10 AM  Show Profile
Our farm (at my MIL's) is named after my hubby's family. Caler Farms. My hubby actually calls our home Rushton Farm after some of the original owners.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

AshleyH
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Ashley
Forsyth Mt.
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  3:42:37 PM  Show Profile
I named our farm Wild Woman Farm, because It is just me that does anything with it. I raise sheep and pigs, I sell yarn I make from my sheep and alpacas. I sell milk I make from my goats and I also sell Herbal things, and laundry soap. I decided to name it this because my mother-in-law says I run around like a wild woman trying to get everything done!

http://#8203;www.wildwomanfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

minismith
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Nancy
Moscow TN
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  7:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Unofficially, we're Dragon's Moor Farm. The first winter we were here was so wet we felt like we'd moved to a swamp. Moor seemed so much more poetic than Dragon's Swamp Farm.

Nancy
Naturalized Farmgirl
Live a Savory Life!

http://www.liveasavorylife.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:59:47 PM  Show Profile
We named ours Country Fried Acres. Not sure why we named it that in the first place, but after the house burned, its seems fitting. I am considering renaming it. Opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com

Edited by - FARMALLChick on Feb 17 2012 07:03:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  2:26:18 PM  Show Profile
I have been tossing around names and ideas for the past year or so. I live in the suburbs, on just shy of an acre. I have raised vegetable beds, flower beds, chickens for eggs and will soon be adding a few rabbits. I've posted on this thread before, but just yesterday while at work I made a phone call to one of our suppliers. I am fairly friendly with the girl who answers the phone there. When she answered the phone, I said "Hi Stacy, its Laurie at Emerald Island...How are you today?" Well- her response was classic.... She said "oh you know....
Livin the Dream" (she was being sarcastic, as she is not always the most upbeat person). HOWEVER... when those words left her mouth...
LIVIN THE DREAM..it just hit home with me. What better name for my little "farm" than "Livin the Dream"?I think I might actually go with it. Its just so literal, and indicative of all that I do on my little homestead. When I am home I am "livin the dream" so why not make it official?
What do y'all think?

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Edited by - laurentany on Feb 17 2012 2:28:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Faye44
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Faye
Minnesota
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  4:56:30 PM  Show Profile
We have a piece of land in Northern Wyoming near the Big Horns where we are slowly building our retirement home.
As a joke I started calling it The Dirt Ranch because all we seem to do is try to tame the dirt that blows. Now it has stuck.

(Teresa Sue... we can see Heart Mountain from our place.)

I'm new here and haven't introduced myself yet (just joined today) I'll get to that eventually, but I couldn't resist this topic! Plus I'm just getting my feet wet for now....

Faye
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  6:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Laurie,
I think you found it!! Sounds like it fits. Congratulations

Faye,
Welcome. Your retirement spread sounds like it is gorgeous.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

NeeNee
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

WhiTTneY
South point Ohio
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  08:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Send NeeNee a Yahoo! Message
i love all the name you have for your homestead. We move around, cause of the Marine Corps so not anytime soon will we have a farm of our own. or even a house for that matter. but for now we are renting a farm in south western Mo. im super exited for that. we are able to have farm animals but im not sure its warth it cause will be moving in a cpl years. anyone have any thought on that. But for the mean time im gowing to take advantage an garden my lil tush off.

FaRmGirL SiStEr# 3203
~ The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. ~
~A Bible That is falling apart Probably belong to someone who isnt~
*Being fueled with self-determination can make us strive for great things.*

http://my2.tupperware.com/whittneyc
http://hislilwildflower.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cheeselady
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

michele
waxhaw NC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  3:10:04 PM  Show Profile
Our place is a small homestead in the middle of the woods. So we named our farm Bosky Acres. Bosky means wooded. We found the name from a Shakespeare quote. "and with each end of thy blue bow dost crown my bosky acres and my unshrubbed down" The Tempest act four scene one.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  4:04:55 PM  Show Profile
Cream of the Crop Barrel and Trail Horses....The name is self explanatory....but the fact that many of our horses are palomino doesn't hurt either.

Horse poor in the boonies.
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  6:42:47 PM  Show Profile
We named our farm/homestead when we were living on 32 acres. We now only have a little less than an acre where we live and about 3 acres by the river across from my MIL. Anyway, we named our farm 4m farm. Our last name is Morgan and there are 4 of us in the family.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Wendella
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Wendy
Baudette Minnesota
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  4:58:34 PM  Show Profile
I named my place Wild Rose Ranch. I was riding my horse along the rode one day and saw some wild roses and had an ah ha moment about using it for my business name. I always dreamed about having a ranch named that one day and drew pictures of the big log over hanging gateway the drive way would have and how it would say Wild rose Ranch. Well now I do have a little ranch with a sign like that! and there are wild roses all over the place on it. Dreams do come true.
Go to Top of Page

GreenMtnGal
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Morgan
Underhill VT
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Ours is Luce Ends Farm. For a couple of reasons... 1) our last name is Luce. And 2) there are always tons of loose ends around here that need tying up! :)
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:55:29 PM  Show Profile
This is fascinating! My soon-to-be husband and I are in the middle of trying to buy a little tiny farm and I was just thinking of what we would name it, today. God permitting, once it's ours, I will come up with a name and I will let y'all know! In the mean time, I will be getting some brainstorming by reading what everyone else has written!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

http://www.bricolagewedding.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

houligan19
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

sarah
groton CT
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  09:29:10 AM  Show Profile
I love all of these stories so much. I can't wait to get my own farm so that I can have my very own space special enough to give a name to. Thank you so much for all the stories.

http://earthhomevt.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  06:54:17 AM  Show Profile
We agreed on the name MiaBella Farm for a few reasons: Mia Bella in Italian means My Beautiful, I grew up with a young man born in Italy who used to call me Mia Bella Michelle and we loved each other very much in a plutonic way of course. He passed away in his sleep at a very young age (early 30's) from pancreas failure. He did not know he was I'll. Also, I feel that the land we purchased is very beautiful, so the name MiaBella Farm (My Beautiful Farm) came to be. When I was raising dairy goats, I would tell folks it was where beautiful goats lived :-)

Oh and I named the first buck born here Emidio after my friend who passed. I felt it was appropriate at the time.

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com

Edited by - MiaBella on May 08 2012 06:55:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  1:18:25 PM  Show Profile
Maggie's Farm after Rod Stewart's "Aint Gonna Work On Maggies Farm No More"! Yeah, right. I am still there. ;>)

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Rustic Reb
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Rebecca
Pickford Michigan
97 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  2:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Our numbers are few; 21 chickens, two rooster, six peacocks, a goose, two cats, two rabbits, a dog and myself. It was starting to sound like a nice little farm coming together. Yet....The kids and my mother kept saying, " Meet you back at the ranch." I now live on Kelden Ranch.

Don't be sorry that it's over... Be glad that it happened.
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  3:17:35 PM  Show Profile
We named our farm Gentle Hearth Farm
Gentle meaning kind,
synonymous...peaceful
Hearth meaning home so Gentle Hearth meaning peaceful kind home.
We had chickens and I hope to get more, we make maple syrup on our farm.

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farmgirl" at heart, living on a ridge in the Ocooch Mountains in Southwest Wisconsin, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

Brandy Patricia
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Brandy
Sarasota Florida
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  2:41:00 PM  Show Profile
I love that this thread is three years old!

I very much enjoyed reading y'alls stories. I hope we come up with a good name for our little neck of the woods (that we just bought one month ago). We're getting into the agriculture business, too. We're just trying to find our niche! A niche, a name, and a lot of hard work!

Happy Trails to All!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page