Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic balls on the potato plants Next Topic  

ontariogirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lisa
Dutton Ontario
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  09:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ontariogirl's MSN Messenger address
Hello everyone
My garden is doing great this years so far but....there is always a but . My potato plants have little green balls on them any ideas what they are ????

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  09:48:11 AM  Show Profile
On the leaves? If itis a leaf all balled up you have a bug. they destroy the leaf to make a home. I have seen it never had to treat it.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  11:19:50 AM  Show Profile
Do you have tomatoe plants close to your potatoes? Since both are nightshades they will cross pollinate and your potatoe plants will try to grow tomatoes.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  12:50:30 PM  Show Profile
I think it's what Sarah says...this post jarred my memory of finding something VERY similar last weekend. I thought it was a tomato...and this makes perfect sense based on Sarah's description.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  1:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, did you know that if you plant your potatoe eyes in the dirt under your tomatoe plants you can grow potatoes in the roots and tomatoes on the plant? My dad taught me this. Huge space saver for small garden areas. :)

And Lisa, these "tomatoes" will not hurt your potatoe plants or crop. It's just one of those interesting things that happens.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

ontariogirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lisa
Dutton Ontario
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  2:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ontariogirl's MSN Messenger address
Thank you all for the info. It must be because I did plant tomatoes close this year..phewwwwwww was a little confused as never have seen them before. Thank you all !
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  6:37:17 PM  Show Profile
I was just going to say what Sarah said. All the same family. I had never seen it before until this year.. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  8:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I have them too. 3 to be exact but only on one plant. It started as a pretty purple flower and turned into green balls!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:15:14 PM  Show Profile
Even if you don't have tomatoes close to your potatoes, it's not unusual to get the potato "fruits". The tubers below ground are actually modified stems and not "fruits". They don't have anything to do with the flowers, who's ultimate goal is to produce seeds for the next generation (which are in the "fruits")

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  07:18:15 AM  Show Profile
Sarah! What a great idea! Especially because with all the rain we had this year, my potatoes are CRAZY big. I mean the actual plant itself. They've taken over everything!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  08:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, how do you do that? Plant the potatoes under the tomatoes? When do you harvest the potatoes? We harvested out potatoes weeks ago and the tomatoes are just now comming on. In fact I just planted my fall crop of potatoes.

Belle
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic balls on the potato plants Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page