Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 I am losing the battle with poison ivy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic I am losing the battle with poison ivy Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:19:42 AM  Show Profile
I've tried all "natural" methods to eradicate this awful plant, and back it comes each year, only stronger. I am severely allergic to it, and really am even afraid to pull it with rubber gloves, wrapped up like a mummy.

Here's the thing...there is some between both of my raised beds--RIGHT where I need to be to pull tomatoes, and green beans. I can wear my rubber knee high boots, but I'm still going to step in it and then I have to take my boots off...so I'm going to get it anyway.

If I have to break down and use a chemical, will that harm the soil and the contents of my raised beds?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  12:10:25 PM  Show Profile
Have someone else lay a couple of layers of heavy black plastic down, then use rocks, bricks, stakes or whatever to hold it down, the heat created by the sun on the black plastic will kill the plant, and parts and or peices that are visible this fall need to be burned, again by someone else, way far away from your house.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  12:11:33 PM  Show Profile
P.S. keep the black plastic down year round in the trouble spots, one day it will not come back

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  2:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
A friend of mine swears by 'Brush B Gone'. I've never used it. Also, fyi, the burning thing may not be a good idea. My mom burned the stuff years ago and the smoke from it got in her lungs. She was a sick puppy for quite a while. I like that plastic idea, Teresa. I'm going to try that one.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  5:35:38 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, want a goat or two? They love the stuff. The only thing is I touch them and get it on me.

Sorry you're having trouble with that nasty weed. It is all over here. And of course it's where I can't put my goats, like in the garden.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  06:21:39 AM  Show Profile
Poison Ivy has a cousin here in TX that has five leaves but the same deadly oil in it. It took us forever to figure out why my son and I kept getting the worse case of the rash that kept us in the Dr's office year round. I finally had to get a man from the county extension office to come out and find what was making us so sick and how to get rid of it. It looks just like poison ivy but really has five leaves instead of three. For us it is just short of deadly.
He told us to use Round Up. The roots are very long and will just come up somewhere else.
He wrote me a list of how to get the oil off everything including my all my garden tools. I had to hire someone to spray it at the ground, cut the green part off and bag it and take it to the dump. Never burn it, the oil travels in the smoke and it will get in the eyes and lungs.
That happened to us when the neighbor burned it off his fence line.

I am not saying what you should do! Only saying what we went through. Your Extension Office will be able to help you in your area I sure.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  07:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, all. I have read that burning it can be deadly, especially for the lungs. So sorry your mother found that out the hard way, Janice. Must have been awful for her!

Last night, I went out (in the rain) and took stock of all the places I see it...it's even in my rose bed. Never has been there before, as that was a bed we created with all new soil and plantings. Maybe birds drop it?

Melody June, we have that 5 leaf thing here, too, I think it's called Virginia Creeper. My neighbor tells me that we have poison ivy growing up our tree, but it's the creeper. Maybe she's also used to the 5 leaf thing you have?

I will call the extension service. Hopefully, I can talk to someone there other than the receptionist (who, bless her hear TRIES to help, but can't)...

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  07:26:00 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
Borrow a goat. They love it & it will be GONE!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  08:25:31 AM  Show Profile

sorry about the burn it thing, I have burned it without any problems, but I never will again after reading what you all wrote, I had no idea it will cause respitory problems.

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:50:51 AM  Show Profile
The 5 leaf thing might be poison Oak. I don't think the Virginia Creeper is poison. At least I'm not allergic to it. I have it all over the place. I am all the time pulling it up and throwing it on the brush pile. Our neighbor has it growing up the side of their carport. Using is as a sunscreen. Yes, round up works but you have to keep after it for at least a couple of years to get rid of it. That goes for Poison Ivy, Oak and creeper. Or at least it worked for me.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  2:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Let us know how you are rid of it. I like the goat idea BTW.... If I can just find a couple of those. I'm finally over my bad reaction. The steroids I had to take to be rid of the darn stuff all in my body caused my blood sugar to spike dangerously high!!! I don't know what I would have done without taking that though....

Nasty evil stuff. (I think it should be registered as a "torture" with the UN....that, and Sponge Bob cartoons)
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  4:06:21 PM  Show Profile
Black plastic is a greally good idea. I have used it in certain aresa of my raised beds to keep the weeds down. Poison ivy is awful stuff...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  6:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Jonni:
I'm having the same trouble with poison ivy. I'm just getting my eyelids opened all the way from the stuff!!!!!! I did have gloves on, but (not thinking) I was wiping my eyes and face and neck with my gloves on. Oh, well... We live out in the country and that stuff grows all over, it just comes up and starts growing crazy. My hubby kills it, but give it a week or so, and it's back.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  8:08:29 PM  Show Profile
You could have poison sumac. It's really baaad. It grows more like a shrub or tree if left alone.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  8:12:54 PM  Show Profile
I like to grow my veggies organically, but I don't have any problem at all using extra-strength Round-up (or glycosphate, generic name) to kill poison ivy. It is a systemic herbicide, so when you spray it on the leaves, it kills the whole plant down to the roots. Follow the label directions - it is important to watch the weather report so that you don't spray just before it rains and washes the stuff off the leaves. Be careful of spray drift, you might want a big piece of cardboard or something to protect your garden plants from the overspray.

There are times when you just have to admit that some chemicals are very useful, and that the damage that they might do is minimal compared to the actual health risk you get from things like poison ivy.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  9:11:49 PM  Show Profile
My chickens either eat it or dig it up. Not sure which one but they are in a chicken tractor and I move them around it.

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  09:07:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Brenda. Maybe I will do the round up AND the black plastic. Now, for the pieces in my rose bed...any farmgirl want to barter a hazmat suit?

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic I am losing the battle with poison ivy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page