Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Patti
Sterling Heights MI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  11:17:38 PM  Show Profile
Hello!

I'm a farmgirl here in Michigan. SE part right now, but we really want to get a few acres Up North. How do I join this chapter?

Have a great day!

Patti Sutton

Farmgirl #1184
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  12:38:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Patty,I think you just did! : )
You and I are both in the same mind frame...I too am in the SE corner only I'm farther south than you in Monroe...I too am looking for and hoping to find land up north...If anyone knows of a great piece of acreage up north,I'd love to hear about it by the way!
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  1:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Becky & Patti. I too would love property up north. After spending a week camping in the U.P., Tahquamenon Falls State Park, to be exact, I've decided that I want property up north (not in the U.P.), on a river. Our camp site was off a small part of the river where we could hear it flowing by in the still of the night. It was SO nice! Living off a river would help me to perfect my fishing skills too....like learning HOW to fish!

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PattiSutton
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Patti
Sterling Heights MI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  2:17:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies, great to be a part of this! :-)

Lyn, I totally agree about living off a river. My uncle had a place near Mio along the AuSable River. We spent a few weeks there one summer and it's one of my favorite childhood memories.
CJ, we've been checking for land as long as it's up around West Branch or places north. Hubby likes to search for stuff online when he gets the chance.

Take care,
Patti

Farmgirl #1184
Go to Top of Page

kkprice
True Blue Farmgirl

301 Posts

Karen
Davisburg MI
USA
301 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  2:45:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll -- I've got a little plot of heaven for sale right now in Davisburg. It's four acres, a cozy stone and log home, complete with goats and chickens. We are haviing to downsize and are moving to a sweet little house in town. How wonderful would that be to have a farmgirl buy my house!

Karen

Follow your bliss!
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  05:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Karen,
Pics, we need pics.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

hivemama
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Janna
Zeeland MI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I'm a farmgirl at heart living in w. MI. We are in the process of selling our house and are looking for an old farmhouse where we can raise our four little people and start an apiary. looking forward to getting to know ya'll!
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  5:17:21 PM  Show Profile
How cool is that! My friend just sold her parent's property up north near Clare. It had hives on the back end of it...She said she remembered the "Bee Man" coming a couple times a year and then they'd have fresh honey in a big mason jar. The new owners were afraid of the bees and had the Bee Man come and take them off the property as a condition of sale. Come to find out...he had been tending those particular hives for over 30 years! (She never knew it was that long.) It's a shame they had to be relocated. Hope they weren't traumatized. I used to collect bee "stuff". Send my your addi Janna and I'll send along a little surprise for your new venture. Good luck to you.
Go to Top of Page

hivemama
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Janna
Zeeland MI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  6:27:06 PM  Show Profile
We are just getting into the whole beekeeping thing. The whole family is very excited! Our kids can't wait to buy "our farm" so they can just run and play and enjoy the outdoors more. We built a house less than a year ago that we are now selling. People think we're nuts, but we feel very at peace about the whole thing.

I'm guessing the hives moved off your friend's land did fine. Most hives move okay, you just keep their entrance reduced for a while till they get their bearings - I think. I've never had to move one
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  09:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Cheese Making Plans...

Hello again! My darn computer went on the fritz so I'm a bit behind catching up with all of you!

Lyn, if you'd like any help at all with your adoption party please let me know, I'd be happy to help in any way that I can!! I've done many a parties/weddings/receptions but never made it into a "business"...I'm not sure why, I love doing them - may have to rethink this!!! LOL

Patti, Becky and Janna - A BIG!!! Welcome!!!

I talked with Miss Kris who is very busy working this summer and October sounded great to her! Here's the catch, I'm going to be working around 4 kids schedules which only leaves us a possibility of 1 weekend which is Saturday October 16. The other would be Halloween weekend and we usually have a party for the kids. CJ, I know this may be the one that possibly wouldn't work out for you? This isn't a definite yet - my schedule only and I still need to confirm with Kris and her schedule!! In fact, I may be able to do some weekend swapping with the Halloween party and all. (sorry, typing while thinking!) Here's the great plus side to this cheezy adventure, though Kris and myself love our husbands dearly...we're very excited that we get to meet all of you and our husbands are taking off horse camping that weekend! (a plan that they had in the works and a perfect farmgirl cheese making day just confirmed their trip!) Woohoo! Weekend alone in the house...oops, sorry - just a bit of excitement there!

As I'm looking, the 9th of October may also work. So with that for now (a whole lot of me babbling!) Let me know what weekends may work out best for all of you - we'll tentatively go with Saturday October 9th - or Saturday October 16. I'll also check with Kris in the meantime and see what weekend may work best for her:)

Have a good day everyone!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360
http://bluejeancountry.etsy.com/
http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  07:24:35 AM  Show Profile
Hello Michigan farmgirls!!! I have been underground for quite a long while. Trouble with life, computer and such. Missy, the 9th will not work for me but the 16th will - I may have to fool around with the last day of work but I think it can be done. Missy's excitement about this event is starting to filter down to me. You guys will love her - she is such a dear heart. Bless you all -- Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

hivemama
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Janna
Zeeland MI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  6:58:52 PM  Show Profile
The 16th works for me! Sign me up for the cheese making
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  11:31:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm pretty sure the 16th will work for me too
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  2:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Everyone have fun! Afterwards if you can post pictures of the process and a recipe I'd love to try it here at home!
Go to Top of Page

gladwingirl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

candy
Baroda MI
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  5:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Hello Michigan Farmgirls. I'm a farmgirl at heart, originally from the east side of the state, but am now living almost at the Indiana border in West Michigan. I just discovered the Mary Janes Farm magazine and this forum. Are there any local chapters that meet on this side of the state?

Candy

Young souls learn to accept responsibility for their actions. Mature souls learn to accept responsibility for their thoughts. And old souls learn to accept responsibility for their happiness.
Go to Top of Page

PattiSutton
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Patti
Sterling Heights MI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  07:51:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Candy, welcome!

Patti

Farmgirl #1184
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  8:31:44 PM  Show Profile
So, we had our first Farmgirl meeting tonight. We're in the Lansing area. What a fun night of good food and good conversation. Everybody had great ideas as to what we'd all like to do at meetings & outside of meetings. It was so much fun. I can't wait for next month's meeting! Just wanted to share.
Hey, does anybody know where the traveling apron is from the Grosse Isle luncheon with MaryJane? Just excited for it to make it's way to my doorstep is all. :)

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  8:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing. I am glad y'all had a good time. Keep us informed with your goings on and maybe a few of us can drop in with y'all from time to time...if that is ok.

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  9:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Karen, that would be fun! A Michigan farmgirl round-up! We discussed what each one of us knows how to do & what each of us would like to learn how to do. There are some things we want to do that nobody knows how to do. I was thinking that for this, we could network with other farmgirls who do know how to do certain things like cheese making, paper making, etc. If there's farmgirls out there who are willing to hold a "workshop" where we could learn what we don't know, that would be ideal. Well, like the cheese making class that somebody on here is going to do soon. What a great way to learn AND get to know other farmgirls in the Mitten.

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  09:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you guys really had a good meeting and got a lot accomplished. Sure wish I lived closer :-)

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  12:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Cheese Making is on at my house in Fennville (closer to Glenn) for Saturday October 16 or quite possibly Saturday October 23. Could everyone who would like to come please let me know which date works best for you, in the next week we'll figure which date actually will work the best (as Kris will just be ending her work for the season) and start figuring out times and so on:) This should be a FUN day!!! Looking forward to meeting a lot of farmgirls out there:)

If anyone emails me and I don't respond, please post a message on here for me also. For whatever reason MJF is going into my spam mail and I don't know how to reverse that!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360
http://bluejeancountry.etsy.com/
http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

hivemama
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Janna
Zeeland MI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  1:43:28 PM  Show Profile
Melissa - I sent you an email also, but either date works fine for me. Also, in response to Dvillemama - I would be happy to do a soapmaking workshop in the future if people are interested!
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  3:32:23 PM  Show Profile
I am up for cheesemaking too. Either date will work for me - Melissa I will email you too.

I am wondering if any of you ladies know where I might obtain a used plow disk? My husband wants to make a cowboy wok of all things and some kind of stand for a dutch. Both ideas he saw used the disk - more the flat kind than the wavy kind. No, I do no know my way around plowing equipment :-). I mean can you go to Tractor Supply or a place that sells BIG farm equipemnt and get a disk???? Thanks for your help - have a good weekend!

Farmgirl Sister #918

-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  06:54:35 AM  Show Profile
I went to my first meeting of The Dandelion Farmgirls Wednesday. It was a blast. It is so nice to meet women who "get it". They are all very nice ladies. I can't wait until next month. Thanks girls for including me.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Michigan Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page