mi.bees
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Christine
Kalamazoo Mi
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  4:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Ummmmmkay, I guess I thought each state had several chapters depending on location making it easier to get together more often. Nice to be on board with Michigan Farm Girls!

I've got a farmgal in Kalamazoo.
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  8:36:54 PM  Show Profile
Actually most states probaly do have multiple chapters but,since none of us were able to find a chapter nearby one was craeted to include everyone reguardless of where we are. That is not to say that as farmgirls find that they are near each other that more local groups which could meet more frequently could not also be started.
Go to Top of Page

drag0nfly
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

sally
buckley mi
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  04:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Wow!! I didn't know there was this big Michigan group! how fun! I joined the sisterhood only two months ago and am so obsessed!! hahahah.. i started a local chapter for the farming area in which i live, but i'm the only member so far. haha. That's okay though because i talk about the sisterhood and merit badges to everyone and ive gotten a lot of interested feedback from people who want to join.. i guess i need to plan my first get together so my group can start growing! :)
Go to Top of Page

mi.bees
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Christine
Kalamazoo Mi
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  05:31:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi dragOnfly,
Congrats on starting your chapter, I hope you have good luck in finding more local members. The idea behind a local chapter is being able to meet more often, share ideas and enjoy each others company. I wish you well in the true farmgirl spirit! Welcome aboard and best wishes!

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  07:28:04 AM  Show Profile
Christine,
You r correct in thinking that there can be many Farmgirl Chapters within a state.
Farmgirls of the Mitten was loosely put together so those of us who wanted to and were able, could get together occasionally for fun and to brainstorm about how to proceed as a chapter.i.e. gathereings, outings workshops, etc.
But, if you look on the henhouse, you'll see that there are often many chapters within a state. Sometimes based on location and sometimes based on interests. There aren't any hard and fast rules about this, nor should there be in my opinion. I don't think there should be any competition or rivalry
There is plenty of room for all. And time is the only constraint on how active one cares to be.
I think its a great idea for another chapter on the west side of the state. Just think it would be terrific if we all posted the happenings here so we can keep in touch with each other and participate however we can.
You can also get involved in other henhouses. For example, I belong to the quilting, stitchery and reading ones. They are more of a virtual group, meeting online, but we could always get together if we are traveling

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  07:59:22 AM  Show Profile
dragOnfly,

I got the info two summers ago to start a chapter. I guess I didn't realize that I had to recruit my own farmgirls. I was thinking that gals would contact MJF and they would say "Oh yes, we do have a chapter near Clarkston and here is that Farmgirl's #". That didn't happen and I didn't know anyone who might be interested. None of my friends are quite like me! So I was happy when I really started checking around on this sight and found the Dandelion Farmgirl chapter because they meet 15 minutes from me. Thank you, Karen!
Might I suggest posting at your local feed store or finding gals through 4-H.
We just finished up our Oakland County 4-H fair last week. What a fun filled week. Exhausting but a blast. I have three boys who are all members. Each brought home plenty of ribbons and trophys and Mom got to live the dream for a week!
Worked in the Miracle of Birth barn a few days. Sat at the incubator and answered all of the questions. The teacher in me digs that! But I was pretty much consumed with joy over hanging out there all week. It was like coming home.
Have hatched 14 chicks and 1- and- soon- one- more duckling over the weekend. They're beautiful. Bought some hatching eggs from Michigan State University plus added some of our own.
FYI: Both the Armada Fair and Genesee County fair are coming up next month starting Aug 16 through the weekend. If you are country music lovers, Craig Morgan will be at Genesee County and David Nail will be at Armada. Both do tractor Pulls and Demo Derbies and such. You can Google for more info on both. Might be fun if some you could meet at the fair.

Farmgirl Sister #1706 You can take the girl out of the country but her soul will bring her back.-mlp

www.thestitchincoop.etsy.com
www.ThePatternShack.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mi.bees
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Christine
Kalamazoo Mi
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  08:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Awesome Michele! I hope no one would view a new chapter as a threat or a rival. I hope it would be viewed as farmgirls spreading their wings! I love the idea of local chapters gathering more often and then a state wide gatherings when possible. I think it is important to stay contected on the state level and this would be a great place to do it. Siobhan is on vacation when she returns we will keep you posted on our progress. So much talent, so little time. I have looked at a few of the henhouses and want to join one for quilting and beekeeping. Have a wonderful day! Chris

Go to Top of Page

mi.bees
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Christine
Kalamazoo Mi
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  09:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, How cool! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I love the tractor pulls at the fairs. My hubby restored a Ford 8N 1951 and we use it all the time. I love old tractors. I am also interested in getting chickens.

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  3:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Christine, Please keep all of us posted. K'zoo is only a few hours away and weather and time permitting we (my sis and I) just might show up at some of your meetings. We have a small mororhome so we have some flexibility. Especially if someone will let us plug in on their farm
michele

Go to Top of Page

mi.bees
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Christine
Kalamazoo Mi
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  8:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Will do, Michele! That sounds wonderful!

Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  9:49:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, didn't realize this thread was going on. I too was at the luncheon on Grosse Isle. How fun! I brought my friend with me and she also had fun. I won a Miss Wilma pillow for having my gun license with me. Love that pillow. It's great for traveling. Just last week it went to the U.P. with me. We started our own chapter, named it the Mid-Michigan Farmgirl chapter. We're near Lansing. I looked first but never found any in my area so started my own. All I've done is talked to my friends, even the ones who have never heard of MaryJanesFarm. To help them understand what this is all about, I've loaned them my saved magazines. Just by word of mouth, two of them have also joined the Sisterhood. We want to incorporate merit badge projects into our monthly meetings. We are also including the kids. Part of being resourceful is to not have to pay babysitters, right? We will incorporate Young Cultivator projects into the meetings as activities for the kids to do, with us farmgirls taking turns instructing the kids each month. None of them are old enough to earn badges yet but it doesn't hurt to start 'em out young & teach them the wholesome lifestyle each of us strive for. Our first meeting is August 17th. We'll have our meetings on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. Can't wait! So far we have 7 of us in the Chapter with 3 of us being in the Sisterhood. We're hoping to keep it to a maximum of 10. We'll see.... A side note, I can't wait for the traveling apron to show up in my mailbox. Any word on where it's at now? :)

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com

Edited by - DvilleMama on Jul 22 2010 9:53:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  07:39:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm near lansing. I had NO idea there was a "mini" chapter here? Plus vintage diva and her sis are just in Brighton?
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile
StarMeadow, we're from all over the Lansing area: Dansville, Onondaga, St. John's, Lansing, Mason. My hopes are that everybody will take turns opening up their homes for meetings. Would you like to join us for our first meeting & meet everybody? We have it set for Tuesday, August 17. I think the time is 6:30pm, probably @ my house in Dansville. Let me know & I can keep you posted. Or you can find our page on FB for updates: "Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter and Sisterhood". Request to join & I'll add you. :)

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

701 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
701 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  1:17:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm in St. Johns! Is there still room for me, too?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  2:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Love to. I'll FB you all. I won't be able to meet for the August meeting though. Darn. I'll be out and about on my motorcycle for a couple weeks...KY way...and south.

Jessie Mae!!! Long time no hear from! I must tell you we swung up Dewitt way for Sweeti-licious pie.... OMG GIRL!!! You were right! They are awesome. I had some berry explosion something or other...ala mode of course...Uber Yummy!!!
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  2:50:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh no way! I'd rather be biking to KY too....take me with you!! No, I do not ride but I did grow up on the back of a Harley so I understand why it is such a thrill. Jessie Mae, join us! Do you have a FB to join our page? If not, I can email you all the info. How fun!

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574

Edited by - DvilleMama on Jul 23 2010 5:46:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  3:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Yes "way" and loving every minute of it. :-) BTW...I went to the FB page and asked to join the group! easy peasy. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  5:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Ok, check to see if you were added. It looks like you were but there's a glitch w/ FB right now. Also, I requested you as a friend.

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574

Edited by - DvilleMama on Jul 23 2010 6:09:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  9:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
StarMeadow, a very happy belated birthday to you! I'm back from an exhausting month but my daughters open house was beautiful! I lost a dear friend of mine to breast cancer in February and just before the open house lost another very good friend to an awful motorcycle accident. My days lately have been spent quite literally in my garden, hiding out and just thinking...and my thoughts did wander to this fabulous site that I've missed so much in the last month!

First, please - please sign me up for the traveling apron!!! Love it!!!

Also I have talked to Miss Kris about our cheese making adventure and it seems it may work out better for her schedule to have it after she's done with work for the summer, which would bring us to October. A fun festive fall cheese making day! Planning may just help me get out of this slump that I'm in (love planning parties!) so please let me know who all is interested and I'll get busy with the details! I'm almost positive we'll be having it here at my house which is in Glenn, MI (Saugatuck/Douglas/Fennville/S. Haven area)- that covers them all - lol:) we're right in the middle! Please feel free to throw out some dates as well, Saturdays will probably work out the best for everyone? Looking forward to getting back in the groove of things!

Hugs to all!!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360
http://bluejeancountry.etsy.com/
http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  9:45:14 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, want to help me plan an adoption party? Have most of it thought out. Just need some inexpensive ideas for entertaining the kids that will be there. Most likely would be an indoor event since the adoption won't be final until at least September.

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  01:53:07 AM  Show Profile
Melissa,October sounds great! My request would be that it's not whichever saturday is closest to the 13th I have a Sweet 16 which will probly be that weekend(the 16th)...lol! But,we went camping over that way in oct last year and had a ball! talking about a repeat for this year...probly the week before,if we do...
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  06:37:02 AM  Show Profile
Melissa...I am so sorry to hear about your losses. That can be so hard! My thoughts are with you and how sweet of you to take a few minutes to comment about my birthday! Thank you.

October sounds fun BTW. Ahhhhh <big sigh>....the west side of the state in the fall. I feel a color tour coming on...course by October, who knows?? I have a friend who has a pottery studio just north of S. Haven on Blue Star Highway... Blue Star Pottery. OK...not a creative name but his pottery is beautiful. http://www.bluecoastartists.com/markwilliams.html Have you been? I haven't seen him in years. Looks like he's got some new work (from the website) He belongs to a group of artists that all have their studios in that general area. They usually have a fall "tour", although I think you can visit any of the studios. October might just be the month to reconnect. :-)

Take care.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  08:53:44 AM  Show Profile
October sounds great for cheesemaking. Keep us posted. Am going to a quilt retreat the weekend of the 8-9, but am available after that
Michele

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  09:39:24 AM  Show Profile
Ohhhh...quilting and retreat. What a couple of lovely words together!
Go to Top of Page

becky_scripter
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

becky
pleasant lake MI
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  12:20:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello all-I was hoping that i could join this chapter. Tho i dont know anything about cheesemaking i would love to help in October!!! Becky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Michigan Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page