Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:46:25 AM  Show Profile
I am hosting a baby shower for a friend in the early fall. She is having a boy, her last child just turned 15! i am looking for any ideas for snacks, games or gifts. Do you still give little gifts to people who win games? She is having a boy. She is very practial, which helps. I'm kinda lost at where to start. Thank you

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:53:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh what fun! And I'm wagering she doesn't have ANYTHING for the little one left over from her teen :)

My baby shower for Violet was in January, and my mil's (yep, 2 of them!) did such a wonderful job! We didn't do games, because I'm not much of a game person, but they did give door prizes to people who had a sticker on the bottom of their china dessert plate. Because our little one was going to be named "Violet" they gave everyone who won African Violets.

Make it light hearted--and have food you can make in advance. My mil's made a beautiful chicken casserole (2 big things of this, in foil pans that you can pitch afterwards)and a green salad with raspberries, sunflower seeds and an herbed vinaigrette. They had a beautiful cake, to boot. There was wine, and soda's and water, of course. Everything was served buffet style.

Because it's in the fall, make it a fall themed shower. When will he be born? If it's before Halloween, ask everyone to bring a halloween related baby item--bib, booties, onsies, etc...or around Thanksgiving, a turkey related item. I've seen TONS of cute fall baby items!

Thinking of other things fall related...you could give everyone who wins at games or whatever something autumn related, too. Candles, decor, whatever.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Aug 11 2009 10:55:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  11:54:30 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, thank you. I reaally like the idea of a door prize for bringing a seasonal baby item. I found several baby boy party items today at a thrift store for less than 2.00, including the table cloth and favors. She does not want to do games but the door prizes will be fun. Take good care, Carol

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  1:23:44 PM  Show Profile
It's going to be great, Carol! Babies are such blessings and it's such a wonderful thing to celebrate! She'll have a wonderful time, I know it. Great finds at the thrift!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  09:24:33 AM  Show Profile
My sister had a baby shower for me in January and she made a taco/nacho bar and had salad. She ordered a cake from Costco. Yummy and inexpensive. We had just been to a few showers with weird games, so we decided not to do them. Instead, I made a beaded bookmark for everyone who attended. They all got to pick one and they loved them.

I am glad you are having a shower for her, I am sure she doesnt have anything left. Babies are such miracles!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  09:47:55 AM  Show Profile
I never got a baby shower. I live far from my family, and my MIL said she would give me one.....but never did. Said it would cost too much money. Even though I said I would be fine with one in a park, or her backyard....she said that would be embarrassing you have to have a expensive one.....or none...I got none. *shrug* But, my plans had been if I did have a shower, I was going to make these broaches/pins I seen in a dollar tree book that had ideas of things to do with flea market finds. What you do is use old silver spoons, curl the end, and glue flowers and little stuff in the spoon part. Then glue a "pin" to the back. In the book they used regular sized spoons, for the baby shower, I was going to use old baby spoons from thrift shops and garage sales. My mom gathered a bunch for me and sent them in the mail. She was so upset I never got a shower, she would of came up and did one for me, if she had known my MIL was going to back out like that....by the time my MIL finally came clean and said she wasn't going to give me one........the baby was too old. Even though I kept asking are you sure you are going to do this....cause we need to kind of hurry up. By the time Lela was one, and then she said she wasn't going to do it.....so of course would of been weird by then for my mom to come up and do it. Any way, that's just another reason we need to move away from my inlaws and closer to my family. Not that a baby shower is make it or break it. But, I was even in the hospital by myself, because my MIL said she would be there when I had Lela, but then I was so stupid to go into labor during tennis.....and she had tickets she couldn't waste. So I had to have my baby alone. Even though she promised she would be there for me, and my mom didn't need to come up. Poor mom, has lots of kids and most are in elementary school and I didn't think it was fair to have her come up during school time, and leave all the kids to my dad alone. So I believed my MIL when she said she would be there.....oh well. Lesson learned. lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Aug 16 2009 09:51:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  8:19:02 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I did for my best friends baby shower was making little cloth diapers that I dipped in wax and filled with mints. In one of the "diapers" I put a chocolate covered peanut. Whoever got the "dirty diaper" won the prize. Have fun planning the shower!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  11:36:45 AM  Show Profile
Heather I am sorry that things didn't turn out for you the way they should of. I really like your idea with the spoons. I love the name Lela. I bet she is adorable.
Dawn, did you have a pattern for the diaper? I might google it later.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  1:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Carol, I wish I knew how to use the scanner, I would scan some of the book and show them, they are really pretty.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  5:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Carol, I didn't have a pattern for the diaper. I just cut them out and folded them up like cloth diapers. They were small, party favor size. You can buy cute baby pins at JoAnn Fabrics or any other sewing supply store. I had bought two adorable patterns for the diapers, one in blue, the other pink. I just dipped them in the wax & let them harden. They were simple, cheap to make, but really adorable. The prize was a pink and a blue baby bottle shaped candles.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  05:35:51 AM  Show Profile
I dont know if you have ever seen these. But they are adorable. Baby diaper cakes. they are made from disposable diapers & other baby items that can be used once baby is here. There are a few methods to it, but some seem easier than others. Here are a few websites if you'd like to see. There are lots of videos on youtube as well. My friend at work just made one & it came out great. Said it was very easy.

http://susiestampalot.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-make-diaper-cake.html
http://www.makeadiapercaketoday.com/2008/12/free-how-to-make-diaper-cake.html
http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2007/09/diaper-cake-tutorial.html
http://thecookduke.com/category/diaper-cake/
http://www.saucysprinkles.com/2008/08/diaper-cake-tutorial.html

Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  4:51:35 PM  Show Profile
HI Carol,
One of my clients made candy pacifiers for the guests. The ring was a white life saver mint, the base was a necco candies in the yellow or light colors and a small jelly bean like a jelly belly for the nipple part. She used icing to put them together. They we soooo cute.
She had a rubber duck theme and played a few games with rubber ducks and numbers on the bottoms. She gave them to the mom-to-be later.
Wish I could be of more help.
WENDE
Sister #660

You know your a Farm Girl when...
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Baby Shower ideas, anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page