Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  6:08:23 PM  Show Profile
So I had some friends visit tonight and we had a small dog party. No biggie.

Wouldn't you know one chicken decided to hop the coop (she does this every single night even with a clipped wing) and she ended up being attacked by a dog.

The girl felt truly horrible and really embarassed.

I tried playing it cool and brushed it off. No biggie really, this was a repeat offender who wasn't laying.

What bothered me was having to dispatch my poor bird with my bare hands and still maintain a happy demeanor for the remainder of the party. I had only ever watched someone else do this, so luckily it was a quick and painless death.

Blood doesn't bother me, killing an animal for food doesn't bother me either.

Guess there was no time for a "proper" rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub reverence kind of thing.

And this wasn't the dog's fault....he was just doing what all dogs do with something that moves quickly.

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  6:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh how awful Anna. What a time for the poor girl to get out. I hope it did not put a damper on your party.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  6:48:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh, brother. Talk about worse case scenario..sounds like you did the only think you could do. It must have been a little traumatic for you.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  6:50:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh, brother. Talk about worse case scenario..sounds like you did the only think you could do. It must have been a little traumatic for you.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  03:17:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm more relieved it was a chicken and not one of our cats. But luckily they know how to escape and hide

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  08:15:00 AM  Show Profile
I think it so is different when something is attacked as killing it for food. Seems the later is just quick and one doesn't think about it. Poor woman who owned the dog though. Hope your party did end on a happy note.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  10:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Yea, party went well

I gave out dog favors and sent desert home w/ everyone

The lady however told our boss the next day. Guess she still felt badly. Then I found out she almost left while I was taking care of the chicken....instead of facing me.

Not sure what I think about that. I'm not a B!@# and am one of the most forgiving people there is! The lady has only known me for a little while. I'm trying to build trust and establish a friendship. that's still kind of stinky though

Kind of like breaking something in a store and just leaving

HMmmmmmm
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  1:10:23 PM  Show Profile
Anna
Fear and shame do crazy things to people though and many will run instead of facing stuff!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  4:23:19 PM  Show Profile
How true.

And this person is in no way a farmgirl, so she doesn't understand that this is how it goes sometimes. Be it a dog we know, a ferral dog, or the local wildlife. That's almost harder to accept sometimes

A favorite hen did disappear on the same day, so I'm dwelling more on this favorite than the other one simply b/c i don't know and she vanished w/out so much as a trace anywhere!

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  6:19:04 PM  Show Profile
Anna I hope you find the escapee I know since I have been on our farm I look at things different and even as I was involved in the butchering of cattle, deer, pigs and whatever..many years ago my outlook changed.

I was thinking tonight as I saw a blurb of news this gardening of veggies people are doing and so excited it is good for you. MMM and we have done it for how long and said it??? Guess the media knows though when it really is
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  12:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Hope you find your miaaing girl/ It really is harder not knowing. We consider any chicken out of thier pen to be fair game for our 5 doga and cats, but I still get a little upset.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  03:35:13 AM  Show Profile
I keep hoping she is holed up somewhere on a huge pile of eggs.

Sadly, she was really good about returning to the coop to lay, so I'm guessing it was a hawk.

Pity, since her two suitors have no one to pine over now. I was so thrilled when at least one of these birds turned out to be a hen

She was one of those Millefleur bantams. Very cute and kind of lovey.

Guess I may have to do some serious poultry shopping this year at the fair
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  12:55:07 PM  Show Profile
SO SORRY to hear that! Well yes it wasn't the dogs fault. Just I guess you could call it their instinct. He/She didn't know any better. Also, please don't feel bad, Jesus cares about even the littlest sparrow. God will give your hen a better place to live!
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  1:49:26 PM  Show Profile
One of our older hens (one that should know better) jumped INTO the dog's yard the other day. All I can say is that I am SO glad our lab is a great hunter with a super soft mouth. She picked up the hen (who was squaking up a storm) and basically handed her over to me with not even a scratch. I praised the dog and chewed out the hen while I cuddled her all the way back to her run. I'm sorry to hear about your girls - both of them. I hope your missing one comes back soon (maybe with a clutch of babies?)

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Edited by - 4HMom on Sep 11 2009 1:50:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  10:29:33 AM  Show Profile
It's been a week and no Millie

I caught the rest of the flock across the road and foraging beneath trees in the woods, so something probably got her.

Still I continue to hold out hope.

Anf for a minute last week, I lifted up our blow up pool and prayed hard she hadn't gotten trapped and suffocated. (it was tipped up to dry out against some shrubs)

but luckily no chicken there
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  07:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I have been upset as i have something getting mine, i have put up electric fence to keep something from crawling up the fence, trimmed trees that went out over the fence but still something is getting them. So now im building a big enclosed chicken house that they will have to roost in at nite now.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  09:54:33 AM  Show Profile
Because of where we live we put ours in their house at night. We have them fenced as well with netting over the top. Too many skunks, coyotes, wolves, etc.... out there to take any chances.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  03:39:20 AM  Show Profile
We have 3 coops with one surrounded by the chicken wire. After the garden has been turned under, all 50 chickens will be able to free range during the day. But at night I don't take any chances either.

We have trapped 2 possums thus far and these were on the porch. I'm kind of glad the scent of cat food lured them in and not toward the chickens.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic life on the farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page