Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Sick Chicken -- Need some advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sick Chicken -- Need some advice Next Topic  

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  08:51:40 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine just found one of her Americana chickens sick in the coop. She brought it outside and placed her in some cool sand, thinking she may be overheated. Unfortunately, the chicken didn't make it. She's wondering what may have happened. According to her, her son has had a fever, and wondered if he transferred something to the chicken. Another thing is that the chicken is free range, and loves to hang out in a junk pile -- could it be that the chicken ate some type of rusted metal and was lead poisoned? Or she possibly could have found the turkey scratch grain and eaten it. The only other thing she can think of is that her dh was mowing, and possibly threw a rock that hit the chicken, but she couldn't find any signs of that. She did check her croup and rear end, but found no lumps. Anyone got any ideas? Even though I've got chickens, I'm at a complete loss, as I've never experienced anything like this.

from the hearts of paradise...

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  12:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Julie, Wow, it could be a number of things. It sounds like she ate something. Did she have access to the turkey scratch grain? Or if she did like to hang around the junk pile she could have ate something there. I'm sorry that she died. Sorry this is not much help eaither.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  12:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Paridise-Plantation (ps. like your username!)I'm so very sorry to hear about the chicken. Could of been anything, she could have had a fever it's VERY possible. I don't think that the boy could have been contagious to the chicken, but I had a chicken that died from cheese (a.k.a. table scraps) Does your friend give her chickens scraps from the table? If so, she might want to make sure when she gives them scraps not to give them cheese, chicken, or old food. Sometimes if you give your chickens food that is old, and getting to the point to have mold on the food. You might not want to give them that either. I've also had chickens that died because they got sick and were either cold (in winter), or wet. My family has one through many chicken accidents, and it could be really anything. --- maybe it was the turkey grain. Or the boy's fever - who knows! Well I hope that no more of her chickens suffer anything like her late chicken. I'm praying that it's not a contagious diesease! -To other chickens of course-. Anyway, I hope that information helped! oh, and I should have wrote this in the biggining, that I am not Yasmine. I am her daughter Justice! Sorry, because I should have told you that in the biggining! Well, have a nice day, and again, I hope my info helped!

-JUSTICE
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  7:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about your friends chicken. Hope her son is feeling better and she doesn't lose anymore chickens. I have no idea what to tell you but I was curious to know why Turkey scratch would kill a chicken. We have lots of chickens but no turkeys but just in case in the future we do could someone tell me why chickens can't eat Turkey food?

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  11:36:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I don't have anything definitive, but I wanted to let you know that there are very few zoonosis where a human transfers something to chickens, so I highly doubt the child gave the chicken a disease...that is really sad, and I feel bad for your friend

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  06:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I always keep LA 200 on hand, when i see a sick chick i give them a dose directly into there mouth, now it doesn't take much just a few drops. After a few days all my chicks have been up and going again. I did have a chick that got in a fight and lost her Eye. It festered up before i noticed it and i just dripped the LA 200 right into the eye socket, cleared it up in a few applications.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  05:21:15 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I can't thank you enough. I'll pass all this on to Christy. I also learned a lot, and will make some notes in my 'chicken notebook' for future reference. Farm girls, y'all are the best!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sick Chicken -- Need some advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page