kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  04:24:46 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I heard a big ruccus and saw Jimmy Buffet trying to mount a few of the girls. They would not have anything to do with that! He managed to pull lots of feathers off a few but that's about all. Poor fella! I was just wondering when they will start laying. They are about close to 6 months and no sign of an egg. They are free-range so they could be anywhere if they are. But I haven't heard any loud egg laying songs out back where they all hang out. That's where I have a hay shed and I check it daily for any eggs but nothing so far. I have been feeding them laying mash the past month now. But nothing yet. So this has made me wonder if they will start soon.

I have seen the BR roo doing his thing for a month now. He likes the older women. He hangs out with Summer and Hildi, the 2 hens that have been laying eggs since I got them 8 months ago. And the other older game hens. He's a ladies man for sure!

Also got 2 new chicks. One of the game hens was sitting on 15 eggs and only 2 hatched. I put her and the chicks in a cage in the hen house til they get bigger. She is fierce, too! Mean ole mamma hen.

Has anyone else with New Buffs had theirs to lay eggs yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  06:21:39 AM  Show Profile
I have one new buff about 6 months as well. She just started laying last week. The Rhode Island Reds and sexlinks all same age have just barely started as well. My problem is my leghorns nothing yet and they should've be the earliest. Never can tell. Good luck to you!!

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  06:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Well of course i have noticed for me that weather can also play a part in them laying.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  07:06:56 AM  Show Profile
I got my Buffs in May, and no eggs yet. One of the hens comb is getting really big and red though.

Kris, I stole your name "Russell Crow". Everyone here thinks I am so clever!LOL! SHHHHHHH!!!!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  10:02:00 AM  Show Profile
Gena, that's perfectly ok! I just love that name for a roo. I think his son that I am keeping will be RC Jr. He's already alot like his daddy. Very protective of his girls. Just a good roo.

Now Jimmy, he's another story. I think he's just a big ole chicken. And very hen pecked, too! Those girls just run all over the poor boy. I guess he'll learn soon enuf who's boss. He sure is getting pretty but very slowly. He still does not have all his tail feathers yet. But still very handsome.

Jennifer, that's good to know. I think it may start here soon. They are clucking alot and with him trying to mount them, I think that's a good sign. I'll just have to keep hunting.

Brandee, I know weather has alot to do with laying. But I have not got a single egg yet. They better not molt!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  07:29:45 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I was gonna say molt but, I didn't want to jinx anything. I'm afraid that is exactly what's gonna happen here. The days are shorter and wow have the nights turned cooler, I've also noticed a few girls are looking a little less "dressed" lately. Oh, please say it isn't so!

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers

http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Jimmy Buffet and his girls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page