Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  11:27:54 PM  Show Profile
Well we are back from Minnesota. We went there for a long weekend, my niece got married. She was the first Grandchild of my parents, then of course my first niece, so there is a little "special" feeling there for her. The wedding was very nice, but I am glad to be back home sitting on the porch with you gals. My hubby and I are becoming such home bodies. We just love our farm. I better go see what else I missed while we were away.

Linda

Make God Laugh, Tell HIM Your Plan.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  12:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Patsy and Linda...nice to have you on The Porch today!

Bunny...maybe you won't want that guy for even a friend...who knows these days. Lots of creeps out there. Hopefully this guy who just reconnected with you will be someone you will enjoy spending some time with. ~ Hey, Can't hurt to write to Oprah...if you are feeling directed to do so...go for it. What is the worst that could happen? Nothing! But you just never know what might happen...if you don't at least give it a shot. My first MIL went on Oprah's show and then ended up being invited back two other times...all over a 50 yr. old electric tooth-brush. We still see and hear people commenting on that even to this day. It was really funny!

Melanie...I have been married 3 times. And it wasn't until the third time, that I finally got smart and asked what my husband to be, planned to bring to the marriage. I knew that I was the type of person who gave 150% at all times but I was tired of men who only gave 30% if that. It was a hard conversation to have but he had all the right answers and even though he treats me like a Queen most of the time...every once in awhile he turns back into a Toad and we have to work through things again! I am just sharing that to tell you that you need to ask yourself first off if you are willing to give up your independence (at least partially) and ask him...what he plans to bring to the marriage to make it work? I would rather be married to a Prince who occassionally turns back to a Toad...than to a Toad who rarely morphs into a Prince. lol

Teacher Tammy...sorry about your flat tire. Bummer! I hate car problems! But atleast you turned a bad situation into a Concert! Reminds me of Paul and Silas when they were in jail and sang songs of Praise after having been beaten. OK so a flat tire isn't as bad as a beating but you get the connection, I am sure. ~ Have fun at the Fair! I use to love to take in our local Fair but...can't walk that long anymore.

Julie...I will have to check that article out in Whole Living. I go to Barnes and Noble at least 4 or 5 times per week. I love hanging
out at book stores. After I quit managing a couple of Christian Bookstores...I find I still need to be around books and the people who
like to work around them. It was a bummer to hear that all Borders Bookstores are going out of business. So sad!

Megan...hope you get to see your uncles tomorrow. But even if you don't I am sure you will still do something fun!

Well My Porchies...I am off to start a new book tonight and have some Iced-Sweet Tea. I am leaving some chocolate eclairs on the
Porch for you all. Enjoy!

blessings,
peg

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 09 2011 12:28:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  05:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Porchies, Good to see everyone this morning....It has been a great weekend for us around here. A wedding on Sat. then unexpected guests Sunday. But that's ok. Were we live now used to be my DH deer camp and not his full time home. We have lived here since we got married 2 years ago. So everyone that used to come when it was a deer camp still come by every now and then. Jim has been like a father to many young men through his life time so they still come see him. It is so nice to hear some of the stories. My blessed to have a DH that has given so much to others.

Tracy, love, love, love the poem. Thanks for sharing.

Mel, the bag is beautiful, you are so talented.

Megan, seems you and your Grandparents are staying very busy. Enjoy your time with them.

Peggy, I understand what you mean about resting up. We had my 2 nieces and nephew for a week(we get them every summer) They are 15,12 and 8 so when they went home first thing I did was nap too...lol.. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. Thank you for taking the time to help me last night. It really helped

Angela, Wow you have been so busy, makes me tired just reading about it. I understand about going into town. When we have to go to a town that has more than just a grocery store it is a few hour trip for us too. DH took me out to eat at his favorite restaurant on our anniv. was a day trip for sure.

Bunny, Well I am glad you went on the date but please be careful. If you feel that something isn't just right, go with your feelings...they are usually right. I use to be a police officer and can tell you that it is important to listen to your feelings..women are usually good at first impressions.
Good luck with the new guy. Hey writing Oprah can't hurt..lol..good luck with that.

Melanie, I hope things get better with your Mom, it has to be hard dealing with the way she feels sometimes. Hope you enjoyed your day off.

Tammy, have fun at the fair. It is hard for us to go because of DH not being able to walk long but he still manages for short periods for me...he knows how I love them. When does school start for ya'll? Sorry about your flat time..that's the pits. Twin Sons, wow...I understand the praying, when my oldest started playing HS football I did just like you. Now it is my youngest GS..wow how time flies...more prayers for my sweet GS...the apple of my eye.

FarmDream, congrats on the great deal on the purse.

Well I'm off to work on my yo yo's...Peggy helped me alot with instructions so I feel a little better about the way they look now. I'm sure they will get a little better with practice. Have a great day ladies. I will check in again later on. Leaving another cherry cobbler for ya'll to enjoy...Sorry DH took out a serving before I got out of the house but it is one of his favorites :)

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  08:55:17 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, I've been MIA (again)! Needed to pop in and say "Thanks!" to Judy for the bday card and teas, so sweet, Thank you!
Also, I have the ornaments done and ready to go and I have a few addresses. If you were on the swap list for monthly Porchie ornaments, please email me your addy.
I have for Peggy, Darlene, Pam, and Angela. I'm sorry, I know I got ornaments from several of you others over the past few months but I can't put my hands on my list.
Thank you and...
Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on Aug 09 2011 08:56:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  09:25:16 AM  Show Profile
Staci, I sent you my address.. thanks for the reminder. I better get back to working on mine. I'm up for October.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:01:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanx All for the compliments on the bag! Judy....tell your Mom it's a free pattern from ...allpeoplequilt.com...called the Reusable Market Bag. They have a variety of great bag patterns there. I hope to make a few more bags from that site. :)

Megan.....so glad you are able to spend time with your grandparents. Grandparents are a blessing.....they impart so much knowledge without even trying. I cherish the summers I spent on my grandparents farm. I even lived with each set of grandparents for a time. I learned so much and wouldn't change a day of it. Enjoy!! :)

Bunny...glad you broke away from the "boss from Hell". Your future looks bright!! Good luck with the guy thing! The right guy is out there somewhere...and time will bring him to you. I like all the goals you have set for yourself....gives me inspiration!! :) I would not worry about your reputation being sullied by the ex-boss. I used to work at a fabric/quilt shop and the owner was a bit of a 'pip' but everyone in the quilting community was aware of it...so all things she said was taken with the a grain of salt! Besides...what goes around, comes around!
Good thoughts and prayers in all you do.

Penny...you are lucky to have Peggy to help with the yo yo's. Peggy is our resident sage (NO reference to age here). She is our know all see all.
I am sure all of us treasure her insightful, encouraging, creative, funny self!!!!!!!!! Thanx Peggy for who you are and all you do for us!!!!!!!!!

Melanie......please be very thoughtful about getting married....if it's been 5 yrs...and he has never stayed for an extended period of time....please believe me...you do not really know what you could be taking on and with kids......you don't need any more people to clean up after. There is an old adage "familiarity breeds contempt". I know you're in love but it can be blind even though you may not feel like it.
I wish for your happiness but I want you to be "absolutely positively" sure. Prenup!!!!!!!!!! :)

Elaine.....how is DD doing? So happy about the new job! Have you gotten to fix up your classroom? Do you have a certain theme? I would have no idea what 4th graders like. But of course being a teacher I would imagine you are totally connected to the kids. I think they are going to be so lucky to have you in their classroom! :)

TLT Tammy.....Sorry to hear about the flat tire and no a/c. Congrats on the cooler weather, we are only on our 39th day of 100+ degree days.
I understand that having an aquarium and fish is supposed to have a calming effect on folks. Maybe I should consider that? LOL :)
What animals are your boys showing at the fair? I am excited to go to the Texas State Fair next month...Randy Travis is going to be there this year.

Ok, porchies!! I am off.....for those I didn't address......I love ya all....hugs and prayers to everyone!!

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  11:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey Penny...I hope my little Tutorial Helped with the YoYo's. I'm thinking I might put that on my blog and then I
can refer future Heart Shaped Yo-Yo Makers to the blog site for a visual aid...if they are brand new to making yoyo's.
Once you get the hang of it...you just can't believe how easy they are...and before you know it, you are addicted and
making them...even if there isn't a swap going on. LOL Oh, yes many of us can testify to that! I also have bought
broach backings and made individual sweater or jacket pins for friends as little encouragments. They are so cute!
Many things you can do with them. I also keep extra's to stick into misc. barter packages so others can see how fun
they are to craft with.

Staci...glad to have you on The Porch farmgirl friend. Come on back when you can stay for awhile. We love visiting with
you. Did you enter anymore Scones into this years Fair? I think you must be the "Queen of The Yummiest Scones on the
Planet".

Bunny...with all the drama going on in your life...did you get my check dear? Just want to make sure it arrived to you.

Mel...What a sweet comment you made. That was very kind of you. You made me blush but you also made my heart smile...as
we all want to think we have a purpose in this life...to help others and encourage others. ~ Also, you had your own sage
advice to Melanie. Every one on The Porch...are just Fabulous at reaching out to others and and being there for one another,
that is why I love it here so much! WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER! Right My Porchies? One day I'm the needy person, one day you're
the needy person...and we all need to be needed and helped and encouraged.

Well, I guess I better get something done around here before I find it is night time and I have whittled away the
hours just gabbing and laughing with ya all.

blessings,
peg

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  1:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Peggy~ You are soooo right! Not to sound sappy but we are all sisters here and it is so wonderful to be a part of this community! When I went to interview for this job I was getting nervous but I could hear all of your voices in my head telling me to go for it! You'll never know how much that mattered to me. I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart.

I couldn't resist sharing a picture of my DD, Sara Jane and her best buddy, Josie. She has been resting and drinking lots of water. I try to keep her out of the heat and in the air conditioning. But she is 20 and has a mind of her own (she comes by it honestly)!

I have been in my classroom a couple of hours for the last couple of days. DD came with me today and we cleaned and decluttered! Whew! It was hard work but it felt so good! I'm going to go in for a few hours early in the am tomorrow - before it gets too hot.

Well I am going to do a little more research on Promethean Board activities but I'll check back later!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  1:44:07 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, yes I did get your check. Thank you so much! I'm taking everyone's advise and being a bit cool to the date guy. Not being rude.. just unavailable. Hopeing that way he gets the message. I know I'll see him around school so don't want it to be too awkward.

I have so much sewing to do... not feeling it today. Had to use some of my dwindling savings to order more supplies for the purses I make. At least it was wholesale and not retail.

Anyway, hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  2:11:37 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies. Just sitting and relaxing now. I took DD to get a few more school clothes and I needed a new planner. DD's new teacher called today and we will meet at the orientation on Thursday. She sounds very nice and about 12 years old. I know I must be old because of all the "youngsters" that are teachers now. DD and I will be working on some workbooks to get her into school mode. Frankly, I'm ready to write this summer off and get to some fall weather.

Melanie- I just wanted to say I think it's admirable that you and your fiance have never spent an unmarried night together. I think you are setting a very good example for your children. Only you, your fiance, and children know if this is the right thing. I think if everyone is excited about it then you have no worries.

Well, I'm off for awhile to work on my blanket.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  4:08:47 PM  Show Profile
Bunny - Sorry about the job situation. Hopefully something better will come your way. Collages do have work study that you can request/apply for to help pay your tuition or live on. I had two jobs one year for a while. One I helped a counselor organize pamphlets and stuff which I ended up dropping because I didn't have time and the other one I was asked to give a copy of my class notes to a dyslexic student. It was a great job as I got paid to take my own notes and all I had to do was give a duplicate copy to the guy.

Thankfully the heatwave seems to have taken a break. Unfortunately it's as muggy or worse. I developed a migraine yesterday with the approaching thunderstorms and still have it tonight.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to get 19 yo to keep his room clean? We've been having continual problems with this. We were missing a ton of glasses, bowls and plates so df asked me to go into my son's room last night to get them so he could load the dishwasher. The mess I found was unbelievable. There were 2 pint containers half full of chocolate milk that were rancid and the containers were pulging like they were ready to explode. If he's not at work he's in his room on his computer. I'm ready to take a 2 x 4 to his head. He's at work by the time we get home and is just going to bed when we get up. It makes it hard to control the situation when we're not here.

Well, need to figure out what's for supper. I'll try to get back on tomorrow and catch up with everybody. Have a great night.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  7:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Tammy,
That is a tough one, but I would start with a loving notice posted to his door. "SON, WE NEED TO TALK!"
When you can sit down, state your expectations with love, and allow him to come up with a solution.
Emphasize the benefits of cleanliness and organization.

Maybe a long shot. Or you could rent a HAZ-MAT suit and scare the bejeebers out of him in the middle of the night!

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  8:20:10 PM  Show Profile
I hope everyone had good Tuesdays!
Linda, I'm glad that you had a good time at the wedding! Family weddings are always so much fun!
Penny, I think it's fun when you get unexpected company! It's nice to chat and catch up.
Staci, I will shoot you an email with my address!
Mel, I wish my grandparents lived on a farm! My grandma actually grew up on a farm, but she decided that nursing was where it was for her.
Peggy, it wouldn't so bad if we could all spend the day talking and chatting away
Julie, I'm getting a little tired of the summer weather too. But then in a few months I'll be wishing for the warm again, so I guess you can't have it both ways, as my science teacher used to say!
RFM Tammy, I'm sending cool weather vibes your way!
Tracy, good suggestion! That would certainly scare me into cleaning my room
Today was another day at my grandparents' office, but tomorrow I'm going to the zoo (yes, the zoo!) with my uncle, so I finally get to see him, which is a definite yay! I hope all of you have wonderful Wednesdays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  10:57:10 AM  Show Profile
Tracy~ A Hazmat suit!!! I was laughing reading that. It is priceless!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  12:39:50 PM  Show Profile
I am home with bronchitis that won't go away, I decided to take tomorrow off from work too. Hopefully. that will do the trick. So, I get to rest with my laptop and visit with my favorite ladies!

Megan, I hope your zoo trip is a blast!
Tammy, is your migraine headache better?
Elaine, glad I can bring laughter, esp. when my advice is useless. Heh.

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  2:29:07 PM  Show Profile
Tracy...the Haz-Mat Suit was hysterical but remember the suit is only for the protection of Tammy (the wearer).;+)
Most kids are are going to think it is just "way cool mom . . .you rock!" But motivate them to clean their room...I doubt it. :+) I raised 3 boys ...all hadrooms that looked so bad that you couldn't find the floors or them...when you opened the doors. I finally gave up at yelling, coersing, threatening, bribing etc. and just shut the door on their mess...BUT the first time they wanted or
needed something (and don't they always)...I would say, "Sure as soon as you clean your room up!" Worked every time!...
Hey mom can I go to the movies? Yup, if you clean your room first. Hey, mom can I have some money to go the mall with Jake? Yup, as soon as you clean your room. Hey, mom can I borrow the car to pick up Susi? Yup, after you clean that room up. Amazing what they can do when they are "SELF" motivated....lol

I had another friend who did just the opposite of me. She waited for her daughter to go to school...then she cleared out
her entire room leaving only a mattress on the floor with no sheets and she EVEN took the door off. All the girls stuff
went in to a storage room under lock and key. And the girl had to earn everything back one piece at a time...starting
with her pillow and then her sheets etc. You get the picture. Then as she earned the stuff back, the room had to stay clean
or else what she earned back was stripped back down to the mattress on the floor and she had to start all over again. I
must say that I thought it rather harsh but for this girl it worked. You got to be creative and one step ahead of your
teenager at all times. LOL

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  6:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Tracy- get some good rest. Bronchitis takes weeks to get over completely. I'm not sure of home cures but maybe some steam would help.

Today I went to the library to get a book on learning how to quilt. Haha..remember I said I had dreamed of the quilt I wanted to make? Well, I guess I better learn how to quilt in the first place. I bought a fabric bundle for probably too much money, but it saved me the time in picking coordinating fabrics. I got all the pieces cut out and will start sewing it together tomorrow. This is just a beginner piece.

I looked up the quilt I have from my Granny. It's a Dresden Plate pattern. It's getting very worn and I need to get my quilt going so I can properly take care of the old quilt.

Of course I couldn't resist picking up more yarn. I'm going to go look for a wash cloth pattern.

Megan- enjoy the zoo. It doesn't get really cold down here so I will be happy with anything below 90.

Tammy- I'm more of the drastic approach to cleaning rooms, especially if there's been many warnings. It's not a good thing to see me walking around the house with a black Hefty bag. It means anything that isn't nailed down goes in the bag. DD gets told everyday if there's any toys left out after she goes to bed they are going into the outside garbage can. Maybe your son could use a different organization system than what he has now, since it doesn't seem to be working. IKEA has lots of solutions for living in small spaces.

Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  7:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Every child to needs different lessons, Tammy will know what is best for her son.
She could remind him that if he were on his own, he would be evicted from his apartment if the landlord found the property in poor condition. Why should he be allowed to treat his mother's house like that?

I had a good nap this afternoon, but still don't feel so hot. I am definitely staying home tomorrow.

Julie, good luck with that quilt!

C. S. Lewis

Edited by - Bushel n Peck on Aug 10 2011 7:04:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  10:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi sisters!
Tracy, I hope you feel better soon!
Julie, I wish it was warm all-year round where I live! And I hope that your quilt goes well!
Peggy, that's good motivation for me to keep my room clean! One day I might come home from school and it'll be all gone! That's a good idea, though!
So today I was not able to go to the zoo:( But I was able to see my two uncles! We all went out to dinner, and then we went to go get ice cream at one of the places that my Mom used to go to when she was my age. My grandma told one of the owners "This is Michelle's daughter," and he was just awe struck! It was nice to visit. But tomorrow I go home:( My train leaves at 11 in the morning, so I'll be home. But it was a nice visit. I hope everyone has cheerful Thursdays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  10:33:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!

Julie, good for you on the quilting. Start with something easy. Matching the seams is a biggie if you want things to come out. Alex Anderson has a good book on beginning quilting, called "Start Quilting" and it's not very expensive. I would suggest checking in with your local quilt shop and see if they have it. (She is a good friend of mine.) I would hold off on the dresden plate quilt for a while. If you need any pointers let me know. I teach quilting among other things.
Here are my basic rules of thumb. 1. cutting straight is important 2. Iron everything after sewing. 3. Matching seams are important. 4. Start with something small. Good luck!

Tammy, maybe you and your son should watch a few "horder" shows. Maybe that will give him a heads up when he sees how bad it can get.

Well I registered for my classes today. If my financial aide money comes through in time, I'll be set. I also went to the sewing machine shop I teach at, and she signed me up to teach 10 more classes between September and November. I might even get to work a few days here and there. One of the ladies is going to be gone quite a bit and she might hire me part time to fill in.

Anyway, it's late. Off to bed for me.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  12:00:32 AM  Show Profile
Tracy...hope that Bronchitis goes away soon. When I lived at home and both of my parents smoked, all three of us kids would come
down with Chronic Bronchitis every year. After moving out on my own when I graduated...I never got it again. Isn't that weird?
I never would have connected to being around second hand smoke until my doctor told me to never smoke because I would keep getting
bronchitis. I guess if you live in really smoggy areas...it can cause it too.~ Anyway, I remember how badly I felt when I had it
so I am sending up prayers for you. Hope it doesn't last long.

Bunny...that is neat about your classes at the Sewin Machine store! And Congratulations on signing up for those classes. So Proud of You!

Julie...good luck on your quilting project. You Go Girl! Bunny will be a great help if you get in a pickle. Her work is Stellar!

Megan...well I am glad that you got to see your Uncles...even if you didn't make it to the zoo. Hope you have a nice train trip home.
It has been fun sharing your trip to your Grandparents with you!

Off to read and relax. I spent all evening sorting my growing button collection into colors. My jars of pinks, reds, blues, whites,
purples...all look as pretty as canned fruit. Eye Candy for sure! It will now be much easier when I need to grab a certain color for
a project. Like my Heart Shapped Yo-Yo's. I have them all made...now just have to add the buttons.

Sweet Dreams,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  3:11:33 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies~

It's been busy, busy, busy around here. It's so nice to sit on the porch and have a cold glass of lemonade!

Peggy~ I think you and I are a lot alike. I just recently sorted out all my buttons into colors. I love how they look inside the glass jars. I also did the same thing with my yo-yos. Thank you so much for introducing me to the yo-yo swaps - it is addicting - you can't just make one.

Megan~ Wow your visit went so quickly! It sounds like you had a great time. Being able to visit with family is a blessing.

Julie~ I recently started quilting also. I checked many books out of the library and went to a lot of sites on the web. I started small also. Bunny gave the best advice.

Bunny~ That is so great about the sewing classes. You must be an excellent teacher. Maybe you should tape yourself and make a "webinar". I am so happy that you signed up for the classes.

Tracy~ I hope you feel better. Bronchitis can really wipe you out. If your antibiotic isn't working it can morph into walking pneumonia. Just keep an eye on it and if doesn't get better call your doctor.

Tammy~ Best of luck with your son and his room.

Well I spent another productive day at school. DD and I laminated everything I had bought and made for this year. She was such a help -cutting things out while I was papering the boards. But now we are tired. Bone tired. A good kind of tired. I think I am going to take a walk in the garden and see how the tomatoes are coming along. Have a peaceful evening!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  8:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies. A priviledge to meet you all.

Loved the Hasmat comment!

Drove an hour and a half today so that my children could spend 25 minutes in the water for their swim lessons. Got home and did the laundry, froze some swiss chard and made supper, did night time chores and soon I'll be getting the rugrats into bed. Now I'm just learning how to navigate this forum and meeting all of you!
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  9:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies. Hi lieberkim. Nice to meet you.

Well, girls I started sewing my first quilt project. Don't you know the seams weren't matching so I had to take all the stitches out. Drat! Never fear, it's nothing that a staple gun and a little super glue can't fix. Actually, the second time around I was a little smarter and sewed a little bit by hand to get the seams to match and then machine sewed it. I'm done with the top. I'll have to read further in the book now to learn about the batting and backing. DH says it's very cute and we definitely have to hang it up since it's my first piece.

The other thing I worked on today was cleaning my craft hallway. It was necessary to be able to get to the sewing machine When it was cleaned up I took some photos and I'm planning on writing a long post about that remodel job.

Elaine & Peggy- I have my buttons in jars, too. I love the sound they make when you drop one it.

Bunny- Thanks for the great advice. Believe it or not, in a town full of college kids, there's no quilt shop. There used to be one but they moved to the next town so it's really out of the way. We also don't have a yarn shop except for Hobby Lobby and Walmart. I don't plan on making a Dresden Plate quilt. I'm not all that fond of the pattern. I was just researching the quilt my Granny left me. The pattern is from the 20's and 30's but I think it would have been made later because of the prints on the fabrics used. They are almost all plaid and stripes. I can say that quilting is making me want to cut up all my old clothes into little bitty pieces.

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  9:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
It is nice to meet you (L) Kimberly. Welcome. You will love it here. I've been here a few weeks now and can't wait to come back everyday to sit and chat. If you have any questions just ask, the ladies here will be happy to answer them for you or and me to..hehe...

Elaine, sounds like you are just about ready for the school year to start...have fun.

Well, guess I will get back to working on my yoyo's. I don't want to get behind since this is my first swap. I am getting better with everyone I make...and it has become fun...See everyone tomorrow I hope. Suppose to meet a girlfriend for lunch. She lives 2 hours away so we are going to ride our motorcycles and meet in the middle. I haven't ridden much this summer because of the heat but think it is suppose to be 5 degrees cooler tomorrow...ha ha...Hope everyone has a great Friday.

FarmDream, good luck with your quilt. I started on years ago..and it got packed up when I moved..then I started working 12 hours a day and never finished it. I just found it the other day when I was unpacking stuff from my last moved after I got married 2 yrs ago. Still have everything for it already cut out. Hope to finish one day... :)

Peggy, My Momma had a lot of old buttons in her sewing room before she died. When I get to go back to her house(which my sister, brother and me still own) I am going to get them. She love her botton, some are very old. I had to buy botton to be able to do my yo yo's..lol...Some maybe alittle to big but oooppps, they will just have to do this time. My yoyo's are getting easier and better looking with each one. Thank you again.

Bunny, I bet you are excited about school, I'm sure you will do great and congrats on the part-time job..isn't it great to be able to make money at something you enjoy doing?

Megan, I hope you made it home safely...I'm glad you had a great visit with your Grandparents

Tracy, I hope you feel better very soon...take it easy.

Tammy, good luck with your 19 yr old...that is a tough one.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page