Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  10:17:57 PM  Show Profile
Luanne- Welcome home. Glad you made it safely.

Hi Penny- glad to see you here.

Waves to Judy

Peggy- I asked my new friend if she would like to go see The Help when it's out. I'm looking forward to it. I make a laundry soap recipe I found online. It's a pretty basic liquid recipe that I cook on the stove. I add lemon essential oil or lavender if it's a special order. Someone asked me the other day how much did I think I had sold so far. I said easily 500 gallons. It's a good product for getting return customers. I also offer a discount if they bring me the old bottle back. Saves it from going in the landfill and keeps my costs down. For cleaning the house, I don't know why but it has always worked this way. Everyone gets the idea that we can have fun sooner if the house is cleaned quicker. My DH also likes cleaning so that helps.

Megan- Sophomore year. Wow, that's when you learn to drive. I had my first long term boyfriend that year.

Kimberly- That's great about the swimming lessons. I read somewhere that there's a correlation between higher education and having had swimming lessons as a child.

Cherime- Thank God you got your heater working. I didn't understand a word you were writing about it. Thankfully we are all electric in this house and I don't have to worry about gas.

Angela- Congratulations on all your cleaning up.

Deborah- If we had a day of 90 degrees we'd probably put our sweaters on!

I'm on the final bit of hand quilting before the binding. I'm going to drive out to the quilt shop and I may never come out I will post pics when it is done. I did find some videos on youtube that are helping.

I've stayed up too late so time for this girl to go to bed.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  11:33:34 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening all My Beautiful Porchies...Hugs to you all. Not going to try to comment to each of you as I am Mentally and emotionally
drained. Made the decision today not to go to Spokane Monday. My mother is so negative, she needs to be on an anti-depressant(because she is depressed and mad at the whole world) she is totally narcistic and even though I am almost 60 yrs old she still treats me and my sister like we are five. And everything has to be her
way or no way. Yesterday after I talked to her...I had to take an anxiety pill...to calm down. Just for an example last summer when I was there I told her I needed to go lay down and take a nap because of my Chronic Fatigue. After an hour she came in and woke me up and said,"You've slept long enough you need to get up." I said, Mom, my body tells me when I have rested long enough...please don't wake me up again." So, she started in on similar stuff when I talked to her yesterday. She said, Don't think you are going to come here and stay up half the night, and then sleep all morning because you aren't. My mother goes to bed at 9:00 and gets up at five. That was the mild part of the conversation...I can't or won't go into all
the other comments...let's just say She is a Total Control Freak and I am finally tired of being controled. When I was younger...my faith
helped me let all her comments just roll off my back and I wouldn't let her get to me. But ever since I came down with the Fibro and chronic fatigue etc...I just don't have the patience or will power to put up with her "STUFF" any more. I have enough of my own stuff to deal with and I don't need her guilt or baggage dumbed on my lawn anymore. She is so toxic! But PTL - God provided me the perfect out on making the trip...our Vet where we kennel our dogs when we need to make a trip...are filled up for the rest of the summer. I could kiss God and my Vet! I called my mother tonight and told her I wasn't coming. She didn't seem particularly upset and I am profoundly releived! BUT trust me...she will hold this against me anyway.

More tomorrow girls. Love and Hugs,
Peg

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 16 2011 11:40:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  07:20:27 AM  Show Profile
Peg - I was diagnosed with Epstein Barr when I was 17 so I completely understand how you feel with chronic fatigue. Take care of yourself and ignore anyone who tries to tell you how much rest you need. If you have chronic fatigue you need a lot of rest, take it.

Cherime - I tip my hat to you. There is no way I could fix any appliance. If it's broken and my husband isn't available to fix it..... it's just going to sit there. Tools and I are not on a friendly basis and I'd probably just make it worse. Always impressed by ladies who can fix stuff!

Megan - Nikole is a little girly girl, but you wouldn't believe it when you see her playing in the dirt or playing pirate or cowboy with her brother!!! I love it. Seeing my children young, healthy and enjoying life is a huge blessing. I'm glad to hear you are being careful with your knee. An injury that isn't allowed to heal properly will haunt you the rest of your life.

Darlys - Welcome! You'll find the ladies on the porch so warm and welcoming. I'm new too but have felt so accepted and cared for.

Elaine - Your house is going to be so nice, sounds like you're doing a complete overhaul. I'd love to see pictures when everything is done.

Thank you to all those concerned about my back. I'm so used to it hurting now after 10 years that I hardly think about it. The muscle spasms catch my attention though!!! But truly I am blessed to be alive and walking so I try to look at it from that point of view because if I had been in anything smaller than the one ton dually I was in........

Ice cream social was a blast. Ladies all loved my homemade chocolate ice cream and were shocked when I told them it was made from goats milk!!! One of the first things out of my husband's mouth when I got home was, "Is there any ice cream left??" He had some and declared that this batch was even better than the last so I'm glad that the ladies got some "good" stuff. We had a water painting session at the ice cream social and I proved yet again that I am NOT an artist. The ladies seemed to appreciate the food I brought for everyone. I went gleaning in the onion field the night before and took bags of onions for everyone and my zucchini is hyper active so I brought some of that too. Most everyone left with a bag of produce. I heard lots of talk about dehydrating some onion. All in all it was a lovely evening and I enjoyed myself tremendously.

So now I need to get out and do my chores and get the children ready for swim lessons.

Blessings to all

Kimberly

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

SRhea
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sue
San Angelo TX
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile
I would love to join in. Sitting on the porch getting to know all of you ladies enjoying the goodies and tea sounds wonderful. I don't have anything baked but can bring my crochet. See ya shortly.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  08:25:09 AM  Show Profile
Believe me ladies I had never done that before. I had watched my DH do that before he died and I just did what I recalled him doing. I sure could not afford another $300 for the guy to come and take a look and then do what I did. As my Daddy always said "if it's broke you can't brake it any further."
Sounds like we were all busy these last few days. Up here it is the last push before it gets too cold to do much outside. No snow that sticks on the peaks yet but we all know its coming.
Carrot cake with lots of lovely icing and fresh hot tea! Yipee!

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  08:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sue, Come sit down and enjoy...sometimes we bring things we are working on with us when we visit....you are welcome to come join any time. I haven't been here all that long but long enough to tell you that you won't find a nicer place or nicer ladies.

Peggy, I am so sorry that you have to go through that with your Mom, I know it must be hard to have your Mom treat you that way. I wish everyone could have a Mom like I did. I was so blessed. I miss my Mom everyday. She was so "REAL" she understood us...meaning she said there wasn't anything we did that would shock her because she prob. already did it. She was really one of a kind. loved by all that met her. She died in 06 from COPD. It was hard to watch her suffer the way she did. I'm glad that you aren't putting yourself through the hurt and pain of being around her...God is good.

FarmDream, I make powdered laundry soap. I thought about the making the liquid but guess I was a little lazy. I love the way it cleans and like knowing what is in it.

Kimberly, It sounds like the ice cream social was so much fun...glad you had a great time.

I'm off to get a padded envelope to mail some water and milk kefir out to another Farmgirl. Hope everyone has a great day

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  08:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Cherime, My DH says that is one of the things he loves about me is that I will take matters into my own hads and fix things or at least try to. I love what your Dad said..so profound...Oh I love carrot cake...yummy. Thanks

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  09:10:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Yes Peggy, I've been in the basement most of the week. I finished a t-shirt quilt for a local basketball coach. I'm working on finishing a quilt I designed and still have to write the pattern. It took me 3 days to decide on the border. Still not totally happy, but I need to move on. Then I'm making a vest for a class I'm teaching in the fall. Monday, I teach my last kids sewing class. I have 5 signed up. It's going to be a big week. They are making pj bottoms. Not sure where I'm going to put everyone.. but it is much needed money. My mom scheduled herself for another shoulder surgery in early September. That means for 6 weeks I have to do everything. I told her I wouldn't bath her.. she needed someone else to do that. Note: she has not taken a bath or shower since I moved here in January. She "cleans up" with a washcloth. Ugggg! Anyway, my xboss called me Monday to tell me she put a check in the mail for me. I'm hoping it is for everything. She also wanted me to schedule a quilting class. Not many people sign up for classes at her shop so I figured it wouldn't hurt. But I did it for a week I knew she didn't work. I don't want to push it. Thankfully, (although it doesn't make since) she doesn't want the class money for the teacher to run through her books. So everyone writes a check out to the teacher. I'm not putting myself in a position for her to owe me money again that's for sure.

Love that we have new farm girls on our porch! Welcome Darlys and Sue!
I'm missing our Pam from Portland... hope you are doing ok. I guess I'll have to check her blog to see what she is up to.

Cherime, I laughed when you wrote your dad's saying.. not true at all, I have pushed many broken things past their broken point. But good for you on figuring out how to fix your heater. I think sometimes we just need courage to figure it out. I have learned that quite a few of you Alaska ladies are pretty resourceful. I think it comes with living up there. You guys are a hearty bunch.

Angela, sounds like you have been on a wonderful cleaning mode. I bet it feels good to get rid of so much stuff. I have to say when I was in the middle of packing and knowing I was going to have to leave my house, I got rid of lots of stuff I had been lugging around for years. It is very good feng shui to clean out the clutter.

Peggy, sorry you have such a strained relationship with your mom. I read long ago that fibro was common in emotionally abused women from childhood. My mom was terribly abusive when I was young. I was told that both my bi-polar and depression were probably a defense from that. I'm much better now. But I bet your fibro stems from that. At least you know enough to not get sucked in to her. I stayed away from my mom for over 30 years because of how negative she is. I'm starting to really call her on it now. She doesn't get it though. Hang in there. At least you are far enough away she can't just visit without notice.

Well, I really need to get to work. Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Elaine hang in there with all the dust. It will be over before you know it.
Megan, I'm so glad you are enjoying your summer. I love to hear your stories. I can picture me doing the same at your age.

Kimberly, so sorry you are not closer. I'm in The Dalles, just south west of you. But still a little to far for a fast visit. Where does your group meet?
Off to the basement...

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  09:12:00 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Sue...glad to have you! Yes, bring your crocheting, I've got my knitting and we can all have a gab-fest! The
Porch is the most lovely place to be...plenty of Porch Swings, Rockers, hammocks, the railing and the steps to sit on...so there
is always room for one more. Just come often and stay as long as you like. The virtual food we share is calorie free
and there is always water for tea or pots of coffee. So, kick of your boots and sit a spell.

Cherime...most of us wouldn't have even had the guts to try girlfriend! So we are all giving you kudos!

Kimberly...did you bring some of that home-made chocolate ice-cream to The Porch??? If you did...I missed it,
so could you bring some more. You must know by now...I am Chocolate addicted! ~ I am glad that you had a nice
outing last night. Sounds like you were a blessing to all those ladies with your free veggies. ~ So what if
you can't water color. I bet if you keep attending you will be able to do that which seems impossible now. ~ Kimberly
what is Epstein Barr...I don't think I have heard of that.

Ok...Julie and Penny, can one of you share your laundry soap recipe with us? Or tell us where to get it on-line?

Elaine...your house is going to seem brand new when you get it all finished. How lovely! New house, new Job,...
things are going your way girlfriend. I couldn't be happier for you! I agree...you must post some pics.

Well my dogs got me up early, I took them out, ate breakfast and started working on a Piece of Mail-Art for Mel's
friend who has cancer. While the front side dries...I think I will put on my walking shoes and hit the road for
my long walk today. I think I might leave my dogs and home and go by myself. I can walk faster that way.

Well have a great day My Porchies and I will check in with you later.

Miles of Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  09:32:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bunny...we must have been posting at the same time. ~ I think you may be right about having toxic parents affect your
health. At least I know my sister attributes her bad health to mom ... and she blames mom for sending dad to an
early grave. I don't wish to give mom more credit than she deserves though. lol It is really up to each of us to learn
our own boundaries and in force them and not let others toxic waste poison our life giving water source. ~ I have told
Deb (my sis) for years...that her unforgiveness towards Mother was like Deb drinking a bottle of poison and waiting for
Mother to die. It only kills you! ~ My Mother is 78 and she isn't going to change. She is who she is...and when I can
deal with her I do and when I can't I don't. But the cool thing for me this time is how God intervened on my behalf...because
I had already told Deb that I was coming despite mom and I was going to have a good attitude even if mom wasn't. BUT in all
truthfulness I was not looking forward to this trip at all for many reasons. So, I give God all the credit...he took the
decision out of my hands and I am so thankful! ~ I totally know that you can relate Bunny with your own Mom. I have a couple
of other friends who have Narcistic Mothers too and so we all kind of support one another or commiserate with each other/how
ever you want to look at it. LOL ~ Oh, our Pam has been swamped with busyness...I emailed her the other day and told her that
I (we) all missed her.

Hey Porchies...please keep Darlene in your prayers this week. She has her breast cancer surgery next Tuesday the 23rd. Don't
forget to send her a card or letter or mail-art or any little thing to encourage her. She has been through a lot and has both
chemo and radiation treatments yet to come.

OK...now, I really am going on my walk....

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 17 2011 10:19:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  09:35:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Peggy, Here are some links and my recipe...I have it in my notes on my facebook page so I just copy and pasted it for ya'll...hope you like it as much as I do. The links I have also have the liquid too.

I use the powder one ...but after reading so many on the web I decided to use 1 bar of soap 6 cups of washing soap and 3 cups of borax...can't remember which recipe that one came from but it works good, oh also I saw somewhere where a lady added SUN OXYGEN cleaner which is like oxiclean...but so much cheaper..I found it at Family Dollar and found the washing soda and borax at walmart and the Zote soap at Bi-lo....hope you like it... I used 4 scopes of the sun oxygen..

Depending on your water you never have to use more than 2 tbs. Good for all washers. I have hard well water and use 1 tbs and it works great.

Oh and to make it so easy to make in 5 min....I used my food processor. I put in about a cup of borax in then cut the soap into small squares and put in and pulsed it...the added all other stuff in another container and stirred it all up very well.

The Washing soap is made by Arm and Hammer
The Borax is made by 20 Mule Team

Click on the links or copy and paste below to read more about homemade laundry detergent, powder and liquid

http://unworker.blogspot.com/2011/03/quick-and-easy-homemade-laundry.html

http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Laundry-Detergent/

http://www.diynatural.com/simple-easy-fast-effective-jabs-homemade-laundry-detergent/

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Aug 17 2011 09:42:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  09:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Porchies: Here is Darlene's Address:

DARLENE RIBOLDI
141 STERLING VALLEY RD.
KUNKLETOWN, PA 18058

Bless You All,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  10:00:03 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad I happened by. I am reading as many posts as I can and can hardly wait to get into the "swing" on the porch. Made BLTs and chocolate chip cookies for dinner last night. Doesn't that sound healthy!

Peg, may God forever bless you in finding your way past the toxicity that you've had to fend off. And you do it with such grace. The more I know of you, the more I admire you.

Right now I'm off to SFO to pick up a grandson returning from a summer in Bejing. Then I have a date with the chiropractor as I can barely turn my head. My neck is just so cranky.

MJF is addictive!

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  10:06:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I did mean to say, before I leave ... See you in the bookcase again soon, Megan, and big hugs to all the sisters "over 50." I'm looking forward to getting to know more farmgals as we go forward.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Aug 17 2011 10:07:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  11:14:10 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, be thankful you don't have to live with your mom.. Mine is DRIVING ME CRAZY! She complained that the sprinker didn't go on this morning. It did on Monday. I told her that was strange because I didn't do anything else to it. She said.. "I did". She unplugged one of the wires to one of the sections. I told her.. that must have been it. She started to argue with me that it didn't matter. And... that's why the sprinklers worked or didn't work this morning. Then she told me that she shouldn't be using them anyway because after having them fixed by the plummer she hadn't had them inspected. Of course I'm hearing this now. So I told her no problem. I'll unplug everything and next month when the inspector comes... she can go back to watering a dead lawn...Some days I feel like a prisoner here. I wish I could find a way out. But I don't see me moving for at least 2 years. So stressed today. She never goes out so I'm stuck with her.

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  1:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Going to make Hubby some jalapeno cheddar artisan bread in a bit. Letting the flour warm up, I keep it in the freezer stays fresh longer..but flour doesn't last long around here with the homemade bread I'm always baking. This is the one time I'm glad to have an outdoor kitchen so I don't heat up the house when I am baking...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  3:34:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,
I am feeling better after 2 rounds of antibiotics to kick the bronchitis. Thank you for your prayers and good wishes!
I started to feel OK last weekend and was going to post, but then the cherries were ready for canning! The next time I got on-line, the power went out. D'oh! Yesterday I had a bee in my bonnet and decided to start painting the chicken coop while the weather is cooperative. Tonight the peaches I bought are ready to can. I will have to sit for quite awhile to read up on what's been happening on the porch.
Love to you all!

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Edited by - Bushel n Peck on Aug 17 2011 3:36:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  3:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh my ladies! I'm sorry so many of you have issues with your mothers...my mother is awesome, for the most part :).

Tomorrow my patio door is going to get fixed (yay!) so maybe the screen door will close properly & I won't have a million disgusting nasty flies flying around or moths coming in at night time - shudder. So that means tonight I'm tidying up (thankfully it's not that messy/dirty - just have to put a few things away & vacuum) & doing dishes. I despise dishes.

This week is "water week" with the kids & I think they are having a pretty good time :). Some of them were a little cranky today, but when they don't go to bed at a decent time, it's to be expected. And also when they never get told "no" doesn't help either. Two more days this week, then next week & I am on holidays - woohoo! I'm excited :). Just going to go camping for a few days to get away from it all & relax....

Thanks Penny for the links to homemade laundry soap - can't wait to try it! May have to give some to my mom too - her water is terribly hard & rusty (how many more minerals can you get in your system?? lol) & doesn't get any stains out ever, regardless of what you use or how often you use it or when you use it.

Ok, I think I'm going to go clean up before I get really lazy then feel bad tomorrow when I have strangers coming in my apartment....

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  5:56:05 PM  Show Profile

Mel...here are some pictures of the Mail-Art I did for your friend Pat.
I will be sending it out tomorrow. Wanted to remind her that she is Beautiful
no matter what and then remind her of the words "What Cancer Can Not Do"

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  6:34:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies. Thanks for posting Darlene's address. I went to the quilt shop in the next town and drooled all over everything. I got information about classes. Not much, they don't have a fall schedule up. I think I will write and ask for a morning class. Their other classes go till 4 pm but I have to be home for DD's bus by 3:30. They told me about another quilt shop in town so there may be classes there too. I did buy some fabric and started a half apron. Their fabrics are so much prettier than what I'm used to seeing. I will post a pic but I need to attach the straps before it's done. It's going into my stock of things to sell.

I read a blog quite awhile back for the laundry soap recipe. The recipe I use is in 4 gallon quantities but you can halve it or quarter it to meet your needs. I use 1 cup zote soap, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup borax, 1 bottle lemon essential oil, 4 gallons of water. The washing soda is made by Arm & Hammer but should not be confused with Baking Soda. I get a big pot and heat enough water to dissolve the dry ingredients, about 12 cups water. It's ok if it boils some, but remember when adding the washing soda it's causing a chemical reaction that causes it to boil more for a few moments. I've had a few boil overs so watch your pot. Once it's all dissolved pour into a container with the rest of the water. I use a 5 gallon paint bucket.(about $3 at the hardware store) I add the essential oil and then put the lid on. Let it sit over night. Give it a good stir the next day and it's ready. It has an egg drop soup consistency. Use 1/2-1 cup per load. It works in high efficiency washers and doesn't harm septic systems. The reason for the consistency is because there's no chemical emulsifiers or stabilizers. I've also done the math and believe the per load cost is around 1 penny per load, without the essential oil. I timed it to see how long it takes to make. It took me 18 minutes. People love buying it because I price it a little below the well known commercial natural laundry soaps. I don't make a lot money off it but people keep coming back for it and they try other things. My motto is: What's the use of getting people to go all natural if they can't afford it. I also make candles and lip balm if you have questions. Gift season is coming.

I feel for everyone with mother problems. My mother made ugly afghans and passed away when I was 13. But she was a good mom. I have father issues instead. My DH has mother problems and suffered a lot of abuse from a stepdad while she looked the other way. He also has fibro and depression. He has just started seeking counseling recently. I can't say enough that a counselor is a lot cheaper than a psychiatrist/psychologist and most insurance covers it. My father on the other hand, who is the person most in need of counseling, will never go. He has all the stigmas about counseling and would see it as a loss of the micro-control he has over his life. It's sad because he's thrown away having a relationship with anyone in the family because of it.

(P.S. My 300th post!)
Julie

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com

Edited by - FarmDream on Aug 17 2011 6:37:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  7:39:52 PM  Show Profile
evening porchies
PEGGY thank you for darlenes address, and glad you can stay home and chill..LOL
SUE welcome to the porch
JULIE i wish there was a quilt shop around here..or even a fabric shop.i have to order online and hope it feels nice. i love looking and touching fabric...
TRACY glad to here your feeling better..
well today was just wonderful sunny and 90 and my sinus was at its worse dizzy and sick to my stomach
my head fell like it was in a vice..so i went and had an aromatherapy massage and wow do i feel like good
it was that or drs. & meds??? LOL yesterday i weeds or should i say made a good attempt at my garden
i did half but they grow faster then i can weed i swear they were growing back as i was weeding...lol
i kept thinking about a story i read about a woman who bought homes and redid them to resell, one house she finished and started on the gardens she was weeding in a overgrown rose garden and got entangled and well she never got out alive.. i know morbid but its what i was thinking as i was crawling around in my garden..weird i know..but it just popped into my head...LOL

well porchies prayers for all in need
blessings and goodnight deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  8:23:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone:)
Deb, I'm glad you got to spend time with your niece before college starts for her. And an aromatherapy massage sounds nice!
Penny, that jalapeno bread sounds yummy! Next summer I think I want to learn how to cook/bake/make jams and preserves. Being a farmgirl has inspired me!
Kimberly, it seems like you have a fun little family:)
Sue, welcome to the porch! I'm sure you'll love it here as much as everyone else here!
Bunny, I hope that your class goes well! And I'm sorry about your situation with your Mom. I'll be praying for you (((HUGS)))
Peggy, sorry to hear that you have issues with your Mom as well. I think of some of my friends and their moms, and I thank God everyday for the relationship I have with my Mom.
Tracy, I'm glad you're feeling better!
Also, for any new porchies (which I know we have a lot of:), if you want to be on our birthday list, please email me with your address and birthday! Thanks:)
More rugby today! Then afterwards I visited my cousins. My cousin who had his adnoids and tonsils removed last week had to go back in for a surgery. He was puking up blood last night (more than normal), and my poor aunt and uncle rushed him to the hospital. He had to have surgery right away to fix the clots (I don't want to put any medical terms out there because I don't exactly remember what my aunt said!). But he's back home now, and my other cousins are going crazy sitting in the house, so I'm going to take them somewhere tomorrow. I don't know where, but we'll go somewhere! I hope everyone has safe Thursdays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  8:47:45 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I'm glad you found the quilt shop. I had one for 9 years before the economy took me out of the game. Quilt shop fabric is much better quality than Joann's or Walmart. To bad I'm not closer.. I could teach you anything you want to learn. Make sure the class you take is for beginners. Sometimes the ladies in the shop aren't very good at understanding that. Do you use a rotary cutter and self healing mat? We don't use scissors much any more.

Your laundry soap sounds wonderful. But I have a feeling getting my mom to use it would be more work than worth. She is scared of anything she doesn't understand. I would have to explain all the ingredients... etc.

Almost got the vest done for a class this fall. I thought up 2 more quilt designs to do.. wish I had energy to just sew all day and into the night. I poop out about 4 or 5:00pm.

Off to read until I go sleepy eyed...

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  12:41:52 AM  Show Profile
Good evening/morning whatever it is now! Can't tell you how much I enjoy visiting with all of you. Does my heart good.

Bunny - I'm actually hoping to come to the Dalles one of these days. They're supposed to have music in a park somewhere and I heard rumors of bluegrass.... I love bluegrass so I'm hoping to go to atleast one bluegrass festival. :) My group meets in different places but usually Kennewick or Prosser as most of the ladies are from these two places. We do have fun. And they are all so supportive and kind.

Peggy - Epstein Barr is a vicious virus. Mono, chronic fatigue and Epstein Barr are from the same family. None of them are fun. You're weak and tired and ache. I think everyone suffers in different ways. I don't recommend getting it!!! I had mono several times as a child and Epstein Barr at 17. I was able to kick it's but within a couple of years (which is pretty fast) because we took a very aggressive approach to fighting it through my ND. That and the fact that I'm a stubborn thing. :)

Thank you for opening the window into each of your lives. I feel like I already know you all and have friends all over!

Wish I could share my chocolate ice cream with you and wish I could try some of those tasty treats you've all been mentioning!

Rest well,

Kimberly

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  04:39:02 AM  Show Profile
Hello my lovely Porchies~ Well I got back into my house yesterday. Dust mopped all the walls, ceilings, polished up the furniture, moved the furniture back in from the garage, dusted, cleaned (did I mention dusting?) But by the time DH came home from work I was feeling nauseous from the smell (all the windows were open) so was DD. DH spent the night in the house and DD and I spent the night at my mom and dad's (about 5 minutes away). The are still up in Maine and will be back on Sunday. Going to try to head back into the house today to do some more cleaning. I sure do miss being home! I will post pictures. The floors sure do look pretty!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page