Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  06:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning

It is snowing again. It snowed all afternoon yesterday, but did not stick. Just made everything wet and cold. They are calling for rain this afternoon, so more wet and ick.

Pam how did your muffins turn out? They sounde really good. I made monster cookies for my DH yesterday.

Ruth Ann Praying for you. I am not a fan of needles but not afraid of them. My youngest DD is though. Never fun when you have to face things like that.

Tamy I am glad you are better today. I know what you mean about coffee tables collecting stuff. I think every flat surface in my house collects stuff. I had to do the whole clean thing yesterday. Not what I wanted to do on my day off, but it needed done.

Kimberly what an awesome complement. It is always nice to hear things like that. You did good sister.

The chickens are hollering so I had better check on them.
Have a great day everyone

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  06:48:49 AM  Show Profile
I was typing this, and all of a sudden it dissappeared!!!! We are getting a little bit of snow now, but not much expected. Sounds like everyone has been tired lately. Must be the weather.
Ruth Ann, hope your tests turn out good. Just don't look at the needles. They sound worse than they are. Tammy, hope you are feeling better today. Thanks for the yummy tea!!!!!
Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  06:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Today is FAT TUESDAY, so eat lots of junk food today!!!!!
Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  2:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank You Judy!

I got my tea today. I love the quote about tea and buns making things better. I'm doing some training to treat the sick babies at the hospital which is requiring me to read 75 pages every day this week. I'm keeping up on reading and I'll have time to write next week. Have a great week ladies!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  5:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Tea arrived today, Judy! Thank you, so much! The sweet poem and recipe for a Tea-for-Two Hat Box is just right! In fact I know just the person to fix up a hat box for. My SIL loves tea, and loves to go visiting. Thanks for sharing. I think after dishes are done I will try the Constant Comment..haven't had that in years. Oh, and the Spanish Proverb fits me to a tea..oops, I mean "T"

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  6:14:31 PM  Show Profile
Evening Porchies,
Hi! Today has a been good but busy. Went to the resale while for hubby to get done with his pt. They had clothes 4/1.00 picked up a few pieces of wool. I also scored a old metal bread box. We went to Meijer's to get a nice bag of cotton yarn. We wentlunch . Then off to get my EMG. Had the test and the dr. said looks like all is good. Stopped for ice cream on the way home. Since we been home I finished a couple dishclothes and started Katy's blanket I'm crocheting for her new apartment.
The mail finally came and I had a wonderful birthday card from Luanne. Thank You for thinking of me. I also have gotten the first of many tea swaps. Love my tea and the contents. Thank You so very much.
Well off to have a wonderful cup and then to bed as I have to work in the am.
Hope everyone has a great nite,
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  04:11:52 AM  Show Profile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi girls: I live in Staten Island, NY...I actually don't or never had a farm. I'm what you call a wanna be farmgirl (lol). My husband and I feel we are living in the wrong state, but our families live here and this is where we will die. But we take trips to Pennsylvania in Smoketown, or Intercourse (Lancanster) and just enjoy what that beautiful State has to offer. I congratulate all the hard work that goes into keeping a farm and I wish more people would appreciate what you all do. Keep farming so people like me can enjoy your fruits of labor. Didn't know where to post this but just wanted to show my appreciation. God Bless.

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  07:00:54 AM  Show Profile
Joan - Welcome to the porch! It's all about being a farmgirl at heart, not where we live. I live outside a HUGE metro city and even though I don't have a farm I do garden, can, make bread, make my own soap, etc. and try to be as self sufficient as I can be. Farming is awesome and they are some very hard working people - hopefully one day I'll be among the ranks otherwise my border collies are going to get upset with me for promising them some sheep to play with and not producing any LOL

Ruth Ann - Glad to hear your tests went well. I hate needles to so I can feel for you.

Janet - must of been some glitch because I typed up a note last night and it disappeared on me too. Frustrating isn't it LOL I made notes today before I started typing to ensure I remembered what I needed to post about :O)

Judy - tea arrived! I LOVED the card. So neat.

If anybody needs a cute idea for a little girl's birthday party Parisian Farmgirl just did a blog on her tinkerbell party for her daughter that cost her something like $114 total. Super cute. http://www.parisiennefarmgirl.com/ I absolutely love her blog.

The weather here has been insanely crazy. It was cloudy when I drove to work yesterday. One of the guys came in about 1.5 hours after I did and said it was snowing unbelievably. Went back to the conference room to see and there was 1.5 inches covering everything! By the time I got off work yesterday it was almost totally melted. Pouring rain last night. Thankfully the temps didn't dip as low as they thought so the roads weren't too bad at least around here. Unfortunately there was a jackknifed semi on the freeway coming to work today that made me 20 minutes late.

Last night I managed to know about 1.5 hours working in the computer room. Most of that was sorting papers off my desk. I also took a bunch of my mead making chemicals (citric acid, calcium carbonate, etc) that I have in a bookcase in that room and put them into various sized mason jars instead of leaving them in their plastic bags. They look much better. I need to get a some type of container to keep all that stuff in. I wasn't much into cooking last night so I made a frozen pizza that I got from Aldi's over the weekend. It was a deep dish sausage pizza - sort of like Uno's for those that have that chain. I think I paid like $3.99 for it. Thought I might get a complaint out of the man since he's been in a mood but he actually thought it was pretty good. It wasn't great but decent and much cheaper then running out for something for sure. I also was able to get some crocheting done on the afghan last night.

For my fellow bunny lovers this pic is for you!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  07:04:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Joan -

Welcome to the porch! I live in Northeast PA, but spend a lot of time in Smoketown and the Lancaster area as we have Amish friends in New Holland. We always stay at the Smoketown Motor Lodge on Rte. 896. Have you ever stayed there?

I will be there the weekend of March 9th to go to the Gordonville Mud Sale. My best friend and I go every year (leave the men at home) and just enjoy the shopping, food, and auction.

Hope you enjoy the porch as much as the rest of us do!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  07:14:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Luanne: A BIG YES TO SMOKETOWN MOTOR INN! My husband and I stay there sooo much that they know us and save us our favorite room. lol.
I'm not sure about going in March cause my daughter is having her first baby (first grandchild for me also) so I will be going with her to get an ultra sound (must be something new they do) I never had that but that was 32 yrs. ago lol.

Anyway I would love if one day we could meet up at Smoketown:

keep in touch

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  10:22:23 AM  Show Profile
Ruth, Glad things went well at the doctors.

Joan, it's not about where you live it's about who you are. I was raised in town by parents who had grown up in isolated areas so we gardened and canned etc. When I was in school the teachers wouldn't believe that I wasn't a country kid because I acted like one!! Now I'm blessed to live out of town and have livestock, it's what I've always wanted and I'm so glad to be doing it and raising my children this way. :)

Went to my first spinning group meeting. One lady was kind enough to let me try her spinning wheel and spin a little bit of her alpaca fiber. I'm in love. It takes a rhythm and I need a lot more practice aka I SUCKED but with practice I could do it. Oh it's just one of those things that relaxes you, the rhythm of it. And then knowing that you're spinning the fiber into a yarn to use for knitting or weaving etc. I so want to do this. I may also have a little in on a loom too. So then me and the children could start weaving and making things. Jackson was sure interested in it the last time he used one. So, yep I think I'm going to join the fiber guild and get going on this. :) And then you just KNOW I'm going to get the fiber animals too.... :P Hmmmmm angora goats, alpacas....... All part of my self sufficiency dream.

Husband left this morning for his trip. It was kind of funny at church one lady voiced concern, "Are you going to be alright way out there by yourself?" I chuckled until I realized she was serious! Her husband reassured her that I was fine and probably looking forward to it. I giggled, "When the cat is away the mice will play" I'm going to find some fun things for the kids and I to do and we're going to have a little holiday.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  10:26:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone
Judy Tea arrived! Yea! I love Constant Coment. I have not tried the Oolong so that will be fun. The card was great.

I have March. I have one tea picked out. Still tring to decide on the second.

Joan Welcome pull up a rocker and sit a spell. We love company on the porch.

I got so busy I forgot to tell everyone what Luanne sent me for winning her 1000 post give-away. I did email her. Any way I got a really wonderful knit hat and matching scarf. As predicted my oldest DD said it matched her coat and I said tuff they were mine!!! LOL There was a wonderful spiramint soap that I just love. A wonderful tea and coffe sample. My DH loved the coffee. I did not tell him it was girlfriend coffee. LOL A really cute note pad and an awesome braclet Again I had a DD (youngest this) time suggest it was more her style. Tuff this is all mine!!! Ok I shared the coffee with my DH.Any way thanks again Luanne for all of the really neat stuff.

Well it is back to work for me. Have a great day everyone.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  10:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone. Lots of reading to catch up on. Welcome to the new porch sisters.

Tammy, funny about the hat. I just ripped mine out and have to start over. I added way too many stitches. Not sure how it happened as I thought I was following the directions correctly. I plan on using markers for every row next time so I can back up if needed.
Sorry about your throat! What a terrible thing to wake up to. Sorry the man is being a pain. Nothing new huh. I hope someday you can find a way out on your own.

Ruth Ann, glad your test went well. I don't have a problem with needles but my older son turns white and just goes down. He can do body recoveries for search and rescue but don't come at him with a needle.

Joan, no biggie about not having a farm. It is a mentality more than where you live. We are all farmgirls at heart.

Had to get a new phone yesterday. I really couldn't afford it, but it is my lifeline as everyone has that number. One minute it worked the next it was dead.. totally. I tried every thing to kick start it back up and nothing. So I have been having fun playing with my new phone. I got a Samsung Galaxy. Not the newest but the old one... it was much cheaper and pretty much did all the same stuff. The only bummer is it isn't an iphone so I can't have all my music from itunes. I'm looking into a few programs that are suppose to allow me to convert everything. We will see.
I'm waiting for one more recommendation letter to submit with my scholarship application. I hope it gets here today, otherwise I'm out of luck for this one.
I had an accounting test yesterday and only got a B. I was very disappointed. I only had slept for about 4 hours (stress over the dead phone and the test) so wasn't up to my usual self. I really want an A in all my classes. I joined an honors society yesterday. Hopefully I can apply for some scholarships through them too.

Today is a homework day so I better get to work. Later everyone. Stay warm and safe! And Healthy you hear!

Oh, Judy, I got my tea.. thank you big time. I love the card and the tea. Constant Comment reminds me of my wonderful Grandmother. She was British and we had tea time every day at 3pm with Constant Comment and Oreo cookies.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  11:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know how to prevent possums from coming into your garden looking for food? I have a big momma and baby....they are so cute when they wobble away

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  12:15:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals, so glad you are enjoying your tea and that it fits you to a "Tea." *giggle* Oolong is the tea they serve at our favorite sit-down Chinese restaurant. It's great with their Chinese almond cookies. *slurp*
Welcome Joan! So glad you joined us here on the porch. *hands you a cuppa* Pull up a board and cop-a-squat with us anytime! lol
Loved the bunny poster! >:}
We had 54/sun/wind today so I was able to open the windows, turn off the furnace and air the place out like Gr-Granny use to do! Smells so fresh now!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Feb 22 2012 1:13:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  12:37:06 PM  Show Profile
At work and wanted to stop by . Hope everyone is having a good day. I've been in prayer most of the day as the EMG is normal but have a dr. appointment tomorrow at 12ish to find out what the MRI says. Then I will really know what I'm up against. Praying all is good and no surgery is need as hubby is home on sick leave . I'm the only one working and can't lose this job. Maybe something simple that can be treated with meds.
I'll checkin again tonight have a great afternoon.Better get going as my kids I'm a nany for will be home from schoolsoon. Then it's time for snacks,homework and time to make . They left the kitchen trashed so I'll be cleaning that as well today.
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  1:55:25 PM  Show Profile
So, Joan - what is your favorite room at Smoketown? Ours are #10 upstairs in the main building because it is a corner room and overlooks the garden next door plus the road where we can hear the "clip clop" of the buggies going by and the upstairs room in the carriage house that overlooks the garden and the fields with the outside sitting deck. I can't remember the room #.

I'd love to meet you there. Please let me know if you decide to go to the mud sale on March 10th because I'll be there with my friend, and we are staying at the lodge.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  1:58:56 PM  Show Profile
HI Dianne -

I'm so glad you liked the prizes for the 1000 posts drawing - I think you should tell your hubby he drank "girlfriend" coffee just to see what he says!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  2:05:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Luanne: we love the upstairs room also overlooking the farm...many times there are sheep in the garden. So adorable. I remember the first time we stayed there her children were so young. Now they are so grown up. We also stay at the Inn next door. Millstream Inn whenever there are no rooms available at Smoketown. Have you ever stayed there? Their continental breakfast is unbelievable...waffles are homemade from an Amish woman named Sarah. It is also a really nice place. This is so much fun having someone else to talk to about these inns.

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  2:10:48 PM  Show Profile
Hey Luanne did you sign up for penpals? Would you like to write to each other? I have already 3 farmgirls for penpals, wouldn't mind another :)

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  6:29:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi My Porchies...just popping in to say THANKS JUDY FOR THE TEA, adorable card and the Friendship Tea Box
Idea. I will be putting that to use!

Welcome Joan! You will love it here.

I had total Peace yesterday (thanks for the prayers girls) getting all my upper teeth pulled. But lots of pain and swelling for the last day and a half. I swear the more I put ice on it the more swollen I look. Have slept almost non-stop with pain meds. I think this is the worst part about getting an upper denture.
At least I pray so. LOL

OK...am off here. I will be lurking for a few days and popping on for quick updates.

Live Loved,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  7:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Tammy- thanks for the bunny pic! I will have to post it to FB. I was feeling around on the female bunny's tummy, but can't feel any marbles (babies) yet. They are very...uhm...active, so we'll see.

Joan- have you thought of trapping the opossums? One of those live traps that doesn't kill them. And then relocate them far far away. I think they are ugly and have had to fight and kill a few. Yucky things.

Well, with our array of animals and luck it doesn't surprise me that we now have a buzzard. That's right. A buzzard injured it's wing and can't fly and is hanging out here. The dog and cat want to act like they are big stuff and will stalk it but aren't sure how to get a bird bigger than they are. I swear I live on some Twilight Zone farm where all the animals are best friends.

I was watching some bees up close the other day and was so excited that I could actually see the pollen they were harvesting and storing on their legs. Looked like orange dots.

Today I went and took care of babies. Not too bad.

Hope you have a quick recovery Peggy. I always told DH if I have to get dentures I'm going to get them in some ridiculously white shade like a movie star smile. Anyway, be a good girl and do what they tell you. I think you're supposed to sleep a lot to rest your mouth.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  7:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,
slipping in here before I head off to sleepland. I am going to be gone the next few days to a reading conference. My dear little butterflies today asked, "Are you going to miss us?" I said how could I not miss you? Of course but you will be fine and I will see you next week. So sweet. I love them dearly and I do hope things will go well while Madame Butterfly here is gone.

Peggy~hope you heal up soon. Miss readig your posts lately but thought of you much yesterday.

Ruthie~have you covered in prayer. I hope you get good news.

Bunny~ are you out there or buried in homework?

well ladies, I gotta finish packing. Keep my rocker warm until I return!

love to you all,
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Teacup Lane http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  05:53:56 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, have a great time. You will be missed but we will be waiting for your return. Keeping your rocker warm and cozy.
Peggy, Hope the pain eases soon and you will start to feel so much better. No fun getting teeth pulled. Rest lots.
Ruthie, prayers are with you, gal.
Bunny, Hope you have some time for sewing or crocheting. Sounds like lots of homework. When is school out, or do you go during the summer also?
Well, time to get ready for appointment. Have to get a breathing test today.I am hoping and praying it comes out good. I am not ready to use 02 full time. I do need it at night while sleeping because my levels drop way down.
Have a great day, and maybe when I get back I will have time to bake some raisin bread.

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  07:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. Got woke up at 7am by a construction crew here to do work on my mom's house. The county has a program for poor senior citizens to insulate their house and fix things like broken windows. She didn't expect them until 9am. I have never heard of a construction crew that started later then 8am. Thankfully I'm out of there at 8am for school.
I got some cool news yesterday. The local quilt guild asked me to teach a class at our local big quilt show in August. Maybe I'll get more teaching jobs. Thankfully I already did the project and have the tutorial all online. I have to formally write the pattern and instructions for the class.

Well, I have to get ready for school so the guys can get into the bathroom. They are putting in a fan...

later!

Peggy, so good to see you here again. Get well, take care!

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page