Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  11:17:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow everyone is so busy. I am just about to pop outside with some yarn, working on granny squares. Keeping everyone in my thoughts, this is the best day in months.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  1:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies,
It is a beautiful day here and I have to say I so enjoyed being back in the normal routine of going to school etc. I have 18 butterflies and boy do they flutter their wings. I am a bit worn out today so to bed early...well after bible study tonight with my sweet sistas...haven't been in several weeks now so ready to get back into it.

Judy...good gracious girl I nearly found a horse myself to get your butt here before the posse took off. sounds like cleaning out is good you will be glad of it...I know i was after our move.

Peggy what color is your bug? I always wanted one but maybe someday! Jax is doing wonderful. Once we found his toys he was like this is home. Our older golden retriever is not adjusting well. I think he is a bit homesick for the other place so we have been giving him extra loving...hopefully soon he will think of it as home.

angela praying for you my girl. Make sure you take it easy.

Oh peggy a shawl might be somthing I try...finished my scarf and thought it came out quite well. anxious to get going on another project and now we have a quilt store close so I can finish my table runner as well.

Well I have a teacher social this evening and thne bible study. but just wanted to pop in and see how everyone was today.

Love to you all
tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Wings of Joy http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  1:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I miss our VW - we used to have a '67 Beetle - that little thing was so much fun to ride around in!

We have two broody hens sitting on eggs, some of them started hatching out today! So far we have a Black Orpington, an Ameraucana, and a Light Brahma, but :( we found that one dead. One is hatching out - we could hear it so my sister checked and saw a pip in the egg but haven't seen the chick yet. The ones left from this batch will be one more Black Orpington and two more Light Brahmas, and then the other hen is sitting on Silkie and Cochin eggs. They should hatch tomorrow or the next day. Soon we'll have more chickens than we know what to do with!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  5:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,Yes Peg, you are right about the Church of Christ. What's that all about? I mean, they had musical instruments in Bible times.Do you know anything to de-mystify this for me? What????....you fell again???? Haven't I told you before to go easy on the OJ shot and Milk Chaser? Crazy woman! You'll never learn!hahaha *rolls eyes* So glad you are ok. How can you clean a house after that little escapade?
Oh, my beetle handles great in snow&ice too, so don't expect it to be a sled, because I couldn't get it to slide at all when I tried.
Angela, how exciting to have a little one who's so excited to learn a such a young age. Amazing!
You watch, around the time she starts middle school(jr.high we called it)she'll taper off and it'll be a fight just to get her to do her homework.(hope not)
We had a nice sunny/breezy day in the high 70's so we decided to go to a County Fair(i was out of cotton candy don't ya know)heehee It got pretty hot after we got there because all the clouds cleared away. Then after about 2 hours it got real dark and started to sprinkle. We made it to the car and started home before the heavier rain hit. Then when we got home it got sunny again. hahaha Strange weather.
Well, I'm all in.
G'Nite Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  5:36:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals, just a quickie tonight. I am beat after working today, then making supper, then had to run to Walmart. I am ready to just go to bed. I think I will be working through Saturday, that will be 8 days with only Sunday off. I am not used to working that much anymore. I usually only work on Fridays, sometimes Saturdays too if my son has an auction to go to. I don't mind helping him out though, it is nice to have people to talk to during the day, otherwise it is just me and Olivia (the dog) and she does not talk back to me that much. Hard to have a conversation. LOL!!!
More tomorrow. Have a wonderful evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  12:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Hello My Chatty Porchies...Love when everyone is all abuzz.

Cherime...I feel like you do...My Little VW Bug is just like driving a little sports car. Just Zippen here and zippen there. My husband has gone back to driven his old Buick because I've needed the Bug the last two days. I think he is much happier in that old car...so, he will probably drive it until it won't go anymore. LOL

Bunny...Oh, sorry girl that you were having a Fibro Flare...I wondered about that. You do realize if you move closer to Portland the weather will affect you more (like when you came home from the Beach last summer.)

Between my fall and my Fibro and my son trying to give me insulin overload today...I am just wiped out. We got a lot done at his house and his fiance was was very pleased. She did not like how my son decided to rearrange the living room furniture (either did I) and he was pretty sure he would have to move it back after she saw it. LOL Smart man not to get his feelings hurt over it.

My son, was reading how good Bee Pollen was for inflamation etc. So, he made me a Fruit Smoothie with Bee Pollen in it...and I sipped on it the whole time we were working. Well, after we were done he decided to take me out to lunch for helping him. We were at Baha Fresh and all of a sudden I hit a wall and I was just too tired to even eat my lunch. So, we took it to go...and I said, "I think we better leave the Bug at your house and I will just have you take me home...I have got to sleep NOW!" Well, after I woke up from my nap...I got to thinking about what he told me he put in the smoothie and that is when it hit me...that I had a huge sugar spike. My diabetis did not like that fruit smoothie one bit. So, much for it giving me an energy boost...it did the exact opposite. LOL

I am not as sore from the fall as I thought I would be. But what's one pain compared to pain all the time??? Hard
to diverentiate.

Good luck with the Quilting Show this weekend Bunny. Too bad you can't just go and enjoy it instead of working at it too.

Angela...thankfully I only fell in front of my dog...and he likes me no matter how funny I look or stupid I act. LOL He did kind of look at me like, "Huh, what are you doing down here in my space?" *tail wagging*

Hello Emily...glad to have you on the Porch today. What are you making with your granny squares? I have an afghan sitting in my closet...waiting for colder weather...so, I can finish putting it together. This was my first granny square project. I found out that I like making them more than sewing them together. LOL

Teacher Tammy...so glad that you had a good first day of school with your 18 little Butterflies.

My Bug is silver.
Has a Moon/Sun Roof. I want to buy eye lashes for it but my husband feels funny driving around with the orange gerber daisy
in it. I don't think he is going to go for Eye Lashes! I would love them though.

Lindsey...you had one of those first "LIL" Bugs didn't ya?
They are much different than the ones like Judy and I have. These feel so roomy inside, the heat works really well in them LOL, they even have seat warmers. They have A/C besides opening the sun roof and widows. And most noticable to me when I first got in a newer one...there is lots and lots of room between you and the windshield, not like the old bugs. That makes me feel safer too.

Judy...my first 16 years of being a Christian...I attended the Instrumental Church of Christ. Not accepted by the Non-Instruementalists. When I traveled the country with my ex-husband (a Musician) I attended some Non Instruement Churches...but when they found out I was from an Instrumental Church...well let's just say they had issues with that.
I, however could worship with them and I was fine with the difference though I preferred the Instruements.

Over the Last 20 years...we have attended The Christian Church. They are
Instruemental. One thing I will say for the Churches of Christ...they maybe a bit on the strict and ultra conservative side of The Faith...but they are strong Preachers and Teachers of The Word. I appreciate all the teaching I got during those first 16 years of my Christian Life. I am the Bible Study Teacher I am today because of the indepth study of the Bible that I learned during those years.

Anyway, I totally believe that God doesn't care as much about The Name Over the Door where we worship...He cares more about the name written on our Hearts. HIS!

Janet...did I mix you and Netty up, with who was working for their Son??? I have been so tired...I can easily get mixed up about most anything. But it sounds like I am not alone. Ha Ha! I would love to see a picture of your little Olivia.

OK girls...I have nothing on my agenda for tomorrow...so, hope I can sleep in. That sounds heavenly...don't know if it will happen but I am sure going to give it my best shot.

Night My Porchies
Sweet Dreams,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 23 2012 12:17:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  05:19:19 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, it will be an afgan someday. But I like to sit and put them together, we will see how well they go together. I love your comment too about god not caring about the name over the door of the church.

Well ladies, I sat on my front porch for about a half hour this morning waiting for my daughter's first bus. I am a bit of a ball of emotions right now. I think I might make another square or two right now.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  05:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Bunny blessings on the quilt show financially and physically. Praying for things to ease up for you.
Peg, I did enjoy my VW a lot. Mine was a bit slower what with being a diesel, not quite so much pickup but zippy non the less.
As of yesterday it appears that God is shutting the door on working for the other attorney. His secretary does not want to try to learn anything from me. I think she feels threatened and intends to strike first so that I do not infringe on her position. I hate and detest office politics. I suffered through that for years when I first went to work for the guys because of a woman who worked there and WILL NOT do so again. Like the old Eagles song I am "already gone" On 1/1/13 it will just be official. My son wants me to hang out my own paralegal shingle. I had a growing business on the side before my DH got so sick. That just might be the way to go.
God Bless us each and every one. Have a great day ladies.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  09:58:42 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, too bad about the bad sugar rush. At least you were able to figure out what it was. No more smoothies for you! Your bug sounds cute. Probably kinda nice to have two cars... At least for a while. I have thought about the fibro and living in Portland. I'm here for at least a year until school is done. I figure a lot can happen in a year. I know I can live in Hood River without any big change. I wish I was able to go to Portland more often to test it. But that would mean shopping and that means money... So I can only guess right now.
I'm glad your fall wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.

Emily, sorry you are having a hard day with first day of school. I was able to quit working when my son started school and helped in the classroom a few days a week. That helped a lot. If you have the time, you might see if you can be a classroom helper.

Cherime, hanging your own shingle sounds like a wonderful idea. But you might get more business than you can handle. I bet you would be in big demand!

I'll be able to enjoy the quilt show tomorrow even though I'm doing demos. I will only do it in the morning for a few hours. At least as long as people are interested. I only hope I don't look like a pathetic sales woman. I just think too many people don't understand the technique and my cutting tool. I'm also a bit disappointed the organizers are putting me outside. They don't get it either. I'm trying to get more students which makes them more money too.

Well, today is pack the truck day. Hopefully by doing it ahead I'll have time to make sure I don't forget anything.

Later all!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  11:36:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! Waiting for the laundry to dry so I'm popping in and catching up. Been busy getting ready for our spiritual pioneering month in September. I'm also working on the fence for the new garden. I'm so happy when things work like how I imagined them. I'll get fence pics up soon. DH's office manager contacted HR and they told her DH was in the right. She had to swallow hard and apologize to DH. She is being syrupy sweet to him now. The boss is coming back next week and she probably does not want DH mentioning her fiasco to him. It's like As the World Turns at that office sometimes. We've had a smidge of rain. I appreciate the cloud cover even if it doesn't rain. It's unbearable to work outside otherwise. Our baby bunnies are doing great and DH expanded the bunny yard some more to make room. I'm still having some down moods and keeping an eye on it. Yesterday I made sugar cookies and icing but couldn't bring myself to get the icing on them. I was too tired. I think stress is getting me. The rest of this week I am trying to only do a few things and mostly sit around and recharge. One funny thing happened to me this week. You will think of I Love Lucy when I tell you. The back window in my van dropped down. DH fixed it up but said don't roll it down. Ok, no problem. Well, it fell down again...while I was in the car wash!!! I hopped in the back and was trying to get the window up before the sprayer came back around. I could not get it up and had to jump back in the front and just laugh. I sat through the rest of the car wash and now I have a clean and waxed back seat. We will have to see about it getting professionally fixed on Friday. Yep, that devil is trying real hard to get to me.

Megan- I hope your school year goes well. They never had rugby where I went to school. I don't know if I would do very well, though. The Irish Fest sounds fun. We enjoy going to those as well.

Peggy- All your flowers and heart shaped surprises are beautiful. We have some heart shaped cactus around here. Now that's odd! Your BAT sandwich sounds yummy. I love "feminizing" items, like your gerber daisy and wanting to get eyelashes. Because then the DH's don't want to touch the stuff..hehehe.

April- Congrats to your kids. I don't think we'll get time to do an entry into the fair this year. I was hoping we would but I'm just too busy. I HAVE watched the Back To Eden video. Isn't it exciting? That's why we are making our new gigantic wonderful garden. The lady at the dirt place got huge saucer eyes when I told her it was a 32 foot by 40 foot garden. I'm really looking forward to trying this method.

Dianne- Ha ha ha!! We have Century Link, too. Your comment was too funny. Thanks for your prayers for DH and me. If you have any extra yarn I would love to try it. I'm using a sock weight mohair right now for a shawl/scarf.

Lindsey- I'm with you, I love Fall!! The Farmer's Almanac is listing Fall at one of the earliest times ever. I hope that means a nice long winter. Of course winter here is mostly above freezing. Your picture of library books is inspiring! No, really. It makes me want to go out and play in my compost pile. I love the library. I'm sure one day they will disappear but hopefully not in my lifetime. Congratulations on all your new chicks.

Netty- I have 2 freezers, too. When there is a sale on meat/bacon I love having them. I put other things there as well for a hiding place. Candy and cookies to hide them from DD...hee hee. I agree with you about not spraying. There is evidence showing that it is killing the bees. When I took a bee class I was amazed at how much pollination bees do. We are sunk without them.

Cherime- Oh I wish our leaves were turning. Turning brown and dead doesn't count. Where are you Fall?!

Alyce- Happy your DH told that homewrecker to leave him alone.

Angela- Oh my! I'm glad your rear end is getting better. What a terrible time. Hopefully you are on the mend now. Your daughter sounds precious. Wish mine would decide whether she is a big girl or still a baby.

Judy- I get the Fall cleaning bug, too. I figure if I gotta sit all winter looking at it, it better be stuff I want to look at. Glad that God has finally sent someone to drag you to church. Ha ha!

Teacher Tammy- You might enjoy making a small afghan next. I like the ones what use the giant hooks and have big stitches. They work up real fast so there's lots of positive instant gratification for you. The Lion Brand Yarn website has lots of free and easy projects.

Bunny- Good luck with your quilt show!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BitsofEntropy?ref=si_shop
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  2:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Peg, I have gerber daisies too, an orange one and a gold one. We ARE twins. hahaha I put them in the vase for Fall. I have tulips for Spring, daisies for Summer and I go all out for Christmas/Winter. Then hearts for Valentines, shamrocks for St Patty's.... well, let's just say that this car is fun to dress up....better than a cement goose on the porch! hahahaha And yes, I have considered the eyelashes too. hahaha My Mom's neighbor calls my heated seats my "Bun-Warmers!" ROFL
Is your car all leather? So easy to care for. Thanks for the church info. I don't care where I go as long as I'm "Spititually fed!" If I don't feel that I'm getting that....I'm moving on! I do like strong preaching and music that touches my heart....oh....and a place where people aren't afraid to raise their hands in Praise and say Amen out loud when the Spirit moves them and they agree with the message!
Well, We had to take Mama to the ER this morning for a strange rash that has mysteriously polluted her whole body. She is miserable. When she ASKS us to take her there.....she's had enough. She didn't even tell me about it until 3 days ago and even then she acted like it was just a little itching. This poor woman was almost a solid welt of red rash. Poor thing. They just gave her a script for prednisone and told her to take benadryl. I already told her to start benadryl and use some cortisone cream. They didn't even give her any cream for the itchy welts. I will take her some tomorrow when I check on her. Benadryl cream or caladryl clear works wonders for me.
My shingles flared up yesterday too. Bad timing. My lower gums started to swell and get irritated and the same side of my scull above my ear started to hurt. Luckily Dave had some anti-viral capsules from his cold sores left, so I started those. What timing for Mama&Me!
Like Mama...like Daughter! hahaha
Toodles for now!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Aug 23 2012 9:51:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  8:02:14 PM  Show Profile
I have been stalking...lol. I love your chatter and would love to meet you all in person. Is it ok to just jump in?

Today I bought a beehive. I don't have a veil and I am filled with information and no practice. Hopefully those poor bees survive me. I have a mentor, he owns Cox's Honey. The hive was owned by a lady who got stung and doesn't want it anymore. I've always wanted bees...I guess you should be careful for what you ask for:)

Farmgirl #121
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  8:46:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I'm sending hugs and prayers to anyone who needs them!
The first day of school was great! I love all of my teachers, and I'm looking forward to hopefully a good year. I hope everyone has great Thursdays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  01:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi My Porch Girlies...

Emily...oh, the first day of school is harsh on mama's hearts. I remember all too well.
I liked Bunny's suggestion about volunteering in your child's classroom. I did that too and it really did make a difference
both for my son and me.

Cherime...You and me girlfriend when it comes to office politics. Especially a female office. I don't like it one bit. I have always preferred working with men over women. Women can really get so caddy and insecure in the work environment. I even warned my sons about that as they headed off into the workforce. They found the same thing pretty much true.
Anyway...hanging out your own Shingle sounds like a pretty good idea.

I know whatever you do...you will be helping people. That is just your nature and your calling.

Bunny...glad that you will get some enjoyment out of the Quilting Show.
I use to go to those shows in the Spokane area...with my ex-mother in love. She was a fabulous quilter too. Wish I had some room in my apartment for all the fabric she had bought for quilting.
Gorgeous Stuff!

Julie...your garden area sounds like it is going to be lovely. We have a really cool thing that's going on around the Portland/Vancouver area. It's called Garden Barter and it is people that go on to a place like Craigs List Only it is For Fruits and Veggies and they barter with other
gardeners in the area. An example: Maybe you didn't have a good crop of Zuchinni but someone else did and so, you barter carrots and lettuce for zuchinni. I have seen them bartering for jars of jellies, jams and home made brew. I think it is a fabulous way to share and not waste one's produce.

Oh, girl your carwash story did remind me of an episode of I love Lucy. I could just see you dashing back there at breakneck speed trying to get that window back up. I am sure you didn't think it was too laughable until afterwards...LOL

Sorry to hear that you are still feeling down. Stress is the number one factor in depression. Exercise of any kind can help boost those endorfins. Gardening, walking, etc. It's when you feel like you can't do anything...that you really need to seek help. Praying for you!

I would love to see a picture of a heartshaped Cactus. How cool is that?
Today...I took a picture of a heart shaped piece of trash, a heart shape in the middle of the road where people had done fireworks, and a heart shape made out of rod-iron on a mailbox.
Also, two days ago my dog spit up water on the carpet and low and behold it was heartshaped. (yes, I took a picture of it too.) LOL

I still want those Eye Lashes for My Bug!!!
Do you think DH would notice???? Maybe not! He's not real perseptive. LOL

Judy...yeah my husband thinks that little flower holder would make a better ink pen holder. I noticed a blue ball point pen behind the Gerber Daisy a couple days ago. Men...way too funny!

It's funny that you mentioned your mama coming down with a strange rash...because tonight on the news they were saying that hundreds of people across the country were getting a mysterious rash from tatooing. Do you suppose your Mama went and got herself a "tat" when you all weren't looking? LOL Tell her that I like my Purple Cross Tatoo way better than I like my new denture. Hee hee! Unfortunaley that is true. There is soooo many reasons why I don't like this denture...but the main one is because it changed the shape of my mouth. And that I don't like because it doesn't look like me anymore.

You are only the 3rd person I have ever heard that admitted to their shingles flaring back up. I get flares once in awhile too and so does my mom. I think stress causes them to flare.
Did you have shingles in your mouth and hair? I had mine down my spine and around my bra-line to underneath my right boob. But when I get flare-ups...it is almost always on my legs. Weird huh?
Do you have nerve damage from your bout of shingles?

Hey, like I said, "It isn't the Name over the Building...God cares about." So just go...and as long as you feel spiritually fed that is what matters most.

WELCOME TO THE PORCH BERNADINE! Feel free to Lurk all you want...but I can tell you from experience that it is much more fun to come hang out with all the Other Porchies and share the chatter. These women will all become your friends and sisters...and you will discover that you don't want a day to go by with out gabben with 'em.
And getting in some funny discussions, praying for each other, venting when we need to and just plain sharing life in general.

Well, good for you buying a beehive. We have a few women who are into doing their own beekeeping. Keep us posted on how it all goes for you.

Megan...now, I would be more surprised if you said you didn't like one of your teachers and school was going to be a drag! *giggle* Because hey, we know that would so NOT BE YOU! LOL
Glad you have such a cheery and opptemistic view of school and life in general. It's fun seeing the World through your eyes.

OK...today I did sleep in about an hour longer than usual. Then dh an I went to Portland to my favorite Antique Mall and Cafe and I got some Retail Therapy! Loved that!!!

OK...I'm off to bed.
My gal that does my floors and bathrooms for me...will be here in the morning.

Hugs,
peg

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 23 2012 09:50:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  07:07:15 AM  Show Profile
Peg, that is the main problem with dentures, the dentist doesn't wear one and has no clue. I told the dentist that if he did not fix the silly thing that I would take a Dremel to it myself. They fixed it. They make them way too thick in a mistaken idea that they will last better. The first one I had fit like a glove and was nice and thin. Hardly knew I had one and it lasted 50 years. Then they tried to get me to wear the monstrosity they told me was as denture. Oh garbage! But I only knew that because the guy who made the first one was really really good. You might go back to them and tell them it does not fit correctly. It is worth a try if you keep bugging them they might do a good job.

Bunny glad to hear that you will be able to enjoy this one.

Strange rash? That is odd. A friend up here, a young man, tangled with Cow Parsnip, the poison in it reacts with sunlight and he is having a rough time recovering. Nasty stuff. It tends to leave scars.

Well ladies. Blessing to all and welcome Bernadine. I am always in a rush it seems gone again.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  10:30:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey there, Bernadine! Welcome to The Porch! Glad to have ya here.

Well, we have 6 chicks so far... 4 hatched Tueday, one yesterday, and one this morning... and more are hatching today. They sure are cute little fluffballs! This brings our total to 38 chickens so far! But our rooster Gregory Peck may need a new home because he's picking fights with our other roo, Sarge.

I started lacto-fermenting some carrots today, so we'll see how they turn out.

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  6:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies :)

I'm just starting at the top of the page on the topic reply page, so I'm sorry I miss anyone.

Linz - Congratulations on the chickies! How are your carrots? I've never had lacto-fermented anything, so I'm interested in how it goes for you.

Netty - Did you get your weeding done? It's so hot here this week. Thankfully the weekend is supposed to be much cooler (by about 10 degrees, so I'm happy).

Cherime - don't go too fast! Sit a spell & catch your breath!

Peggy - I'm interested in what your "retail therapy" was! What did you find/get? I think it would be so cool to go to an antique mall/store. Whenever I go to Value Village, I always take a look for dishes like my Grandma's lol. Not quite sure why - maybe because we all got a little bit after she passed away & don't have a set of anything. Not that VV is anything like an antique mall or store, by any means!

Megan - glad to hear your first day of school went well! Happy for you .

MeadowCrone - congratulations on your beehive & welcome to the porch . It's a fun place .

Judy - hope you and your Mom feel better soon! That's not fun at all .

Julie - oh no about your back window! Hopefully it wasn't too much of a mess to clean up!

Bunny - you'll do awesome on your demos I'm sure, and you'll probably get more students than you know what to do with!

I'm still rather tired, but it's getting better - maybe it's psychological because I know I don't have a million things to do on the weekend? Haha yah right. Going to try posting a bit more regularly, instead of "lurking" & not writing anything, even when I am crazy tired - you ladies are awesome! Thanks for all the prayers & positive thoughts. I had my dr appt today. She wanted me to continue with at least one of my medications, or I guess technically 2 (the metformin & spironolactone, and I have to get more blood tests done (yay me), just to see if my thyroid is down again. I don't know what it is. I'm really tempted to start a more vegetarian diet (a la "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman and Sexy Hormones by Lorna R Vanderhaeghe & Alvin Pettle) & see if that doesn't help. From what I've read in a lot of books & a bit of online research, it's so much better for you. And meat is crazy expensive up here, not to mention non-organic/local, so I think I'm going to try it. As long as the co-op doesn't run out of salads & vegetables and/or their quality is good, I shouldn't spend much more on food than I do now. And I'm going to try some natural stuff for my PCOS, which is also another reason why I'm so tired all the time (gotta love how everything is so intricately inter-twined....NOT! Only great when it's all working together ) instead of all the pills/prescriptions & chemicals I'm shoving into my body , expecting it to cooperate.

I made 8 dozen no-bake cookies last night - it only took about an hour or so -for the farmer's market tomorrow. It's the church ladies turn to provide the meal & since I can't be there and/or provide anything hot, one of the other ladies said "just make some cookies". So I have vanilla, butterscotch, chocolate fudge & regular (chocolate coconut oatmeal). The flavored ones used pudding. They are a little sweet for my tastes, but a lot of things are since I got my tonsils out.

Well, I better go & tidy up a bit, and I need to email my friend. We ended up texting each other last night til about 11:30 which is way past my bedtime! And I told her I'd email her tonight. If I don't get started, I may not get to it tonight! Hope you all have a good night!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  6:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Evening ladies,
It is quiet int he house so I thought I would pop in before I do some study on my bible lessons. I already have a butterfly story...imagine that and only after 3 days. Little butterfly says to me: Mrs. Schroeder I have a foreache. Thought what is that? She replies to my strange look: Mrs. S. that is code for my forehead aches. I just giggled cause she just got glasses so it made perfect sense after she explained she was speaking code...too cute. They are a talkative bunch and so I am glad tomorrow is Friday. It has been a tiriing week.

I decided to do a table runner for next crochet and then my mom has a cute afgan that I can do so I have planned two projects.

I am so excited my new appliances for my kitchen are ready for pickup so hopefully this weekend we can pick them up and than have them installed next week. I might actually be able to cook again! Yeah!

well I am off for tea and some time to study my bible lesson.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Wings of Joy http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  10:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Bernadine! I think you'll have fun on our Porch. We are just a bunch of hens doing the "pick a little,talk a little,pick a little,talk a little,cheap,cheap,cheap talk a lot,pick a little" cackle. (from Music Man)Remember that musical? Loved the music to that one. Glad you came to visit our Porch.
Peg, it is so strange to get shingles in the mouth and on the noggin.I thought I was having tooth problems until the Doc told me that's what it was.Crazy! It's weird, but I don't actually FEEL stressed. Mama and I feel a little better today after just one day of medicine. Thanks for all of your well-wishes for both of us. I will pass them along to her tomorrow.
Well, I'm tired. G'Nite Gals!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  12:38:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey Porchies....kind of quiet on The Porch today and night. I guess everyone is feeling ready for the week to end. It has been a very tiring week for me too. Mostly Fibro related.

Cherime...you know, my denture is very thin, I can't really complain there. BUT I have a very small mouth (I know, hard to believe huh? LOL) Anyway, because of that they had to make me a special (almost child size) denture. Even though my mouth is small my tongue is large...and there is no time when my tongue isn't rubbing up against my the pallette of my denture. So, my tongue gets sore from that. And it makes my already dry mouth even dryer. I started on the Biotene Mouth Rinse this week for dry mouth...I am not sure it helps that much. But I will keep using it. I also seem to bite my tongue continually when I am eating. It's like it gets in the way all the time...but just on one side. It's crazy because I am biting underneath my tongue...how that is happening just baffles me. BUT what I really don't like is that it makes my mouth look weird. It is like my upper lip...sucks in a bit making me look like an old crone with a frown. Are you getting the idea...that I hate everything to do with this denture experience??? Well, anyway...thanks for letting me rant. The dentist thinks they look just fine. But like you said...they don't have to wear them. What do they know. LOL

Netty...so your not interested in seeing my dogs heart shape spit up huh??? LOL
Well, I'll try not to take offense. Hee hee!
Boy, doesn't it always happen that the phone rings right at the most inconvenient moment? You should have just taken it out the first time huh?

Lindsey...can you show us some pix of your little fluff balls?
I haven't seen a bunch of chicks for a very long time.

Pam...what are your other symptoms besides fatigue? Diet can really help with energy level and a lot of other health benefits. I know for myself...I could never go totally vegetarian. I need my protein to feel good. I see that you are also diabetic (Metformen)...that plays a huge part in being tired all the time. That sugar spike is a killer.

I love the choc., coconut, oatmeal No Bake Cookies. Awe you just had to mention those didn't ya? I hope you brought some to the Porch to share??? LOL

My Retail Therapy consisted of some antigue buttons. A very cute white napkin holder (that is flat) with colorful butterfly napkins in it (they are new) and it has a little white bird that sets on top of the napkins to keep them from blowing away. Then I got two cute pincushions. One is a womans slipper and the other one is a small blue bowl pin cushion (I collect them). Then I also got 4 old iced tea spoons. Now I have 7 of them. If when I go back they still have the last two left...I will buy them too. You can not find iced teaspoons here anymore unless you find them at an antigue store or Value Village or Goodwill. I always have my eye out for them. My husband and I use them for so many different type foods...not just tea. That all I got this trip. But it was fun.

Teacher Tammy...good thing she informed you that she was speaking in code. LOL Do you teach speaking in code in your class? LOL I need to learn how to do that...it might come in very handy at times.

Oh, a Table Runner sounds like a great project. Good for you.
What are you studying in your Bible Study Group?
I am getting ready to teach Beth Moore
s Book on James. We just got our workbooks and are all anxious for Sept 6th to get here so we can start.

Judy...I don't think I've known anyone besides you to get it in their mouth. Sounds extremely painful!!! My Aunt got it on her scalp and in the corner of one eye. That can cause blindness (getting it in your eyes) but she had no adverse affects from it (besides the pain of the shingles itself).
Again, that sounds extremely painful to me. Well, I am glad you don't feel stressed...but maybe you were worried about your mama and that caused the flair.

Ok my Porchie Babes....my Crafting Group was fun tonight. We always have such fun gabbing and laughing.

Well, off to bed to read and then slumber....more tomorrow....praying a Great Friday For All.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  04:52:18 AM  Show Profile

Here are the oldest 4... no pictures of the others yet. :)

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  06:10:02 AM  Show Profile
Aw those are so cute Lindsey!

Peggy - it is mostly just tired. Sometimes I get a little dizzy if I get up too fast, but I just stop for a minute, then I'm ok. But tired is the main thing. I don't think I could go total vegetarian, but mostly I think I could. The metformin is for my PCOS - which can lead to diabetes (family history also) & insulin resistance. Gotta go for blood tests right shortly. Of course there are lots of cookies here for everyone! I made 8 dozen! lol Share & share alike :). Just don't eat too many of them - they are kind of sweet :p.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  08:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies. Is it okay if I lean on the porch a bit? I'm new here, and am not totally sure how this porch thing works, but it looks to be pretty popular here in the forums.

Lindsey, that's a pretty RIR. I have one, and she should lay any day but her comb is still small and dry. She's a good sentry though seeing as though I don't have a roo. She's a keeper, eggs or no eggs.

Oh, no-bake cookies. Funny, I hadn't had any in years and my sister just made some and had me take some home with me after my visit recently. Now I want to make some too!

Anyone doing anything special this weekend? My son has his first Tackle Football game tomorrow. He's 6. I found my half knitted hat, so maybe I'll take that along with me. I also have a PTA meeting, and we need to figure out what we'll be discussing at the first general meeting. I need to put in the new doggy door sometime too, but I have a feeling the weekend will get away from me before I even get the laundry done. I work Full Time and am ALWAYS fighting to find minutes in the day.

...boys, dogs, a cat, chickens and a couple o' fish.

I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  09:50:47 AM  Show Profile
WELCOME TO THE PORCH ERIN!!! You couldn't have come to a better place to hang out and enjoy
awesome Farm Sisters!! The Porch always has room for one more. We love hearing what is going
on (or not going on) in each others days. We laugh a lot, cry together sometimes, hold each
other up and allow ranting and venting when needed to blow off steam. We love our virtual
food here on The Porch because it has no calories. We share food, drinks and even sometimes
recipes. (+: So, pull up a Rocker and stay as long as you want and come often, you will be
glad that you did.

Lindsey...Awe look at those little fluffy chicks. They are so cute. Thanks for sharing the picture.

OK...I am off to run some errands and I will be back later.

Smile and The World Smiles With You,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 24 2012 09:52:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  5:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies-

It has been a long time since I have come to sit on the porch. I've been busy at work on a project that has been all-consuming, but I have given my notice and will be retiring from my current company on 10-31-2012.

I am going to try and find another job, hopefully one that is less stressful and fewer hours required. I am looking forward to spending some more time chatting on the porch.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page