Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2014 :  07:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
RoDonna, I answered abt Frontier Girls on other thread. The wedding sounds LOVELY!!!

Peggy- That picture is sooo pretty!!!!! My daughter started walking at 9 mo!! All my boys were 13 mo, though.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl/wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2014 :  4:48:17 PM  Show Profile
Love that pretty birdie Peg. What bright colors. Thanks for sharing that with us. No, I haven't tried the Lemon Dessert tea. But with a name like that it sounds good doesn't it? If you don't like it...you can always give it away in the Tea-Swap. *giggle* ...or....make summer ice tea with it. Add some mint. Sounds refreshing!
Mama had her ordeal today. Poor lady was in there over an hour...just to have an ultra-sound done on her right jaw. She said they worked her over real good. Both sides, neck, chest, shoulders...the works. She was wore out. We went to eat and went to get some groceries. Now she's probably ready for bed. Poor Mama. I Pray it is something simple like a plugged saliva gland. That would explain her dry mouth all the time.
Sure glad we didn't get all that snow we were suppose to. It all went south.
Well, it's only 8 PM and I'm all wore out too. I had to unload all of those groceries in to her place, then drag mine in to my place. I'm ready for bed myself. Getting old(er)ain't for sissies. LOL

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2014 :  7:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Evening ladies. It's been super cold here, but what's new LOL I feel for those of you with arthritis and fibro in weather like this. I can't even imagine functioning. Good news is that they're predicting 20's and possibly 30's next week!!!! Break out the fur lined bikinis LOL.

We were able to get out for a little bit Saturday. M* took me to a coffee shop cafe and we had lunch. Cool place. He even suggested that he could see us hanging out there on the weekends with our books and tablets :O) We stopped at a couple thrift stores and scored some cool finds. M* found me an owl for my collection. It's actually a butter dish cover. I found these neat boxes (pics below). I'm using the metal one to put my ear plugs and IPod cord in on my desk so Moo will leave them alone. I finished my socks this past weekend, finally!! There's a definite difference in the cuffs, a noticeable difference between my first one where I was learning the stitch to the second sock where I had it down. Nobody will see the cuffs so it's no big deal. They're a chocolate brown, hard to tell in the pic. I wore them today and I love the softness of the yarn, it's the Andes brand from Knit Pick, and I'll be buying it again. I started on a crochet rag rug from all the sheets I've been purchasing from the thrift stores too. Hope to have it done this weekend and will take pics.

Peggy- There's a movie or tv series coming out based on the Divergents. Haven't read them yet but sounds like I need to. I've been reading Amish Friends Knitting Circle. There's a couple series, which are more like long chapters instead of books, but I enjoy them. I've read the first 2 in the series and now I'm on Amish Friends Knit Lit Circle. It's a neat concept. I'm about half way through Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs. Bone's TV series is based off the author and her books. The book is NOTHING like the series but once I separated it in my mind I started enjoying the book.

Judy - wow, you're poor mom has gone through so much. Hopefully they'll get everything figured out soon and she'll feel better.

Need some suggestions and prayers. My mom moved in with my brother a couple years ago and to put it nicely it's not working out. We're attempting to figure out if we can get her back to Indiana and if we get her there if she can support herself. My sister informed me tonight that our brother had just finished her taxes and she made less than $10,000 last year between SS and her pension (only $1000/yr on this as she never put money away). Is it possible for her to live on this even with any assistance we can get her? She'd have to be in an income based apartment. To say she's been financially irresponsibly with what little money she's had is to put it mildly. Apparently prior to moving in with my brother she'd go out to eat and buy things instead of buying her meds and then end up in the hospital and beg my brother and sister for money to pay her hospital bills. If she needed dental work she'd have it done and then not have money for food. She'd buy campers that she'd supposedly "save her money" to use once a year, probably by not taking her meds or not eating right. Obviously changes will have to be made and her pride is going to take a massive beating not to mention her sense of entitlement to be able to make it work. I'm sure on this small of income she should be able to get assistance to pay for utilities? She also lost her medical assistance/med payment coverage somehow and never appealed it so that will have to be fixed. We've come to the conclusion she's never going to be happy, it's a matter of how unhappy she is. She's one of those difficult people as several of you have similar types of mothers you can understand. How do I even start to try to find out what assistance she could get? She'll have to find a part time job. I'm feeling overwhelmed already and we're just starting to look into it. I wish we could find somebody for her to share an apartment or home with. M*'s suggestion was to get a man for her LOL

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2014 :  7:40:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls! Thanks! I'm so excited to be back and hope to do better with my swaps.

I love the snow but I'm ready for it to leave and come back at the end of the year. I need some warmth. The poor kiddos are having the cabin fever and trying my patience in the end. LOL.. Gotta love homeschooling but we're ready to go exploring and visit the animals again. We have a membership at the Kentucky Game Farm. They have a lot of the animals that are native to Kentucky. The kids love it there. We're looking into getting a membership to the zoo again. Exploring the state is fun though. We went to Fort Harrod over the summer and it was great when you don't have to go with a school. We got to do more one on one with the actors of the forts. They were so much fun to talk to. My oldest DS loves the Civil War era so we might go to Perryville this summer. It's the closest battlefield.

We are looking to get some chickens and maybe a rabbit this year. We went to Rural King a few weeks ago and saw all the chicks. My 6 year old DS threw a fit when we couldn't take a chick home. He didn't understand that we had to build a place to keep it. :) Poor thing. I'm getting ideas for a coop on Pinterest (my favorite place). We have coyotes and other animals that might try to get to them so I'm learning from some books and homesteading magazines how to reinforce it.

Peg...don't you just love children at that age. I'm sure they will get used to Grandpa's beard soon. Does he have it all the time or just the cold months? My husband sometimes has a beard for the winter but he shaved. He was getting teased and comments on how he looked like one of the Duck Dynasty guys. hee hee.

Judy...Leitchfield is about a two hour drive from my house. I've been there before though. Beautiful country. Went down there with my youth group one time for a Christian concert. I love hot tea! I drink it all the time. I need to drink more green tea though. I know that it's better for ya. I tried some with pomegranate in it. Didn't like that too much. Even put sugar in it and couldn't take the taste too much. I'll have to look into that Republic of Teas. Sounds interesting.

Well, I guess I'd better get back to working on my brother's wedding. I'm doing the bouquets that my new SIL, her friend, and I will be holding. It's daisies. Love daisies! I have some ideas...now to put them together.

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
www.marykay.com/rcarson4
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  10:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi My Porchies...

Judy...I couldn't give away a Tea I didn't like. I have to love it to share it.
When will Mama get her ultra sound results back?
I'm sure some of you are plenty sick of the snow and cold.

P. Gypsy Tammy...I like your boxes. I have the greenish colored one. I collect cool boxes.
Congrats on finishing your socks.
I have never tried to knit socks...looks too difficult...for my arthritic hands.
Hey, Tammy can you tell me the name of the Place you get your boxes of Garden Produce from? I want to see if we have anything similar in this area.
Yes, Divergent is going to come out in the Movie Theaters at the end of the month. That is what drew me to the books.
I also have read those short Amish Knitting reads. They were good.
It sounds like if your mother lives on her own... she will occasionally have to have family bail her out because of her poor spending habits. That is hard one for all involved I am sure. I can relate to difficult Mothers...but mine is very responsible with her money.
A man is NOT always the answer for Female problems...sometimes they are the cause. LOL

Hi RoDonna...I do love my sweet grand children. I hope they do get use to Grandpa's beard. He loves them so much and feels so badly. But he does wear a beard all the time...and Grandmama thinks he looks scary without it. LOL
How fun that you have a Wedding to work on and look forward to. That is always exciting.

Well, girls off to read.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Edited by - LadyInRed on Mar 06 2014 10:31:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  09:04:18 AM  Show Profile
Morning Gals! Sunny/30 this morning. Very chipper looking out. That's all it takes to perk us up sometimes here in "Snow-Country!" *giggle*
Peg, The reason I said to give it away at a swap is because I've learned that if I like it, hubby doesn't, and if he likes it, I don't. hahaha It's all good because nothing even gets wasted here. We laugh about it but it happens a lot. Just yesterday, I ordered some Chinese take out. One of the items wasn't what I thought it should be and I didn't care for it. Hubby loved it. hahaha Ya just never know.
PGTammy, Those boxes are in mint condition. I collect unusual boxes too. I like the tiny boxes though. It must be a "Farm-girl Thang!" *giggle* Prayers going up for your mother's housing situation. That's a tough one. My Mama has always been good with her money...what little she has. hahaham
RoDonna, I really like the Davidson Teas too and they are very reasonable. They sell larger boxes though, BUT if you buy 3 or 4 you get 1 free. I'm always looking, not only for tasty teas...but a bargain to boot. hahaha They sell a Vanilla-Cream-Spice that I use to mix with some of my other teas to mellow them out and change up the flavor. It's really good in the chai teas I have. Also I added it to the 2nd cup of Peggy's Blueberry tea to make it smooth and creamy. I love to create teas. There are so many that go together.
Well,rumor has it that a certain "Sissy" is coming to visit tomorrow(got a ride on a wagon train heading north,don't ya know)so I suppose I'll run a sweeper and dust 'at' a shelf(even tho she's use to my "fluff'n stuff") *giggle*
Oh, I don't know how soon we'll be hearing from the Doc. Whenever the spirit moves them I guess.
TTFN!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  10:15:50 AM  Show Profile
Afternoon Ladies!
Snowing & grey here today but we're in for a treat this weekend with the temp going up. From freezing your tongue to a flag pole to doing a happy dance! Yippee!!!!! It sounds like 2 more months of cold for us here. Tammy, you made my day with the fur lined bikini comment....I'm with you all the way!
Tammy, I love your socks! Great job! Last winter a friend tried to teach me to knit a pair & the poor lady's hair turned grey right in front of me with frustration. She crosses the street when she sees me coming! My limit is a work scarf that's a mile long with lumps to boot! LOL
Great find with the boxes.
Judy, hoping your Mamma is having a better day.
Peg, the bird pic is beautiful! Hope you're feeling OK today!

You ladies always have such yummy sounding teas that I thought I'd share a recipe with you for homemade Chai Tea....
Put about 5 bags of black tea with 7 cups of water
Add: 1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
2 cardonman pods
10 whole cloves
12 whole pepper
a lg piece of fresh ginger
Simmer about 5 minutes/strain/Add: 1 c milk & brown sugar to taste.

Made buckets of this over the yrs. Love it hot or cold. I'm not great at following recipes so it's basically a little of this or that when it comes time for spices. Can't remember where the recipe came from.
Have a warm day
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  10:18:28 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone has been busy like me!! Here's some pictures that might cheer everyone up:
Me and our first bull calf I mentioned before.

This is our second calf and her momma. It's a heifer and she is so full of it! She was bawling and throwing her head around when she was only half way out of her mom! Never seen that before. She was up running around in no time. We're working on a name for her. Her grandma's name is chocolate, her mom's name is chocolate chip but we call her C.C. I'm thinking cocoa for the baby, but Nathan wants to think about it for a bit.

This little guy was born last night. He's so sleepy I couldn't get him to keep his eyes open long enough to take a picture :)

And these cute little boogers were born Sunday. There's 2 ewes here that are my nephew's 4-H project. They both ended up having 2 lambs each on Sunday! One ewe was a perfect momma. One wasn't so good. We had to halter her up and milk her into a bottle to feed the 2 little ones. We then brought one into the house to warm up. By the evening she was getting the hang of it. Now everyone is doing really good. There's 3 girls and a boy.

Well, hubby and my grandpa just pulled in so I better go get lunch for them. Hopefully I'll be back more often, but we have 3 more cows due this week yet so I'm going to be busy!!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  11:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Heather thanks for the pics! Your calves are so cool, awesome and adorable all rolled into one!! :) Reminded me when I was a kid and my grandpa would get calves each spring to raise as beef cattle. They were always fun..and grandpa would let us kids feed 'em with a bucket with a nipple attached. But sadly with beef cattle, sometimes farm kids just have to learn to not get TOO attached! :)

Judy (SK) thanx for the recipe....will have to try.

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  11:09:32 AM  Show Profile

Well My Porchies...Here is my Spring Lamb!!! LOL 10 months old and so much fun!

Heather...loved your pictures!!! Thanks for sharing! It must be so fun watching all the babes
being born on your Farm. We lived on a Farm when I was a girl on top of Whiskey Hill in Libby
Montana. My parents weren't Farmers at all but had the chance to rent this big ol' piece of
property with a Smallish Farmhouse and we all loved the wide open space and the barn and out
buildings. Those were the best years of my growing up. We had farm animals like chickens, rooster,
and barn cats. The neighbors cows would get out sometimes and come visit us. I remember they
scared the day-lights out of us kids because they were so big and we were so little. LOL

I have always been a Farmgirl at HEART but once my parents moved us a couple of States and into
The Burbs...I found I loved City Life just as much as Farm life. So, I have remained a City Girl
with Farmgirl Roots. LOL Truth be known I am allergic to all Farm Animals. And I do mean all!!
And much of the grasses associated with Farms. It's crazy!!! Good thing the parents brought us off
the Farm.

My Country Treasure Judy...my goodness I love having you on The Porch. And look at you with your
home-made Chai Tea Recipe. I guess that is a real good difference between a Farmgirl and A City girl...
If I want Chai Tea at home...I just go buy a box of it from Barnes and Noble. LOL That Recipe sounds
like we could brew up a batch for everyone on The Porch and still have plenty left over to keep in
our refrigerators. But I know what a good cook you are and that you are a True Blue Farmer and you
would never buy what you can make yourself. My City Slicker side says "too much work for me!" LOL
I just like sitting on My Porch and watching all you Farmgirls work hard. I admire what you all get
done in a days time. More than I do in a Week, I'm sure.

Herblady Judy...I never think about mixing teas or coffees like some of you girls do. I think I must
be a "Purest". I like (or sometimes don't like) what they are suppose to be. When I order teas...I
either like them and keep them or I hate them and give them to someone I know likes similar flavors.
When you suggested Iced Tea with the Lemon and add some mint with it...I'm thinking, "Wow, my mind
never would have gone there." You are much more creative than me. I guess if I buy something I don't
like I will send it to you!!! How about that!

It is still raining here. So Sick of it. But I will make it to Bible Study tonight because my body is
acclimating to it after several days of it. Monday was a beautiful sunny day and tomorrow is suppose
to be sunny again...and so is half of Saturday...and then back to the rain for the weekend.

OK...Bunny, Teacher Tammy, Cherime, Patsy and a few more of you...I am rounding up the Posse tonight.

Have a Great Day my Lovelies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Edited by - LadyInRed on Mar 07 2014 09:51:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  1:42:07 PM  Show Profile
Hey Chicklettes,

Haven't had a good day. The propane ran out. The gauge on our tank is broken and dh thought we had enough. Wrong. No hot showers, ho coffee, couldn't clean today. It's been cold. Took the woodstove and fireplace forever to warm up the house. Dh brought home a gas grill cylinder to hook up. promptly broke the copper tubing from the tank to the regulator. He had another regulator with a tube, so it got fixed. I don't think I'll ever thawed out. Missing half of a curtain rod. Had to buy another so I can finish hanging curtains. Just not a good day. Sorry Chicklettes. But I had to vent.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  1:53:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lorie - what an awful day - so sorry! Seems like when one thing goes wrong it just multiplies into more things going wrong.

Off to Lancaster County (Amish country) tomorrow with one of my good friends. We go every year for a big quilt auction. It is a fund raiser for the local fire company. The quilts are made mostly by Amish ladies, and the profits are split between the quilters and the fire company. This is "girls weekend out" - the men stay home and do whatever it is men do when the women aren't around - LOL!!!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

My blog: finallyafarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2014 :  07:34:07 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy virtual porch sitting as I do not have my swing up on my porch as it is winter and I miss it, so it is fun to come here and chat with all of you.

I have been busy the past few days as our son is home with us as we celebrate his 38th birthday, it is such a joy to have him home.
Peggy, your Spring lamb is so sweet, looks like a happy baby.
Heather, love all your pictures too, and yes your sweeties look so happy and comfy too.
Laurie, how I was there with you in Amish country to go to the big quilt auction, I have been to Kolona Iowa to the Amish community there in fact I have been twice. It is wonderful as well as Amana, Iowa which I enjoyed as well. But, on my bucket list is to go to Lancaster County and visit and see the Amish Communtiy there, after reading so many books about it over the years I just have to spend a few days there one day. And, I love quilts!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone with family, friends and Be Happy.
Hugs,
Debbie

"BE KIND TO PEOPLE BECAUSE EVERYBODY YOU KNOW IS ENGAGED IN REALLY TOUGH BATTLES."

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2014 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Hello porchies,
It has been a busy week at school. I was blessed with another butterfly this week which puts me up to 25 between 3rd and 4th. I was not thrilled to say the least. But it is out of my control. I would love to put up a closed sign on my door. Somehow I don't think my principal would like that.

Today we had off for a short break until our Easter break. It was nice to not have to be at school. I spent the day with hubby, baked a cake, and enjoyed afternoon tea as it was meant to be.

Not much else here today. I heard the posse was getting saddled and Lord knows they mean business when in hot pursuit. lol So Peggy here I am and I will try to come to the porch more often. lol

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Today Is The Day
http://todayanewday.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2014 :  9:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
Peggy.....now that little smile will melt hearts!!!!! What a cutie!!!!!!
Heather.....love the babies!!!!! Miss calving but not the 2am & 4am checks so I just buy a few babies now to keep me hopping. TThen buy grassers later on. There's such a peaceful feeling listening to a ewe with her babies!
Lorena...hope things are looking up! Bad days are just "bad"!
Luanne....gosh, lady I'm right there with you! Amish quilt auction.....dream of mine! Sounds absolutely fun.
Tammy....my hat goes off to ALL teachers!
Doing a happy dance with warmer weather blowing in. Just about feels like a tropical island! Just might have to cut down to 4 layers of clothes. LOL
Starting pepper & egg plant seeds tomorrow. We love gardening & have 3 of them. Plus cheap on the food bill. How's the food prices you way? Ours are going up higher again! Seems like the stores always has a excuse to raise their costs but being farmers we sure don't see it on our end too often.
Hope everyone stays warm
Hugs Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2014 :  9:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Hi you chickadee's!

Finished training to be a Hospice volunteer. I miss my patients so this is a good and needed alternative. For me and the patients. I used to do hospice when I was still working.

A friend, that was getting chemo when I was, died from colon cancer. One time we were sitting next to each other getting the poison pumped in and we were to loud and got reprimanded.We were laughing to much! He will be missed. No more suffering for him, PTL!

Judy, Poor Mama. When I worked in the OR we would have people with a stone blocking a salivary gland. Let's pray it's that. Dry mouth...could be.

Peggy, How beautiful your lamb is! He's getting so big. Time sure does fly.

TLT, It's a good thing the year is going toward the end and not starting!LOL! Hope your new BF is a calm one!

Heather, I just love your babies! How blessed you are to be living the real FG life. That farm really looked good. Did Hubby go look at it?

PGT, Love the boxes. Love to go to thrift stores too. When I was working there was a really good and reasonable one near work. I went in at least 2 times a week. I go to another really nice one. Every thing is clean and you don't have to be afraid to touch the stuff for fear of catching something! LOL! Good luck with your mother. Usually in order to get any help your mother would have to reside in the state at least 6 months I think. Maybe you should start the process where she is now. I'm sure she has to qualify for some things. It's a role reversal. You are now doing the parenting!

Judy, I love Chai but never made it from scratch. I'll have to try it if I can find all the ingredients. Looks like our winter will be around for awhile too.

I'm going to sign off because I'm afraid I'm going to lose this post. My curser keeps flying all over the place!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  08:16:12 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies. Thought I'd jump on before I start getting busy today. I need to run out and do some errands soon. I got great news yesterday, they approved me to come home and work! I take my training Thursday and hopefully in about 2 weeks will be able to work from home. It depends on how fast my computer and equipment gets built and sent. I'm so excited! My anxiety levels have been going through the roof with the noise level and the constant number of people walking past my cube. It wouldn't be so bad if I was facing out of my cube but I can't stand to have people at my back. So this is a huge win situation for me.

I've gotten quite a bit done on my rug but ran out of the green I was using before I finished up the row. Not sure what I'm going to do now. I'll stop at the thrift shops and see if I can find something similar but will probably have to pull out about two-thirds of the row and use another color. It's taking more fabric than I thought it would. Fortunately I picked up a dark red sheet last week at the thrift store that I can add in for a pop of color, just need to rip it into strips today.

I've been reading blogs this morning and found 2 recipes I hope to make tomorrow. Breakfast will be a Bacon Jalapeno Popper Quiche and supper will be Chicken gyros with a cilantro yogurt sauce. I love jalapeno poppers. M* said earlier this week he's missing gyros and wanted to make some soon, so finding a chicken gyros recipe was awesome.

PeggyAnn - The coop is called Bountiful Baskets. I know they're in the midwest region covering several states. I agree with you, a man is definitely not the answer to the problem with my mom. Knitting socks isn't that bad although if you have arthritis the small needles might be an issue. I recommend using cable needles if you do try instead of double pointed. I know M*'s mom still knits socks and she has arthritis but it would probably depend on the type and degree you have. I highly suggest taking a class to learn though. I took one at our local knit shop in Michigan for my birthday present to myself.

Judy - It might be a farmgirl thing to collect boxes lol. With my silly cat I have to come up with ideas to keep things contained. I need to find a large basket with a lid to put my larger knitting/crocheting projects in so she will stop trying to carry off my balls of strips or yarn. It's hilarious watching her try to carry a huge 5" ball of fabric strips that's too heavy for her to pick up. Unfortunately then she starts unraveling it to move it. I've heard that knitting socks is either an addiction or something you hate LOL I may have to try your tea recipe. A box of my Tazo concentrate that lasts about 3 days for me is nearly $4 now. It's a matter if I can find all the ingredients locally or if I'll have to mail order.

Heather - those calves are beautiful and so sweet! I miss not being able to go to my uncle's farm and see the calves.

Okay, I need to get moving so I can get to the post office. M* had to go into work this morning so I'm not sure if he'll be back for lunch or not. Hope everybody has a great weekend!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  09:24:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm soooooooooo excited. Besides another new calf (black and white bull this time) I think spring is inching closer!! It was 40 yesterday and it felt AMAZING!!! You know it's been a cold winter when you're excited about 40! It's cloudy today, but currently 41 so I decided to get started on loosing the 10 pounds worth of jiggle I've accumulated over the last year or so and I went for a run/walk. I'm so out of shape and I don't want to get discouraged so I found a program for my MP3 player called 1st day to 5k that is 9 weeks of run/walking so that by the end of week 9 I should be able to run for 30 minutes without walking. It's supposed to be done 3 days a week. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can do it. It feels kind of like I'm slacking because I used to run a lot. Unfortunately thought I haven't ran for a while now. I worked up to a marathon in the spring of 2010 then kinda got burnt out. Since then I think the dryers been shrinking all my clothes! They don't fit so well anymore.

Anyway, no - hubby hasn't made it to look at a farm yet. The realtor said they were due for some more bad weather this weekend. (My FIL always likes to go along and he works.) If all goes well he'll be going next weekend.

Thanks for all the comments on the calves. They're my favorite part of dairy farming :) Although Peggy - you're spring lamb is way cuter!!! Luckily we've not had any 2 and 4am checks yet. So far the latest was 11.

Debbie - I would love to go back to Lancaster county! Holmes county in Ohio is great too. It's not quite as "modern" as Lancaster county. It's funny because there's an Amish community by my Grandpa's and they're not at all into businesses for tourists. Their places aren't nearly as pretty. They're very old order. They don't even have covered buggies.

Tammy - I would love to learn to knit socks - eventually! I'm getting pretty good at simple dishcloths.

Well, I need to go check on lunch. I hope everyone has a great weekend and that spring is arriving for you all too!!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  09:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Snowy and cold here today so I have been updating my blog. I am not a good blogger, I can post pictures well enough but trying to figure out what to write about those pictures is a challenge for me. I do not have the gift of words as a lot of my farmgirl sisters do.

Oh Heather I would have loved to have had a farm with all the animals to go with it when hubby and I were younger, but it was not mean't to be I guess. Now I enjoy the farms through all of you farmgirls out there with all the wonderful, fabulous and cute farm animals.

Tammy isn't making socks fun, I have made 5 pairs in the past 8 years or so and have not knitted one pair for myself. Heather you are right dishcloths are simpler and faster. I love joining in on the Dishcloth swaps that Diana does every month they are so much fun.

Time for me to get lunch as well.

Have a beautiful day everyone and Be Happy.

Hugs,
Debbie

"BE KIND TO PEOPLE BECAUSE EVERYBODY YOU KNOW IS ENGAGED IN REALLY TOUGH BATTLES."

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  10:08:16 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Porchies...JUST A REMINDER TO SET YOUR CLOCKS AHEAD TONIGHT!!!!

It is amazing what happens when I start rounding up the Posse!!! LOL

I forgot that Herblady Judy and Patsy are visiting this weekend...so they have a free "Get out of Jail" Card. LOL

Teacher Tammy...It is terrible how crowded class rooms are these days. Seems crazy to you teachers I know...but when
I think back to my school days (in grade school) our class rooms were always 25-30 kids per class room. NOT IDEAL that
is for sure. It was hard to get individual help if you needed it. But I also know that a lot of schools in our area
put the older kids in with the younger kids to help the teachers. It is a mentoring program. Say the six graders who are
top of their class go and mentor the third and fourth grades. They call Them "Buddies" and they befriend them and help
them with subjects they are having difficulty with. Do you have such a program at your school?

Hi Mel...you and I must have been posting at the same time the other day.

Lorena...I love your "Chicklettes" name for us. Too Cute! I am so sorry you where having a "No Good, Really Bad Day" the other
day when you posted. It just seems like some days...everyone gets out on the wrong side of the bed and nothing goes right
all day long. I hate those kind of days. I did learn early in life though that The Mother/Wife of The House can set the mood
for her entire family by how she gets up each day and starts the day for everyone. I was always the Optimistic, Spring out of
bed and hit the floor running type of person. I loved mornings and I rose happy and cheerful...so that helped a lot with my
boys who were NOT really morning people...and usually hated having to crawl out of bed. LOL ~ Hope this weekend is a nice one for
you. Calming and relaxing! YOU DESERVE IT! And you can ALWAYS VENT on the Porch. It is a safe place to do that.

Luanne...oh, I am so jealous of you girls who get to visit the Amish Communities. I can only read about them and live vicariously
through you girls. I was able last Spring to Barter with a gal for an Amish Wedding Ring Table Runner and it is my only TRUE
Piece of Amish Quilting. And I Love It. I would love to have an entire quilt made by The Amish. Oh, well...in my dreams!!!

My Country Treasure Judy...Yes, My Spring Lamb has the Sweetest Smile in the World. Talk about melting hearts...and he is a really
happy baby (takes after his mama that way) but he also has a serious contemplative side to him (from his daddy). My son also
has a great sense of humor too. But Elijah has the kind of laugh that you just wish you could bottle and sell. If he starts to
laugh...he just makes you laugh...it's so contagious. The other day when I had him...Snickers barked really loudly and I thought
it might have scared Elijah...so I looked over at him and he just started laughing at the dog....it was so funny. ~ Glad to hear
that you are getting some warmer weather. No dragging out the bikini just yet though! (+: Love you girl. Red

Debbie...happy that you and county treasure are coming back to The Porch more!!! I well imagine that you two probably can relate
to the snowy and cold winters. Around here we just put on our Duck Suits and go splashing through the rain puddles. We are suppose
to get high winds and heavy rain down pours tonight. I started feeling it in my back last night. ~ Well, my new stove has been
sitting in the Hall Way for 3 days now...I hope they get it put in today sometime...but probably not until Monday. The maintenance
guy said he needed to borrow a dollie. You would think they would keep one on-site but I guess not.

Darlene...I am just so happy for you that you are going to be doing Hospice. When will you actually start? How does DH feel about
you going back to work? I think it will be a win/win situation for ALL.
Couldn't we all have fun going to Thrift Stores and Antique Malls together? NOW That would be a blast!!!

Prairie Gypsy Tammy...I will check and see about our co-op's here. I know we have a good sized one down town but I have never
been in there before. My youngest son has though so maybe I will hitch a ride with him sometime. ~ That is awesome that you
get to work from home. My oldest son does that...and because he gets so much more done at home...it frees up some time to help
his dad...down at their Music Studio in Seattle. My sons job pays very well...and he has turned down other job offers because
he wouldn't have such a sweet deal anywhere else. He has it very good indeed. In fact my other boys are jealous! LOL My
youngest son makes good money but works four times harder than the oldest son. They are both white collar workers and the middle
son is blue collar and doesn't do as well financially but he doesn't have a wife or kids...so, he is able to make it on
a smaller income. Even our minimum wage jobs here pay $10.00 an hour which is higher than most of the Country.

Well, DH just got up and wants to go to BnN. So, I guess it isn't going to be a Pajama Day After All.
More Later girls.

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Mar 09 2014 12:57:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  11:39:41 AM  Show Profile
HELLO Everyone! It's so nice to be back here! Life is happening and I haven't been on this site in a year or so...I use to be so involved and now there are so many new farmgirls for me to get to know. I'm gonna go grab me a hot cup of tea and swing awhile with you ladies :-)

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  8:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Peggy,
DH was like,"I don't want you going in people's houses with all the crazies out there. I don't want you driving all over the place." I was like,"Really? Problem is that you don't get to dictate what and where I go." He happened to be with me when I had my interview and when the the woman asked how he felt I told her the truth. She called him in and they talked awhile and he's better about it now. First of all, I would NEVER put myself at risk. I did home care nursing for years and would get in some really awful houses. I wouldn't even wear my coat in some places. My husband asked me if I was going to be undressing on the outside porch again. I've done that on occasion also! LOL! This is an unpaid volunteer position. It will provide the families with a break and hopefully I will be a comfort to the patient. I get my 2nd TB test this week and then I'm good to go. The concern from the coordinator was that I am so close to my own diagnosis. I told her that I didn't freak out when I got my diagnosis and I didn't plan on freaking out in the near future either! I love the dish cloths you made about 3 years ago. They still look like new. I use them all the time. Thought I'd throw this in because the others are talking about them. I can't knit but I can crochet. What kind of yarn do you use? Maybe I'll try to make some!

Have any of you watched the show The Incredible DR Pol? He's a vet from Michigan.

Heather,
It was in the 40's today and very nice. It's been so cold that it felt like a heat wave. I even took the dog out without my coat on. When you get a farm will only you and your DH go or will other family
go too?

PGT,
Lucky you to be able to work from home. My daughter did it and loved it. Too much drama in the offices anyway!

Hi to everyone.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1413 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1413 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  9:42:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi! Just want to stop and say Hi! Sounds like everyone is busy and doing well. I have a new adventure Im the newest sale rep for Cottage Garden Tea company. We sell loose leave tea we carry about 100 different blends. We carry green ,black, oolong, white as well herbals. Each bag of tea brews 48 cups when you brew twice. If you check it out and place a order tell them Ruth sent you . I will selling my tea at the local farmers market till we move and will pick up at the local market there. Have a great stock for cash and carry only . Dislike the order and wait deal.
The count down is one for the move about a 160 days till we go. Im trying to pack and downsize which is a lot work still having trouble with that task as not sure what to and not what to keep in some rooms. Also am packing up stuff for a booth at the local antique mall when we get settled. When we get to the farm Im going to open a old fashion general store as we are in a tourist area and am 6 miles off the main road. All is so exciting. Have a great nite and I will check in soon!!1

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  11:46:37 AM  Show Profile
Darlene - for now it will just be hubby and me. In a couple years my in-laws retire and who knows what they will do. He talks of building a cabin on our farm, she talks of living 6 months with us and 6 months with my husbands sister. My sister-in-laws family has talked of moving to find some better jobs, but they moved back from TN about 6 years ago when their son was 5 to be closer to family. It's really hard to say. Right now my MIL and FIL live across the yard and my SIL's family live in town about 5 miles away. Some days I think it would be great if they all came. Other days I want my own place without anyone around for miles!!! My family (except for my grandpa) is all in Michigan and they're already used to me being away. None of them will be moving. I think for my in-laws it will also depend on if we have kids. We were waiting until we moved and now that we'll be 35 this year I just don't know. I want them (wanted 2 or 3 before I was 30!) hubby says he's not ready. I pray about it and the farm and try to let God figure it out. My problem is how do you know if it's God's will or just hubby being stubborn?

We had another red and white heifer yesterday. It's the first calf for this cow and she kicks a lot!!! Hopefully she'll settle down real soon. It's a bit cooler today - only in the 30's but it's so sunny :) It's supposed to be in the 50's the next couple days!!! We might have to get the bikini's out Judy!!!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'll have some lemon bars ready in about an hour.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  12:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Happy Sunday ladies,
It is a balmy 60 degrees here and I just love it. It has been so long since we have had warmth. I just sat outside with my tea and let my face soak in the sun. Wonderful way to begin the day.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I just lost my entire post. Be back later. I am going to sulk over a pot of tea.
Love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Today Is The Day
http://todayanewday.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page