Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1407 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1407 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  8:17:19 PM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn - will continue to keep you all, including your son, in our prayers! Thank you for the birthday wishes :)

Patsy - thanks for sharing the birthday cake on the porch - it was delish :D

Shannon - thank you for the wishes! Just curious - what do you plan on doing with the ashes?

Catherine - thanks for the wishes! And, I'm truly happy to hear things are looking a little better for you :) Will be praying for your full recovery!

Still putting the house back together - put up curtains today. My in-laws are still here, and I believe they are leaving tomorrow. We've had a nice visit - which I'm truly thankful to the Lord for. I'm off to bed soon - need to have a good nights rest before tomorrow - where I have a big day of cleaning ahead of me again! Last week I was in so much pain after my 8 hour kitchen cleaning (I have fibro) so I'm hoping tomorrow I'll be OK for cleaning.

Good night all! Sweet dreams to all - and warm hugs sent to you all :D

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  10:26:22 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Sabrina! What a beautiful baby. I'd love to hold him after I warm up a bit!
It's really cold and windy again. We get a day or two that it warms up (to about 20) then right back down it goes. Hopefully spring is on it's way. I hear that we have a chance of rain on Sunday or Monday. I bet by Wednesday we're back to the teens. Send some of your snow this way Judy. We only have a couple inches. Hubby wants to get in another snowmobiling adventure. His best friend bought 4 newer snowmobiles and they've only been able to go riding once so far.

Catherine - So sorry to hear about your kids and momma goat! It's so hard when you loose one. I pray there are no problems with the rest of your herd. How many do you have?

Tammy - no new one yet. I'm guessing about 3 days from now we'll have our first calf. Momma's looking like it's just about time :) Then we have about a week before the next one's due. I don't want to talk about after that. I have a feeling I'm going to get a bit overwhelmed for a couple weeks. It'll all be worth it though. I just pray this weather straightens out. Last year was tough with winter holding on so long. How's your pup doing? Hopefully your candles will be safe from now on.

Happy belated birthday Mel. Did you do anything fun to celebrate? Thanks for the tea and cake Judy - delicious!

Peggy - Hope you're feeling more rested now. It's amazing how much little ones can wear you out!

Joyce - I'm sorry I didn't get to read all the posts I've missed to get caught up yet, but I'd love to see a picture of your pantry. Hubby has a list of things he wants in a farm. I have a very simple list of what I desire, but a big pantry full of my own canned goods is on the list!

Well, my tea water is boiling and the dryer is done. Better get to work!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  11:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
We got 8 inches of snow, but it's half melted today.

.. and this is the view from my back porch early this morning looking at the mountains all cloudy..

Thomas Edison: "Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." :)
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  3:40:12 PM  Show Profile
hello ladies,
It is a whooping 0 degrees today and let me tell you a pot of tea is not enough. I practically sprinted with my kiddos to lunch. We walk two blocks to another school for lunch. Spring can not get here soon enough.
Thanks so much for the compliments on my boys. I am rather proud of them.

Joyce happy belated birthday.

Peggy keeping your stepson in prayer.

Well just wanted to pop in for few minutes. Left you some chocolate tea and brownies. Can you tell I am in chocolate mood. Jax is thinking I need to play so I best fly out of here. Got supper, laundry, and some papers to grade.

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  7:26:47 PM  Show Profile
.....Luanne, I haven't forgotten your question about where to stay in the Amish area, I'm just doing a little research for you. There's a cute little B&B on old 39 that I can't remember the name of, but it's simple and woodsy looking. Gonna ask hubby if he remembers it. We spend a lot of time in that area in the summer and fall. Maybe we can meet somewhere. When are you planning your visit?
Patsy, wow, you did get some serious snow didn't you? You can't even see the mountains out back. Wow! You should post a summer pic of that same view so the gals can get an idea of that view.
We got another 1 1/2 in. Snow today too. But that was before I got ux...between 5 am and 10 am. The rest of the day was very cold but sunny. It got up to a whopping 25 but that wind chill was vicious. My cheeks burned when I went out to sweep the sidewalks.... and my face too!hahahahahahaha(some of my 'crazy Judy' humor there... just for peg)** snicker-snort*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  10:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Judy...you just knew I was going to ask about the rest of your face!!! LOL Glad you and your sissy are
loving your snow!!! You must have very dry snow if you can just sweep it off. Nice!!! Ours (in those rare
times we get it) is usually always very heavy and wet. Good Snowman making snow! Snowball fights can be
a killer though. They pack well but often feel like you got splatted with a rock.

Teacher Tammy...thanks for remembering Daniel in your prayers. ~ Oh the Chocolate Tea sounds wonderful...I
will have a cup...but will pass on the brownies as I just ate some Carrot Cake.

Patsy...your snow pictures are beautiful!! I enjoy looking at them. I love snow like we get here...just a weeks
worth and then it's gone. The snow on our Mt.s is breathtakingly beautiful. Love to see it everyday in the
winter. Makes the Mountains look so majestic.

Heather...it doesn't sound like Spring is coming your way any time soon. We have so many of our Spring Trees in
bloom right now. The Ornamental Pink Cherry Blossoms are my favorite. The Camellia Bushes are in Bloom as well as
all the Spring flowers. I am loving driving around our area and breathing in their sweet fragrance of Spring.
The rain came back today...so my Fibro is flaring but the rain is suppose to go away for the weekend and then
back on Monday. So, I will get a couple days of Sunshine in between and that always helps. ~ Can't wait to see
your new calve pictures this year. Always enjoy your farm pictures.

Well, I just got back from Bible Study...it was another good night but I think 1/4 of my girls were gone with sickness
or a couple are on Caribbean Cruises. Nice way to enjoy Retirement! ~ I got home and hadn't eaten all day because I had to
sleep during the day in order to be able to make it to teach Bible Study tonight...my husband had gone to KFC and so that was waiting for me when I walked in the door. Bless his heart...I hate to cook at 9:30 at night.
We rarely ever go KFC any more...but boy did it taste good tonight. Then I had my last piece of a small carrot cake.
I am Happy full of God's Love and Happy full of food and now I just want to get in my PJ's and relax.

Tomorrow I go watch my boy...in two separate shifts mind you. Mommy is going for a Mani-Pedi (birthday gift from her
sis) from 1-3 right at Elijah's nap time. So I will go over there and either nap too or read. And then I go back
at 6:30 while mommy and daddy go out to dinner and a movie. Which was a Gift from one of my Son's Clients...so cost night out for them. Elijah will be up then and we can play for a few hours before bed time.
He was at Bible Study tonight...and I think he was a little too "Cute" and "Funny" and was distracting my girls from listening. LOL But they love it when Sadie brings him on occasion. And so do I.

Ok My Lovelies...hope everyone has a Great Friday.

Hugs and blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Feb 26 2015 10:22:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2015 :  10:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
TLTammy: I'm always in the chocolate mood! Thanks for the tea and brownies..mmmmmm

We couldn't sweep our snow.. we just watched it melt... more grass showing each day.

Thomas Edison: "Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." :)
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2015 :  1:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Peggy - I can't wait for the smell of spring. Around here it's the crocuses that get me excited. They usually bloom and then get snowed on. They're the first flower of spring for me. Your trees sound beautiful. I'd love to see a picture if you take any.

Patsy - Beautiful snow pictures. Is it all gone now?

Tammy - thanks for the brownies. I'm in a chocolate mood too, unfortunately I'm out so your brownies are much appreciated!

Well girls, I was wrong on my 3 day guess. I told Joanie yesterday morning that Sunday (her actual due date) was supposed to be warmer so she should have her baby then. She decided about 9:45 last night was a good time. It was a whopping 5 degrees out! At least it wasn't windy. She had a beautiful baby girl (GREAT way to start the calving season!) We named her Jasmine. Momma did a great job of licking her off and taking care of her last night, but this morning her ears were frozen. We brought her in the milk house to warm up while we were milking. Then she got to stay in the laundry room for a couple hours to finish warming up. She tried to walk up the 3 steps into the kitchen :) It was a bit to much for her to make it. She's an ornery little one. She's now doing great out in her calf hutch.

Joanie and Jasmine

Jasmine in the milk house

Jasmine snug as a bug in a rug in the laundry room (while she's behaving)

Our next one is due March 8th. Hopefully it's warmer by then.
Well, I'm going to do some searching for a good farm for sale before milking. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2015 :  3:51:51 PM  Show Profile
I am sure I am going to forget people/posts in this, but please bear with me!

Catherine - glad your knee is getting better, though it must seem agonizingly slow for you! Have you had any more goats? I so hope it is going more smoothly!

Joyce - As I am pretty sure everyone knows, we plan to move in a little less than two years, to Wyoming :) Oh how I am looking forward to that!!! Anyways, the kids big thing with losing Stephie was they wanted her to move to Wyoming with us... so we will be taking her ashes with us and starting a "pet cemetery." She will be buried on our property in Wyoming that we dream of buying <3

Peggy - I hate that it is going to be unfair. Without trying to get political, I really wish the government would let us, the "common people" to live our lives how we choose and quit dictating what is "best." Scary stuff!

Patsy - love love love your picture!!!! I adore the pictures of snow! My kids are still praying for snow!!! Sadly, we probably will not get any this year!!!

TLTammy - Chocolate tea??? Oh that sounds yummy! I didn't know there was such a thing!?!? That is like a combination of my two favorite things!!! And brownies - oh brownies!!!! Yum - I surely hope there are some left!!!!

Heather - what a sweet sweet baby girl!!!! Is it normal for their ears to freeze? What do you do to thaw them and prevent frostbite? Where are you looking to move to?

Well things were finally warmer here today.. though tomorrow we are dropping a little again. Why oh why can we not have a warmer weekend so I can plant more!?!? We do have peas FINALLY popping up, but they'll have to be pulled in just a couple months, so I doubt I will get anything from them!!! My lettuce is starting to look pretty good though, so I am excited about that! My onions have done NOTHING! I long for scallions, but just have not had any luck growing them down here. I'm not sure what the issue is! Took S6 to speech therapy today. I have been getting a little frustrated with her therapist - she has a new one (this was her third or fourth week) and her therapist seems to think it is "play time." I cannot seem to get it through her head that I bring S6 to therapy to WORK! I can - and do - play games with her at home! Grrrr so frustrating! I'll probably quit here soon anyways, with soon needing to add OB appointments. Come April, we will be going to those appointments. I might even start towards the end of March... just debating if I really want to start that early or not!

My 20mo has been doing fantastic! Looking at her, it amazes me that she was once "failure to thrive." She has really "chunked up" and is running around like crazy! Her vocabulary simply astounds me - she is such a delight!

I've been spending a lot of time trying to study up on herbs and essential oils. Does anyone else get overwhelmed by the vast amount of information out there about health, healthy eating, and losing weight? Makes my head spin!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2015 :  6:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Shannon - it depends on your definition of normal. Sometimes the momma cow doesn't lick the ears all the way dry and if it's cold enough they can freeze. Usually it doesn't happen very often on our farm. Only 1 last year and hopefully only one this year. I should have towel dried her ears last night, but it totally slipped my mind. We've been trying so hard to buy a farm in ND and it's not working. I've been stressed and not sleeping the best so I didn't even think about the calves ears. I will from now on though. We brought her in the milk house (it's heated) and they warmed up very quickly. I don't think there will be any problems. We didn't need to bring her in the house, but we have a soft spot for the babies. And they make us so happy. We both kept walking out to the laundry room and watch her sleep for a minute. As for a new farm - almost anywhere. We just need one big enough to support our herd (enough land to grow all the feed we need) that's cheap enough we can afford it. And we need there to be a milk market in the area (a processing plant and milk hauling company).

Well, I need to get supper.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2015 :  9:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Heather...Oh, Jasmine is sooooooooooo pretty!!! Are all their noses pink when they are first born?
Boy, your weather is cold. I am surprised that more than just her ears didn't freeze in those temps.
Glad she is going to be fine...and don't beat yourself up over forgetting something...when you feel
so stressed and overwhelmed. Like you said, "You won't forget again." Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Just love to see them.

Why is it so hard to find farms where you want to move? Is it because of all the particulars you listed?
Around our area...so many farmers are selling off their land to developers. They can make better money that way
than farming any more. Which is pretty sad.

I will take some tree pictures this weekend.

Shannon...Your youngest must have been tiny huh...to be labeled "failure to thrive". My Grandson Elijah is a tiny
guy for his age. He is always on the low end of height and weight...but he is one smart little kid. My middle
son Patrick was like that when he was young. He only weighed 14lbs at 2 years old...he ate like a bird...but the Dr.
told me to just feed him what he wanted when he wanted it and he would soon grow out of being a shrimpy little kid.
It wasn't until the year he went from 6th to 7th grade that he grew 6 inches that summer (in three months time).
He is 35 now but he is the smaller of my 3 boys. He is only about 5ft 7" and the other two are just under 6ft.
For many years he had little man syndrome. I remember one summer going to the Library researching all the famous
little men of the world...just to prove to him that stature didn't matter.

Well the Federal Prosecutor offered my Stepson a plea deal of 4 years in Federal Prison/with a Felony Criminal Record.
I don't think my stepson will take that...as He doesn't feel that he did anything wrong...and he feels he has to stand
up against the corruption in our Country. We can't make that decision for him...but it is not an easy one. 4 years is
better than 37 but the Judge can decide to make it even more than 4 years...as she has the last say. And this Judge does
not like our son at all...so, I'm sure she would add more years on...like maybe up to 7 or 8. What I don't understand is
how our Judicial system can force innocent people to plead guilty for lesser time. 3 other People had to take plea deals
to get no Jail time that means they all had to lie (by their very own admission)our DIL being one of them and if they do not say "Exactly" what the prosecution wants them to say in court their Plea Deals are nullified. That is so Corrupt.
But we highly encouraged our daughter in law to make the deal because she needs to raise our 10 year old grand-daughter.
We can't have both parents in prison and no one to Raise Sabrielle. As I've stated before...It is ALL in God's hands. But Shannon...those Essential Oils you are interested in...The FDA is already trying to ban the selling of those.

Watched my sweet grandson this after noon for 4 hours and was suppose to watch him tonight but My Fibro was flaring to
badly and so Sadie's sister watched him. I hate to turn down Grandma time...but sometimes I have to.

Well girls...have a nice weekend and I will check back in tomorrow.

Love and Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2015 :  04:48:29 AM  Show Profile
Good morning y'all!

I've read through everyone's happenings. While life is never really 'normal', it seems like everyone is as close to normal as possible. So glad everything is going well for the most part.

My heart is heavy for you, Peggy, and your family. This court case decision is about to impact all your lives. I am amazed at your always happy attitude here on the forum while there is a storm in the background of your life. I will continue to pray.

A couple of you asked about my goats. I have one more mom ready to kid soon. It looks like she'll have twins. From the 4 that were born, one is thriving. He is a boy and is not of any value for me to keep. So, when he is old enough, he will go to auction. I'm hoping the babies due soon are girls.

I'm moving around faster more and more each day. My knee injury really hasn't kept me from doing most of my regular activities, just slower. I just push through.

Have a great weekend!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  12:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, I'm around and reading and praying for everyone. But I don't usually have both hands free at this point so I haven't made a post! I'll try to come back soon and add some more pictures, they are all on my phone and tablet right now so I need to sync everything up with my computer. We are doing well. Baby is sleeping pretty good for a newborn, better than my last two anyway! We are having a few hiccups with breastfeeding but I'm sure that will smooth out soon. Overall we have had a good first week. My mom will be here in a week too so everyone is excited about that (my mom is around the MJF chatroom too her name is SylviaE).

I got two tea packages last week, one from Peggy and one from Heather! I'm looking forward to trying those teas! And all of the tucks were so fun! Thanks ladies.

Well gotta go finish up some other stuff before baby wakes up and wants to eat again!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  12:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Happy Son-day gals. We got up to a new layer of snow(3 in) and it hasn't stopped yet. Hubby went out and used the snow-blower. Luckily it wasn't a wet snow so it whisked away easily. He filled the bird feeders, so all our feathered friends are fat n happy.
We are just hunkered down and enjoying his day off so we can be lazy and happy together. The snow isn't suppose to let up until sometime tomorrow.
Have a great day gals!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1407 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1407 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  2:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Jasmine is SO pretty, Heather!! Thank you so much for sharing the pics with us :)

Shannon - Wyoming is still too far away from me...lol! Maybe WA is better? :) It would be so fun, I think, to have you live closer :) How are you feeling these days? I've been praying for you :)

PeggyAnn - Truly, my heart is breaking over the news over your son. I will keep you all in my prayers. I had a friend in WA whose father also got falsely accused - same sort of scenario as your son, as he ended up having to plead guilty, even though he was innocent, and went to prison for 4 years as well. So sad. He wasn't even allowed out to attend her wedding :(

My in-laws went home yesterday, it was their longest visit yet. I'm so happy to have my family all to myself again :) We had Bible Study on Thursday...and I was under the understanding that between 4 and 8 people come. Well, 16!!! people came. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, and I'm not sure I can actually handle this every Thursday. I'm not sure how to bring that up either! I just felt it was a lot of cleanup and straightening up afterwards...and I was just so exhausted. I'm not sure I want this on my plate right now! We will have to see how things work out over the next couple of weeks, I suppose. Besides that, my sewing machine broke :( So sad!! I won't be able to get a new one for quite a while. My first sewing machine I got about 12 years ago, from my mom, as a gift. It was just an entry model sewing machine, so cheap, and I put that sewing machine through a lot with all the rag quilts and other sewing projects I put it through! I didn't realize they were for the casual sewer, but it sure did good throughout those years :) I literally burned it out! lol! Then my mom gave me her 20 year old embroidery Janome - she hadn't used it in about 5ish years (she has two others so she didn't need it) and the computer died on it. So, the repair is more than a new machine they told me, and not worth it. I won't be able to get an embroidery machine again, that's OK, but I had no idea that solid machines were so expensive. Not that they are hugely expensive...I just didn't expect them to be in the $700-900 range. For now - I work on all those other projects that need to get done :) Happy Sonday! It's not sunny here today - but it still is 10 degrees cel. On Saturday it's suppose to get up to 16!!! Crazy :) I feel like I haven't even had winter! Hugs to you all :) Joyce

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  4:37:25 PM  Show Profile
You girls should have seen little Jasmine this morning. It was windy last night so we put a board up in front of her hutch to keep it warm inside. It started snowing last night and continued all day, but it was warmer than it's been in a long time - with no wind. So, we moved the board when we went out this morning. She slept for a little while. Then I caught her peeking her head out looking at all the snow falling. It really was pretty since it wasn't windy - it slowly floated down. A minute later she comes out and starts sniffing the snow then jumping around in it like a little kid :) Made my day to watch her being silly. I bet we got 8-10 inches of snow between last night and today. Hubby's out snowmobiling with his friend. This is only the second time they've been able to go. I'm guessing they'll try to ride again tomorrow afternoon. By Tuesday we're supposed to be in the mid 40's. We're going to have a muddy mess!

Joyce - Sorry to hear about your sewing machine. It's crazy how expensive everything is getting. I'd love to have an embroidery one, but it's way down on the list. Mine was a Christmas gift from my mom too. I hope the bible study group works out for you. Maybe you could post a sign up sheet for help cleaning up every week.

Peggy - Sorry to hear of the troubles your stepson is facing. I'm praying for all of you. It's so hard to do what's right when the consequences are so harsh. Even 4 years in prison is terrible for a family to go through. ESPECIALLY when he didn't do anything to deserve it! I pray that God works a miracle to keep him out of prison. You asked about the pink noses. Jasmine's is a little more red than normal due to the cold, but if their coloring is white on the nose it's usually really pink at birth and gets a little lighter pink as they get older. The calves that are mostly white seem to be the most pink. Around their eyes too. The black patches can be on their noses too so some calves have a black (or red if they're red and white) noses. About the farm troubles. Mostly the problem is that it just costs more that we can afford right now. We should have bought a farm a long time ago. When we first started looking into buying one we could get a farm in Wisconsin that was an active dairy, ~150 acres for around $350,000. And there were a lot to choose from. The milk prices ,grain prices, and cattle prices have been very good the last couple years so there's not very many farms for sale any more in Wisconsin. The one's that are for sale now would be double what they used to be. Our land prices here in Ohio have gone from $3,500 an acre to over $10,000 an acre - for farming not developing. We can't spend that amount of money and make a profit. Now the milk and grain prices are falling and everyone's getting nervous, but the land prices haven't started falling yet. The banks on the other hand have decided farming it too high of a risk now. That's the problem we have in ND. First no one wanted to deal with us because we're dairy and not beef. Then we find a banker who used to milk and understands what we're going to do. Then when we call to set up an appointment for my husband to meet him and fill out the paperwork he says "Dairy farming is too risky and we're not taking on any new clients at this time". What bank doesn't want to take on new clients?????? There's an auction coming up in a few weeks just a couple miles from us. We called some lenders trying to see if we could get a ball park idea of what we could spend on the place (knowing it's going to be too much anyway). It seems now we're not worth anything because they won't use our cows and machinery as collateral. Only land - which we don't have any of. When we started milking the bank told us to buy the cows and machinery first and use that to buy the land. But in 2009 the dairy market crashed BAD! It was a horrible year. Cow prices fell to nothing, milk prices bottomed out. Drought made feed prices way too high. Lots of farmers went out of business that year, but couldn't make enough selling everything to pay off all their debt. That's why the banks won't use cows and machinery anymore. I really don't know what to do any more. I just pray a lot for patience and for God to show me what to do. I ask Him to help me stay positive and help my husband any way I can to also stay positive. It's really easy to get depressed because if this farm in ND doesn't work out we can't seem to come up with a plan B. I know God has a plan, so I just keep asking Him to lead me. It's the only thing I can do.

Well, that's enough about all of that. I need to hurry up and get the dishes washed so I can enjoy some quiet me time - I'm thinking a nice cuppa tea and a few hours lost in a good book are a great way to spend the evening. Have a great week everyone :)
Hugs!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  10:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi My Girlies...

It was a nice Lord's Day today!!! This entire weekend was spectacular weather.
Hubby is still not well...and I want him to go to The Dr. but he is afraid they
will put him back in the Hospital with Pneumonia....so he won't go. Men are so pig
headed sometimes. ~ Anyway this afternoon we went to lunch at a Buffet which really
is always a waste of money to my way of thinking...but hubby thought he could eat
better there as he has had no appetite as of late. Well, all it turned out to be was
a colossal waste of $32.00. He couldn't eat the one little plate of food he got
(but they did let him take it home...which the normally won't do) and I got one small
plate of food and it didn't even taste good to me...but I ate it. The Restaurant made
good money off of us today. BUT...I hate wasting good $ on mundane food. I would rather
go to a really nice Restaurant and feel like you enjoyed your expensive meal at least.

Catherine...you are right, this Court Case is going to impact all our lives. It's Huge!
I guess that some time the end of this week we will find out when the New Trial will
happen. ~ I hope your goats are girls...since that is what you want. ~ I'm also happy to
hear that your bad knee isn't slowing you down any. YOU GO GIRL!

Sabrina...that is funny that both of your Tea package got there the same week. LOL I think
my husband carried yours around for a couple of weeks before he finally took the time to go
to the Main Post Office. ~ Oh, we can't wait to see new pictures of Daniel Wayne. I can
well imagine you have your hands full...hard to type and hold on to an infant that is for sure.

Judy...Happy Sonday and Happy Snowday too!!! Hope you get enough to put a big fat SMILE across
your face!!! I am loving our Spring and all the flowering Trees, Shrubs and Spring flowers.
March came in like a Lamb this year.

Joyce...I bet it feels good to have your house and family back to yourself. Company is nice but
it is a disruption in Normal. ~ I am sorry your friend's dad went through a similar incident like
our son. Daniel just turned 45 today. I can't imagine jail time of any amount for him. My mind
just really can't go there.

Heather...thanks for explaining about the Pink/Red Noses. Do they turn black or brown as they get older?
Oh my your Farm Delima sounds like a heart and gut wrencher too. That is a whole big ball of STRESS
to deal with. Just as much as you can...Leave it in God's hands...and try not to take it all back and
worry about it. I know that is easier said that done...but it can be done believe me.

Well, off to check my FB and then go read. Had my tea all ready but may need another cuppa before bed.

Hugs and Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  07:00:30 AM  Show Profile
My goodness the porch has been quiet! Is everyone out enjoying the warmer weather? I'm partially teasing with that - as I know my sister is getting another almost foot of snow today! As of right now, the kids in that area are going to be in school until June 19th!!! That just seems terribly late in the year!!! But they have to make up all their "snow days" though some of those have been "ice days!" We have actually gotten a really warm spell.... been in the 80s the last few days! And yet tomorrow we will be in the 40s! Silly weather! My garden is not going to know what to think!

We have been having a horrible time with rats and mice lately! They are after the chickens' food. We have been setting traps with peanut butter, but somehow they are stealing the peanut butter, setting the traps off, but not getting caught!?!? We have to figure out how to get rid of them quickly, as I do not want snakes!!!! One of my biggest fears is a rattlesnake being in the yard, rattling its tail and my 20 month old thinking it is a toy! Or a copperhead!!! Ughhh!!!!

Heather - I didn't realize it was such a struggle to purchase land for a dairy farm. It makes no sense why the banks would not use your machinery and cows as collateral, as they are obviously worth a good bit of money!!! Our nation is making it increasingly difficult to farm! It is such a sad state we are in! Praying that God leads you to your dream farm!

Peggy - it wasn't that Aly was so tiny to begin with, it was that she dropped off the chart as she got older... a large part of that was my medical issues. With my electrolytes being so out of whack, it was causing hers to be off! Once I had my surgery, she picked up weight great!!!

Catherine - Have the latest babies come? Oh I hope they were healthy girls!!!!!

Sabrina - lovely for you to pop on here when you had a second :) How are the other children adjusting? Continuing to pray <3

Joyce - oh what fun we would have if we lived closer together! Unfortunately, Washington is not in the cards! We made a list of all our state "requirements" along with a list of all 50 states, and crossed the states off as they did not meet the requirements. Ironically, Wyoming and Texas were the only two that met the requirements! Since my youngest brother lives n South Dakota, we thought it might be nice to live in Wyoming near family :) You could always move closer to Wyoming.... ;)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  08:51:37 AM  Show Profile
Everything is going good. My youngest son is enthralled by the baby and just wants to cuddle and kiss him all the time-to the point that we have to tell him to give the baby some space! My oldest just loves babies and has been very helpful. My middle daughter wasn't quite sure at first but she is warming up to him. She lives in her own little world anyway! Otherwise we are just adjusting and still resting a lot. My mom gets here Sunday, and I need to spend next week slowly getting back into a normal routine and figuring out how to run the house with the new baby. Hubby goes back to work a week from Monday and so I'll basically be on my own at that point. Of course I'm not trying to jump back into a full routine we will likely have another couple weeks of the kids getting increased TV time and a smaller school load while we all continue to adjust.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  6:23:38 PM  Show Profile
hi ladies,
Just a quick fly in. Been a busy week. I missed school earlier this week due to the fact I finally caught what the butterflies have been passing in the classroom for months now. Today is the first day I feel better. We are practicing our school musical to perform on Sunday. Our music teacher does such a nice job. We will be glad when it is over so we can have "normal" school.

Peggy I am praying for your stepson. But as you say it is in God's hands.

Well everyone I hear my dryer and my tea kettle. Music to my ears!!!!!
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  12:04:55 AM  Show Profile
Evening My Porchies...almost Midnight but my day is just winding down.
It sure has been quiet on The Porch. I'm thinking that the snow is probably
getting to most of you by now. We on the other hand are having gorgeous
Spring weather. I had Bible Study tonight and it was a great time of being
in The Word and Fellowship. My Grandson was there again tonight and he was
getting a little rambunctious...but he has all these ladies wrapped around
his little finger. They love having him come. I think his mamma could use a
break however...my son needs to step up and keep his son at least every other
week and give his wife a little down time.

Sabrina...that is sweet that your youngest is so enthralled by his baby brother.
My youngest grand-daughter is that way with Elijah too. She almost smothers him with
all her well meaning attention. LOL Can't wait to see some new pictures. Will your
mom be a welcome help with the kids? I hope so. I bet she is excited to see the baby
and her other grandchildren too.

Teacher Tammy...I hope you are feeling better. Is it still snowing your way? I had a
friend post a picture on FB today...showing that they got snow again in Texas. She just
moved there about a month ago and they have already had snow twice. ~ Thank you for your
continued prayers for my step-son. It is all such a huge mess...if I think about it too
long it gives me a terrible headache.~ Has your Bible Study Group been able to continue
meeting with the snow etc?

Shannon...thanks for sharing about Aly and the weight loss situation. Glad that she is doing
so much better and you too. ~ I feel terrible for you about your rat and mice problem. If you
want maybe Judy would come help you with them...as she use to have pet rats. Just give her a
pipe and she can lead them away for you. LOL Just joshing Judy!!! I hate rodents...I would be
less afraid of the snakes than the rodents. I grew up in rattle snake country. They aren't my
favorite snake but I'm not scared of them. But a rat can send me into hysterics in nothing flat.

Well, I guess I better call it a night. I'm tired today. Time to get some beauty sleep.

More later. Hugs and Yawns,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Mar 06 2015 12:08:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  3:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals, I just remembered that I forgot to tell you that Mama & Daddy celebrated their 'First Anniversary in Paradise' on March 4th! How wonderful for them! I can just imagine the joy celebrated that day!
Here on earth, in this neck of the woods, we've been having mid twenties and lots of sun. The snow is melting just enough to make lots of ice when it freezes at night. Our driveway is treacherous. Still a thick blanket of snow out there.
I have 7 little daisies coming up in a big, plastic pretzel jar w/ lid. Makes a great terrarium. They're up an inch so far.
Well, time for a pot of tea and a good read.
Love yuns! Stay warm Porch-Buds!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Mar 06 2015 3:34:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  7:54:21 PM  Show Profile
Heather - I just knew you were expecting a calf LOL She's so cute too! I love watching animals play in the snow. It's so adorable. I LOVED my tea package. I have my little cow eraser sitting on my work computer. Every time I look at it I smile :O)

Sabrina - I'm glad to hear the kids are accepting the new baby well. Are you getting enough rest? I always found it more draining to have people around who were there to help me then if I was left alone.

Peggy - I hope something gives in your stepson's case.
Sorry for being MIA for so long but I'm still not feeling the best. I get fatigued so fast and I still am coughing. No fever or anything else, it's just lingering.

Weather is warming up. They way we might hit 50 this weekend. Of course I have to work tomorrow so I won't get to enjoy any of it :O( Today was so warm we had water puddles and mud all over the place. If it stays this warm all weekend I doubt any snow will remain since we don't have a lot. I'm sure we'll get hit with a good storm yet though. We always seem to get a big one at the end of April. We haven't had much snow this year, Heather seems to be stealing it all for Ohio lol. Farmers are really concerned though.

Well all my hard work, working the second job, payed off today and I put 4 new tires on the Jeep! I've been saving like a mad woman since January and it's such an accomplishment for me. Being a single mom I've always had problems getting ahead and putting money aside for big purchases or savings so this is such a feeling of accomplishment. Knock on wood that something doesn't happen to knock me back down. Now to start saving for my camper. My job situation still has me concerned. They gave us 2 days off this week due to lack of work. I had enough work on my desk the second day I didn't have to take it off but I'm scared I'm going to end up using all my vacation time because of the continued lack of work. It was sort of a good thing this week as I was so tired anyway with this cold. I ended up sleeping off and on the whole day.

M* is having his EMG done next Friday and then the following week an appointment with the surgeon. I'm taking Friday off to go with and then we're going to make a day of it in Fargo. Not sure if I've updated on his condition but he has bone spurs compressing his spinal cord in the neck so he's going to need surgery after all to grind the spurs off. He mentioned today he's starting to get the stabbing pain in the shoulder again.

Well I need to go get some sleep so I can be as rested as I can be to work tomorrow. Night everybody!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGypsyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  11:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Prairie Tammy...my husband had that cough for two months and just in the last two days it seems to have
finally gone away. It really takes some people a long time to get over that. And as you know, as well as
the cough is that extreme tiredness. So, take care and rest when you can. ~~ That is so awesome that you
were able to feel that accomplishment of saving for your own tires. I think that is just fabulous! Another
victory for independent women!!! ~ Have you been reading anything good lately? I'm at the end of the 2nd
book of the John Puller books by David Baldacci. They are thrillers to say the least. If you ever have read
Lee Child's Jack Reacher books...the John Puller books are very similar.

Judy...Oh, what a sweet thought to know that your Mama and Daddy had their Anniversary this year in Heaven.
That is just such a lovely picture in my mind's eye. And so comforting for you girls to know that they are
there together. ~ Snow is one thing...but dealing with ice is completely another thing altogether. You be
careful out there...no slipping and splattering yourself all over the drive way. That would not be good.

Spent a very relaxing day. Got up very early this morning...6:00 AM...which I didn't even know the clock had
a time like 6:00 am *giggle* because you know me...I stay up late and get up late. But when I went back to bed and then got
back up I was expecting it to be about 11:00 or Noon right? Wrong! It was 2:00 in the afternoon. Wow what a
waste of a good day. LOL But the funny thing was my hubs got up at the same time and when I asked him what
time it was he said, "I think it is around 9:00." We each headed to a different clock to check the time for sure...
and we were both floored that it was so late. I guess we needed that extra sleep. I'm thinking maybe our
bodies are preparing us for tomorrow night when we lose that hours sleep as we fall forward for Spring.

Well, I'm off to read and snuggle in my bed for a few hours...hope to finish my book tonight.

Have a Fabulous Weekend and do something FUN!!!

Hugs and Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Mar 06 2015 11:53:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  06:41:49 AM  Show Profile
Peggy - I just finished You Can't Wallpaper My Igloo by Katherine Norberg. Interesting story of newlyweds who decide to go to Alaska and teach in tundra schools and the trials and discoveries they made. I'm currently reading Sihpromatum - Backpacks and Bra Straps by Savannah Grace. It's a biography of a Canadian 13 yo whose mother takes 3 of her children and backpacks around the world after her divorce. They started in China, have gone through several of what they called "the Stans" (former Russian countries), Russia, back to China and are now leaving Tibet to do a tour in Nepal. Some of the things are pretty scary like paying for black market rides across borders so they didn't have to deal with paperwork and some of the hotels they stayed in. They took a taxi in one of "the stans" that quotes a really low price over the other taxis and realized why about half way through the trip. The driver kept stopping and getting things out of different secret compartments in the car. They soon realized that the reason the taxi was so cheap was that they were a cover for his drug drops. They walked but also took trains, taxi's and buses to travel. I also finished An Amish Buggy Ride by Sarah Price. I wasn't feeling well the other day when they gave us the day off for lack of work and I read that in a day. I was excited to see it was free with Kindle Unlimited as rarely are new release books available. All the books were free on Kindle Unlimited actually.

Peggy I think it's the weather changing that's causing sleep issues and the time change tomorrow will cause huge issues. I woke up at 6 this morning and tried to go back to sleep but couldn't. Got up at 7 and I'm just sitting, wrapped up in my fuzzy blankets, reading emails and blogs. I need to get moving since I have to be at work at 11. I really could have used more sleep though. I'm already yawning.

Jordon came over to grab a couple items last night and I was able to share with him about the tires and the fact I have money in savings as well and the benefits of a second job financially (huge hint LOL). I told him when he was ready I would help him come up with a budget. Supposedly, they've found a farm they're going to caretake on while the owner is gone for the next 3 years. We'll see if that occurs. He said they'd be moving to the farm in 2 months.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGypsyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page