Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2015 :  10:36:54 AM  Show Profile
Judy and Patsy...You two girlies behave yourselves and don't get in to much trouble in a two month time
period. LOL BUT Have LOTS OF FUN and Lovies together!!!

Sabrina...I remember you telling us that you played the Violin...so do I get extra credit points for an
old woman?? LOL Hope that violin opportunity turns into a real blessing for you. ~
Hard to believe your wee one is four months old already. They grow up so fast. It doesn't seem like it
at the time you are knee deep in diapers and laundry but they do. ~ By the way thanks for your email.
hope that cyst just goes away on it's own and that you will be done with. My Ex-In-Laws were Military people
and they always complained about the base Medical Treatment. If they had large health issues they always just
paid out of pocket and went to civilian Drs. for treatment.

Shannon...to answer your question about my Step-son...we found out that visitation were he is at just consists
of Video Visits. So, I'm thinking until he is sentenced in Sept. we will just talk on the phone and write
letters. His wife feels the same way...and she hasn't attempted to visit either. ~ That is cool that our husbands
share the same birthday. I know a farmgirl from Texas and her adult daughter shares my birthday...so her daughter
and I have gotten to know each other even though Holly isn't a farmgirl. My husbands depression is and not wanting to be around family and friends is really starting to concern me. He didn't even want to go out to dinner last night with our kids. And he wouldn't let them do anything for him on Father's Day. BUT after a heart to heart talk and several small fights over his attitude yesterday...he went to dinner and really did enjoy himself. We made sure he was sitting by our son on one end of the table and Sadie, her mom and I chatted at the other end.On the way home he said that he really
did have a good time and enjoyed his visit with Shane. Which I knew he would...if he just made the effort...and quit being stubborn. I know depressed people don't want to participate in life...it seems like too big of effort but both myself and my husband were Christian Counselors and so I know when to push him for his own good. But honestly before I got him to that dinner...I was so frustrated with him and done in. But Praise God he made me a Peace-Maker and Mercy person...or my husband might not have made it to that dinner after all! LOL ~
How is the Angus Meat compared to the Jersey? I really like Angus myself...especially the steaks?~ So, is this weekend
the big Move? Praying you have lots of help.

Denise...have you ever had your cyst aspirated? I had one on my right hand years ago and my Dr. drew all the fluid out
of it and it immediately quit hurting and went away and never came back. I totally believe the aspiration is what
kept it from every coming back. I use my wrists more in my later years for crafting, computer work, knitting, Photography and letter and card writing than in my younger years and still have never again had a problem. The slamming
a book on one's cyst sounds more painful than a needle to me...OUCH! LOL

Well, I was going to go Grocery Shopping this morning but we had clouds come in last night (I felt my knee throbbing
at dinner...so I knew something was going to happen with the barometrics)... so now I need a short nap before I go
wear myself out at the Grocery Store. Talking about Naps...one of the books I read to my grandson is called "The Napping
House" which is the cutest story...but I bought him the book because I could relate to it. LOL

More Later My Lovelies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  10:32:52 AM  Show Profile
hello ladies,
how are yall this day? Good I hope. I have had my granddaughters this whole week so I have had my hands full. They are going back tomorrow. They are a bit homesick as they have never been here this long. Grandma thinks she may need a week to recouperate. They are 6 and 8. One is bossy and one likes to pick on the other. Needless to say my teacher side has had to come out a bit.

We went to the zoo earlier this week and it was fun. It was a cool day and we saw almost all of the zoo.
I signed up to do a two mile walk in July for fun. I have been needing a goal to work towards so this is it for now. I am up to about a mile and half.
I have gotten my tea for you wonderful ladies in July. Going to try and get it out early as I will be gone quite a bit in July. But we will see how that goes. I plan well but lately my plans have gone awry.

well I have to go unlock some girls who are fighting right now.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  11:10:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi all :) Been really busy here, getting the house ready. We move on July 6th :) We still have a lot of packing, painting and work to get done! In fact, we only have one room completely done! We have way too much stuff, though I guess in all honesty, being a family of 8 does that!

Peggy - you asked about my preference of jersey versus angus. Jersey cows seem to put more of their fat into their milk opposed to their meat, so their meat seems to be more lean than the angus. I actually prefer jersey over angus, but the farmer we buy from don't butcher any jerseys this year.

TLTammy - excited for your tea next month... we move on the 6th (the Monday after the 4th of July), but our mail will be forwarded to us! Not to mention we still have to sell this house, so we will be here anyways, back and forth.

Well my break from work is over - back to work for me!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  9:27:41 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone!! Things are good here - adjusting to not having to practise piano 2-3 hours a day :) We had a lovely day at the beach today (by the ocean). We also had a tea party for a 77 year old women who is moving back to England - she moved here with her husband right after she got married, and her husband recently passed away. Shannon - excited for your move! I'm sure you're going to be thrilled once it's all over and done with. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  11:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Hello My Porchies...hope you are all staying as cool as cucumbers!

We are having extreme heat around here. We have been on a Red Heat Alert for at least a week and nobody
can have fires of any kinds. The county isn't even mowing the brown grasses along our freeways for fear
a spark from the mowers will cause fires. ~ We still have at least 7 more days of extreme heat and
high humidity. The Fourth of July is suppose to be 107. It is really hard for me to stay hydrated enough
because I hate water. So, I am going to make a Pitcher of Fruit Water here in a few minutes.

Shanon...I hope you are having cooler weather especially for your move. Thanks for explaining about the
Jersey/Black Angus difference. Jersey's are so pretty that I would have a hard time eating one. LOL
Those eyes of theirs just speak to my heart. Are you painting the new place or the home you are moving
out of? Or both? Don't over do and don't inhale too much paint fumes. Take lots of small breaks.

Teacher Tammy...hope you enjoyed the grand-daughters despite the bossiness and fighting. LOL I was suppose
to have my grand-daughters this weekend but my kids decided that they didn't want to come down to our higher
heat. Can't say that I blame them at all!! The Seattle area being right on the Puget Sound doesn't get as
hot of temps as we do...a bit more inland. Miss my girls though!!! I would go visit them...but I can't leave
my husband as depressed as he is. I hope he will snap out of it soon. I know...I know...it isn't that easy
to do. Circumstances have overwhelmed him. He needs to find a new purpose or goal or more work...anything to
keep him busy. He is normally a very Creative/Motivational/Funny kind of guy ...but when you are depressed
all that shuts down in your brain. We talk about it...and he is sharing his feelings with me...but he wants
to hide from the World right now. I have been getting him out to Barnes and Noble for a little bit every
day...so he can't totally isolate but he really just isn't himself. ~ I have chosen my Teaching Book for this
Fall, we are going back to a Beth Moore Study...this one is called Children of The Day. Have you done this
Study in your Group Yet? If so, what did you think of it? ~ Looking forward to your Tea in July!!

Joyce...How did your testing turn out for Piano??? Do you take the Summers off from teaching Piano? Did the lady
who is 77 and moving back to England...did she live in the U.S. very long? I bet she enjoyed the lovely Tea Party
Send Off. She must still have a lot of family and friends in England if she is moving back. That is a big step
for somebody her age.

Well, My Porchies...I have been enjoying my Home Porch around 6:00 AM every morning. I go out and lounge in the
coolness for about an hour. I am speaking of 70+ for the coolness factor. That is our Overnight Temps every night.
Man, you would think I lived in Florida or something. LOL So...we are hoping to just stay cool in doors for
the next 7 days...as much as possible. We have to get out and about a little bit...just so we aren't going stir
crazy.

Have a Blessed Sonday Everyone!!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jun 28 2015 11:34:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  11:42:42 AM  Show Profile
Joyce - your tea party sounds absolutely lovely! What a delightful send off! Though i am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband!

Peggy - I am so sorry to hear of your heat! We are not getting that warm, but with the humidity, we feel that warm! Thankfully I do enjoy water, however, I have stayed borderline dehydrated/heat exhaustion for the last couple of weeks... I pull myself out of heat exhaustion into dehydration and then slip right back into heat exhaustion. I have debated going in for fluids, but there is just so much to do! We are painting the house we are in now, in order to get it sell ready. The plan is to move out on the 6th, clean the upstairs and redo the counters in the kitchen on the 7th, have carpet put in on the 8th, while we clean downstairs and have it on the market on the 10th. LOTS to do still! The house we are moving into is a rental, so no painting there! The fumes with the paint we are using, really isn't bad at all!!! I was really concerned about that, but it doesn't even smell that bad! And my nose is still super sensitive! We are using Behr, so I'm not sure if that is the difference??? Hate hearing your hubby is so depressed! I think I am fighting some depression though a lot of it is just being overwhelmed. Honestly, the fact that I am pregnant is the only thing keeping me going right now!

Life here is pretty much the same... lots of packing, painting, and repairs. Friday we put in a new sliding glass door. Hubby was certain he could do it and didn't want to pay the $450 for installation... unfortunately, it took us from 0830 until 6:30 that evening! It was A LOT of work, especially lifting! We both have paid for it over the last couple days. Today is my youngest's second birthday :) She is 2! We are not doing too much to celebrate, as we are trying to get so much done, as well as the fact that my 6 yo is sick :( She isn't holding anything down :(

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  12:13:38 PM  Show Profile
Good morning Porchies! Well since Patsy got here on Weds., we have been having temps in the 70's and rain off n on. This morning we got up to a cool, windy 58.brrr Of course I had asked my Heavenly Papa for cooler temps for her because she had 90's at home and at her sons before she got here... so I guess I really shouldn't be surprised! *giggle* (Thank You Papa) We are enjoying our 'sissy-time' together... with only a few small tiffs, but that's a sister thang isn't it? I'd worry if we didn't spat even a little. We are total opposites!! But when we get together (WeLuvUs)!!!(notice the squishes there)
Make it a great day gals!
Love Yuns!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  12:44:17 PM  Show Profile
Shannon...I heard that for pregnant women you should drink 100 ounces of water per day. Are you drinking that much?
That sounds like a lot of water to me...but hey, that is probably what a pregnant body needs. So, if you have any
way to measure your water in take...do it girl!!! My youngest DIL is a tiny slip of a thing and she is trying to
drink that much. She usually makes it to 70 ounces at least.

Judy...you and Patsy sound like my sister and me (when she was still alive)...we were all love with some spats
punctuated in between just to keep us humble. LOL I wish she was still here to spat with. I can hear her from
Heaven..."You want spats...I can show you spats...and then you'll be sorry!" LOL But I know you and Patsy are
like Deb and me too...because you laugh more than anything!!!! My sister was my Comic Relief...and she could tell a story that would have you laughing so hard that you were in tears and holding your belly because it hurt to laugh that
hard and praying you didn't pee you pants! ~ In her last few years of life...she would often call me and apologize
for one of our spats...because she was in so much pain that it made her ornery and cranky most of the time and she
kind of lost her wonderful zest for life and her outrageous sense of humor. I really miss her!!! So you and Patsy
take full advantage of all your time together and sisterly love. Nothing can replace it!!!

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  2:16:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals!

Shannon - I do not envy you the type of work you are doing. For seven years I have wrestled with this needy house that was part of my divorce settlement. There came a point where I never wanted to see another bucket of stain, paint, or varnish! Being short on funds and people basically saying, "Huh?," when you say the word work, it's slow going, but I'll just ease through it. Take care.

Peggy - It's strange that, except when there are wildfires, my silly brain tells me it's always cool weather there ('course I've been in Texas my whole life, you understand ) I really feel for you. We've not been that hot with actual temperature but, when you add the hideous humidity, we've been close lots of days. Hope you get some rain soon to cool things.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's depression. In 2001, when my youngest son (23 at the time) finally came home after a horrible wreck, a friend gave him a puppy thinking that caring for it would both provide him with special companionship and also help keep his mind off his own injuries. It worked really well. Have you thought about something like that?

It's just hot and humid here. Really!! Some sadness because my 86 year old across the pasture neighbor is leaving Tuesday morning for assisted living in Houston. Her life was great until she fell while in town last Sept. Being in great health, she was almost ready to come home with therapy and suddenly had two strokes one right after the other. Been helping with the packing. It's just so sad.

Y'all drink that water!!

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
'The Simply Lived Life' blog http://www.wandasturrock.com/website/blog/
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  8:43:00 PM  Show Profile
Peggy - The lady lived here ever since she got married - so over 50 years. It will be a big move for her!

We went boating with our little family...my husband bought an old wooden boat (1971) and fixed it and it was just lovely!!

I'm sorry to hear about your neighbour, Wanda.

Shannon - continuing to pray for you!!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  03:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Good morning my lovely porchies! Praying this morning finds each of you in high spirits, and well! I woke up early due to my youngest crying out, but couldn't go back to sleep. I'm pretty raring to go this morning! Hopefully things go smoothly today as we prepare more. Hubby is at work today, so the objective is to keep the kids semi-occupied, and probably pack more. It would be most beneficial to be able to send them outside... really looking forward to that aspect when we move!

Judy - so glad you and Patsy are having such a lovely time! And the temperatures sound glorious! I just looked at our temps for today, and oh my! There isn't going to be any major humidity! I am so excited! Perhaps I'll work in my garden after hubby gets home...

Peggy - I drink on average 10 to 12 cups of water a day... I have a large water bottle that holds two cups, so I put 6 rubberbands on it and each time I empty it, I take one off. However, I am not small by a long shot, so I probably need more than that! I'll have to try to increase it...

Wanda - I am so sorry to hear about your neighbor! That is so hard and I can only imagine how frustrating it is for her! Unfortunately, the strokes probably had a lot to do with her fall. I am assuming she broke something... but in any case, strokes are often caused by blood clots, and after an injury like that, especially with older folks, the strokes are not that uncommon :(

Joyce - your family outing sounds just lovely!!!! I am looking forward to doing more fun things in the near future, after we move and get settled. Right now our goal is to "work, work, work." Thank you so much for your prayers!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

jackie v
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

jackie
easthampton ma
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  07:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Send jackie v a Yahoo! Message
Good morning ladies. Peggy, you could send a little of your heat my way...our garden seems to be growing at snails pace because of the rain and lack of real heat. I'm hearing my pressure canner signing from boredom in my pantry #128516;. I'm fairly new to MJF..though I signed up for the forums a few years back..I haven't been active with it. Talk to you ladies soon..off to do my chores. Have a great day ladies #128157;
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  07:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Well hi Jackie :) Welcome to the porch and back to the forums! I wish we could all share our weather... I could send some heat and you could send some much needed rain. Amazingly, my tomatoes are doing phenomenal though! Not sure how that is happening!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  08:15:12 AM  Show Profile
Wanda...soooooo sorry to hear about your neighbor!!! It seems like when health starts going down hill...it
keeps up a steady roll. My ex-Mother-In-law played golf 3 times a week into her early 80's. And then all of
a sudden she started having mini-strokes and then falling frequently. The last year and a half of her life
she spent in a nursing home until she died. She was a spunky, spry and hilarious woman and I miss her so much.
We use to love to share jokes and laugh a lot together. She was closer to me than my own Mother is.
Our weather has changed over the years here and has gotten a lot hotter in the summer months (and hotter earlier
each year). We still do get Winter rains and it is cool but NOT cold usually. Even in winter months we wear
light weight coats or Hoodies. Our Hot or Cool weather is determined more by the Oceans than anything...and whether
or not we are in a El Ninia or El Nino' (sp) Ocean Cycle. We got really hot early this year and it is staying pretty
warm let me tell you. Even Texas has had some strange weather this year. I saw pictures of Snow there at weird times.
You don't usually get snow in Texas do you??? I don't know if this is a Global Warming thing for all of us or
what...but it has been really strange this year.

Shannon...that sounds like you have the water consumption under control. I could never drink that much water. I am
doing a Happy Dance if I drink 4-6 large glasses of water a day. I drink iced coffee and teas and too much soda.
But I am always trying to increase on the water. Even making fruit water (which makes it easier to go down for me)
I still don't drink enough...and in this hot weather I know I suffer from heat exhaustion most of the time. Don't
work too hard girl. Do at least one thing enjoyable today...even if it is just sitting with your feet up for 30
Minutes and reading something.

Jackie...WELCOME TO THE PORCH!!! Hope you find your way back here and sit a spell and let us get to know you...and
you us!! I would be Happy as a Clam to send you some of our Heat! We have more than enough to share. We were suppose
to get some thunder showers yesterday...but didn't. We were all looking for a little reprieve for an hour or so
but it just didn't come. I would have gone out dancing in it if we had gotten any.

OK...my body is telling me to go back to bed for awhile...so, I think I will obey it. Have a Great Monday Girlies!

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jun 29 2015 1:09:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  09:02:57 AM  Show Profile
Peggy - Your ex-mother-in-law sounds a lot like my own. She passed away before the divorce (she knew a lot of what was happening; don't think she would have blamed me). I miss her too.

You're right! "Strange" is the best word I can think of to describe the weather this year. For a while now, with all the heat and excessive humidity (yes, even more than usual), one needs to be careful so as not to mold along with everything else.

As far as snow goes, Texas is so big, it all depends on where you're located. It doesn't happen often this far south, though in the late 1980s there was enough for two of my youngsters to make a itty-bitty, dirty snow man. But in Jacksonville (East Texas, up around Tyler) where I was born, it isn't uncommon.

Wishing a blessed day to everyone!

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
'The Simply Lived Life' blog http://www.wandasturrock.com/website/blog/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  09:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WOW! It's been very busy here on the Virtual Porch.
I am sending hugs and good thoughts your way, Shannon and Peggy, I know how bad the heat can be. It has been very humid here in Texas. We've have record rains here, after a 3-year drought, and more is coming this week.
Have fun with your sister, Judy.
I agree, Wanda - Texas' weather depends on where in the state you live. We didn't get as much snow this year as last year. I am in upper east Texas, and live across the road from Lake Tawakoni, so sometimes the lake diverts the weather Dallas is having and we get either better or worse.

Take care, all, and keep cool!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  09:24:22 AM  Show Profile

Peggy, I have never used a book to pop my cyst. Don't think I have the guts to do it. But then again I HATE needles so I don't think I'd go that route either. Funny thing is this cyst seems to come and go. When I do alot of work with my wrists needing alot of movement is when it seems to flare up.

Shannon, We are going to get a larger freezer and JT says it should go in the garage. I am glad to hear it because I don't know where we would put it if not there. The basement is out just because we wouldn't be able to maneuver one down the stairs. There is a sharp turn at the bottom of the steps so that is out.

I am looking forward to getting all that meat and having tucked away for the winter months to use. The also things throughout the years so I am keeping my eyes open on their website to see what they have available when.

So glad to see everyone gathering here on the porch!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  11:26:55 AM  Show Profile
hi ladies,
I just thought I would pop in and leave yall some shade daisy tea. It is really called that and it is very light and yummy. Got it at a local tea and coffee place. It is warm here today so will stay in and then later water flowers and go for walk. I have signed up to do a two mile run walk the end of July. I decided to be brave and set a goal for my walking so I would keep at it.

Peggy I will pray for your dear hubby and that the heat will ease. Yes my group did the Children of the Day by Beth Moore. It was one of my favorites. It has really stayed with me. Right now my group is doing a lecture series by Beth that has no homework and we discuss video and pray. We like to do lighter in the summer we can't stand to not meet so we find something less demanding.

Shannon I hope you get settled soon. I know that must be hard but I know you will get through.

well ladies I hear my dryer so I best fly out for now.
love to you all
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  12:23:23 PM  Show Profile
Peg, as soon as I read your post I read it too Patsy then I turned around and gave her a BIG(((HUG)))and said this is for Peg and Deb!! We hung on for awhile just for you.You probably felt the warmth from there.I can feel the hole in your heart and I am sure Patsy can too because we have 2 holes in each of ours, one for Mama and one for Jim. So big hugs sent your way from the 2 of 'us 2 crazy Sistas!'
Our weather is so rainy and last night it got so cold I had to get up and put on socks. It was 51 when we went to bed so I don't know what it was an hour later, I didn't look, but my poor toes were mini popsicles.lol
Today we are a high of 70! No humidity either.
Well, off to have lunch at our new Italian Restaurant!
Make it a great day gals! Love yuns!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  7:43:38 PM  Show Profile
Good evening Porchies! It's been a few since I've been able to sit for a minute on the porch. Always busy! My middle son's birthday was this past Saturday. He turned 8 and wanted to go to the zoo. It was a very nice day for the zoo. Started off a little cool though. Not really Kentucky weather for this time of year. Of course, from what I've seen reading through that the weather is a little off kilter for some of us. Kentucky weather has never really had a normal type of season. I guess it's where we are in the U.S. My zucchini is coming along nicely though. I will be making some zucchini bread soon so I will have to bring some to the porch to share. My 12 year old daughter loves green tomato bread that her Nana(my mom) makes and she loves zucchini bread with chocolate chips.

Well, I'm not on here for long. I'm off to check out Etsy and see if I'm going to open a store. I welcome any and every advise and opinion about Etsy. For some reason it makes me a little nervous to open one and how it all works. I will be doing some booths this fall and hopefully get into some bazaars.
Have a wonderful day my friends!!

RoDonna

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
www.marykay.com/rcarson4
www.pinterest.com/kymomma4
www.facebook.com/onthehomestead
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  10:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, hello Ladies. It's been a very long time since I've been on the porch. Last time was towards the end of 2013. Wow. I can't count how many times I've thought about y'all. Today's my birthday, and as I dressed up for a trip to town I decided to wear a few necklaces that symbolizes what's the most important to me. One was a hand made rosary (I'm not Catholic, but I just love rosaries) to show my love of God. One was a heart with the word Mom in it, given to me on Mother's Day to show my love of family. And the last one was my Farm girl necklace, to show my love of all things Home. And that was it, I knew I needed to return to the porch. It's been a rough road, and some sweet ice tea, maybe some warm bread with homemade jam and a good chat sounds lovely.

You see, my son was diagnosed with leukemia late 2013 - early 2014. He stayed in the army hospital for almost 3 months, then he was released and I have been his caregiver every since. Well me and his little sis. We are now waiting on a match for a bone marrow transplant because my son has been chemo resistant. So we are in a weird sort of limbo. Sean gets daily chemo drugs and has good days and bad. He can't work (to many side effects from chemo), he can't get sick (or he could loose his qualification for transplant), so I have started a building project for him to work on during his good days. My daughter is starting her last year at schooling, she is such an awesome homemaker in training! And I am trying to balance work, home, cancer managing, teaching and all. But God gives us strength to walk the path in front of us.

Anyway, looking forward to getting back in the porch swing!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233

Edited by - shanda on Jun 29 2015 10:59:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  12:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Well WELCOME BACK HOME TO THE PORCH...Shanda and RoDonna!!! Woot, Woot, Woot...glad to have you back!

RoDonna...can you share that Green Tomato Bread Recipe? I have seriously never heard of that before.
I love fried Green Tomatoes...so, I'm thinken I would like this Bread too. ~ The Zoo is always a fun place
to take the kids. I like to go there with my grand-kids. ~ I have bought things off Etsy but never had a
store myself. I think if you keep plenty of Craft Items made up it is a good forum to sell from. Also, I
don't know if you do Facebook or not...but they have a Free On-Line Store you can join. Good Luck with
getting something started.

Shanda...I am so sorry to hear about your son. That must be such a heart break! I know God tells us that He
won't give us more than we can handle with His help...but sometimes it just seems so overwhelming! How old is
your son? I will remember to keep him and all of you in my prayers. Especially for a bone-marrow donor to be found.
I loved you sharing about putting on your favorite necklaces to go to Town today. I bet you looked stunning!! Did
you wear an Apron too and your cowgirl boots? LOL

Judy and Patsy...Oh, thanks for that extra long hug girls for Deb and me. Sisters are precious gifts from the
Lord. Even if we do squabble with one another sometimes.LOL That's Love for YOU!!! I have so many holes in
my heart from loosing loved ones...I must look like Swizz Cheese by now. Lol But God fills those holes with more
and more of Himself and heals the the gaping wounds.

Teacher Tammy...I am so glad to hear that you liked the Children of the Day Study by Beth Moore. I can't wait to
teach it this fall...and my girls are excited to get back into a Beth Study. We took a three year break from her
Studies...as I had taught 11 of them in a row and God thought we needed a little break. I teach differently than
she formats her Studies to be taught. I take the 5 lessons in a week and teach only 2 of them per week...and I bring in a
lot of my own teaching of The Word...to compliment her study and to make my gals dig even deeper. We are all
fairly mature women in our walk with The Lord...except our 18 yr. Old and two gals in their 20's that are newer
Christians. And we are adding two new women to our group this fall. So, we now have 17 women in our Bible Study
Group. Not bad for an In-Home Bible Study Group. One of the two new gals is searching for a deeper relationship
with Jesus and the other has been in the Church for years but is going through a separation from her spouse.
He moved out and she is looking for a group of women to support her and give her added strength through this
difficult time. I love when God calls New Women to gather with us and learn to snuggle up more intimately with
Jesus! ~ Glad to hear that you gals don't like to break away from each other in the summer months either.
The fellowship of our Christian Sisters is just too sweet and precious to NOT meet together every chance we get, right?

Yesterday, when DH and I were in the Barnes and Noble Cafe...I went off to walk around a bit, because I can't
sit or stand for long periods of time due to my Fibro...so I have to switch back and forth several times so my muscles don't stiffen up on me. Anyway, when I came back the last time...my husband told me that while I was gone...he looked up from the book he was reading
and looked around as he took a drink of his iced-tea and there was a middle aged man back in the corner of the Cafe' exposing
himself (yes, on purpose) and so my husband walked back to him and told him to cover himself up immediately...If not sooner and
to knock it off! So, the guy did...and then he got up and left the store. I was proud of my husband for being pro-active and
fearless...but couldn't believe he did not report it to any of the Managers...which we know extremely well, since BnN is
our home away from home. So, I told the Cafe' Manager today and she came and thanked Larry and then told him she was going to make him The Official Barnes and Noble Deputy with a badge and everything. Then later another Manager from the Book side of the Store came up and Thanked him too but admonished him to alert someone while the person is still in the store...so, they could officially
ask him to leave or call the police and to be on the look out for him again. Good Grief...you just never know what you are going to get served along with your coffee and cookies. This world is just getting worse and worse!!! This particular store has a lot of young families with kids that shop there and frequent the Cafe also. So many sicko's out there you really have to be on alert at all times.

OK...for you girls that Have Kindle E-Readers...go to Amazon in Kindle Books and type in Grand Tour Series by
Lisa T. Bergren and you can get all three books for $5.00 I love this Christian Series...one of my all time favorite. They are Romance/with a Mystery. I have read them all but I paid a lot more than that for them. LOL Don't miss out on this Fabulous
deal as I don't know how long it will last.

Well, My Newest Book is calling my name...more later girls,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jun 30 2015 12:50:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  05:39:26 AM  Show Profile
Peggy - You sound like my MIL with water. She says she just ors not like the stuff. I've never quite understood that, as it is cool and refreshing... and has no taste. But then again, we run ours through a Berkey, so any taste is pulled out and it is just pure water. While I do drink a lot of water, I am also losing a lot of water! Usually it is just by sweating, but when I heat heat exhaustion.. it is... errrr... being lost "other" ways. For a wile it won't matter how much I drink, because it comes right back up or out. Then I finally get it under control and get myself back to keeping it in, but dehydrated, and then the cycle starts all over. I have never done well in high heat or humidity, but when I am pregnant I am much worse! When I was pregnant with my first child, we lived in DE. We did not have central air in the house, but rather a large air conditioner that cooled the mass majority of the house and another window unit in the bedroom. I would shut the bedroom door and lock myself in there during the day, as it got closer to my due date (she was born the end of August). With this pregnancy, i am finding myself constantly hot! Normally our air conditioning is set of 78 to 80. At this point, this year, it is set on 75! As for your hubby - I am SO glad he felt emboldened enough to say something to that other man, especially with how depressed he has been! That is truly coming out of his shell of darkness, to do that! As for the other "man" - oy! I really do not know how I would have handled that situation - probably just quickly gathered my children and walked out as fast as possible! There are very few places I take my children in public any more! You just never know what you are join to see or hear! Thank you to your hubby for stepping up!

Denise - so excited for you about your freezer and beef! For some reason SC does not put basements in their houses!?!? I'm not sure if it is due to their sandy grounds (though MD and DE tended to be sandy as well) or maybe due to their water table level!?!? Maybe basements here would flood? I dunno - but I miss having a basement!

TLTammy - I ave never heard of shade daisy tea. It sounds light and refreshing - perfect for these hot days! I admire you for setting your goal of walking the end of July! How exciting!!! After we move and I have the baby... and she is somewhat settled... maybe I can find one around here to put my kids and myself in. I'll have to look into that!

RoDonna - welcome back! Happy birthday (a little late) to your middle son! We always love going to our local zoo! Ours have brought their grizzly bears back after building them a new exhibit, as well as adding otters... but we haven't made it to go see them yet, as it is just too hot. We'll make a trip up there (it is about 1.5 hours away) in the Fall probably.

Shanda - Welcome back! I don't think we have met yet! I am so sorry to hear of your son and the hard time your family is going through right now! With what you wrote, it sounds like you have a strong faith in God, so I am sure that is what is enduring you! Thank you for your son's service in the Army! And I pray that a bone marrow transplant is found more quickly than later. My best friend in high school - her brother had leukemia, and was in much the same situation, with chemo just not working, so he had to have a bone marrow transplant. Once he got that, which was shortly after we graduated, he was quickly in remission and is cancer free and has been for over 15 years! I pray the same for your son! You said your daughter is starting her last year of schooling and you have to do teaching... is she homeschooled? I homeschool my littles, but none are that age yet! My oldest is going into 7th grade (gasp) this next year.

Well ladies - today is another day of much the same. I need to pack more and paint this evening. This afternoon, however, we will be headed to my OB appointment. Generally they are a waste of time, in that all she does is listen to the heartbeat, but still - I enjoy hearing it! Unfortunately she could not get us in until 3:30 this afternoon and it is about an hour away, so we are going to hit massive traffic coming home... but it will be all good. Hubby is going to swing by the property management office while I am in the appointment,, to pay our rent for July. Next week I will be living in a different house! Kinda hard to wrap my brain around! DD11 is really having mixed emotions about it! This is the only house she remembers! And yet she wants to get away from the neighbor as bad as the rest of us! Just pretty traumatic for her, I guess. I'm not really sure how to handle it! I think I have some of the same feelings about it... this September would have been eleven years in this house! A lot of memories here!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  09:22:59 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,
I hope you are having a great day. It is cloudy here in my neck of the woods. But cooler which is nice.

Judy please give Patsy a hug from me. I think of her often in my prayers.

Peggy I am proud of your hubby for standing up to that guy in Barnes and Noble. That is very brave of him.

Shanda welcome back to the porch and Jackie welcome to the porch. It is always nice to add another rocking chair to the porch.

As yall know my twins have been getting ready for college. One has already signed up and the other one is signing up tomorrow for his classes. I think he will be relieved to have things in place and know his classes. I of course am one proud mama as they have both handled this new step in their journey with great responsibility.

Well I guess that is all for now.
Yall have a great day.
Love to you all,
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  12:52:20 PM  Show Profile
Shanda - praying for you!!

Peggy - WOW! Is all I can say..I'm absolutely shocked...thankful that your husband took charge before any young families saw this.

Tomorrow we are having a Canada Day Party - my first party ever! Living in the states has taught me to be much more patriotic - and I'm hoping to pass along the enthusiasm tomorrow! Lots to do :) Have a great day porchies! I left some freshly squeezed lemonade on the porch - and chocolate dipped strawberries (from my garden!)....no blueberries because all the deer ate them yesterday **tear**

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page