Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  3:07:09 PM  Show Profile
Denise...the Thunder Shirt is more of a Velcro Wrap...so you can snuggle it tightly on them.

Teacher Tammy...it is a good thing both our husbands have a good sense of humor...because mine
falls asleep everywhere. LOL He is much older than your hubby.

Another HOT day here today...but by the weekend suppose to cool down to the mid to high 80's.
Which is Perfect Weather in My Book. Hubby likes the 70's.

Have a Wonderful Day My Lovelies!!!

Blessings and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  5:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I can't imagine anybody being told not to sleep... especially when wives shopping are involved.lol My sweet guy sleeps everywhere all the time. I can't imagine what he'd say if they woke him to tell him that.
I don't think I would want to be within hearing distance. hahaha
We had thunderstorms this evening and I'm not complaining ....because... tomorrows high is going to only be 75. Yaaaaa! Humidity's been rough for a couple of days.... and of course I had to mow those days because it was the only 2 days that we didn't have rain. It's really been a wet season.
Keep cool and be happy!
'God Bless My Porch-Buds'

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1411 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1411 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  8:17:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for praying Peggy - praying for you all as well!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  10:08:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm wondering if some of you Porch Sisters who are wiser than I am, of which there are probably quite a few here, could help me with something. There may be other places I could post the question, but I thought I'd ask it here first.

I have some quilts that were made back in the 80s when I was designing, publishing, and selling quilt patterns. Since then, they have been stored in four different houses - open air, no moisture control, no air conditioning, etc. - and I need a non-chemical way to deal with the spots and mustiness that resulted.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
'The Simply Lived Life' blog http://www.wandasturrock.com/website/blog/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  2:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'd be interested in this too Wanda. I have a quilt of my boyfriends that has large brown spots on it that I'm trying to get out. I'll be following this thread.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Jul 10 2015 4:44:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  3:57:07 PM  Show Profile
Lemon juice is good for spots and then drying on the grass or hang on the line in the sun.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  6:02:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Denise. The lemon juice would probably work best on large spots on white fabric.

These are the type that are just sort of everywhere after being stored in a non climate controlled situation, like 'grandma' quilts get. Maybe from where they were touched, etc.

These were never used on the bed. They did hang on display at the Capitol rotunda, etc. but I'm pretty sure no one touched them there. But, I also know I did not wear gloves when working on them, so that's probably all it could be, that and moisture in the air.

Being in south Texas, if I put them on the grass, the fire ants will eat holes in them. They love fabric. And the clothes line here was falling over when we bought the place and hasn't been replaced yet.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2015 :  12:26:11 AM  Show Profile
Joyce you are welcome for the prayers.

Wanda and Denise...I never thought about how to remove spots on the quilts. I am glad this came up
as I have now learned too.

I have a couple of small quilts (lap size) that I have washed because my dog gets them dirty. He likes
to sit up on my lap sometimes and I don't want dog hair all over my clothes. The lap quilts I just paid
a few bucks for...so, if they fall apart they fall apart but my larger quilts I want to keep nice.

Well, we finally had a cool day today...just 80 for the high. It was Delightful!!! I can put makeup back
on with out worrying about it melting down my face. LOL

Last night my Crafting Group was not so much fun. One of the ladies is in Crisis in her Marriage, her health,
and she is trying to sell their house of 47 years and down size into an apartment. I think her husband has
early stage dementia...because he is acting so strangely. And it is throwing my friend into severe anxiety attacks.
I'm afraid she is going to have a stroke or a heart attack. So...it didn't make for a good night. If you think
about it please pray for my friend Kathy. I know God has a plan and a purpose but sometimes we don't see it
until we are through the difficulties and looking back. Then we see that He was there all the time walking
us through it all. Life is Tough but God is Faithful!!!

I have had some really good personal bible studies the past week...in fact I posted two of them on my blog page
if anyone is interested in reading them. Plus...I also used some of what I learned to minister to encourage my
oldest Step Son Daniel...as he sits in jail planning his Court Appeal. He said that God is sending the faithful
to minister to him through cards and letters and that was good to hear. We gave up our phone conversations with
him so he can talk to his wife and daughter. They allowed him to have a Photo Album that his wife put together
and sent to him. I was shocked by that...so that is a small miracle in and of it's self. It really helps him to
be able to look through their life together...when times were happier and easier.

Well, not much happening here. Just trying to beat the heat each day...but now we are going into a full week of
weather just in the 80's...which is perfect summer weather. I could actually set out on my porch tonight with a
cup of iced coffee and a book. It was lovely!!!

Sleep tight my Porchies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  11:06:01 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone, it sure is quiet around here. Not much new on my end but wondering if you ladies have an idea for me, I am looking for home ec curriculum to use with a group. It will likely be boys and girls so I don't want anything too gender specific. Any ideas?

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Norwex www.sabrinascheerer.norwex.biz
Usborne Books and More! https://j4070.myubam.com

~~~Blog coming soon!!!~~~
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  1:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Can only jump on here for a couple minutes... here is the drama saga of the week....

Monday - we moved :) 20 folks from church (including children) came out and helped! and of course the "unstable" neighbor called the cops - she felt we were too close to her property. The cop literally rolled his eyes when he told us why he was called out!

Tuesday - worked a little on the new house trying to get it semi organized and the kids' beds put together

Wednesday - worked on the old house - and a friend came and helped paint a bit

Thursday - worked more on the old house

Friday - worked at the new house while hubby went to the memorial service for his coworker. his car died on the way... and that night when he came back to check on the chickens at a friend's, he found two large dogs eating a couple of the chickens, that the chased him, and in the process, the keys got locked in the car! Long story short, I ended up meeting the neighbors at 2:30 in the morning after I woke them up, to borrow their phone (we have no phone at the new house yet) and I have no keys (he left his in the guy's car that gave him a ride home after the memorial service, so he had mine), to call the Pastor to find my husband, after I woke up to find him still not home! H finally made it home around 4:30 in the morning!

Saturday - worked on the old house - a friend helped paint

Sunday - church and grocery shopping, then last night a very sick 4 yo, and hubby had to go to the hospital to see a coworker who had been in a motorcycle accident and did not get home until 6 this morning!

Today - working on the old house and met with the realtor.

And on top of all of this, someone is going into our back yard through the gate almost every night! We have our speculations, but really just want it to stop!

We still have no phone or internet at the new house, so bear with me

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  1:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Oh, my, Shannon. You have sure gone through a lot in the recent weeks/months. Hope you can get settled soon.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  4:59:04 PM  Show Profile
hey dear porchies,
just checking in real quick. I am leaving tomorrow to help hubby chaperone some students for leadership conference in Washington DC I basically get to go and have fun. Please pray for safe travel for us. I will be gone until Sunday. I am very excited. The boys are staying behind to take care of farm and Jax and they have to work and have some college things they have to do. This will be good test for this mama to learn to let go. They have been so helpful today.

I have been working on tea things but did not get quite done so will send them when I get back. Who knows I might find something in DC. I do have my tea but I like to put a little something with it.

It has been terribly hot here we have heat advisories all week. So I have been staying inside a lot.
well have a great week ladies
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2015 :  12:40:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my goodness Shannon and I thought our lives were full of drama lately...but nothing compared to yours.
I am so glad that you will finally be away from that former Neighbor who sounds like an extreme busybody.
I feel sorry for whom-ever buys your house though. Goodness, some people just aren't happy unless they are
messing in everyone else's lives. Your husband must be moving along on pure adrenaline and that is why he
is making little mistakes that take him twice as long to accomplish. Poor Dear! And then the sadness of a
funeral and another hurt friend. It just ALL becomes so Overwhelming. YOU ALL continue to be in our prayers.

Sabrina...I am no help on Schooling Stuff...sorry!!! Hope you are all doing good other than that. If it is
for both boys and girls...teaching cooking, and Laundry...two areas that every kid needs to learn for
Survival Skills...and the earlier the better.

Teacher Tammy...Oh, how fun...Playing in Washington D.C. That ought to be a Wonderful Trip with DH. And yes,
a very good opportunity for the boys being on their own. Keeping you all in prayers for safety!

Not much happening here. Had a bad weekend with Fibro and a little better today. We have systems going through
the area not doing much...just creating havoc with my Muscle Pain. Today I started and finished a Pocket Letter
for a friend. I used the Theme Friendship as her and I have been friends for 27 years. I don't see her as much
as in the past but love her like crazy...she is like our Judy...a real Nutty and Funny Chick!

Off to check my FB and then go read for awhile. More Later My Lovelies!!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2015 :  11:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, my goodness! I pray life slows down for you soon! You need it!

Peggy, thanks for the thoughts on my class!! The kids are 3rd through 5th grade. We will def be doing some cooking. I thought about laundry but I'm not sure how to make that work in the setting. I'm thinking about just using Mary Jane's young cultivator program as the basis for my lessons. It will run for 12 weeks so I think I will split it into four units, cooking, gardening, crafts and maybe etiquette. Then split it down into projects from there. We may continue it next year too but we will see.

Hubby is gone again. My second child is acting up, I think it has something to do with dad being gone but she isnt good at expressing her feelings and just acts out instead. Then my third child follows along with whatever she is doing so that has been difficult. Also, my oldest got stung by a bee on her foot and it swelled up pretty bad! So I've been trying to keep her off it today which has meant a lot more work for me! Add to that a grumpy baby! Now I have everyone in bed and I'm having my chocolate!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2015 :  10:28:42 AM  Show Profile
Helloooooo where is everyone????

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2015 :  10:38:42 AM  Show Profile
HaHa! Sabrina, you haven't been abandoned. Maybe everyone else is out having fun. My work happens to be on the computer so I thought I'd reassure you. Take care.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2015 :  11:11:31 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina and Wanda...I'm here off and on lurking to see who comes on. If only one or two then I usually wait
to post until more come on. In the Summer Time I usually have to saddle up the Posse and go looking for our
stray farmgirls...they wander off like sheep gone astray. LOL

We are having our coolest day today 75 tops they say. Probably will hit 80 but man what a nice break from the
heat. You know how most people can't sleep in the heat...well I guess I can't sleep in the cool now because
I have been up since 4:50 AM and tried to go back to sleep twice to no avail...so...I got up and took a shower
and got dressed. I think it is because I ran out of my Muscle Relaxer yesterday...it is fairly strong and
helps me sleep at night besides keeping my muscles from jumping all night long. Even my dog wonders what happened
and why I have been up all night. LOL

Crafting Group tonight...which is usually so much fun!!! Lots of laughter and giggles.

Well, girlies you might have to ride with the Posse to help me round-em-up!!!

Later Sweet Things,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2015 :  01:17:41 AM  Show Profile
lol it was just longer than usual with no posts it seemed. But I'm sure everyone is doing summer things right now. I have been busy busy, even more with hubby gone. Baby hasn't slept well the last couple nights so I'm really exhausted today. Have a few things I must finish today or tomorrow and I've implimented screen free sundays in our house so no internet!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2015 :  08:39:38 AM  Show Profile
happy summer all! it's been a while. the last post I made was about the drama between my mom and her sisters back in Feb. Well, she finally did get some things from her parents and late sister. She is sort of communicating with them. I've not spoken with them. I'm done with the drama.

Anyway, I left dunkin donuts in Machias Maine after slinging coffee and donuts for 7 years and have taken a job in a non profit transporting the elderly, special needs and others who do not have transportation to their appointments. No cut in pay. This is my 3rd day here. Not as much stress and am home at night. I'm feeling so much more relaxed.

Hope all your gardens are growing. Think of this everyone here often. I'm hoping to get on here more often but we'll see.

TTFN...
Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  09:36:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm here... sorta ;) Been terribly sick the last four days! trying to finish up the old house today, to get it listed. will try to update soon! We are not getting internet at the new house until the end of next week!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  11:24:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi all, just poking my nose in the door so that Peg doesn't have to send out the posse after me.lol
It's really too hot for a fast gallop but I knew that if I didn't get here soon Peg would be hounding me.lol
Got Patsy in the saddle behind me just so she could say 'howdy' too. She went to see her kids for a week and stayed in their camper. It was nice to visit with them during the day I guess, but good to retire to her own little abode at night. She's going back at the end of the month and going school shopping with her girls and g-kiddos. I can't believe it's that time already. We've had such a cool. wet summer that it feels like it's just getting started. The people who own swimming pools sure didn't get to use them much ....yet. It was high 80's yesterday with as high a humidity count. They will use them this weekend. Our catholic church in town had their big fundraising festival last night. Patsy and I walked over to get our first bag of cotton candy of the year. Today and tomorrow is in the low 90's with humidity. That's rough when you don't have a/c. I woke up right at 5am this morning, opened all the windows, put fans in them to pull in the cool air and did all the laundry and a few other things. When sis got up at 10(after a rough night, she said) she couldn't believe how much I had done. We are laying low and playing on our putters and watching movies and such...oh...ya...and eating popsicles. hahaha
Hope you all have a great day whatever you do. Love yuns!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  11:47:25 AM  Show Profile
Shannon - So sorry to hear you've been sick. I hope you're feeling better, and taking care of yourself.

Judy - I envy you your weather. A few weeks ago we were about to float away and now it's so dry and hot everything is burning up. Heat indexes have been 107 and up for quite a while. It's just a Texas thang I guess. But, I praise God for the beautiful breeze He sends most of the time.

As for me, I could use a prayer or two. Feel like I'm being swallowed trying to keep up with this place and get my book ready to publish. I'm polishing the manuscript getting it ready to send to the editor, but there's so much else. I don't think I have one free brain cell to learn more about publicity/marketing/social media. But, basically, if I don't learn it, and do it right, no one will even know there is a book, much less buy it.

Y'all have a blessed day!

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  1:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey sweet ladies
I am back from Washington DC. It was a wonderful trip. I was fascinated by the National Art Musuem, Fords Theater, and the monuments. I was thrilled to see a barnes and noble. So of course I had to go in. Two whole floors of books and of course the café. They shared with me that New York City has one with five floors of books. I don't think I would ever come out. I brought some interesting books and information for my classroom. Came home to a broken dryer. Thankfully today it was fixed and we might have some clothes to wear. It was getting to be a touchy situation...hahahahah

I sent out your tea today. I wanted to get it out to you before trip but my tea didn't come in and it was here when I came home. So yall look for a surprise in your mail. I found the cutest tea shop in Washington and had a lot of fun with the guy working. We talked up tea let me tell you. I was so glad to hear I can order online too. It was delightful. There is something about being in an actual tea shop.

I had to laugh my sons said my dog Jax was very naughty while I was gone. He didn't mind them at all. I came home and was he ever glad to see me. I think they just didn't know how to give tender loving care that this sweet mama can. He looked at me like well it is about time you came home. It was too funny.

well I am starting to get things ready for classroom and new butterflies. I report back the first week of August. Hard to believe. Next week my step son and daughter in law will bringing baby number two in to the world. We are tickled to meet this little blessing.

I think that is about all right now. Hope yall are having a great day
love and blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  4:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll. it's been months since I checked in.
It's really hot here in Tennessee. Humidity is killing me the most though.
My garden is in full swing. Although, the weeds are doing better than the corn. We've already harvested potatoes & have them safely stored away for eating. Got under 20 lbs, but I only planted 3 lbs of seed. The sweet potatoes are still growing & I'm waiting for a cooler day to go out to check them. Green beans are blanched & in gallon bags in the freezer along with tomatoes. I don't understand why, but my tomatoes always ripen all summer. And they still put out more & more flowers. I don't mind, I make my own tomato sauce that usually lasts the whole year. Cucumbers like crazy, yellow crook neck squash, zucchini (I cut into chunks & freeze the extras for my chickens & ducks). Watermelon, butternut squash & pumpkins are still growing and taking over like crazy.
I'd like to grow millet and wheat or corn to feed the chicken who are also laying daily and the ducks that we are raising for meat.
I love knowing where my food comes from, don't you?
Anyway, nice to 'see' ya'll again. I'll be back again.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  6:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, sounds like you had a great trip. The Barnes and Noble with 2 floors alone.....
Aren't our fur babies something? Husband says I've spoiled my girl but I never see it.
A new little one is always exciting and they bring such joy!

Kathy, good to have you back. I was gone for a while too, so much going on last year. Hoping for this one to be better. Still waiting to get some things ready for harvest from the garden. We've had a few tomatoes and the peppers are almost ready. Waiting on the green beans, they aren't quite ready yet.
hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 21 2015 6:03:15 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page