Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  11:23:55 AM  Show Profile
Gee, Lorie! Bless your heart! We once had fleas that bad, in a rent house. I vacuumed some herb (flea killing) up into the vacuum bag then vacuumed real good. Then I scattered the same herb all over the carpet and under the furniture. Left it for two days, then vacuumed. Things seemed okay, but I vacuumed once a day for several days anyway. Didn't have any more trouble.

Maybe that idea might help if you have trouble again...which we hope you don't.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
'The Simply Lived Life' blog http://www.wandasturrock.com/website/blog/
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  11:42:28 AM  Show Profile
Lori-fleas are horrible this time of year, with all the heat & moisture. When we moved into our old house in Maryland, we had the most terrible infestation. The previous owner didn't seem to know how bad it was. We tried bombs and they didn't work either. We went to PetSmart & got a 4 part treatment. One was a spray for the yard closest to the house. 2nd part was a spray that we sprayed on everything in the house. 3rd was a shampoo that smelled terrible and had to stay on the dogs & cats for 15 minutes (try that twice) then the final part was the flea treatment on the pets. That final part we have to do monthly. We also ended up removing all the carpets too...but then ours were yellow shag from the 60s! We had to keep up with the flea shampoo for a couple of months, but after that, we had no fleas. 23 years later, we moved to Tennesee into another older house. We expected fleas & were ready to go on the attack, but no fleas. We continue to treat our dogs with monthly flea treatment. And then, we also have our free range chickens & ducks that gobble up so many bug around the place and that really helps. It was expensive in the beginning, but the monthly treatments were worth the effort. We replaced all the floors with hardwood. We got throw rugs that we can shake out & put through the wash once a week with Lysol and white vinegar.
Enough about fleas.
2 of our hens turned out to be roosters! That's fine with the family because we want to continue to raise our own meat. My tender-hearted daughter says she won't eat anything we raise. I think she'll probably change her mind later. I mean, we don't even have babies yet. So, the two roosters are 'frizzles'. Which means their feathers are not the straight feathers chickens usually have. They look like they both had perms!! Since the rest of out hens are just a barnyard mix, I can't wait until we start getting a broody hen. I'm not getting a home hatching thingy. It'll be natural or nothing.
Oh my, I can just go on and on, can't I.
Later ladies. Maybe I'll take pics of my little frizzle roosters to show ya'll.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  12:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Wanda -

what was the herb you used? I need to get some for here.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  12:24:16 PM  Show Profile
Linda - Wow! It's been years. I'm not completely sure. Wormwood, maybe. Southernwood? Definitely not Pennyroyal! If I get a chance I'll try to get the right one for you but you could check those out to see if my memory is right.

Right now I'm about to lose my mind trying to get things done to publish this book. If I'd known all that was involved in that end of it, I may have never started writing...media kit, press release, publicity...who knew?! I just wanted to write books.

I use beneficial nematodes every year now to help with fleas, and they do a wonderful job (you just have to catch it when the weather is right). I get them from Arbico Organics (and try to get them on sale). I don't have carpets now. There's a mixture I make up with apple cider vinegar, water, lemon juice, and witch hazel. I mix big batches and fill a spray bottle. I spray the floors, pet bedding, dog house, and this year I even sprayed the dirt in certain areas (since it got so dry and the beneficial nematodes need moist ground to work in). Every morning before I go out, I spray my jeans below the knee, and my shoes. You just spray when you think you need to. It's doing a good job so far. If you want the measurements, let me know.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  12:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Id love the measurements, Wanda.

How far is Hallettsville, TX from Dallas? And which direction?

I'm 18 miles south of Greenville.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  12:33:19 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone that has pets has had the old flea problem once or twice. Not fun!!!

Yesterday I was out with my children and the smoke from the fires settled into the City and it
was very hard for people to breathe. I don't have asthma so it did not bother me but I didn't
stay out in it for long periods of time either. I have never seen smoke lay close to the ground
like that before either. Today is suppose to be another really bad smoke day...the smell is acrid.
But tomorrow the wind is suppose to change direction and should blow most of it out of here.

I didn't sleep well last night. I'm struggling with a situation with my mother and my Aunts death.
My mom didn't want to come to Portland to deal with her Sister's death, to dispose of her possession,
or take care of all the Legal Hoops with her money. So, my mom told me that if I would do it...she
would turn everything over to me legally including the Inheritance. She signed and had notarized all
the legal paperwork and faxed to me. You all know what my son and I have been going through. I didn't
want to do all this because of my Fibro/Chronic Fatigue and my age. It was a lot of work and still is.
Well, Hartford decided that as long as my Mother was living she was getting my Aunts Annuity...which is
what my Aunt had wanted. I was surprised when my mom had signed that over to me...but hey, I wasn't
going to turn it down. My son and I decided that we would split it 50/50 after we got all her bills paid
off. But up to this point there has been no $$$. It is still tied up waiting for Wed. when we can file
her Affidavit of Death with the State of Oregon. They have a forty day waiting period. So, all the expenses
have come out of our pockets (mostly my son's because I am on a fixed income). My Mother had said she
couldn't even pay for her sisters cremation. So, my son paid for it. Now that my mom has the Annuity IRA...
she has decided that she isn't going to give us any of it. Now, the 90% of the hard work is over...she has
decided to be greedy. Which is her right legally but let's just say it has driven a huge wedge between us.
She has all the money...and I'm now legally responsible for all the bills. 2 Credit Cards alone are over
$10,000. My son is owed 1,100 for cremation fees and two weeks off work with no pay to help me...and we still
aren't done dealing with all the problems. I asked my Mother to liquidate the IRA and pay her grandson back
at least...and she refused. I ended up hanging up on her because I just couldn't deal with it. God and I are
trying to hash this out between us. I'm mad and He won't allow me to stay that way and I am going to have to
forgive my Mother and move on...but right now I am too mad to do anything but pray about the whole situation.
All my life I have taken verbal abuse from her...and just sucked it up...and moved on. Well, this just maybe
the straw the broke the camels back. Please pray for me...I know my attitude stinks...but she flat out lied
to me just so she wouldn't have to deal with it all.

Thanks girls!

Love and hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  12:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
So sorry your mother is doing this to you, Peggy. Since she signed it over, isn't that notarized paper worth anything? Sometimes dealing with family is not easy or fun. Hopefully it will work itself out and your mother will have a change of heart and at least pay for what you have already spent with your own funds and credit cards.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  12:47:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda...but you don't know my Mother! She has always been very Narcisstic. I have a step-daughter who is also
Narcisstic but she is a Nice Narcisstic Personality and My Mother is a Mean Narcisstic personality. I'm not hoping for
a good outcome...I'm praying that God heals my heart and attitude.

Love Ya Girl,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  1:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Peggy. These times are hard on the heart and emotions. Between divorce, death, and 'steps' I really do understand. I don't hate any of them...just have no desire to be around them. Hang in there. God knows what He's doing.

Linda - Don't know how far it is from here to Dallas. But if you look down the map, almost in a straight line, you'll come to Victoria. My place is about 34 miles N/NE of Victoria.

The measurements for the spray are:

1 gal. apple cider vinegar
1/2 gal. water
16 oz. lemon juice
8 oz. witch hazel

You can divide it down. The first time I used: 1 pt., 1 c., 2 oz., 1 oz. to try it. It worked, so I went all out next time.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

prichmond9
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Peggy
Pelham Tennessee
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  6:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone, what a pleasant Sunday to sit on the porch and listen to the sounds of the evening coming down. Crickets and frogs in the creek and the even song of the birds. I love this time of day when supper is done and we can take some time to breathe a little deeper and just slow down. Yes, the East porch is screened in and is off the dining room so it is the official eating porch. I have pictures but just can't seem to find them right now, will have to take another to post. Our front porch is 50 ft long and there is a swing on the west end, the west porch also has a sitting area but it faces the sun and its really only pleasant there during the cooler part of the year. Here are some pictures looking both east and west. It's a chore to keep clean some times but truly our dream porch so I don't fuss too much about that. I've been reading your posts and we all seem to have our trials and I will pray that all of what is happening in our lives brings us closer to our Lord in both thought and deed. Look to the One that gives us true wisdom in all things and the answer will come. God bless and good night.

Farm girl #5880
Consider the possibilities
Wherever I am, that's where I will be.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  04:33:34 AM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn,
So sorry you are having to go through this. I will be praying for you. I deal with my dad on a daily basis and though he doesn't get out right mean he can be rough. He doesn't seem to think that anything that happens to him is anything to do with choices he has made in life. He does have good health though he did just have a triple bypass and hip and knee surgery. He has a strong heart but he has suffered from back trouble for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it is difficult not to feel like I am responsible to keep him happy. My family keeps telling me I have to let that go and realize I am not. I never really spent much time with my dad after I married, (we were military) I have days where for my own sake and health I need to just put on a cheery smile and hopes its catching. I do know that when it comes to money there is a tendency to make people a bit selfish. I will be praying for your mother as well.

Peggy,
Thanks for showing us pictures of your lovely porch. It looks like such a restful place. Very pretty too!

Just to touch on the flea problem, the only thing we have found that has truly worked is Zodiac spray. We wash the dogs with blue Dawn dish liquid and spray the carpets. furniture and hardwood flooring. (they tend to hide in the cracks of the floor)

Hope everyone has a good day!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  09:31:28 AM  Show Profile
Having a little better day. Messed up the internet. Finally straightened it out. 3 Rugs gone out of the house and now that the net is working, I need to get home and work on cleaning. We did a 3rd bombing and put borax out on the floors where the rugs were. vacuum and start washing walls. Hopefully no problems with the generator.

Wanda, Do you think that if I misted that mixture on new rugs from spring till fall, it would help with flea control? Also, do you think it might be safe to use on cats as those are the only pets I have right now.

Thanx. Hope you all have a good day.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love your porch, Peggy. And I need some advice/suggestions from my farmgirl friends with porches - real or virtual.

My front porch is very difficult to keep clean. I live on a ridge, and sometimes the wind blows the rocking chairs from one end to however far they can get. Mainly in the fall and winter. Unfortunately, it faces due north - good for constant breezes in the summer and spring, but a direct shot for the Blue Norther winds that come in the winter. If we get snow, it usually comes all the way to the front door. I've thought about having it screened in - I think I would use it more and that would help cut down the winds a bit. 2 years ago I put up roll-up blinds, and I hung them high enough so when they were rolled up they were above the edge of where they were hung. Within 2 days, they were both blown to smithereens across the yard from the breezes that flowed from side to side. I'd love to be able to decorate with the change of seasons/holidays, but everything blows away if it isn't nailed down. As soon as I clean it this afternoon I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  10:43:32 AM  Show Profile
Bless your heart, Lorie. I do not envy you for what you have ahead.

I think it would depend on the color of your new carpet (that said, no matter what the color, you might be shooting yourself in the foot by getting more...just my opinion, because fleas love carpet and rugs). I have pine floors and it hasn't harmed them at all. I don't use chemicals anywhere, so that's out of the question for me. Sometimes I wonder if the little suckers don't get immune to them, and we end up with super fleas!

The little varmints usually hitch a ride in on us, which is why I spray my shoes and lower legs before going out in the morning. I really rely on the beneficial nematodes two or three times a year. In a case like yours, which I had, myself, several years ago, that would be my first move. I don't know what your weather is like right now and, like I said, they need moist soil (for about two weeks) to work in. However, if you've been using chemicals in your yard, it would just kill them.

I wouldn't spray it on my cats. I use an herbal collar on mine, by PetGuard. I get them from either drugstore.com or luckyvitamin.com (would have to check). It comes to about $5 per kitty, per month.

When I started using the spray, I sprayed the whole house and every time I saw a flea, I sprayed again. Now it's just in spots, off and on. In the cat house they were bad and I sprayed the entire floor morning and evening for several days. Now, just off and on when I see a flea.

My first thought was...what did you do with the carpet you removed? There were probably millions of eggs in there. If you didn't carefully roll and dispose of it - as in burn - Uh-Oh.

Hope that's helpful, although I know that last part was not good to see.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  12:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Wanda, We threw the old carpets out! Little smarter than the average husband at times and in some areas. LOL! The way our house is made from reclaimed wood and beams (from the original house that was there) the house is not very square. We don't have a level floor in the place let alone the subflooring (made of reclaimed planks) matching up to lay flat. Needless to say, in our loft in places, there are gaps 1/8 to 1/2 inch wide between boards. He won't laminate over the boards with plywood and so linoleum would tear. We didn't build it. It was built in the 60's. Can see the scurf marks from the axe used to hewn the beams. Husband won't listen to reason about putting down linoleum. Hence rugs (which I HATE!). I'm dreading what he chose. Bluish gray for our son's room. Oatmealish for the hall and silverish gray for the loft (our bedroom). I couldn't go with him because I had some training for work. (mentally beating head against wall). Weather wise, we're hot and humid for Maine (high 70's with about 60 to 90% humidity).

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  1:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh me, Lorie. You "threw" them out? Can I ask where they went from there? And your weather sounds like ideal flea weather. Not very uplifting, I know.

You sort of remind me of myself. I'm not smiling...honest. Okay, just a little. It's your description of things. The house reminds me of this one, sort of - new flooring and mostly redone...screwed up by one drunk carpenter, two who didn't know what they were doing, and a former husband who is famous for causing more problems than he fixed. And I'm left to deal with it.

I wish I could help you, but your situation really reminds me of some of my own dealings and I know what you're talking about. I do wish you the best.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

prichmond9
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Peggy
Pelham Tennessee
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  4:02:32 PM  Show Profile
Linda, when the wind is blowing I gather everything into the corner of the east porch near the screened in area. Put it back out for sitting, sometimes this is a daily thing, my chairs are turned facing the wall of the porch they are heavy and won't really blow except to turn over if the wind catches them just right. In winter, my porch doesn't get used a lot for sitting so I winterize, store cushions, rugs away. Forces me to clean them before storing and they stay there for a few months, our winters are mild and rarely have snow on the porch but do get blowing rain. Items hanging that aren't nailed down to the wall get taken in also. Make it easy on yourself. I actually have 3-4 plastic totes that I store things in over in the screened in side of the porch which is the east side and the most protected. Our wind blows from the north west, rarely do we have a serious southern blow. Porches are subject to the elements so I have learned to deal with that, some days are worse than others, but for the most part our weather is mild both winter and summer. Enjoy the Porch when you can.

Farm girl #5880
Consider the possibilities
Wherever I am, that's where I will be.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  4:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Peggy. I will start packing things up, too. That's what I figured I'd have to start doing. Sometimes I am gone when the winds pick up, so I will have to pack up when I can. It is nice to have a breeze when sitting out there. In the winter I pack everything away in the garage.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  4:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Ok, ladies. I need help with a plant growing like...well, like a weed. It has reddish stems and berries that kind of look like elderberries but really aren't.

So, what is it? Is it poison or can I leave it for the birds? It grows all along our fence line. Hubby wants to cut it all down, but if it is ok to eat, he'll leave it alone.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  5:49:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies,
Happy Monday to all of you. My sons began college and both said it was not a bad day. The one living at home is feeling better. He will continue to keep eye out for place to live that is closer. He and his twin have had a hard time adjusting to being apart. Starting classes today was a good thing for them both. I think once they have made it through the first week it will get a bit easier.

Peggy Ann I am so sorry for all that you are going through with your mom. I will certainly keep yall in prayer.
Judy so sorry for the loss of Patsy's uncle. Keeping yall in prayer and hoping yall are together soon.

It was a great start to my week with my little butterflies. We are getting into routine and starting to get going on work. I need to get to bed a bit earlier as I am still on summer time.

well I hope you all had a great start to the week.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  6:29:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, PeggyAnn...this is just a fine kettle of fish! Hugs to you for all you and your son are going through! Sounds like your mom is being a pistol again. I hope you are able to put it in your Lord's hands as you have encouraged me for years. Its it only thing that works for me and gives me peace. He will find a way to pay the son back if not through your mother. Good luck with all of that. I'll be praying.

TLTammy- Sounds like you are off to a great start for the school year!

Prichmond9- So nice to meet you on the porch! Love your porches by the way! I still dream of a screened in porch!

Judy- So sorry to hear of yet another loss for Patsy! Seems like Uncle Chick managed to touch your life also. Will says prayers of comfort for both of you.

Wanda- Can't remember if I said howdy to you on the porch yet. So, Howdy boy howdy. I'm in a weird mood tonight. Could be the endoscopy I had today and the "good" drugs they gave me to go with it. (endoscopy was just a follow-up...no bad news. PTL)

Jumping off for a while. Hugs!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  12:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Well, I will be blown away...all of a sudden The Porch got busy again!!! I love it when it gets like this/all the
chitter-chatter and the sound of rocking chairs squeaking the floor boards.

OK girls, now that we have two Peggys on The Porch I will go back to using my full name...so as not to confuse
anyone.

Peggy...you have the most amazing Porch...I would just die for a Porch like that! It just draws me in and makes me
want to sit down and never leave. LOL It is just ideal!!! You don't see many porches like that any more. At least
in my neck of the woods.

Linda...I am happy to say that God was working on my heart and attitude all weekend. My Mother is 82 and there is
no changing her at this point in her life. But I did call her and told her how hurt I was by her actions...which
only made me feel better to get it off my chest, but If you have ever dealt with a Narcissistic Person everything
comes to how they feel...they don't care about others. So, by the end of the conversation...I turned my Mother
over to my husband who has excellent skills when it comes to defusing hostility between people. I feel better
today, God changed me and not my mom...I got to voice how I felt...even if she didn't listen. She will keep the $
and my son and I...once all my Aunts bills are paid and my son is paid back from the Estate...we will probably get
about 1500 dollars a piece. That will at least off set the time and stress of this nightmare for me. And we will
all be at peace one I can close the other two Bank Accounts and put this to bed for good. My mom keeps telling me that
when she dies I will get the Inheritance from my Aunt along with hers. Which at this point...I could care less.
I have always lived by God's provisions and I continue to live that way now and in the future too. I Love My Mom
despite herself because she is my Mother. But I have discovered through this 3 ring circus...that I think I am
seeing some early signs of dementia in her. She says one thing and two minutes later says the exact opposite...and
my son and I just sit there and scratch our heads trying to make sense of her ranting. So, I will need to keep an
eye on her a little more. She is 400 miles away...but I do talk to her twice a week at least. So, thanks girls for
all your prayers and good thoughts. You know the old saying "Some times God calms the storm and sometimes he calms
his child in the midst of the Storm." I'm at Peace even though I don't agree how she has handled it all. My only
real concern is that my son gets re-reimbursed and It looks like I will have enough in one of her Bank-accounts to
pay him back and pay all her debts. I'm good with that.

Kathy...I don't know what your weed is...but like all weeds...it looks very hardy. LOL Hope someone else knows.

Wanda...I loved you description of the drunk carpenter and ex-husband who made each project worse than when he
started. LOL My husband has never been a handy-man either (even though he thinks he is). That is one thing I love
about living in an Apartment in our retirement years...he can't do any remodeling projects...thank you Jesus!!

Teacher Tammy...so glad to hear that everyone got into the groove of another school year. I am sure your boys are
going to love College. It will be hard for them not to be around each other so much considering they are twins...
but in some ways I am sure the at least want to test the waters and see if they can swim independently of each
other. ~ Thanks for your prayers...I so covet them.

Judith...same with you girl...I love knowing my Christian friends are praying for me. I knew all weekend even
though I was struggling that God would come to my rescue and he did. Nothing has changed but me...and that is
exactly what I needed to have happen. Thank you!!! Hope you have been on some fun excursions this summer with
your hubby.

Ok, My Lovelies...I'm off to bed. Spent all day on the phone except for a couple hours with my Aunt's Creditors.
Everyone was very nice and very helpful...but it was all those long waits on the phone to get the help...that
wore me out.

Bless You All,
PeggyAnn

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

RabbitGirl
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Laura
St Augustine FL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  04:45:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! I'm kind of new around here but hoping for some friendly people to chat with and this seems like a friendly porch.

I grew up in NYC and we didn't have porches. We had stoops. We had some fun times on the stoop. My grandfather, who was a real pistol, would go out on the stoop every evening after dinner and start calling the neighbors. Literally. He'd start yelling out the neighbor's names at the top of his lungs and here they'd come walking up the block to sit on our stoop.

I was just a kid but their conversations were fascinating to me. I learned more about history on that porch than I did at school because they were always talking about the Depression, WWI and WW2, the Jazz Age and some real old timers talked about when cars and airplanes came into being. My grandfather was an immigrant so some of the most interesting stories were about coming to the USA full of his hopes and dreams and working extremely hard in whatever kind of work he could find. He was a coalminer, a busboy, a shipsmate, a window washer, an elevator man...he did it all.

But it wasn't just history. There was constant laughter and jokes and teasing. You could hear the laughter all the way down the block and then more people would come. Sadly, it wasn't always happy talk ( just like on this porch). Sometimes people needed an ear to talk about money problems, legal troubles or trouble with spouses and kids but they usually left laughing after a visit on the stoop. The saddest was when my grandfather died. Somehow, it wasn't the same anymore so the tradition slowly died with him.

Wow. You ladies inspired some great memories for me so thank you! I'm glad I found this porch so I can get back a little piece of that stoop again. I am looking forward to getting to know you all on this porch.

Laura
St Augustine, FL

Edited by - RabbitGirl on Aug 25 2015 06:19:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  06:04:01 AM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn - Glad you got a laugh out of that. Actually, my former husband was a prime example of narcissism. He never actually did much, except to get attention (although, yes, he did usually mess it up). What he did was always give orders and make decisions without thinking them through. Then, the screw-up was always somebody else's fault.

Don't laugh, but I never even knew what narcissism meant until I started studying writing. One of the books was on character traits and, since I'd heard the term, I decided I needed to find out what it meant. As I read, my mouth fell open and I remember thinking, "Oh my Lord! There are others out there like him!" Scary. He had to know what 'good' was, or he couldn't have done such a good acting job for others. But, with us, he was cold, cruel, down right mean...and he enjoyed seeing what it did to us. Several of us were almost ready for the guys in the white jackets before we finally got out.

I thank God that I and my children can have some peace now.

Lorie - I forgot to mention something I do for fleas. A company used to make a product that was wonderful for spraying under the house (I didn't use it in the yard because it would kill beneficial nematodes, but you could). Because of a dispute between companies who made and marketed it, they stopped making it. I had the bottle so I figured the percentages and mixed my own.

In a 32 oz. bottle (the kind you hook the water hose up to), I mix a little emulsifier (I use baking soda, salt, or apple cider vinegar), and essential oils - 1 oz. White Thyme and 1 oz. Clove. Then I fill with water, hook to hose and spray under buildings (shaking often). An extra plus is that my yard smells so good for a couple weeks after I spray that people want to know what is blooming!

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  07:50:07 AM  Show Profile
Good morning dear porchies :) I am taking a few minutes out of the chaos of school to sit and join you ladies :) Things here are crazy hectic. We are STILL waiting for the arrival of Emi. I get crazy intense contractions for HOURS and then POOF they disappear. So frustrating. In the meantime, I am trying to get my kids to work on their school. With not knowing when Emi is coming, our schedule is a little... errrrr... no... A LOT off! This really throws the children off! I have five of them in school this year o.O Not to mention the 2 yo that plays. And gets into stuff. Everywhere. Other than that, things are relatively quiet. The house has still not sold, but we have a ton of showings, so we are hopeful. Normal amount of showings in this area are 4-5 per month.... We have had over a dozen in less than a month! So hopefully the right person will come along.

Sounds like a lot of issues with fleas this year. We too are having some issues :( It is the first time since living in SC (almost 11 years!) that we have had any issues! They started after moving into the rental :( We have treated the yard and our poor dog, but looks like we are going to have to again! THey are definitely better, as the kids were getting eaten pretty bad from sitting with the dog on the carpet. In DE we use to have "sand fleas" - not sure if that is what we are dealing with here or not.

Kathy - I can so empathize with the situation with your daughter. My oldest daughter is bound and determined that when we get chickens again, she will only be taking care of the laying hens and not the meat birds... I have tried explaining that the laying hens will be rotated out into the meat birds, but she declares she will not eat them. I keep joking we are going to buy strictly black australorps so she cannot tell them all apart ;) As for your "weed" - we too get those at times! I have no clue what it is though!!!

Wanda - hoping things are going well with your book!!

PeggyAnn - Oh how my heart hurts for you with the situation with your aunt passing/son/mom! So much stress!!! And you already had a lot on your plate! Thankful you lean on God to get you through though. Isn't He amazing like that! When you look at it from the "outside," you wouldn't think you would be able to make it through, but He always gives us just what we need... And even through the trials we face, He grows us. It is so hard for me to be thankful for my trials when I am going through them, but once we are through them, and I look back, I am generally thankful for how I have changed and grown!

Peggy - Oh how I love your porch! One day we will build our house out west (or buy one, lol) and have a porch. One day.... Sometimes life is all about dreaming :) It gives us something to look forward to and work towards :) Though I also must remind myself to enjoy today :)

Laura - LOVE hearing about your grandfather!!!! What an awesome story! And welcome to the porch!!!

DRAMA - Sooooo just received a certified letter... my old neighbor... the unstable one... just sent me a bill saying I "vandalized" her property and damaged her fence when I was nailing those nails in and I owe her money within 30 days. I cannot even move to get away from her! Having a hard time breathing and calming down. I know it is not good for the baby and I need to, but completely stressed.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page