Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  1:38:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone :) Life here is happening at a rapid speed! We went up to Maryland this past weekend to say goodbye to our families. It was truly a lovely visit! We spent time with both sides and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Unfortunately, we are all now sick, but I guess that is how it goes :) We are still waiting on our orders and for things to move more quickly on the house, but everything looks extremely promising :)

PG Tammy - Oh my heart hurts for you!!!! I am so sorry about your furbabies!!!!

Heather - I received my gorgeous tea package and was over the moon in love :) Love love love it!!! And oh my those pictures of your jerseys! WOW what gorgeous cows! How I miss my cow milk!!!!!

Sabrina - How is house hunting going? I might have missed it, but ether your realtor really got on the ball, or you switched to a new one!!!

Peggy - Wow! Housing sounds like a bear in your area!!! Happy Anniversary! Sounds like your hubby really spoiled you :)

Judy - (((HUGS))) I'm sure you miss Patsy! Glad she got home safely though! But oh the work she went home to :( So very very sad!

TL Tammy - You sound exhausted! Praying you find a balance soon.... and I agree you need to say "no" to people! It is amazing how hard it can be to say that little word to others... I've learned the hard way, though, by not saying no to others, I am saying no to my family (as I cannot give them 100%) and to myself (I WILL burn out!).

Well I need to go work on dinner. Brought some cupcakes and tea. Enjoy :)

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  01:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone. Things continue to be busy around here. Our (new) realtor is amazing. She went and looked at the house that is our top choice yesterday. It looks great and very promising but there are a few issues we need to get more info on before we make an offer. Hopefully those end up being minor things and we can make an offer by the end of this week or early next week. We aren't really in a hurry but this property is almost exactly what we are looking for and we don't want to miss out on it. We just need to make sure it will pass a va inspection.

We are still trying to figure out how to get the dog to Kansas. The RV place won't rent one way to us like we hoped. Honestly I'm loosing patience with it and sick of being stressed about this. At this point I'd just give away both animals but over here it is really hard to do and I would want them to go to someone who knows all their issues and is willing to deal with them AND willing to jump through hoops to get them back to the US. People here act like you are a terrible person if you rehome animals though so there is that too. I feel stuck and stressed and don't know what to do. Oh and the cat is stressing me out too she keeps peeing on beds. If we don't let her outside she pees on someone's bed. But when we move and are in hotels we can't let her out.....we also can't have her messing up hotel rooms. Ugh this is such a pain (and an EXPENSIVE pain).

Prairie Tammy-I don't remember if I said before but I'm sorry for your losses. I hope you are doing ok.

Teacher Tammy-I agree with others about slowing down but I know that could be impossible, bosses don't always take no for an answer even if what they want you to do is unreasonable.

Peggy-that sounds like a wonderful anniversary.

Heather-oh goodness what great pictures! I can't wait to have a Jersey cow although it will probably be a year or two before we attempt that.

Well pray for my sanity we have to make some sort of decision about our travel plans today or tomorrow, especially if we have to change these plane tickets. And we are running out of options. Also pray the house works out or that if it isn't meant to be that will become obvious. I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic as I really love the property.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  11:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Porchies...

Sabrina... animals are so Special to our hearts but always a problem when moving. Even to just a different
house and you have to contend with moving from Country to Country. I do not envy what you are having to go
through. Sorry about the stress levels however! I could NOT tolerate a Cat peeing on beds...but I think
your cat must be pretty perceptive and knows that something is going on with all of you. Praying that the Lord
goes before you and smooths the path...as the scripture assures us he does for his children.

Shannon...you too have the moving with the Military problems...so my prayers for you are the same. Trust God
to go before you and smooth the road and handle the obstacles in your path. And yes, our housing Market is
a nightmare in the North West. I do not know how people are making it...especially low income people. You
almost have to share housing or apartments to do it these days. That is why my husband freaks out if I
start purging things around the Apartment...he thinks I'm in the moving mood again. LOL I can't afford to be
and he knows it...but it is kind of humorous.

I got my walk in early this morning (ok early for me)...I was hitting the pavement at 8:00 am. It was nice and
cool out which is how I love to walk because I create so much body heat as I am a fast walker. I have had
people ask me before if I was cold and how come I didn't have a jacket on? It is too much to tell people I am
always hot because my Thermostat is broken. LOL As I was almost done with my walk I saw what I thought was
an Owl sitting on a cyclone fence...but as I got closer it was a huge hawk. So, I started shooting pictures of
it and creeping closer and closer. Then as I got as close as I dared he looked right at me and started lifting
his wings...so, I knew he was ready to take flight. I got a good shot of him coming up off the fence but I
wished I could have got a shot with his wings stretched out but I missed it as it happened so fast. I felt
pretty good about the shots I did get though. I have noticed that the animals and birds are getting very fat
and fluffy this Fall...so, I think it is a sign that our winter will be colder and longer. Then when I got
into our Apartment Complex I saw the Manager's cat sleeping on the hood of a car that had a warm engine...so,
I took his picture. He is kind of a pretty cat...but my Scotty would love to chase him any day of the week...
and rid the complex of him. It is so funny...because that cat drives Snickers wild.

Teaching the first night of Bible Study tonight. I should say I'm reteaching the same lesson we ended study
with in late Spring as so many people missed out on it...and we still have one week of it before we move onto
Beth Moore's new study "Entrusted". One week in Beth's Study translates to one month in my studies...as I
teach more in depth.

OK ladies...I'm off for now. More tomorrow. Have a Blessed Thursday Girls!!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  1:18:52 PM  Show Profile
Peggy - happy anniversary! We feed the new babies if we haven't seen them nursing within a few hours of their birth. That way we know they got a belly full of good colostrum. Usually once we feed them they go get more from mom. Sometimes mom's too busy trying to bathe the baby and the babies don't stay up very long the first couple days. It's more for my piece of mind really. We didn't have to feed her again until we separated them a few days later. (but I still tried twice a day just to make sure she was full).

Judy - love the name Justine! Mom's name is Carolyn.

Well, Off to milking I go. Hopefully this is the last evening of sweating buckets while doing the chores. I hear this weekend is supposed to be nice and I can't wait! It's too humid right now. Hard on me and the cows LOL!!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2016 :  03:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Well we got good news and bad news yesterday. I guess that is how it goes.

The good news is we now have all the people AND all the animals booked on flights from here to Kansas City. We also have a pet friendly hotel room reserved for the night we have to spend in baltimore between flights. We have to arrange rental cars still but with the flights getting that close it should be easier (we can rent a car and return it in Kansas City if we need to so it doesn't cost an arm and a leg). I will need to arrange where we are going to stay once we get to Ft Riley soon but I'm waiting a little longer to see what happens with our house search first.

The bad news is the house we really liked has structural issues in the basement. There was a repair done 8 years ago but the realtor feels like there is evidence that more damage has occurred and we think that the repair done was more of a band aid and the actual issue causing the problems was just left there. The owner can't find the paperwork from the foundation company who did the repairs to give us any details about what they did or if there is a warranty. We could get it inspected but we are concerned it would be an ongoing issue. Granted it is a 100 year old house and we didn't expect no issues but basement/foundation issues can be such a huge problem. So I think we aren't going to go with that one.

Since that was really our last option on 2+ acres in the area (there is one that we saw that would be OK but I don't love it) I adjusted my search criteria and we found two more our realtor is going to look at today (well one I found and another she knew of and showed me after I told her about that one). They are both older homes but in much better shape. The first is on 1.5 acres but it is in the city limits and there are a lot of restrictions on animals. We basically couldn't have anything, not even backyard chickens. But we could have a big garden and fruit trees etc (there may already be some on the property it doesn't specifically say but there are quite a few trees). It is pretty private and close to where hubby would be working. The house is really neat and has preserved a lot of the original features. The second house is in the country so no animal restrictions but it is 25 miles from where hubby will be working and it is only an acre. It also has a lot of landscaping that takes away from the useable property for animals. The other downfall is it is near a chicken "farm" (really just a massive barn full of chickens) and I'm concerned about the smell. The house seems to be in excellent shape though and is really cute. She is going to see them both today for us so hopefully we like one. Even going down to only looking for 1 acre those are pretty much the only options we like. There are a few others but I either don't like the neighborhood or the house is small. I guess if I don't like either of these we will wait and see if anything else becomes available. We wouldn't feel so rushed but we want to be moved in before baby arrives!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

opengatefarm
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Sonja
Merrill WI
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2016 :  4:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Can't seem to figure out how to add a photo.

Edited by - opengatefarm on Sep 09 2016 4:16:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

opengatefarm
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Sonja
Merrill WI
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2016 :  4:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Hello all, have been quiet for some time. My latest MJ magazine just came in the mail today and I thought I would hop on and see if the forums were still running. Should have known the Sisters would not let me down.
It has been a busy summer and now our 3 littles are back in school and our oldest has gone on to his first year at college. Over the summer my husband decided he was tired of watching me battle the never ending quack grass in our main garden area. It used to be a hay field and apparently it did not know that it was not welcome. Over the years it has invaded more and more and this year he declared the battle over but the garden war not lost. Week by week, he has built new raised beds for me to put on a section of our lawn. He also gave me the old truck to use for myself and each week I get 3/4 yard of dirt in it, one truck load at a time and roll it off into the new 4x8 bed. He has built 11, we have that many more to go. Each time a row of beds is built and filled, I run to the local lumber company and get a yard of mulch for very cheap to put between the boxes. I also have planted each box as it was completed, and the first of the fall beans and tomatoes are being picked this weekend.
My favorite thing is to sit out next to the fire pit I dug and lined with a tractor tire rim and sip on a beer while watching our new chickens Yep. What really started this whole project twenty-two weeks ago was our daughter begging her father for a few layers. He said yes. As we discussed coop plans, he admitted that he had purchased and hidden a large pile of cedar with the intent of making me a chest. Well girls, I have the worlds larges cedar chest now! Two buff orpingtons, two ameraucanas, and one barred rock now grace our new space clucking away while eating bugs. The plan is to add on 2-3 new hens every year and then start butchering them out after the fall of their third year. Hoping to have a flock of around ten or maybe a dozen eventually.
So happy to be back on the forum, looking forward to catching up on everyone else's farm life.

Sonja
Farmgirl #5671

Because everyone should have a little dirt under their nails...

Edited by - opengatefarm on Sep 09 2016 4:29:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  10:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sonja...WELCOME BACK!!! I clicked on that little box and it did take me to your picture. Wow those raised beds look beautiful and so does the Chicken Coop. Thank you for sharing the picture! A lot of work but a beautiful
job on everything. It is great that you planted a fall garden too. This is the first year I haven't planted
veggies...in about 12 years. But I had 3 bad harvests so it took the wind out of my sails. I live in an Apartment
so I do my veggie garden in 4 huge containers. This year I planted flowers in them. LOL At least they are pretty!

Sabrina...sounds like God and The Realtor are looking out for your best interest. You wouldn't want to buy a
Home with basement issues. And it sounds like it is quite old besides. I know God has the perfect place for you.
Also, glad you got the critters transportation taken care of.

Well, woke up at 7:00 and got my walk done. Was nice and comfortable out there but it is suppose to be in the
low to mid 80's later. I do not like to walk in the heat...as I sweat enough already. LOL
Hubby and dog are back to sleep. I may do the same thing in awhile. I don't like to get up so early...especially when I only got 5 hrs sleep.

Judy...did Patsy get all the mold taken care of? Do you have to wash the walls down with bleach when that happens or just an anti-mold and mildew spray? I have never had to deal with that before. ~ How come the VA is so stinken
slow about everything??? I always feel sorry for Vets trying to get a little help with their medical issues. We should take better care of them than we do.

OK girlies...off for now. Maybe more later!

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 10 2016 10:27:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  2:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Sonja, I to clicked the box and was amazed at those beautiful raised beds AND also your gorgeous chicken coupe.That sky is pretty too.
Peg, I don't know what Patsy uses to remove mold. I know she mentioned a cloth on a broom to reach the ceilings. That's all I know. Now I'll have to ask her. *giggle*
We are having our last really hot day for awhile... high 80's. Then we drop into the 70's for a few days. Yeaaaa! A cool morning to go to church tomorrow, Lord willing!
Doing laundry but otherwise not moving much.
Later Gators!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"Give a weed an inch and it'll take a yard!"
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  12:38:32 AM  Show Profile
Sonja-those beds and coop are all lovely what a great job you and your husband have done!! We will be having similar projects soon!

Peggy-we actually love the idea of an old house. We appreciate the beauty and quality of older workmanship rather than the new stuff that seems to fall apart almost immediately. We had a new house in GA and it was awful, the house we live in here that was built 5 or 6 years ago is just as bad. But we definitely don't want one with basement issues.

After a bit of a whirlwind on Friday we are under contract on a house!!! Of course we have to get inspections and appraisals before all is said and done but our realtor feels confident that there will be no issues. It is another older house built in 1880 and is so neat! It is a rock house that has been covered with stucco and is very very solid (no basement issues there!). It has been very well maintained and updated. It is on 1 acre in the country. There are neighbors right next to it on one side but the rest of the neighbors are down the street a ways and we are told the people right next door are wonderful people. It will be nice to have someone close when Dustin is away. Once we outgrow the acre (if we outgrow it) we will just start keeping our eyes and ears open for anyone nearby selling or leasing a few acres of land.

It is crazy how it happened. Our realtor went to see two houses. She facetimes us from the houses so we can see them. She went to this one first. We really liked it and honestly if it were on two or more acres probably would have told her not to even go to the other house. The fact that it was on 1 acre and that was a little less than we were hoping for was the only thing that made us unsure. It is a bit of a drive to work for Dustin but not as far as the other farm house that didn't work out. And HE really liked it-which will make the drive easier for him. She went to the next house. The second house was a really neat HUGE historic house. It was on 1.5 acres-well that is what the listing says but I'm not convinced it was really that much. The problem is it was in the center of a city block. It had two apartment complexes backed up to it and several other houses all pretty close. None of them had fences. Plus there are strict restrictions on any animals in town (other than dogs and cats). We wouldn't even have been able to have chickens. As neat as the house was I wasn't feeling it was right. So the realtor goes back to her office and Dustin and I continued discussing the first house. By this time is was 10pm or later our time. Now I should add the house we were interested in had been on the market for a year. A few minutes later we get a text from the realtor saying the house we like just had an offer come in and that offer required the owners to decide by 8pm their time (about 4 or 5 hours from then) and if we want it we need to make an offer NOW. So we did, they accepted our offer and here we are! It was about 11pm our time when we submitted the offer and 1:30am when the sellers accepted it! Crazy but I feel like we were being nudged to do it. If all goes well we will have a house to go to as soon as we arrive in Kansas (no furniture or anything but a house LOL).

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  02:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sonja, nice raised beds. I have the same and they have worked beautifully. I do square foot gardening so my husband divided the beds accordingly and I have no weeds at all. So easy to maintain. Chicken coop nice too.

Sabrina, you are brave buying a house without being there to walk through. I don't know if I could have done that. Congratulations. Glad you got your furbabies situated.

Judy, it has been so hot and humid here. I am ready for fall. My mother lived in Florida and used bleach water for the mold. She hated it.

Peggy, do you feel better since you walk, Fibromyalgia wise that is?

Went to bed 1030 back up at 330. Soooo hot! I guess I'll make some scallion sauce in the crockpot since I'm awake.

Have a blessed day.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  09:17:52 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina - SOOOOOOOO excited for you!!!!!! And super glad you switched realtors!!! It is the weirdest thing to move into a house unseen... Brad hs at least seen ours... but I understand the "weird-ness" yet the comfort of knowing you have a home to go to! Looking forward to hearing all about it!!!!! (Is there a link so we can see what it looks like and dream along with you?) How is the pregnancy going?

Peggy - I love hearing your walking stories! I've quit walking again :( We got sick, then went to Maryland, and now that we are home, we have sick kiddos again! I cannot seem to get rid of the mold in this house and am wondering if that is why!!!! The house maintenance people just say to wipe it with bleach and they will paint over it! Makes me wonder how much is actually in this house!!!

Sonja - Welcome back! I love the looks of your chicken coop!!!!! Where did you get the plans for building it??? Would love to have hubby build one like it!

Judy - oh how lovely to have 70 degree weather!!! My brother called the other day to tell me they were having a 50 degree day... we were having a 90 degree one!!! Silly turkey!!! (Yup - that is the nicest adjective to describe him right now, for calling me to harass me about how nice it is out there - he is SD, about 1.5 hours east of where we will be moving!)

Darlene - Oh I am so sorry you couldn't sleep!!!! I think the mono is still playing havoc on me... I am going to bed between 9 and 10, and sleeping until 9 or so in the morning! I usually need eight hours of sleep, but recently 12 seems to be magic number! Plus I am taking naps!!!

We ended up having to push the date for closing back on our house in Wyoming :( We were suppose to close on the 15 of this month and now it is set up for the 14th of October. We are STILL waiting for orders! Silly people!!!!! They need to speed things up!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  12:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Wow!...I awoke to sunny, blue skies, dew point in low 50's and 72. Now, at 3pm it's only 78. THANK YOU GOD!!!* giggle*
AND I think He knew how miserable I've been with this heat, humidity and no a/c. So He let me sleep in this morning. I woke up at 11 and was SHOCKED. What happened to my alarm clock? I set it and turned it on...I reset it when I realized it was set for last weeks church and this weeks choice started 1/2 hour later. I checked it... it was still set, still ready to go off... what else could I think? GOD, in his infinite wisdom, let me sleep in? Right?
Make it a great SonDay Gals!!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"Give a weed an inch and it'll take a yard!"
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  4:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Happy Sonday Porchies...

Judy...you weren't the only one who slept in. Hubby and I were going to try a new Church and he couldn't
sleep all night so he left me a note to tell me to shut my alarm off we weren't going...as he needed
sleep and I remember saying "Praise The Lord...I so need more sleep!" So, I slept until 11:00 and he slept
until 12:30 and got up an ate some cereal then went back to bed. I walked the dog 3/4ths of a mile and
came home and dutifully called my Mother and listened to her for 2 1/2 hours. Now I'm finally doing my email
and farmgirls posts...while watching the last quarter of the Seattle Seahawks game. Very low scoring game...
but Seahawks have had the lead until right now...now Miami is ahead up by 4 but only 4 minutes left in the
game. ~ Glad you got some sleep girl and that you are having PERFECT Weather. Ours is cooler today too 71.

Sabrina...Oh, don't get me wrong...I love Old Houses too. So Much more Charming and full of character. But also
usually have hidden problems too. Older Pipes, electrical systems, Cracks from settling etc. Hopefully yours
has been upgraded in those areas. Sounds like it was a God Thing though! Which is always a good thing...as His
directing of our steps is the best way to go.

Shannon...The Government never does anything in a hurry. It is always "Hurry up and wait!" Mold in a House can
really affect your health. If you have mold issues there you will probably all feel better once you move.l

Darlene...I wish I could say that I feel a lot better since I'm walking so much...but actually I feel the
same. And there are many days I go out there merely putting one foot in front of the other...but I know it
helps my brain with the endorphins and helps my heart. I have always enjoyed walking all my life for the
pure beauty of it and health of it. But it does not help my Fibro...in fact I push against my Fibro to succeed
in making my over all heart health better. I use a Fitbit to keep me Motivated. I am a competitive person...even if I only keep against myself. LOL But I have a growing list of Fitbit Pals...some are from MJF. Cj usually
kicks my butt on Fitbit and that is OK...she is also one of my biggest Cheerleaders. I half walked over 1,000 miles since the middle of January and I'm pretty proud of that. There were times when I couldn't even walk 10
minutes twice a day...because of the Medications I was on for Fibro. The only Fibro Meds I take now are a
muscle relaxer to keep them form jumping all night long.

OK Ladies...nap time I think!

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

opengatefarm
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Sonja
Merrill WI
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  05:00:46 AM  Show Profile
Morning ladies,
Between the heat and the house buying I think you all lead very exciting lives! We have been in the same house for almost 11 years, that being the longest I have ever lived in one house I think. I have the itch to move, but we will probably wait until our youngest is out of school in nine years. You never know though, God's plan sometimes is different. I think it would be exciting to move to a house that I had never seen before, .
Church was a little bit crazy yesterday, I had to sing and things have changed so much with the music over the last month while we had been out of town that I told my accompanist I felt like I had been plopped down in a new place. Made it through just fine, but nothing like being kept on your toes!
I would not trade you all for the heat, Wisconsin is finally cooler, but the sleeping in sounds heavenly. I am usually up at about 5:20 so that I have time to pee, roll laundry, pour a cup of coffee and start breakfast before I have to wake the littles up at 5:40. They have to be out the door to catch the bus by 6:10 as we live out in the country and school starts for middle two at 7:25. I am not really sure why it takes that long to get there, I think they must have cut down on the bus numbers for budget purposes. If I was to throw them in the car, it would only take about 15 minutes to get to their school but because of my work schedule we signed them up for the bus.
I teach yoga at two different studios in town, this mornings class is all stretching and long holds of poses. Love this group of people, fall between 55 and 75 and they are always so chipper in the morning. I took August off with all of our traveling, so I am really looking forward to seeing them.
Have a lovely day ladies,
Sonja

Edited by - opengatefarm on Sep 12 2016 05:03:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  05:22:29 AM  Show Profile
Yes it is brave and weird buying a house I haven't actually stood in but I trust our realtor and she really seems to "get" what we want even though it is different than her own lifestyle. She facetimes with us at the house so we can see everything or ask her to look closer at something etc and we will get very thorough inspections done. We are honestly not all that picky either. I mean if we were living on base we would have no say about the kind of house. We just want something big enough and with a bit of space to stretch out and have some critters. Which this has!

Here is the link on trulia: http://www.trulia.com/property/884032-5955-Flush-Rd-Saint-George-KS-66535

Peggy-it seems like everything has been updated and very well maintained. I asked for specifics about the pipes and electric systems and we haven't seen any evidence of settling. All of that should also be checked by the inspector.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  07:04:33 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina - Brave and weird... Great adjectives! Hadn't thought about the brave aspect. I think I am just crazy, hahahahaha. I wish we had thought to facetime or something. Brad had forgotten to take pictures of the house when he was there, so the only ones I have seen are on the internet!!! I have to admit, I wish you were moving there sooner so we could stop by on our way out west and officially meet!!!! How are the children doing with the prospect of moving? My 10 yo is having days where he just cannot function at full capacity, with the anxieties building up! I'll be honest - as excited as I am, I too am starting to get a little "ping-y". This is to be our "forever home" so we get to make of it what we want. Is it exactly what we have dreamed of - no - but it certainly as possibilities :)

Judy - yay for sleeping in!!!! I LOVE how God gives us what we need!!!! He is infinitely wise and loving!!! I know that moving next month instead of this month somehow works for His perfect plan... I just need to trust Him and His sovereignty!

Sonja - I must admit I am loking forward to moving away from the heat! It is one of the things I am looking forward to the most! I cannot imagine having to get my children up so early!!! Oh we are so blessed!!! How old are your kiddos? My best friend has to get her children up super early as well! They have decided that high school students need the most sleep and elementary the least, so elementary kids have to get up earlier and start school earlier!?!? I would think it needs to be the opposite...

Here we are still fighting viruses. It has moved into my chest, and many are still fighting it in their heads. Thankfully it is suppose to be cooling off over the next few days, only getting in the mid 80s, so we should be able to have the windows open and start circulating more air through the house. With waiting to move for another month, I have gone ahead and ordered the rest of the school for this year and we will be starting our new sciences today. THe kids are super excited, as we will be doing Botany. We are also going to start doing some Nature studies a couple days a week. I think I am also going to start working on Christmas gifts. I had planned on waiting until after we move, but I think I'll need that extra month!

Health-wise I am not doing well at all... with out going into too much detail, let me just say that things need to dramatically change and SOON! I've decided to give Trim Healthy Mama a whirl... I'm praying that not only does it help me lose weight, which I need to do, but that it also helps regulate and stabilize my hormones... this is even more paramount for me right now!!! Anyone have any experience?

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  11:35:00 AM  Show Profile
Happy Monday Morning My Porchies....

Sabrina...I looked at all 48 pictures of the house and grounds and it is the most unique style Farmhouse I have ever seen on the outside.
I don't even really know what they call that type of Architecture...do you? Anyway, I think the grounds will be perfect for what you want.
Love the pond and the deck and you already have a couple of out buildings...so that gives you a little head start on having some farm animals huh?
Inside I think it is really cute and cozy and with some interesting nooks and crannies. I love the old staircase. The kitchen looked small for
your size family but does it have a separate Dining Room? Even though I saw a table in the kitchen it looked on the small side...but A great place
non-the-less for chatting with family or friends while you cook. Overall has a lot of charm and character and potential. Have you made an offer
yet? Hope it all works out if that is the one you want. Exciting Huh?

Sonja...your Yoga Class sounds great...wish you lived here in my area. Oh, your poor family has to get up so early for the School Bus. That would be hard.
Since Retirement I never ever see that time of day...but I hear it does indeed exist. LOL Does your Church do more Contemporary Music verses the Old
Hymns and Traditional Music? I love the Contemporary Music Services better myself and my husband has grown to enjoy them too. But we still like a few
of the Old Classics like The Old Rugged Cross, It is Well, Amazing Grace, etc. My husband loves Southern Gospel and I have learned to enjoy it with him
but on my Car Radio I tune in to K-Love and turn the radio up loud and sing until my hearts content the more Contemporary Christian Music. What song did
you sing yesterday?

Shannon...hope you all get well soon. Sounds like you need to take some B12 and a Good Woman's Daily Vitamin. Did you feel better when you were walking? If
I were you I would talk to someone knowledgeable in a Health Food Store. I have never heard of Trim Healthy Mama...is that a Weight Loss Program like
BeachBody? Maybe a good Energy Smoothy would be good for you too. I make mine my first meal of the day. I use BeachBody Energy Shake (Shakeology) and also
Lean1 Choc./Peanut Butter. I do Shakeology one morning and Lean1 the next morning...rotating them. I get Beachbody Shakeology from my DIL for free and I
buy the Lean1 from Amazon. I am Lactose Intolerant so I either have to do a Vegan Protein Mix or a Lactose Free Mix. I have found both of the ones I take
to be really good and very tasty besides. I also use green tea as my base, and add Bee Pollen and either Chia Seeds or Flaxseed and a squirt of coconut oil and
a fruit of my choice.

OK...Ladies I'm ready for a nap. Getting up at 7:00 am is too early for me. I love the walk when it's cooler but about 5 hours later I can barely keep my eyes
open.

More Later...

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  12:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina - after reading Peggy's post, I started thinking maybe I miss-understood. I had thought you made an offer that was accepted? Did I mis-read? I agree the house is adorable! Love love love the pond! Here is our link http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15-Eychander-Rd-Rozet-WY-82727/104664750_zpid/ The two bedrooms upstairs will be for the three boys and the two youngest girls. The other two girls will get the finished bedroom downstairs and the unfinished room will be my craft room. The big open area downstairs will be our school and play room :)

Peggy - Trim Healthy Mama is an eating plan... where you separate the source of energy for each meal. My biggest issue, though, is that my right adrenal gland had stopped working since my left one was overproducing and now that my left adrenal gland has been removed, my right one doesn't want to wake up and act right. With your adrenal glands controlling basically everything, I'm having all sorts of issues!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  6:51:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow Shannon...that house is so much bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside. I love the Open floor plan too. Is it a Manufactured home? It looks like it but then the basement surprised me. The potential down there is huge isn't it?
It looks like an already working Farm. That is just great! Your kids will love wandering around all that wide open space. Thanks for posting...it's fun to walk in to your
homes and get excited for you. Are there snakes in that Desert Terrain? ~ I may have gotten the info wrong on Sabrina's Home. Maybe they did already put in an Offer.

Happy for Both Families!!!

Hugs and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 12 2016 6:52:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  7:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sabrina and Shannon, nice houses both of them. Exciting when you're young and starting to make a house your own. Many blessings and happiness for both of you. The worst of it all will be the packing and unpacking!

Shannon, mono is no joke. Is your spleen or liver enlarged? Get your rest and wait it out. That's about all you can do and hopefully with no issues.

Peggy, good for you that you can walk that far. I wish I had a place to walk. When you live in the woods that's what you have. It's to uneven for me. It throws my back right out. Plus we have a bear and fox roaming around right now.

Judy,no church story this week sleeping beauty! LOL!

Sonja, my 5 grands go to 3 different schools at 3 different times. Starting very early also. It's so early for the kids.

Well,I'm going to make some pumpkins before I go to bed. Off to the sewing room!

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  11:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everybody! We are excited.....

Shannon and Peggy-Yes we put in an offer and it was accepted. We are getting inspections this week!!!

Peggy-There is a separate dining room. I thought it had a picture of that but I've looked at so many pictures and did the facetime that I'm not sure what I've seen where!!!

The living areas are pretty small but I think it will be ok. That kitchen is actually HUGE compared to what we have here or have had in other homes. So I'll try to describe how it works....you walk in the front door into the kitchen (not necessarily thrilled about that but whatever) then through the kitchen one way is the mudroom/laundry room and goes to the back door. Through the other direction is the dining room on one side and a little sitting area around a wood burning stove on the other side. In the dining room is a staircase that goes up to three bedrooms and one bathroom. There is a guest half bath under the stairs. If you walk straight through between the dining room and sitting area you come into the living room (that is the room with the slanted ceiling). Through a door there you go to the master bedroom which is the room with the sliding glass doors to the deck. The staircase in that room goes up to a loft with another bedroom and a large walk in storage room/closet. There is a small basement but it is only big enough to store maybe a few bins. One of the buildings has been removed so there is only one shed there now. As for the pond, as cute as it is we will probably take it out or drain it and use it as an herb garden or something. It makes me nervous with the kids and even if they don't drown they will no doubt try to play in it. Just not something I want to deal with. I like that the yard all the way around the house is fenced for the kids and dog!

Shannon-I just ordered our science curriculum too we are doing Astronomy this year. I still need to get math but I just can't decide what I want to do about math. I just haven't been happy with any math we have tried :(. Your home looks great-love that there is a lot of land. That basement is going to be wonderful!! We were hoping for a big basement we could finish and have space in but that isn't what we found. That's ok we will do something else :).

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  11:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh Peggy, I don't really know anything about the architecture but I can tell you it is a stone home (the stone you see inside is the walls exposed) which has been covered over with stucco. I think it has also been added onto a couple times (one I know for sure is the mudroom was added on).

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2016 :  07:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Unless you design and build your home there will always be something you aren't crazy about.. You will make it work and it will be your home. When we bought our home it cost us less than a used car would cost today. We have added, remodeled, landscaped as we could afford to. It's home. You will do the same. It's a blessing for both of you and God blesses as you honor Him. Sabrina and Shannon, from what I read and know of you through MJF, you are godly women and your houses will be blessed. God has already blessed you with the children to fill your homes with the Joy of the Lord. Bless you both as you continue on this next phase of your lives.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2016 :  09:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Hello Everyone,
It has been a very long time sine I was on the porch. Many things have happen over the space of the last couple of years. We finally found home for us. Sabrina and Shannon, like you we purchased our house sight unseen. We had wanted an old farm house, and when we saw this one, we knew it was for us. The house is 151 years old, but even with its damage, the amount of repairs we have to accomplish to it, it will be perfect in about a year. For now we are just trying to get ready for the winters. You see we moved to Maine. We only have about 6 to 8 weeks before winter comes. Our major expense is going to be the electric. It was suppose to have new electric system, but who ever put it in was no licensed and we are having a licensed electrician come out within the next couple of weeks to completely fix the wiring. The foundation is good, only a couple of places needing repair, but that is to be expected considering the age of the house.
I wish the two of you success in finding that home that you can make your own. Like Darlene said, buying a house already built there will always be something about the house you don't like. But hopefully, there will be more about the house you will love and can overlook the things that is not quite right.
I am hoping to become more active now that I am settled in and get to know each and everyone of you. Until later, have a beautiful day.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page