Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2016 :  10:27:42 AM  Show Profile
Peggy - the house is actually a stick built home! I'm thankful for that, as insurance would have been a bear out there if not, worse than it already was! Finding insurance was difficult due to the distance from a fire hydrant or station. The house has been empty for 18+ months!!!! The pictures are a little outdated, but it gives the general idea of the layout. There are indeed snakes... namely prairie rattlesnakes and bull snakes. The worst thing is they look so similar!!! Bull snakes will eat the rattlesnakes, so we do not want to kill those... But ugghhhhh to snakes!

Darlene - both my liver and spleen are still enlarged! I have gotten over the worse of the mono, but I think it is still causing havoc on my immune system! I stayed in bed until almost 11 today!!! And honestly will probably be heading back to bed shortly, once I get the littles down for naps/quiet time. What pumpkins are you making? I would really like to get some Fall decorations up, but am struggling with energy and time! Thank you for your sweet sweet words <3

Sabrina - I found your comment regarding the pond kinda funny - because it sounds so familiar! While others are searching for homes with pools, ponds, etc, it always raises huge red flags in my head!!!! We had originally searched for properties with live water, but as soon as we found some, my momma brain took over and I gave Brad a list of things that would need to be in place for me to be comfortable with it, lol. What Math curriculums have you tried? We use Math-U-See and thankfully it has worked well for us, but I know it doesn't work well for everyone! Is the house you are buying your "forever, retiring in" house?

Becky - It is absolutely wonderful to have you here on the porch! I have so missed seeing you!!!! For those that do not know Becky, she is an extraordinary crochet-er with a HUGE heart! She blessed all four of my daughters with exquisite dolls that she crocheted! I would love to see pictures of your home Becky!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how you dress it up in the Spring with your handiness at gardening! I'm so glad you are back and you are in your dream house <3

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2016 :  11:10:00 AM  Show Profile
Darlene...sorry that you can't walk where you live. How close is the nearest athletic club from you? As soon as the Fall/Winter Rains begin...I will have to go back
to the Fitness Gym and walk the tread mill. I don't enjoy that kind of walking but it is the only way I can keep going. I don't enjoy walking in the rain unless
it is just a mild sprinkle. We have a Fitness Center here where we just pay $10.00 a month and it is about 1/2 a mile away from us. And if I didn't want to go there
I could use the Fitness room at our Complex for free but the machines aren't as good.

Rebecca...WELCOME BACK! Happy to have you on the Porch! Your Farm sounds interesting too. 151 year old house is really old. How much square footage is it? I lived on a
Farm as a kid but not as an Adult. I love the Farm Life but am allergic to every Farm Animal...so it really isn't the life for me in all practicality. The oldest House I
ever lived in was a 100 year Old Home in Wilbur WA as a kid. But it was hands down the coolest House I have ever lived in growing up.
It was The Historic landmark in the town and had been owned by a Banker. It sat up on a Hill and was quite Beautiful.

Not much going on here today. Just tired after my walk and probably could use a good nap about now. Like I said, Getting up at 7:00 am is NOT my norm...I love to stay up late and sleep late. Anybody reading anything good lately? I just finished listening to a Book called
The Neon Lawyer which was based on a true case. It was more of a Novella. It only took about 4 or 5 hours to listen to the whole thing.
But I really liked the Story. It had a couple "F" bombs in the beginning of the story...but then the Author seemed to get it out of his system and moved on to telling a really good story. I have to listen to books when I walk or that 5 miles would seem like an eternity.
I just downloaded The Bracelet by Dorothy Love I can't wait to start this Book tomorrow as I almost wrote a Novel with the same subject
matter...as years ago when I was walking outside the Mall I worked at...I saw something kind of shine at the edge of a mud puddle...so
I bent down and scooped it up. And it was a bracelet covered in mud and slime. The clasp looked expensive as it had a safety chain on it. So, I wrapped it in some kleenex and took it home and washed it up. It was marked with the Initial M inside a heart and showed a 14 K Gold Marking on the inside also. I took it to a Jewelry Store to have it valued. The owner said that he would need to clean it first and asked if I would leave it and come back in a day or two. Which I did. When I came back he had taken two links out of it so it would fit my wrist and I couldn't believe how gorgeous it was all professionally cleaned and polished. Instead of looking bronze like it had
it was a high polished gold. Anyway he estimated that it was probably $500.00 just because it was a half of inch wide (so substantial amount of gold). I wore it for 3-5 years and then on a trip to Canada I lost it. I thought I heard something drop when I was in the
restroom in the Ferry Terminal but when I looked around I didn't see anything...then they blew the horn for the carloading signal and
I rushed out to get back in the car which was 1/4 a mile away. Once on the Ferry boat I took off my Jacket and discovered the Bracelet
was gone. Larry said we could check at lost and found when we came back. Which I did but nothing was turned in. I remember saying to
Myself "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, blessed be the Name of the Lord" I enjoyed the bracelet for 5 years...now it was time for someone else to enjoy it. And I had often wondered who M was that had originally owned and lost it. So, Yes I had thought about
writing a book about The Story of The Bracelet and how it traveled into the lives of at least 3 women.

OK nap time.

Hugs and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 13 2016 11:11:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2016 :  1:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Peg, what a fabulous story.Yes that would have made a good novel. I too would have said, "well God, I enjoyed it for a few years. May the next person enjoy it as much!" Let us know how that book turns out. I am just starting a Goodwill find. A $1.00 hardback by Fannie Flagg called 'Can't wait to get to Heaven.' The first line on the inside dust-cover states, "Combining southern warmth with unabashed emotion and side-splitting hilarity.... where the most unlikely and surprising experiences of a high-spirited octogenarian...." Ok, it caught my attention. Will let you know how it is.
Rebecca, your place sounds wonderful. Our place is almost 100 y.o. They just don't build them like these anymore do they? Come back and chat more often. We aren't really so scary... are we? Hope not! *giggle*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"Give a weed an inch and it'll take a yard!"
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2016 :  1:11:30 PM  Show Profile
Darlene, what a sweet Blessing you shared with Shannon & Sabrina! May God Bless You & Your home too!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"Give a weed an inch and it'll take a yard!"
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2016 :  6:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Shannon, since your spleen and liver are still enlarged, be careful you don't get hit in your abdominal area. I'm sure you're aware. Just the nurse/mother in me makes me treat you like my kid! LOL! The pumpkins I was making were the toilet paper roll ones. Look for Linda O's Apple in the craft forum. Go on Pinterest and check them out. Easy and the kids could do them. It's so fast and addictive.

Peggy, no place close enough t o walk. My balance is bad from my back and residual from the chemo. I'm going to start water exercise 5 min. from home. Better and easier on my very bad back. I love the water so it should be good.

Judy, thank you for your kind words. Lucky you to have an old home. Good bones. Mine is 50 years old. Good bones too. How's Dave?

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2016 :  06:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
PeggyAnn, Like you I am not fond of using a gym. I much prefer outdoors. When I lived in Florida we had a gym also to use, but I think I only used it once. Since moving here, I don't need a gym. This house is a workout all it of itself. I love the story idea as well. There are so many things that have stories, you need only to use the imagination to invite one. Did you ever see the movie call the Note. It is about a letter that a man wrote just before dying aboard a plane that crashed. The reporter that found the letter tried to find its owner. Every person who read the note their lives were touched in one way or another. You should write the book. You never know where the story will take you.

Darlene the pumpkins sounds like fun to make. I will have to look into them and see about making them for decorations for my place. It probably won't be until next year. I am still trying to get settled in here.

The house was built in 1865 and is 1500 sq ft. From the 300 sq. ft. travel trailer we came from this place is huge. The previous owner left trash throughout the place so it has been a real challenge cleaning it up. To make matters worse, winter is coming and everywhere we go, we are asked the same question. "Have you experienced a Maine winter?"!!!!!!! We were also told that we had until the end of October to prepare. I have almost all of the heating fuel in place. Last Monday we transfer from the wood pile outside which is 5 cords of wood to the basement. We hired a couple of people to help. Its about a little over half done before the day ended on us. Yesterday and today, I am feeling the pain. I don't think there is a place that does not hurt. I am to old for this.
We bought our house sight unseen because we felt it was from the Lord. Everything went so smoothly with everything. Within one month, we chose Maine as our home state, Houlton as the city we would live near, and this house as our home. Paul and I feel like this is home and we love the old farmhouse. I will post pictures, later. I want to clean it up somewhat first. The whole house I plan on painting and have chosen some colors for some of the rooms. It is two story, with the bedrooms upstairs and bathroom. The downstairs has a living room, dining room, kitchen, my craft room, and a half bath. There is also another room, which we call the cabin room. It is done all in wood and the only thing I plan on doing in there is making a rag rug, maybe refurbish the old couch in there. I will take a picture of it and see what kind of suggestions you might have for that piece of furniture. There are 17.1 acres, which 10 of it is in trees. The rest is our farm. We are playing around with ideas for animals, gardening, and of course a small area we call the living space outside. Here will be the small yard and flower garden, picnic area, etc. There is a chicken coop on the property, but it is in bad shape. We are thinking of moving it to the other side of the driveway, and making it larger. Tomorrow we are having the greenhouse delivered, and that way I can start earlier with my planting. So you see I don't need a gym, we have the Rocky gym right here. LOL.

Here is a picture of the outside

Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.

Edited by - Ladybek9756 on Sep 14 2016 06:57:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2016 :  11:44:51 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Porchies....

Oh My Goodness Becky...your house is soooooooooooooo Adorable. I love the Color of the Outside. I hope
and Pray that you don't change the color...it is so charming and inviting. It looks like a Mini-Colonial.
Just too cute for words! The Land is Beautiful too. You have a lot of Acreage too which is nice...and so
much of it being in Trees is a real valuable asset. Well, I can't wait to see some of the Inside...if it
is half as cute as the Outside it is going to charm our pants off.

I have read several books Called "The Note" but that one does not sound familiar. I will have to check it
out. I always love a great read...so that is why I ask what everyone is reading. I did start The Bracelet last night and listened again today as I walked. It is kind of a "Southern Belle" type book. It was hailed as ... well, if you like Downton Abbey you will love this book...but so far I don't get the same vibe at all. I am already on Chapter 10 of 28 chapters and there has been no mention of a bracelet thus far. LOL But the story
is good so I will finish it. You know me...I read so much that if a Story Plot doesn't grab me in 3 or 4 Chapters...I'm done with it. I figure why waste my time on a dull story when there are so many good books out
there just waiting to be read. LOL It my younger years if I started a book I some how felt obliged to finish
it. Not any more...I look back now and think..."You sure were stupid back then!" I have been an avid reader since
grade school and I know I have read and listened to thousands and thousands of books. So, now I'm pickier! LOL

Judy...All my Family and Friends thought that I would become a writer...however I find too much pleasure reading that I don't want to take the time to write. Other than my Poetry. I would rather read everyone else's books. And I guess at almost 65...I'm not going to start a New Career...I like Retirement too much!

Darlene...Water Exercise is so great! I did water exercise for 3 years with a group of my friends from Bible
Study and I enjoyed it...but wasn't something I wanted to do in cold rainy weather. It is really good on your muscles so you go girl...you will love it.

Grandson just got here for our play day...so more later!

Love and Hugs,
Peg

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2016 :  12:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Peggy Ann, The Note is a TV movie that Hallmark put out in December 2007. Thanks for the comment about the house, and no I have no intentions of painting the outside. Part of the house that was added on was never painted and my husband is thinking of painting come spring/summer of next year to match the front of the house. I'll show pictures of before and after as I do each section. It will be an ongoing project for the next year to say the least. What I love the most, is that I finally have space, areas to decorate, and so many ideas that I am playing with.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2016 :  7:02:37 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone
I am dragging my tired butterfly teacher wings to the rocking chair. I sure hope I find some chocolate!!!! Yes it has been that kind of week so far. There are days I think where did it go? My school day is very packed this year and my principal has given me much extra responsibilities and so I am tired by end of the day. my butterflies are something else. I have a few that my teacher wings have had to shape up on. I clipped their wings down to size and I swear they grew back bigger. Good thing I love them so much and I can keep clipping.

The fall weather here is beautiful. Loving it. I love the cooler weather and cozying up with my tea and blanket and good book.
well ladies I just wanted to pop in. I think I will sleep in the rocking chair. Good night
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2016 :  07:23:51 AM  Show Profile
Weeeeellllll it looks like we may not be getting that house :/ The bank that owns the house we want to buy does not want to give us an extension on closing... but our bank will not give us a loan until we have orders. So we are stuck! Mind you, closing was suppose to be TODAY! We've asked to have it pushed back to the 14th of October. We may be back to the drawing board! Thing is, that house already was stretching us to our max, financially. It was taking a leap of faith that my hubby would find a job fairly quickly, as we cannot live off his retirement and disability check alone. Not sure what we are going to do.... What I do know, though, is God has a plan for us and whatever is meant to happen will be... If this house does not work out, He has a better one planned for us!

Peggy - What a neat story about your bracelet! I must admit, though, I probably would have turned it in to the lost and found there at the mall in hopes that the original owner would come back for it! I'm sure she was heartbroken she had lost it!

Darlene - I'm not sure I realized you are/were a nurse :) I was a registered nurse before I had my children. Didn't work too many years (three) before the first one came along :) My dream was to be a pediatrician, specializing in immunology and infectious disease... I worked my way through nursing school as a CNA and then through PreMed as an RN. But that is where it stopped, as I got married and we started a family. I had a dear friend that was an OB that told me, due to my personality, I would burn out quickly as both a momma and a doctor... I give 100% to whatever I am doing... and looking back I think he was right! I wouldn't have been able to continue school, especially going to medical school, and be the momma I would want to be, nor be an MD and a momma.

Becky - What a lovely house! There is something so welcoming about it! It looks so warm and inviting. I love that you have so many trees on your property! I am going to miss the trees, but am determined that we can plant some... I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about your progress as you work through the house to make it yours <3

Tea_Lady Tammy - Oh your poor butterfly wings! Sounds like this year is going to be a challenging one! I sure do hope things get better for you!!! Your love for your little butterflies - great enough to keep clipping their wings - is a testament to why you are such a wonderful Madam Butterfly! May God bless your endeavors on their lives!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2016 :  11:55:16 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Porchies...

Shannon...Oh, sadness about the house! But your attitude is Perfect! God will provide...as He surely does
have a plan and a purpose! Keep us posted. ~ Oh, about the Bracelet...I did tell the Mall Office but did not
leave it with them as they knew I was The Manager of the Christian Book Store and they knew where to find me
if anyone called about it, and I even asked the Owner of My Store because his wife's name was Mary. Nobody
called...and it was mine! I had an experience one time at a Stand Alone Retail Store where I found 180.00 in
a purse that had been returned (you could tell by the new store price tag on it) I turned the money over to The Store Manager and was told that after 3 months if no one claimed it...it would be mine. So, I called them and got the Manager and was told that they just put the money into there cash drawer the day I turned it in and I wouldn't be getting the Money. I told her, I bought the Red Purse and I could have just left the $ in there and you would have never known...but I did the right thing and I expect you to do the right thing. I was mad but
after I prayed about it I thought...it wasn't my money to begin with so...The Lord Gives and the Lord taketh away...blessed be the name of The Lord. So, I wasn't going to do the same thing all over again when I found the
bracelet in the mud puddle outside the Mall. I wore it and they could have come to me at any time if they got
a phone call from someone about it. Another time I was walking outside I found a small wallet on the ground in the snow. At first glance I didn't see anything of value in it...but I stuck it in my jacket pocket and headed home. When I got home I found 25.00 hidden in the lining and the drivers license of someone. So, I looked up her address in the phone book and called her and returned the small wallet to her. Then another time I saw a man driving a truck past my house when I was working in the yard and something flew out his window. He hadn't noticed it I guess because he just kept going. I went to the street and saw it was a check...so, I picked it up and it
was for $15,000 dollars. Again I looked up the address in the phone book and he just lived 3 blocks from me and
so I took it over to the House and his wife said that he had just sold some cattle and was headed to the bank to
deposit the check. So, I guess I could even write a book about all the things I have found over the years too. LOL These days the most exciting things I find are heart shaped rocks...which I collect...but no $ for a number of years. Oh, that reminds me one time a Lady left a bank envelope with cash in it sitting on a bookshelf in my
store. I didn't even know it was there until she called and I went to look and sure enough there it was...anybody could have taken it because it was just in a bank envelope with no name on it...and it was the womans Paycheck that she had cashed that morning. God was watching out for her on that one...as there was over a $1,000 in the
envelope. I put it in my store safe until she came to get it. Whew...she could have lost that so easily if someone had come into my store and saw it and just picked it up and left with it. Believe me...not everyone who comes into a Christian Book Store is A Christian...or could avoid the temptation set right before them.

Teacher Tammy...You keep clipping those little butterfly wings until they start behaving. LOL Praise God for
a Hot Cup of Tea and a Good Book to unwind with in the evenings. I bet you had some Chocolate Tea in the house even if you couldn't find a piece of Chocolate Candy. lol ~ Has your Bible Study started back up yet?
My first one last week went really well. It felt good to be back in full swing again...learning and sharing
The Word together. And tonight we meet again. Love these Sisters and the great discussions we have.

Becky...I just got Cable TV back last week...so now I can watch The Hallmark Channel again, and HG TV, The Food
Network, Antiques Roadshow and all the ones I have missed for the past 3 or 4 years as we just had Antenna TV. LOL So, I will keep an eye out for the Movie The Note too. ~ I'm so happy that you are NOT going to change the color of your house...and going to paint the rest of it the same color. It is so charming just the way it is.

OK...got my walk in and am just about ready for a nap. My husband is playing Southern Gospel Music so loudly
from his room...I don't know if I will be able to sleep or not. He is sleeping to it but it would keep me
wide awake. I listen to Ocean Waves when I sleep...so I guess I will have to try and drown out his gospel
music with my ocean.

More Later girlies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 15 2016 12:03:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2016 :  6:23:35 PM  Show Profile
HI sweet things,
I tell you this has been a week! Tonight after school we had to take kiddos to basement for tornado warning. Now we practice this often in our neck of the woods, but never did I think I would be in an actual tornado. Thankfully it did not touch down. all the kiddos and staff and parents are safe. We had a volleyball game as well so we had two other schools there too. But God gave us teachers just the right words to keep calm in the chaos and keep us safe. Hubby said the storm went right over our farm too. We are still under the gun it is pouring now. So prayers would be appreciated. I believe I might need something stronger than tea tonight.

Peggy my bible study is well not in the word as much they just want to be done each week. Makes me sad I am not getting spiritually fed and I have felt that God is telling me change is on the horizon. I am such a dig in the word person...I want to talk about it and know other women are in the same boat as me in the rough waters of life. So I am not sure I am going back. But I know God has a plan for me.

ok ladies I got to fly out we are under severe weather again.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  12:00:42 AM  Show Profile
Becky- I love the house!! It does sound like a lot of work but how much more you will love it by making it our own and investing the "sweat equity." I look forward to all your pictures as you fix it up!!

Darlene-you are exactly right, there is no "perfect house" but we can change, add, decorate etc (over time) and it will be ours! Thank you for the beautiful words!

Shannon- Oh no sorry to hear about the closing problems-buying a house can be so stressful. Just have faith that if it doesn't work out it is because something better is right around the corner!! Yes, all of those things about water. I absolutely DO NOT want a house with a pool!!! I wouldn't mind a pond but I would then insist that the yard around the house is fenced. I wouldn't pull this pond out except that it is INSIDE the fenced pard of the yard. I doubt it is deep but even so I don't want the kids playing in it. As for math curriculum-we did Math-U-See for the first three years....then Sydney started complaining about it and I didn't like some of the way they were doing things. I wish we had gone through at least one more year (Delta) of MUS though. The last year or so we have just kind of messed around with a few different things but none really worked well for us. I just ordered Teaching Textbooks for her to try. I am starting Sofia on MUS Alpha and will have her go through at least Delta before switching to TT if we like it. Syd is pretty good with math so I think she will catch up quickly on what was missed last year. My main thing is we have to start doing standardized tests in Kansas and she will be entering the challenge program with Classical Conversations so she needs to catch up to grade level on her math knowledge. As for this being our forever home all I can say is maybe. We will have about 4 years left in the military when we get settled there so we should be able to stay until retirement but we obviously don't know if we will love it. It is at least close enough to our families to stay if we do. Then of course the big question is will Dustin be able to find a job there. He should be able to but we will have to move if he can't so we just don't know.

So we have had an insane week. On Wed at our homeschool program Daniel (18 month old) pulled a very hot cup of tea down and spilled it on his face. After rinsing him off under running water for a good 5-10 minutes we rushed https://www.joomag.com/magazine/2016-north-america-fall-product-catalogs-fall-2016-catalog-us/0486185001469473542?short over to the clinic that was right down the street (not our normal clinic but the closest medical facility). Well they called an ambulance. The ambulance decided that because of his age and the fact that it was burns on his face they needed to take him to a bigger hospital than one of the local ones. So they called the helicopter. We ended up air lifted to Munich (2 hours away) because they have a pediatric burn unit. They sedated Dan before we left which I think was worse to watch than the burns themselves. The other moms in our homeschool group arranged for my kids and put all our stuff in my car, I left my keys with them. Dustin showed up about the same time as the paramedics. They got us loaded on the helicopter but weren't sure yet where they were taking us (we ended up stopping at one hospital then they sent us on to the other). So Dustin had to wait until we arrived before heading in our direction. So he rushed around making sure the other kids had what they needed and packing an overnight bag for me and Dan. This all started at noon, Dan and I got to the hospital around 4 and Dustin didn't get there until almost 8. Our biggest concern was his eye because the burns are all around one eye but they checked it as soon as we got there and thank goodness it didn't get burned at all. The burn doctor said it really isn't that bad that he will look rough for a few days but should completely heal just fine. We checked out around 9pm from the hospital and drove home. He is healing up really well I think and doesn't seem to be in any pain. He is running around acting like his normal self and doesn't even seem to know anything is out of the ordinary. I am still exhausted!

We got our home inspection report this morning. Looks pretty good, a few things we are going to ask the sellers to address but our agent things they will have no problem doing them especially since we offered well over asking price. So hopefully that goes well. Only one issue is really a big deal because she said VA will require it so they have to do it or we won't be able to buy. I'm relieved there were no major issues.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  06:37:56 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina...I wondered what had happened to Daniel as I saw something on FB. Praise The Lord that his eye will be ok. It just
Amazes me just how resilient Kids are to such things that seem so horrible to us at the time. When my youngest son was about
your sons age he got severely burned with Hot Chicken Gravy. I had to run to the bathroom and I told my step daughter to
watch Shane and keep him out of the Kitchen while the two boys set the table for dinner. I was just in the bathroom a couple
of minutes when I hear a blood-curdling scream and then the other kids yelling and my step daughter is pounding on the bathroom
door as I'm trying as fast as I can to get out there. When I walked into the Kitchen Shane was sitting on the Kitchen floor
with the Electric Skillet on top of his head and hot greasy gravy all over him. The older kids were so freaked out that they
froze and couldn't think what to do. I ran over got the fry pan off his head...whipped him up in my arms and ran him to the
shower. I yelled at Jennifer to dial 911, as I sat Shane in the tub and turned on the shower. I stripped him out of his Onsie
the whole time trying to calm him and myself and the other kids down. My husband who had run to the grocery store for me...
arrived at the same time the ambulance and paramedics did. What chaos! The ambulance took us to the Hospital I was born at
over in Portland OR (just across the River) because it was the only Hospital with a burn unit. In the Ambulance...after they
treated his wounds the best they could...they gave him to me to hold until we reached the Hospital. The only way he would
quit screaming is if I sang every kids Bible Songs I could think of. When I stopped the screaming would begin again. The Paramedics
told me to keep singing to him and so I did. When they assessed his burns and wrapped him up (he looked like a baby mummy)
the Dr. called me in and said that it looked far worse than it was...but that he would heal up fine. He explained to me how to
change his wraps every few hours and put ointments on his burns. The Dr. said that all his scars would fade as he aged except the
large one down his back and under his arm and the one on his head where the gravy and pan had sat. I just couldn't believe the
Dr. because I saw all this dead gray skin. But he actually healed up from all scars except on his head. And to this day if he is
in the sun very long that scar will open up and weep. He keeps it covered as much as possible with his hair but if he swims or
anything like that he has to keep an ointment on it. Shane is 30 now. Like you said, the very next day Shane was down playing
like nothing had ever happened. And when I changed the dressings he never fussed or cried or anything...it was Amazing!!! He was
amazing, God was amazing...everything couldn't have turned out better in the end. It took my Oldest son a long time to forgive
himself...as he was the one who knocked the Electric Skillet off the kitchen counter. Then Jen felt guilty because she was suppose
to be watching Shane and keeping him out of the Kitchen. And they all felt guilty because they Froze in an emergency. My husband
and I had to keep reassuring them that accidents happen and we didn't blame them for anything...and we forgave the series of
Events that perpetrated the whole scenario. But even though we never cast any blame on them for not doing what they had
been told...they blamed themselves and really struggled with it for awhile. So those wounds took longer to heal in the other
three kids than Shane's burns took to heal. Again all I can say is that God made kids so resilient that it is just a miracle
in and of itself.

Teacher Tammy...Yikes, a Tornado! Wow girlfriend you deserve a little shot of something in your tea to calm the anxiety level.
In our part of the Country we get more Earthquakes than anything as we are part of the Pacific Ring of Fire. And it seems like
about every 8 to 10 years we get a small tornado that will touch down and do some destruction but we don't really prepare
for them with drills etc. They say that we will one day have a huge 9.+ Earthquake here that will also cause a great
Tsunami. But you can't really prepare too much for Acts of God...you just roll with it when and if it happens.
Tammy...I'm so sorry about your Bible Study Group...that is just not a good situation. I pray God leads you to another group
or leads you to start one in your home at Night. There is no use going to a Bible Study if they just use it as a social hour.

OK...I woke up at 5:00 and I am going to need to go back to bed for awhile. Keeping you all in my prayers.

Blessings and Prayers,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  07:06:35 AM  Show Profile
Peggy - I reread my message to you and your response, and h my gracious I sounded like a jerk! I am so sorry! That is not how I meant it at all!!!!!! I was more saying I wouldn't have had the eat story you did because it would never had occurred to me to keep it or get it valued or anything like that! Please forgive me for coming across so poorly!!!

Tea Lady Tammy - Praying all is well after your scare with the tornado yesterday! We get warnings here quite often, but I have never experienced one, and praise God for that!!! So very very thankful you guys knew what to do and were able to calm the children!

Sabrina - Definitely praying! It seriously brought tears to my eyes!!! All I could picture was when it happened with Aly! It really does heal quickly! Aly has lighter areas on her side that were burnt, and pinker areas on her arms and shoulders... The ones on her side are more noticeable... and honestly it looks more like a birthmark. (((hugs))) and prayers!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  08:43:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Peggy and Shannon. Another mom and I scooped him up almost instantly and got him under water so luckily the burns didn't go too deep and they didn't get anywhere but his face and a tiny spot on his hand. There are a couple on his face that might leave light scars but the doc thinks no scaring. There are no bandages because it is on his face so we are just keeping disinfectant on it and trying to keep him clean. I won't be taking him out around other kids until it is more healed just because there is too much chance of things happening to open up the wounds and expose him to infection.

My friend was the one who left her tea on the table and I know she feels really bad, like you said Peggy I think it will take her longer to forgive herself than for Dan's wounds to heal. I have assured her that I place no blame on her and am not upset with her at all. We all make mistakes and toddlers are crazy fast.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  2:37:26 PM  Show Profile
Shannon...LOL you did not sound like a jerk! My mind had not at first gone to finding the original owner but a gal at my Bible Study said a similar thing to me that you said...and
it brought me up with a start. I said, "Nancy, I didn't even think about looking for the owner.
I will attempt to do that. Thanks for bringing that up." I had checked with my boss because
I had found the bracelet relatively close to the back door of our Mall Space and when he said
no, it didn't belong to his wife Mary. I just in my mind assumed it was mine as I found it.
But what Nancy had said to me really made me re-think my own lack of concern for finding out
who owned it. Anyway...we all re-act differently in situations like that but your response
was spot on girl. No apology Necessary! And then when I lost it...it was like, "OK, God
you let me enjoy it for five years...bless somebody else with the gift of it." And I remember
smiling to myself and thinking...that was so God...and I had peace about losing it. I
still have the two links that the jeweler had removed from the bracelet in my jewelry box.

Sabrina...I am happy to hear that his face will heal up fine. Shane does have some light
skin patches on his back but they just look like his skin pigmentation was off or something.
No big deal at all. So...hopefully your little guy will be just fine and will have no residual issues after he heals up. Your friend however...may take a little time to not feel responsible.
But I'm sure she will never leave hot anything in reach of a child again. Like you said, kids
are quick and it only takes a second.

Bright and Sunny day here today...and in the mid 80's but rain coming tonight and I had
to sleep late today from the pain and fatigue.

Have a Fabulous Weekend Girlies...

Hugs and Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  5:48:34 PM  Show Profile
Peggy - Phew! That makes me feel a little better :) I really was worried I came across like a jerk!!! It is neat that you have the links... a great reminder that some things are just for a season - be it a friendship or something materialistic - and then God will use "it" or "them" to bless someone else too.

Sabrina - YAY that the burns are not too deep/bad! I still have nightmares about Aly's screams! :'( She brings her burns up every once in awhile. It took Sammi quite awhile to quit blaming herself! I think Aly loving on her helped :) Accidents just happen!

Here lately I have been on a roller-coaster of emotions. I'm super excited about starting our new life... but I am leaving everything I know behind. We will have family out there... but 1.5 hours away without snow. We have no idea about a church yet, either. We will be about 30 minutes from a town. This fits us beautifully, but at the same time, I like having my support system here. Does that make sense? We are also moving away from my closest friends... one lives in Florida, one in Virginia, and two in West Virginia. I hardly ever see them now, but I know that in a really bad pinch, they would be here in a heartbeat! It will take them three days to come see me out there, unless they fly! So many mixed emotions! Plus we are leaving the military - as "bad" as it is, at least there is consistency. But the biggest thing, I think, is leaving the church! It took us quite a few years to find this church... full of like minded believers, that love us despite our poor status and faults. Many of the members are homeschooling families... and there are even families our size! We can always count on a message that challenges us, steps on our toes, and yet reminds us of God's never ending love for us. Oh how I am going to miss our church!!! Are these normal feelings or am I being "silly?"

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  6:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sabrina, thank God your baby is fine. It could have been so much worse. You are right to be careful about infection. So right now I pray a hedge of protection around baby Dan. No scars, no infection and no lasting effects of any kind. Where 2 or more are gathered in His name, He can do all things. We have more than 2 on this forum to agree in Jesus's name. Amen!

Shannon, if you don't get the house and God closes that door, He will open another. He always has you in the palm of His hand. Feeling any better?

TLT, holy smokes. You need combat pay! Glad you are all ok. I bet you're saying TGIF!

Peggy, I think I found a place to walk. My husband told me his friend rides his bike at this spot so I think I'll walk there! I'll let you know.

Spent my day with my 95 yo Aunt and her friends at the condos where they live. I love older people!

Off to sew!

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  6:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Shannon, we must have been posting together when I posted my reply. Of course you're anxious. God is in control and He will place you where he wants you to be. His plan is always better than ours. Finding the right church has had me move several times through my life. When you find the right church you'll know it. Good luck.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  8:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Shannon...I so get the not wanting to move away from your Church Family...but our God is a
Big Big Big God with His Family all over the World. I am sure you will find a good Church
home too. Yes, you will miss the Old Family Members but you will make new ones. Don't worry
it can be an exciting time. I love when God shakes things up and says "Trust Me"...I love to
stand back and watch him do His God Thing! So, try to turn your fretting into being excited
to see what God does in your lives. It is a whole New Chapter in Your Life...allow God to write
the Forward...you won't regret it.

Darlene...I want to warn you...there is no safe place to walk alone. Be vigilantly alert and carry Mace. I look everyone who passes by me right in the eye...so they know I am aware of their
presence. I always pray God's protection over me and thank Him at the end of each walk. Be alert and be smart besides. In all the years I have walked God has kept me safe but I have had some times that the Holy Spirit alerted me to trouble. One day a guy pulled up to me in a newer car, dressed in White shirt and tie and asked me if I wanted a ride (this was on a busy city street) and when I turned to say "NO" he had no clothes on from the waist down. That is just one of
many stories. I'm NOT trying to frighten you...I'm just saying be as wise as a Serpent but as harmless as a dove as the Scripture says. Either Get a can of mace or a small can of travel
hairspray or air freshener... anything like that. Walk with someone IF you can. My walking partner is my dog but he would lick someone to death rather than attack them. So, I carry mace in the pet stroller and have
it open at all times. Let me warn you if you carry mace. Test out how to use it before you might
really need it. It will do you NO good to try and figure it out in an emergency. My personal motto when I'm walking is to TRUST NO ONE...young or old. OK...I'm stepping down off my soap box girlfriend. But I want you to be Safe! Someone on a bike can get away easier than someone on foot.

Sabrina...how is baby doing today? You will be quite surprised how quickly those burns will heal up. I sure was.

Well, off to eat a late dinner...but I did finally get my husband out of the house for awhile.
It was only the second time this week he went out. His anti-depressant switch has him very sedated. And he is just on the low dose thus far. I go with him a week from today to meet with the Psychiatrist. I am hoping to get more answers about the part of his brain that has died off...and what we can expect in the progression.

Enjoy Your Weekend!

Hugs and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 16 2016 8:48:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  9:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Peggy, I already told my husband he's going with me even if all he does is sit in his truck and watches me. He will be able to see me continually. I don't trust anyone. To many perverts as you attested to. One time when I was about 8 my mother, gmother and myself went to the local drugstore for a sundae. In walks this towns oddball guy and he walks up to our table and proceeded to show us his private parts. Yikes! Since then I'm always aware of my surroundings. I hate when people are behind me or get to close. I often tell people to back off. I got an email that said to use a can of wasp spray because it can shoot a further distance and it will temporarily blind the attacker. I know it's a bigger can but it's probably easier to use. Good advice, sister. Glad you got my back. LOL!

Hope you get some encouraging news for your hubby. Antidepressants aren't always the answer. Especially if they make him sleep his life away. My BIL has the same issues and my sister isn't dealing with it to well.

Going to bed so I can get my beauty rest! LOL!

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2016 :  05:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Shannon sorry to hear that you were not getting your house. I know how slow the military can be. I was in the Army and the old saying we had was "to hurry up and wait." It seems like they are still the same. The way I see things is that the house was not right for you and God will make way for the perfect house. That is what he did for us.

Tammy glad to hear the tornado was not that bad. They are so unpredictable. At least all is safe for now in your neck of the woods.

Sabrina glad to hear that Daniel is doing ok. I know that had to be scary, more on you than anyone else. When my youngest was hurt it took me quite awhile to calm down. She like Daniel was up and being her old self again the next day. Me I was still a wreck. Take a breather and believe that all is right with the world.

Well things around here sure have been hectic. We are still trying to put our wood in for the winter, I am trying to unpack now that my semester is over with and all the other things that this old farmhouse needs. We are getting somewhat more settled in, but winter is fast approaching and we feel like we are running a race against it. Hopefully we shall win. Today it is cold and we have plans to put the rest of our wood in this afternoon. Each night when we retire for the night, I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. Well I need to have my coffee and get my day started. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Becky

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2016 :  08:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the words of encouragement ladies :) I'm just on an emotional roller coaster! Today I am excited about what the future holds out there!!! We are still waiting for a final word on the house... Hopefully we will hear something soon!

You ladies have some scary scary stories about people! I have always been one of the "silly" ones that pick up hitchhikers and talk to anyone... until I had my kids... then I stopped picking up hitchhikers, but still give people on the street money and food! When I was younger my parents took us across the country to San Francisco. That was my first real introduction to homeless people (how i missed that the beggars on the street in DC were homeless I still don't know!) Anyways, I was convinced that when I grew up I was going to buy a big house and let all the homeless people live there :) Anyways - I have always had a super soft spot for people in general! It wasn't until we moved here that I really figured out how "not nice" some people are... My dad is a medically retired Marine, so I grew up going to the military base near my hometown. I loved how "free" I was on base... while my mom went grocery shopping, I would walk the base. Every stopped for pedestrians to cross the street, they would help me in a heartbeat if I needed anything, etc. It was the same way after I married Brad... the base was a safe place as far as I was concerned. I had no hesitance of visiting friends on base, walking by myself at night between various buildings, etc. We then got stationed here, for my hubby to work at the Return to Duty Program for the Air Force, at the Naval Brig, aka jail/prison. Oh the stories I then heard from him and his coworkers of these guys... and they were all military!!! Now I am super aware of everything around me! Even walking at the track with the kids, I try to memorize the license plate numbers of the cars in the parking lot!!!

Peggy - so sorry to hear the affect the antidepressants are having on your hubby!!! Hopefully the doctor can figure something else out!

Becky - Sure hope you get all the wood you need in!!! That is our concern with when we are looking to move... They start getting snow in October, which is when we are looking to be out there! Are you officially done school now???

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2016 :  09:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Porchies...I got up at 7:30 to go do my walk by 8:00 and low and behold it
was pouring buckets of rain. The rain wasn't suppose to be here until 5:00 tonight. I think
God sits up there and laughs when we think we can predict the weather with all our fancy
gadgets that Meteorologists have today. He laughs and says..."OK I will show you that
...I'm still in-charge!"

So, here I sit with a cup of fresh brewed coffee with Pumpkin Spice Creamer and my Porch Door open so I can smell the fresh rain air. It is warm out though. But I absolutely won't walk when the rain is coming down in buckets or sheets or sideways. This is definitely a Fall rain here. I hurt more yesterday when the system was approaching. Which often happens with my Fibro and arthritis.

Darlene...Oh, girl thank you so much for saying you will drag hubby along with you. That makes me feel better. My youngest son was telling me that there is a new mace that they have come out with that is in a gel form (but sprays) and when it gets on the face of your attacker they can't
wipe it off as easily. And if they try to wash it off with water it re-activates it. They actually have to go to a hospital to have it removed. My luck I would get it on myself. LOL
I think the wasp spray sounds like a good one. Unfortunately that would be like carrying a large can of hairspray with you. LOL Not too convenient. The mace I have is in a small thin container
that you can hold in your hand, up your jacket sleeve or in your pocket easily but you better pray the wind isn't blowing or you will get residual spray-back. Anyway...I figure it is much better than nothing! Have you set a walking goal for yourself? I highly recommend a Fitbit or any kind of Tracker like that but it isn't necessary...it's just very motivational!

Becky...sounds like you have a busy weekend ahead of you. But you will be so happy once you get that wood in and can use it without having to walk out to get it every time you want a fire.
What is a Florida winter like where you are? Here it is rainy and cool but rarely cold enough to have to wear anything more than a light weight jacket. We get snow only for a week or two at the very most. Which I love! I moved away from Eastern WA where we got lots of snow. Now if we want a Winter Wonderland Scene we drive up to the Mountains. Only 2 1/2 hrs away. My husband and I
usually do that once a year and eat in the Lodge and spend a few hours watching the skiers.

Well, I'm not sure what today will be around here. Maybe just a really good day to stay in and read...who knows. We are suppose to have rain for 4 days straight. I'm sure I will have a few pajama days out of this system. Which I find very enjoyable. I may have to cave in and head back to the Fitness Center to walk though. Need to keep my walking goal.

Have a Good One Girls and don't work too hard!!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page