Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Lida, your family reunions sound like so much fun!! Especially the camping/game playing!! So relaxing and something we need to all do often!

Kathy, there is a peaceful beauty in the Amish communities and I think they represent what we all long to have more of....simplicity!! Welcome to the porch!

Angela, I get it now and I think it sounds so relaxing and enjoyable. I know alot of my family doesn't even get together anymore because it has become so expensive and stressful. I'm going to give some serious thought to your Aunt's gathering.

Peggy, I think the gift cards are definitely the answer for so many. I know alot of us have gone to that too and then I usually tuck in a handmade ornament or baked goods. The problem I have some years is the expense of the gift cards, but starting earlier will help.

I'm making a new recipe this evening....spaghetti with fresh sauted zucchini, garlic, walnuts, sunflower kernels, raisins on top, sprinkled with parmesean. I'll bring a platter to the porch along with some fresh raspbery juice.

Hugs and Smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Yummy Lin...save me some if I'm late! Sounds Wonderful.

Also, I found out with the Gift Cards if I tucked in small gifts...then I was paying
more postage again. So, hard...so, I just have to slap my hands and say NO! The only ones
we exchange Stocking Stuffers along with the gift cards is our youngest son and his girl-
friend who live here in the area. (no postage ;+)

Hugs,
~peg

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

Boisesue
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Susan
Boise ID
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  4:22:37 PM  Show Profile
Thank you sisters for the warm welcome you gave me. I guess it is time to start thinking about Christmas. Actually I have been thinking alot about it lately. I would like to start a made by hand only Christmas gift exchange with my family. That would also include bake goods for those who aren't very crafty. I'm not fond of spending lots of money, buying lots of gifts. I guess I'd like to have a more personal touch to our gift giving. I like to "keep it simple".

Boisesue
Farmgirl #1731
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  4:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Yeh Peggy, I see what you mean. Cards only means one stamp for postage! Actually, that's a very thoughtful gift and we all have a list of things we need and/or want, so the gift card provides that. Your tea and scones sound delicious! I'll bring plenty of the spaghetti dish, so you'll have some waiting for you even if you're late!

Warm welcomes to Kathy and Susan both!! So glad you'll join us on the porch! The gals that came up with this idea were so smart!!

Hugs and Smiles, Lin

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  10:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Is Everyone Hungry? Let's dig in and enjoy! I'll take a Rocking Chair tonight instead of the Swing.

It was so lovely and warm here today. It really really really felt like summer for the first time this year.

I am so blessed to have all my Porchie Sisters to chat with everyday...Just to share life with.

Boy Lin the Spaghetti smells heavenly!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  11:05:23 PM  Show Profile
HI
Back from my holiday and there is so much to catch up on.

Peggy - Sherwood Forest is very real and it is the place that the outlaws lived in that the stories of Robin Hood were based upon. There is still even a Sheriff of Nottingham - who is similar to a Mayor, but he doesn't live in Nottingham Castle which is also still there - although much altered.

So Sorry to hear about your dog - I think we have all lost friends and understand how you feel.

I'll think about a name for your bike and get back to you.

Wow everyone is talking about Xmas already - we are lucky I guess in that all four generations of our immediate family all live in the same small town and therefore we know each others lives really well, the financial situation, their work and family commitments so the only expectation that we have at Xmas is that everyone turns up - gifts of any form are optional. Xmas is always at my house as its the biggest - but I wouldn't want anyone there who didn't want to be there, would not want anyone to struggle to buy gifts they couldn't afford but also would not want anyone to feel under pressure to make gifts when that would be a struggle for them as well.

Lida - sometimes I wish my family lived further apart so we could have reunions like yours - they sound so much fun. We do meet up with more distant cousins etc but as noone lives further that 60 miles away it happens reguarlly so we miss that real sense of occasion. But I guess I only wish it occasionally most of the time I'm really glad we are all so close.

I have some fresh raspberries from the garden and some pancakes and cream if anyone would like to join me today.

Sue

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  11:08:32 PM  Show Profile
One day I will finally learn to spell reguarlly, regually, reguarly, regularly - why do I have such a mental block with that word??

Please reassure me you have blocks with certain words too!

Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  02:40:32 AM  Show Profile
Christmas in July! An on the job hazzard (or is it a perk) is that I have to make arrangements for the Christmas season celebrations and observances in June. In early June I close my office door, put on a Christmas music CD and peruse Christmas websites to get into the mood for planning Christmas festivities before it is even officially summertime!

We give homemade and purchased gifts to our children, their spouses and the grandkids. Also, everyone gets a $10 gift card through a game that we play- noone knows which card they will end up with and bartering after the game is permitted. The addition of spouses and grandkids started to really break the bank. Last Christmas the kids asked us to not buy them gifts but to give memories instead. So, this year between Christmas and New Years we are renting a cabin in the Adirondack Mountains for our family. We will only stuff stockngs and do the gift card exchange game. The rest of the Christmas account will make memories in the mountans. Our son leaves for Navy bootcamp in February so this may be the last time we will all be together for Christmas for a while.

It is very hot and humid here. The temps the past 2 days has been in the 90s and only slightly cooler in the night. We don't have air conditioning so sleeping is difficult. It is too hot to cook. Last night we had dinner from the garden- a salad of buttercrunch lettuce, kale, spinach, chard and radishes.

Sue- All of my children live within a 60 mile radius of us. The one who lives furthest away is moving back here this fall, so they will all be within a 5 mile radius for a time, until Son leaves for Navy and DD # 3 leaves for an out of the area grad school.

I am going to relax on the rocking chair by the rail and try to catch a breeze. There is peach iced tea in the insulated thermos on the table so help yourselves.

Peace,
Lida
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  07:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Welcome new porchies it's nice to have you with us. Always great to get different points of veiw on all our drama in our lives! LOL

Just pulled pumpkin pecan and bananna muffins out of the oven,too hot to bake, so I'll bring them over with some iced coffee.

It was so hot here yesterday...100 degrees and they expect it to be the same today. Thank God for my old tubs. The dog and I took several dips. She was so hot I had to keep her cool. All I have to say is dip and she's @ the door! We don't have ac either but we have ceiling fans everywhere with other fans here and there but it just didn't cut it.

My 2 GS are here until friday so my DD can catch a break. She started with a bladder infection yesterday and started on meds. She said she hasn't had one in years and she forgot how horrible they were. That's a real possibility anytime you have a foley catheter and she did for the c-section. Babies umbilical cord fell off yesterday and she said she couldn't believe after 4 kids she still felt sick when it happened! LOL I hate to see it too!

Peg...My name for your bike is Red Velvet. Velvet is a royal fabric and she has been around for a long time so she is royalty. I see her seat upholstered in red velvet with a License in front and back announcing her as she comes and goes. No one will forget she was there!

Must come over while hubby stays with th GS.

Talk about Christmas later.

Hugs and blessings until I get there.
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

MarionCountryGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marla
Hemet Ca
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  09:14:24 AM  Show Profile
Peg after some thinking I think I have found a name for your bike. Name her Rosaleen. Or could call her Rosalee. The name is Irish I think. If I remember it means little rose. I think it would be a classy name for a red bike. And very ladylike. Hope you have fun with your bike and can find parts for her soon. I can't wait to see how she turns out.

And welcome to you new ladies. We always have room for more on the porch.

Every Day is a gift from God, Rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  09:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Peg

I like so many of the names given so far but my offerings are

Poppy
or you could be ironic and go for Betty Blue

Sue

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  11:57:34 AM  Show Profile
Lida...Love what you guys do for Christmas, that is very Special! Making Memories will be an excellent and amazing addition to your already great family tradition.

Sue...Welcome back from Holiday and thanks for sharing about Sherwood Forest. I found that very fascinating. Got you down for "Poppy" or Betty Blue.

Marla...I got you down for Rosaleen or Rosalee. You guys are all coming up with great names! It's getting tougher, but keep 'em coming.

Darlene...I've got you down for "Red Velvet". And yummy girlfriend I can smell those pecan/banana muffins from here. Save me one and iced coffee sounds heavenly too as it will be in the high 90s today. I am rather blessed to have air conditioning however. It was the first thing I purchased when we down-sized and moved into our Senior Complex. They air condition the Lobby and Hallways but not the Apartments. :+) Gp figure! My hubby is 8 yrs older than I am and a big man...so, the heat really gets to him. So, I keep it
nice and cool for him (and I freeze most of the time). But I have no complaints in this HOT Weather!!

Stay Cool Girls...take lots of dips!!!
~peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 07 2010 12:02:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Would like to be sitting on my front porch in Maine. The breeze just blows down from Canada. You can see Mt katahdin in the back yard and watch the logging trucks go down the road, with the wind coming down behind them. Lazy days there.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the porch Jill!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Jill...Welcome To The Porch! The weather is always perfect here on our Virtual Porch too.
And the companionship is the best ever! We do enjoy good company, good food and good cool
drinks in the summer and hot beverages in the winter. We solve each others problems, console
each others losses, celebrate each new birth and laugh & cry with each other. You can't ask
for more than that out of Friendships and Sisterhood.

Blessings and Pull Up A Porch Rocker and Stay Awhile
You'll be glad that you did!
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  1:13:06 PM  Show Profile
Sue, your raspberries, pancakes and cream sound wonderful! Oh yes, I have major mental blocks and "fog head"....you have lots of company, girl!!!

Darlene, your pumpkin muffins sound delicious!!!

Lida, your garden dinner sounds heavenly!! And think of all those little vitamins jumping around inside of you!!!! :)

Haven't decided what I'll bring to the porch tonight for snack....hmmmmm!! Hugs, Lin

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  1:22:42 PM  Show Profile
I am tryin to make cinnamon rolls for the first time from scratch. I hope they turn out okay. If they are alright I'll bring some out tonight.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  4:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to everyone new on the porch! Angela, I understand now. I try to either buy all my gifts or make all my gifts so that no one feels left out if they got a store bought gift and everyone else got homemade and vice versa. This year I'm either giving donations to charity in my relatives' names or I'm buying all my gifts off of Etsy.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  5:22:19 PM  Show Profile
Megan...I love the idea of giving donations to charity in your relatives names.
I know you can buy cows, chickens, pigs etc to help feed the needy.
My MIL one year heard on the news about a young woman (late 30's)dying of cancer
and she had a young child and sky-rocketing medical bills...so, mom used all her
Christmas Money to help this woman and her son out and gave it all in our names.
I thought that was the coolest Christmas Gift Ever! So, way to go girl for thinking so generously and selflessly; yourself.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 07 2010 5:23:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  5:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Peggy! I just don't like giving gifts and worrying that it's going to end up in the back of a closet or at the bottom of a drawer, or forgotten. So this year I want to give a card, a little candy, and their 'gift' to charity. I really want to try and match their personalities to a charity, so that might be a little difficult, but I'm ready!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  7:58:56 PM  Show Profile
I have cinnamon rolls girls! They are kinda strange though. They look like pointed snail shells! They also are darker than I thought they'd be. They taste great though. I even made my own icing from butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar. It's really yummy. I'm gonna try rollin out the whole dough ball next time and cover with the filling then roll the whole thing up. I'll cut of peices after that and see if they stay flatter that way. Any of you girls make your own cinnamon rolls? Have any suggestions for me? I did get a giggle out my Hubby's idea for gettin them to rise. I couldn't find anywhere in the kitchen to set them that the fans weren't blowin. No matter where I put them they wouldn't rise. He suddenly remembered something and ran off to the barn, returning with the extra brooder lamp. He set it up to shine on the counter and set the rolls under it. An hour later the rolls were huge! Our extra brooder lamp now hangs in the corner of the kitchen from a little brass hook, it's new home.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:15:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh cinnamon rolls sound Yummy! I don't think you could make a bad cinnamon roll if you tried. Even if they look like a snail shell I am betting they still taste wonderful! Did you put raisins and nuts in your cinnamon sugar in the middle of the dough? I love pecans in mine. I haven't made them for years because I am a Bread Addict and I would eat them all by myself. Then I would have to go to 5 Step Program for Carbohydrate Addicts Anonymous! LOL So, I will just smell the ones you bring to the Porch tonight and watch you all enjoy them for me.

I have to give your hubby a round of applause for being Mr. Fix-it and actually coming up with a great alternative to your problem. I didn't hear you mention the Word Duct-tape at all in your story...so that is most impressive!!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  07:44:33 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, LOL! I have hidden the duct tape around here. He has now found something new, Gorilla Tape! It's even stronger than duct tape and it comes in black or green! ACK!

I didn't even think of addin extra stuff to the rolls. I am gonna do that in a few days when I try agian and see if I can make them look right. I got them to taste right, they just look strange.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  08:51:00 AM  Show Profile
Angela, your cinnamon roll project was quite entertaining....love your hubby's solution to the "dough rising" problem!! Too funny! I love to make cinnamon rolls when I have a bulk of time........I always roll out the entire ball of dough, sprinkle the filling on, roll up and cut into individual rolls. Such a great story!!!

Peggy, you crack me up!!! The duct-tape is the best!!! Good grief, I knew there was Gorilla glue, but didn't know there's also Gorilla tape.............oh boy, that's bad!! Probably pretty scary stuff!! A few years ago, my 84 year old mother was repairing an old birdhouse with Gorilla glue and ended up gluing her fingers together!! Yeow.........I threw the glue away after that, but she and my dad have since replaced it with many bottles, so hopefully they won't learn about the tape!!

I'm bringing chocolate chip bars and a spinach/raspberry salad to the porch this evening. Lin

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile
Angela, it sounds like you had a good time!
Well, today I'm off to Michigan for my uncle's wedding! I might be absent for a few days, but I hope you ladies have fun!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page