Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:34:33 AM  Show Profile
All you ladies gettin to visit with family and travel! I'm so jealous! I want to get my van fixed and plan a trip to mississippi agian. I so miss gettin to go new places. I've been pretty much a homebody since the baby was born. Her health situation when she was born has kept me at home. I guess I'm just an over protective mom. I think I will plan a trip just as soon as I get the van fixed. I think it's time to take my girls to see something new!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Have fun Megan!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  3:12:28 PM  Show Profile
OH NO GORILLA TAPE...don't tell my husband that would be bad!

I've always said that men fix everything with duct-tape and
women fix everything with their hot glue guns. In fact I have
given The Bride and Groom each there own supply for Shower Gifts.
Along with a nice gift too! :+)

Megan...have fun at your Uncle's Wedding.

Angela...will it cost much to have your van fixed? You and the girls
really should make some trips. Those times are always great memory makers.

We are blessed where we live because we are two hours from everything fun.
We are two hours from The Oregon Coast, Two hours from Mt. Hood and Two hours
From Mt. Saint Helens and closer yet are about a zillion lakes and two main
rivers. Plus we Have The Columbia Gorge with Breath-takingly beautiful Water
Falls, Hiking trails and fun little farming communities all around with foods
and drinks to enjoy and a lot of good Wineries too. So, it really gave us a
lot to do with our kids when they were growing up. We all have some fabulous
memories together. Do IT WHILE YOU CAN... they grow up way too fast. I am a Mother
of 3 boys and a step-mom of three others and the youngest is now 24. My baby!
Time really does fly by.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  3:23:07 PM  Show Profile
We are only about a month or two from having the money. I homeschool all our girls, so there is no set date for the start of school. We could probably get better prices on stuff once school starts back up anyhow. Right now we are workin on beautifyin our little peice of the world. They seem to be enjoying it.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  3:45:16 PM  Show Profile
You are right Angela...Fall can be a much better time to vacation.
Good Times Can Be Had At Home also...as long as you play as much
as you work. You sound like a very good Momma!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  03:32:51 AM  Show Profile
Hello All,
It has been in the 90s for the past 4 days. The lettuce and spinach are starting to bolt, so lots of salads are on tap! Last summer we bought a window unit air conditioner. The only problem was- which window gets tht a/c? After the purchase we remembered that our bedroom window doesn't have an outlet near it and our electrician SIL says we can't run an a/c off an extension cord. So, it couldn't go in our room. If we put it in one of the kid's rooms the other kid would be upset (and rightly so!). So, we put it in the guest room window. We have all been sleeping in there!

Yum, cinnamon rolls. I love to bake and eat them. However, I have to get serious about losing weight. I have a 100 mile bike ride next month and at this weight the hills are not fun. Also my knees are complaining. So, I will join Angela with just inhaling their wonderful aroma for now. I believe that a healthy way of living includes all of the foods I enjoy, but in moderation. I have been way off of moderation, so I need to avoid some until I can handle the portion control.

I love family vacations. I grew up on a dairy farm and we never left the farm for vacations. My hubby grew up in a family that traveled several times a year for vacations. When we got married and had vacation time from our jobs he wanted to pack up and go, but I wanted to stay home and relax. I still love my vacations that are here at home, but I have learned to also enjoy hitting the road.

Carpe diem!

Lida

Edited by - Lida on Jul 09 2010 12:09:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  08:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! just popping in to say "HI"...my hubby is coming home in a few minutes, and I think we're going to head over to a little stroll through the local state parks...a day outing close to home can make you feel like you went somewhere far! Last week we went to the Oceanographic Center and today Jonathan Dickinson State Park! Sometimes lunch at Club Med REsort makes us feel like we got away for a tropical Caribbean vacation and all we did was drive across town! Explore anywhere...even your back yard is an adventure if you make it one! I'm constantly finding new things...
I thought I'd bring Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones to the porch today....they won't melt and they won't put an ounce of fat on you....just lap em up and enjoy every lick! LOL!
Happy Friday!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  12:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Monica...can I have one now??? It is so HOT (though I am not complaining I wanted it). I was out working in the vegetable garden and on my home porch for awhile. Now I am here sipping iced-tea and sitting in front of a hallway fan that is blowing the cool ac-air from my living room down to the bed rooms.

Lida...you might give that a try. Also, if you have a couple cheap...small window fans, point them facing outside...they will pull the cold air from your ac through the other bedrooms. Believe me after years of children complaining about the heat...I learned a lot of tricks to cool them down. :+)

We have our AC in the Living room window then we use two big fans to blow the cold air to the back of the house (bedrooms). House stays cold all day and at bed time we can actually turn the AC off and just use the fans.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  12:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Ummmmmm, chocolate dipped iced cream cones sounds wonderful, Monica!!! Your little "close to home" adventures sound ideal....like you said, you feel like you've been away on vaca!!

Lida, the air conditioners are a welcome addition when in the 90s! So much easier to get things accomplished when you're not nearing heatstroke!!!

Angela, go while you can! You're a good mom and regardless of what you do, it'll be time with your kids away from the regular routine!

I just made some Herbal Iced Tea and a gelatin salad, so I'll bring them to the porch!

Have fun at your uncles wedding, Megan!! See ya when you get back!

Peggy, you're fortunate to be in Oregon!! Beautiful country!!
Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!

Edited by - Lin on Jul 09 2010 12:47:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  2:45:20 PM  Show Profile
Wow peggy you live in a beautiful place. My brother travels over to Portland reguarly and has bought back pictures of Mt Hood and the Oregan coast - it looks so beautiful.

I've not done any food today as it is now in the 90's and that way too hot - so I'm afraid I'm just ready to flop in the shade.

Sue

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  8:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi sisters! I'm so glad I was able to find some time in between everything to sit a while with all my sisters! So, tomorrow is the wedding, and today was just preparation stuff. This morning was the bridal shower, which was so much fun just us girls sitting around eating and talking! Then, my Grandma and I went to the florist, and they were so accomadating to us at the last minute's notice! Then, came the rehearsal. It was the usual, sit here, go there, blah blah blah. Then, the rehearsal dinner was a lot of fun. The priest who is officiating the ceremony was there, and he said a very nice prayer before we enjoyed some very good food. All in all, it was a pretty good day, and I'm pretty sure I might cry tomorrow, because out of my four uncles, this uncle is favorable. I'm getting tears just thinking about it! But I'm so glad that he chose who he chose, because I can already tell they are perfect together. Well, hopefully I can sit again tomorrow!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sue, I really do live in a beautiful place...but we all do in most regards don't you think?
There is something spectacular about every place on earth. Our God is so creative. Such a Master
Artist! And I feel so blessed that He gave us this big wide world of beauty to discover and enjoy!

I am not a desert girl however. A lot of people love the desert but I'm not one of them. I
like tall trees, blue lakes, mighty Oceans and Pristine Mountains. So for me...I do think
I live in the greatest place in the World.

Megan...how lovely that you got a few minutes to join us and share about the Wedding
Preparations. And don't worry about crying at the Wedding...doesn't every woman????

I could use another one of those Chocolate dipped Ice-Cream Cones. Any left??? :+)

While we have been thinking about Heat...what is your very favorite way to cool off?
Mine is to go jump in a Lake or River or Run along in the Ocean waves. Unfortunately
on the Oregon Coast you have to be very careful for Sneaker Waves and Riptides. Very
dangerous. But if you are careful...there is no place better than playing in the Ocean.

Blessings Porchies,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 09 2010 10:55:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  01:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies, back from vacation but with a sad ending. On our way home my in-laws stopped at our house to drop of a car for us and found my dad had passed away last night. He was staying at our house while we were gone to take care of the dogs and he must have had a heart attack last night. I feel so lost right now. He was such an amazing Dad and grandfather and I feel like a part of me has died. Sorry to be such a party pooper on the porch tonight but I needed to share and cry a little. I'm just glad the last time I talked to him I made him stay on the phone a little longer than he liked just to talk (he's never been a big phone person) and the last words I said to him were thanks and "I love you". God this just sucks
It's gonna take me a while to catch up with all the posts but I hope everyone is happy and healthy

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert

Edited by - Rxgirl on Jul 10 2010 01:02:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

daylily
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Chris
Newcastle CA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh sweetie, I am so sorry! It is just so sad to lose a loved one, especially your dad! Now you just have to focus on what a great father/grandfather he was. It's hard to keep things together for a few days, but from what I've read of you here, you're a strong woman. Hope you have lots of family around you.

Hugs and prayers coming your way!

Chris
Farmgirl Sister #346

http://refininglife.blogspot.com
http://organizedkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MarionCountryGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marla
Hemet Ca
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  07:55:14 AM  Show Profile
Dana I am so sry to hear about your Dad. My heart is crying right along with you. And sharing the good and bad times is what we are here for. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Every Day is a gift from God, Rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  08:01:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh Dana...I am so very very sorry about you Dad. A part of you did die! You will grieve for a very long time but that is to be expected. And life does suck when you loose someone that close to you. You will cry, you will laugh at the good memories, you will get angry, you will think you have cried every last drop of fluid your body could be holding but then you'll cry some more and when you least expect to. You will go through the, what if's, the could have's, should have's, would have's and you will cry out to God, Why? Why do all the good people die to young and all the mean and evil people seem to live to a very old age. Then you'll get mad again because he left you before you were ready for him too, and because now the kids won't have their grandpa any longer...and on and on and on. And you must allow each and every step of this very difficult grieving process because it is what allows you to come out whole and healed at the other end of the tunnel. Some days you will see the light at the end of the tunnel...but all too soon you will realize it is a Freight Train ready to run you over again. Eventually it will become the light of peace and hope and acceptance and you will finally be able to put LIFE and Death into perspective. And life will grow more and more precious to you because you have dealt with the realities of death.

If I sound like a Counselor it is because I was a Woman's Counselor for years. Do I think I have all the answers to life figured out?
NO! But I have been in your shoes. I lost my dad almost 9 yrs ago now, but it seems like only yesterday. He had five heart attacks in one week and he was only 69. Way too young. He was the best dad in the world and my kids only grandfather. It was hard...and I got flattened by that Freight Train several times before the light at the end of the tunnel was merely the signal that my journey of grieving was over. I will be praying for you and all your loved ones at this most difficult time. Keep remembering all that was loving and precious about Him and cry every chance you get. Tears are liquid prayers and God's way of washing away the pain.

Love and Hugs,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  08:06:54 AM  Show Profile
Ahh!I have missed my time on the porch! I am enjoying almond macaroon coffee this morning in bed with one of my dogs and my little girl. Dana although I don't know you I am so sorry for your loss. My husband's family has suffered 2 deaths this summer. As a therapist I can tell you that everything Peggy put in her post I could repeat. There are some great books out there. If you would like some titles let me know. I'm sure others can recommend some title as well. I will be praying for you and your family.

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  11:02:45 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I helped my Hubby through losing his dad 20 months ago. We were blessed to have a precious new 2 week old baby to aid in our recovery, so it went so much easier than most others. I would like to mention one thing though. Keep in mind that your dad was doing exactly what makes a great dad happy when he passed. He was helping his child. That would be something important to him and you might find a little comfort in the fact that he was feeling as if he was needed. You know how important that is to a person. I am here as well as all the other girls to listen to anything you need to talk about and to offer a hand to hold, a shoulder to cry on, and a person to lean agianst any time you need it. We all love you sister!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  3:46:23 PM  Show Profile
I just found a 'God planted garden patch' in my compost bin from last year! I had spaced it and forgot all about it. Apparently God knew I'd need more tomato plants better than I did. I have about 40 growin in there and they will be ready to pick in about a week. I posted a pic in the garden gate forum under a thread called a most unusual find. I think it's so amazing cause I just told my DH that I wanted to plant 12 or so extra tomato plants next year. I knew it was too late to start anymore this year. I guess I really didn't need to! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Dana,
I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I will be praying for you and your family.

hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  5:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Dana, I am so sorry about your father. The loss of a parent is so devastating. Words can't express the loss you will feel for the rest of your life but it will get easier. Grieve as long as you need to and take one day at a time. Lean on all of us and know whatever you need to talk about we are here. This porch is a Godsend. My prayers and love in this most difficult time.

Darlene

My God is an awesome God!
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  5:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Dana, I am so sorry about the loss of your father. It is so hard when you lose a parent. I lost my mother over 9 years ago and I still think of her every day. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and know that we are here for you.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  7:22:01 PM  Show Profile
OH Dana, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad....so very sad, my heart is breaking for you....I still miss my DAD alot...Everytime I look at my garden I think of Him...he loved the garden! Enjoy your memories and times spent together....

What a blessing we have such precious friends on our virtual porch! Women that have experience and knowledge and wisdom to help us all out as we grieve or need assistance through issues. That's what women do.....we support one another through good times and bad....We weep with one another, laugh with one another...rejoice and celebrate wins and losses!

My heart and prayers are with you and your family! Be sure to check in on the porch often so we can give you hugs to get through another day!

Blessings farmgirl Dana!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose (Farmgirl# 1780) whoohoo!
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  7:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Megan,
I forgot to tell you it was fun to hear about the wedding! I loved your description of the rehearsal! LOL! Blah, blah, blah!!! too funny! It sounded so much fun..........thanks for sharing!!!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose (Farmgirl# 1780) whoohoo!
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  10:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh Dana, I am so deeply sorry! What a difficult time for you and I am so very sad that you are going through this. Please know that we are all here for you and you are in our prayers and thoughts! These are the very difficult times for you and your family and I ache for you all. I'm sending a big Farmgirl hug!! Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!

Edited by - Lin on Jul 10 2010 10:53:15 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page