Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  04:05:23 AM  Show Profile
Dear Dana,
I am so sorry about your loss. I still miss my dad after 10 years. He had Alzheimer's Disease so it was like 2 deaths- the slow death of a vibrant man and a quick death at the end.

Your dad's lessons, stories and values are still alive, woven into the fabric of you and your children. Over the next few months you will notice that more than ever before. Cherish it. It is how God designed our hearts to continue the lives of those we love.

Hugs and prayers.

Lida
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  06:06:42 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for all your help. I can't express how much your words have meant to me. Often times other's thoughts and experiences really help to put things into perspective.
Have a wonderful day everyone!

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  12:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Dana, I'm so sorry about your dad! What a terrible thing to have happen to you while on vacation. Your family will be in my prayers as you start the grieving process. Just remember all the good times and what a good legacy your father has left for you and your family.
I hate to be all cheery during this time of sadness, but I now have an aunt! The wedding was beautiful, it was in a beautiful church, and the pastor made the ceremony so nice and personal. The reception was so much fun; I saw a lot of family, and we were dancing up a storm! I had such a good time, and am so happy for aunt and uncle!
Dana, again, I'm so sorry about your loss.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  12:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Dana, I am so sorry sweetheart. You and your family are in my prayers!

Meagan, Glad you had a fun time!

Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)

Edited by - maggie14 on Jul 11 2010 12:43:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  5:32:38 PM  Show Profile
Just went to a meeting at work....all women....they laughed at me when I told them MJF advertised our stores in this months issue....
CJ/Christopher and Banks women's clothing stores.....I'll just have to show them the magazine....."City Slickers"! LOL! They just didn't get it! They said, where's the farmers that are gonna come shopping? Naive..........FLORIDA just doesn't get the whole farmgirl thing as far as I can tell....at least So. FLorida!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose (Farmgirl# 1780) whoohoo!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  6:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Monica...I love Christopher and Banks and ours went out here in Vancouver. I was happy to see their advertising in MJF Magazine. When I worked that is where I bought most of my clothes. And they always had really cute Denim Dresses, skirts, and Country type Sweaters. So, they may have laughed at you at the store but it makes perfect sense to me. I remember one of my sweaters had fall leaves, pumpkens, hay stalks etc...it was adorable and looked very country. Another one had big Sunflowers on it. Now what is not country about that

I'm with you girl...Florida just doesn't get it! But we do here in the Pacific Northwest!

blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 11 2010 6:29:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  7:51:23 PM  Show Profile
I had a wonderful salad tonight. The lettuce, peppers, cherry tomatoes, carrots, and green onions were out of the garden. Our garden! I even threw in a few beet greens. It was great! I even had a tomatoe, lettuce and onion sandwich with it. I love eating out of a garden, but this is the first year that everything is producing at least a little. I have always wound up eating out of everyone else's gardens and only having lots and lots of squash to pass around for repayment. This year I am diggin potatoes, pullin beets, pickin lettuce, eatin peas, enjoyin tomatoes, and cuttin off squash! Oh yeah, I am pullin onions and pickin peppers too! I am in heaven! I will be gettin cucumbers, mexican sour gherkins, jelly melons, cabbage, and limas soon. I am so excited about how well everything is producin! I am gonna plant some late summer corn and green beans this weekend no matter what else is goin on. I almost forgot, I planted garlic between the tomatoes! I need to check how long it needs to grow so I'll know when to start diggin it! It's amazin what a few loads of manure will do for a garden. I am bringin in enough to put at least 3 inches on the garden this fall and lettin it set all winter before we till it in. I am hopin for a great harvest next year. The harvest so far this year isn't spectacular. It isn't even what normal should be, but I've never gotten to eat one of my own tomatoes. Unless you count the fact that I pay for the plants that my dad and I share. My romas are goin nuts though and they are huge! That is such a blessing as I want tomato sauce and my sister wants to learn so I need lots of them. I have tomato and carrot salads with rasberry dressing for everyone. Enjoy!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  8:44:57 PM  Show Profile
Angela, your garden sounds like it's doing well! I wish I had been able to put in a garden this year. Next year, though... I would love to put in just a few things. Today the wedding festivities were officially over:( But it was such a good weekend, and tomorrow my Mom and I go home. But we won't leave until later, so I still have a little time with my family!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  9:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your garden Angela!! They're alot of work, but when they produce well, they're so rewarding!!! Can't wait to enjoy some fresh produce on the porch!!!

Megan, so happy the wedding was such a wonderful time and so glad you have extra time with your family! Memories, memories, memories!!!

Monica, bummer, but I'm in agreement.....Floridians just don't get it!! All is good, girl!! Hugs and Smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  10:25:10 PM  Show Profile
I just put a stew in the oven. It's supposed to cook 6 hours at 200* then 4 hours at 325*. I have never made a long cookin stew. I have never made a stew that I didn't need the can opener during the prep stage. This is made with veges from mine, my sisters, and my fathers gardens, my DHs hunting trip and a few store bought spices. I threw in 2 small packages of beef stew meat so they wouldn't freezer burn, but it is almost all non-store-bought ingredients. It also fills the biggest turkey roaster pan I could find to buy last year. A pan that held a 28 lb turkey with room! I will have what I hope is really great stew for everyone for lunch tomorrow. I am learnin so many new things lately I am almost ready to try homemade bread agian. My last 2 attempts resulted in hard as rock lumps that were completely inedible, but my cinnamon rolls turned out great and I am learning patience in my cookin. So maybe my next trip into town I'll get some more yeast.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  12:24:35 AM  Show Profile
Angela..it is so neat to get to share in your enthusiasm for your Garden! It sounds like it is doing
amazingly well to me. Good grief girl all I've gotten out of mine so far is Parsley. LOL

Your Stew sounds yummy and I can smell it from here. I will definitely be in line for lunch tomorrow.
Talk about COMFORT FOOD!

My zucchini finally have blossoms and same with my Roma's...so there is a harvest insight for me too.
Nothing tastes better or gives you more satisfaction than eating the produce that you and God have grown
together. It's the BEST!

blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 12 2010 12:26:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  04:41:16 AM  Show Profile
Meghan- all of the wedding festivities have been fun to read about! Congrats on a new aunt in your life!

Angela- Yeah for your garden! I love this time of year when I can feed the family from the garden.

I am taking a vacation day to babysit my 3 month old granddaughter today!

Carpe diem!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  12:06:53 PM  Show Profile
Lida, aren't grandbabies the best ever? I get to see mine in two weeks. She will be turning
two and I made her a poncho and her mama a matching one. They just moved from Michigan back
to Seattle...which is much closer to me and I am so happy. Madeline is just at a really fun age right now. I have step-grandchildren too but she is my first
biological grandchild and she looks like her Grandmama. So, we have a special connection.

Have fun babysitting today!
Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 12 2010 12:08:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  03:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Dana: Dads and little girls are like two peas in a pod. My dad's been dead since 92'. I have a special picture of him on my drawing table. He is holding stringers of walleyes. I spent many good times fishing with him. After this many years, the picture helps me grieve. God bless you.
But changing the subject to PORCHES. I got a porch because my husband got a bonsai collection and needed a place to keep the trees so they wouldn't freeze in the winter. He made removable double plastic panels for the windows. He made a double plastic ceiling and door. The benches go in in the winter and a heater keeps things from going below freezing. When it's warm enough for the plants to go outside, all those panels come out and he puts up the porch swing, brings out the table and chairs and we have a REAL porch to enjoy. I wish every one of you could have one. Happy sitting gals. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  09:14:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a front porch, but it's so narrow that an outdoor chair or a rockin chair is impossible to get around. I was wonderin if any of you ladies had any suggestions. I thought about those metal chairs from the 70's that were for the kitchen table, but I have only found 1 in 3 years of huntin. Is it possible to add on to the roof and have it flat or angled up to make a trough for the rain to run off? Would snow and ice break a roof like that? Any of you girls have this problem?

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  11:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Wow Angela...good question but I have no idea. Sounds like your porch is more like just a covered entryway, unless I am envisioning it wrong. Are you wanting to extend the whole thing out? It really bugs me that houses ever got built without porches on them. A porch is such a pleasant place to be at the beginning of the day or the end of the day. It is amazing the comfort one finds just sitting and rocking. Anyway, hope someone else knows the answer to your question. I'm praying you get yourself a porch you can truly enjoy!

Blessings,
`peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
I'm feeling kind of bluesy today. I need some virtual porch time and some extra love.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Pam...Big hugs coming at ya girl. Made some manicotti and eggplant lasagna and home made ice cream today. Maybe that will cheer you up.

I cook to much when the GKS are here. I also eat to much. My diet is shot to hades! Boys going to VBS at 1 church from 9-12 and another from 530-830 and love it.

Hubby gave me an attitude because I used a prepared sauce and didn't make it from scratch so I hope you won't mind. I think it tastes good. I also told him to get used to it. If looks could kill............

It poured today....Thank God! Harvesting Yellow squash, zucchini, peppers and cukes. Have loads of tomatoes, 30 plants, 4 types, spaghetti squash on vines and other squashes flowering. I love my garden!!!!!!!!!!!!! God is good!

Peg...So excited for you and your GD. What a special bond you will have and all the fun!

Baby Trystan doing well and looks like he may have blue eyes like his nanny! The only one! GD adjusting well to him. Calls him my baby.

Hubby on a roll today........no peace for me.......telling the GKs I'm on here with a boyfriend. Please pray for me!

Blessings and thankful for tnis porch,
Darlene

Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Haven't joined you all on the porch & feeling a bit lonely. First off, here's a big hug for ya, Pam (my Oregonian sista). All of your gardens sound so wonderful. Our season got a bit of a late start due to the rain & chilly weather, so our June-bearing strawberries didn't start turning red til July, lol. It's a lovely day today (almost autumn-ish) and tho that's my fav season, I'm really enjoying our garden so am hoping we still have some growing season here as my tomatoes are looking good --and *Green* lol. I've got some vanilla cookies & tea to share

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  4:32:46 PM  Show Profile
Pam and Jewel...HUGS, HUGS, AND MORE HUGS! Pam my friend...what's got you singen' the Blues today? Anything
particular or just one of those days when you don't even know for sure? Jewel your vanilla cookies and tea ought to cheer us all up! :+)

Well girls, my 3 Wheeler is in the bike shop getting worked on. I am so excited! The guy told me it would only take a day to fix but my husband said a week and a half...so, I am praying that he is trying to surprise me and is having it painted too. But I don't want to get my hopes up too high or I'll be disappointed if he hasn't.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  7:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
<<Hugs>> to you Pam. Anything special that you need from the porchies? I have mint brownies; a bit of chocolate may help your blues.

Darlene- I am so jealous of your spaghetti squash. It is the only winter squash that DH will eat and I always plant some for him. This year I could not find spaghetti squash seeds or plants to set out. I looked at local places and the national chain stores in 3 regions of the state! I have 3 mystery squashes that came up in my garden here at home and I am praying that at least one of them is a spaghetti squash. I even asked God to change the plant and make it one if it isn't! If there is one I will save the seeds to plant next year.

Hi Dana- How is everything going? Still praying for you. <<Hugs>>

Today was a long day at work. Tomorrow will also be a long and very difficult day. Crucial conversations. End of life care. Care for caregivers. I am a chaplain and have served where I am for 11 years. I know each person so well after all of this time and it is sad when the end is approaching. We have amazing caregivers who are willing to have their hearts broken when people are approaching the end and pass away.

On a positive note- Yesterday I visited an older woman from church who moved to a nursing home recently. I don't know her well because we have only been at this church for 2 years. At the last minute I decided to cut her some flowers from my garden and they made her day. She wouldn't let go of a pink zinnia. When I left she was smiling and holding that flower and peaceful...

Carpe diem!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  7:29:15 PM  Show Profile
Lida, I wish you lived closer! I have harvested 6 spaghetti squash already! I also have 8 butternut squash. Have you tried pecan butternut cassarole? I bake and smash up the butternut, mix with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, butter, and brown sugar to taste. Spread that in a bakin dish and sprinkle the top with chopped pecans and a drizzle of pancake syrup. Bake till hot at 325*, so about 30-45 minutes. My crew says it tastes like pumpkin pie meets pecan pie minus the crust. They can't get enough of it!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  7:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Lida, I can't believe how many spaghetti squash I'm getting. I got all my plants at a feed store and everything is thriving!

I have devoted myself to caring for the elderly in my last half of my nursing career. I worked for an agency for 12 years going to every nursing home around. Then I took a job at a religious based facility that goes from houses to apartments to personal care to a skilled nursing home. I worked the skilled nursing home. I have dealt with it all. I always love my patients. Hospice care is such a blessing for the end of life but some families get so freaked out and won't talk about it. I have helped many pass peacefully into their next life with dignity. We all have our roll don't we? End of life care and having your papers in order is so important. Sad to say, even if it is in order it's difficult to have compliance in some situations.

It's so important to visit people in nursing homes. Some people NEVER get any visits. They don't get clothing or anything. I always adopt the poor soles and bring them holiday decorations, clothing, snacks and whatever I think they need. I started to take costume jewelry, perfume, hand cream, puzzle books and whatever else I thought they could use for Bingo prizes. I had my GSs make mitten door name tags so they learn to give to others.This year I'm going to have them send random cards to them. Can't start to young to instill a caring heart.

Blessings,
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  8:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Pam, here's extra love and hugs from me! I'm sorry you're blue, and if you want to share, you know we're all here for you!!

Darlene, your manicotti and eggplant sound completely wonderful!!! Hubby.....man, I'm sorry he's so insecure that he is taking it out on you. I'll pray for both of you.....ready made sauce is great, usually natural and it so helps with the precious time issue we all have. You're such an angel on earth....your work is difficult for many and it takes a very special person such as yourself, to do. Bless you!

Jewel, so glad you joined us on the porch. A great place to get rid of that lonely feeling!!! Vanilla cookies and tea sound like a great treat for dessert!!

Lida, wish I could reach through the screen and grab a couple of squash!!! Love every kind of squash!! Awesome job with your garden!

Angela, your squash casserole sounds delic........I'm going to try that because I love squash no matter what. Thanks for sharing!!

Peg, can't WAIT to hear about your wonderful bike!!! Post as soon as you get it back!!! Can't stand it!!!

Storms in the making here in Iowa, and very hot and muggy, so the porch is calling my name this evening!! By the way Peggy, did we get a "Porchies" set up? I know Brian was working on it and I sent him my email. What else do we need to do?

I'll stop by with hugs, a listening ear and lots of Candy Cantelope and fresh picked green beans cooked with some garlic, butter and fresh mushrooms. Hugs, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!

Edited by - Lin on Jul 13 2010 8:16:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Country Girl 06
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Danyelle
Haughton Louisiana
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  9:01:35 PM  Show Profile
If there are any spots open I would love to join! I can make some breakfast casserole that Mrs. Julie taught me to make. You don't have to eat it at breakfast for it to still taste scrumptious!

Just a girl with big dreams.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page