Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  9:19:13 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, that's fantastic!Wish we could have been there to watch all of that
when my hubby and I were putting in some sod at our old house several years ago, I went down to the store for something and decided to buy some water balloons. Got home, filled 'em up, and started swinging at him. At first he was pretty mad, but I was laughing so hard he had to give up and he started laughing too. I figured it was a good way to cool down on a hot day. A little mischief is always fun

Peggy-coffee cake=yummy (that pretty much sums it up)

have a great evening

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert

Edited by - Rxgirl on Jul 21 2010 9:21:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  9:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Hi porchies,
I haven't been able to login since last week. I was getting desperate!

Angela...The plug story was a riot. I can totally picture that happening. You're like a cooking and baking fool girl. We're all coming to your house to eat.

Lida...Isn't God good! He sure does supply all our needs. What a wonderful outreach you have. The barn and lady...perfect!

Peg...Finally got signed into the sisterhood and will email Brian to get into the Henhouse. Lucille is perfect. Now you need to dye your hair red like Lucys!

Dana...Glad for you being able to be blessed by your father's gift. When my mother passed and we sold her house I took plants from her garden and planted them at my home. I have a rail fence and on one section I planted her purple clematis and put a large ceramic angel sitting on the post where it grows. I have it directly across from where I sit on my screened in porch. Everyday I see it and everyday I think of all the memories we made. I smile often and sometimes cry when I look there. Medicine is a nitemare today. I don't care what disipline you're in it's terrible. The more they can get out of you the more they want. Praying for you and hope your DH doesn't lose his job.

Welcome to the new porchies. Come for a visit. I have crab stuffed mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash lightly browned in olive oil and garlic, buttered tortelinni and apple dumplings to bring. Bringing my Rita Coolidge CD...anyone remember her?

Farmgirl Sister #1922
Darlene

Love thy neighbor as thyself.
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  10:46:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, don't know if anyone is still about. But I've been hanging out here for a day or two just "listening" in. Kind of like I did when I was a kid, I would sit on the porch at my grandparent's house and just listen to them talking to each other and sharing about their days. Sometimes neighbors or other family would be there. Just soothing and restful. Life going on around me and feeling safe in relationship and comfort of home. My favorite summer porch treat was old-fashioned twin-pops, Vanilla. Yum. Anybody want one? They're melting fast. -staci
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  12:31:53 PM  Show Profile
I just emailed Brian about joining your henhouse, too. So glad I asked where "the porch" was yesterday. I was missing out on so much!

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on Jul 22 2010 12:32:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  4:53:12 PM  Show Profile
Evening gals! I see the rain going south of us again and we so desperately need it. In fact, I saw it go north of us a bit ago too. Even so, everything must go on. I baked some chocolate chip and soft sugar cookies this afternoon. Figured you might want a few for yourselves considering all the work you've done today. I may get around to making some lemon wafers, but then again, maybe tomorrow. There's fur & feathers out there to get ready for bed before too long and they outweigh the cookies. Also this heat in the 90's and no cooling air conditioning makes the kitchen horribly hot and I have a lot of baking to do for the Farmers Market tomorrow.

We're taking care of a friend's fur & feathers while they're on vacation. Definitely spoiling their hogs rotten. The family drug a hose near their water trough so I'm not having to haul buckets so much. Well, let me tell you, those hogs LOVE it when I turn that hose on. They go snorting and running right to it. One afternoon I thought I was smart by hooking the nozel on the fence and doing some other chores while it was filling. They sure outsmarted me. I got back to find them with the hose in their mouth, drinking all that cold water. Now I stand there with the hose. They flop themselves in the trough and I do my best to stand clear but they still seem to get me in the end. It's those corkscrew tails of theirs. They are full of mud and when the water gets on them they shake those tails and it all goes flipping on me. I was wise after the first day and took a change of clothes with me. It's never dull around here that's for sure.

I hope everyone has had a nice day and tomorrow is even better. Staci, thanks for the twin pops. They hit the spot.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

FG Vicki
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Vicki M
Etna CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  4:58:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

I just signed on to the Farmgirl connection. This looks like the place to meet people !!!
I'm just getting ready to leave work and go home.. Dinner to make, animals to feed, garden to water, squirrel traps to check and than a nice dip in the pool before bed...
I hope to meet many of you!!
Vicki

"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything"
Vincent van Gogh
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  6:53:12 PM  Show Profile
Evenin Porchies! I am back from my cannin class! I have lots of tomatoes and some pickles all canned up now. I think I can handle it on my own now. I am gonna learn how to pressure can in a few weeks. The lady runnin the classes said if I bring my own jars she will give me the green beans we can for the class in trade for some of my jelly. I am gonna have all this self sufficient stuff down pat in no time!

How's everybody doin?

Anybody cookin or cannin anything interesting?

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  8:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Angela, it sounds like you have hit a really good spot in life right now. I'm so happy you are accomplishing so much.
Well, here in Wisconsin it has been storming all day! Literally! It started raining at about 8:20 this morning and stopped for a little while. But then around 6 o clock tornadoes starting forming and it just started cooling down a little. Hope everyone's doing well!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  9:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Hey all. I have an announcement! I'm sure you ladies will get how big this is. My family just shrugged and walked away. I am entering the baking contest at the county fair! I have 2 recipes that I really want to try. I am also entering in the canning class, jelly and pickles divisions. I have the jelly done, and will have the pickles done the week before the fair. I am gonna try the recipes tomorrow and see what I need to tweak on them. I am doin the quick bread and cookie divisions. The theme this year is apples, so I am gonna try the crab apple butter I made as the apple ingredients. The lady in charge of the contest said any form of apple was acceptable. This will be the first time I ever entered anything like this. I am very excited. I think it's time for me to step outside my comfort zone a little. I doubt I'll win, there's a little old lady who wins most of the divisions every year, but I am hopin for ribbon status.

I made chicken noodle soup for dinner. I have lots left over. Grab a bowl and eat up girls!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  10:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Evening Ladies and Welcome Staci and Vicki!!! This is a fun place to hang out!

Hi Pam...sounds like you were hanging with your four footed kids in the
back yard! Sounds like work was a bit stressful today. What a
sweet hubby to come home and fix dinner for you! Awe...so nice!
Here is some extra hugs just for you and praying your work week
ends better tomorrow.

Sharon...sounds like the water fight was a blast! The other day my middle
son sent me a picture of his little boy (3 yrs old) with a Big Old
Super-Soaker Squirt Gun! I texted him back and asked my son if He
had a super-soaker to defend himself. He Texted back - "Oh, Yeah!"
and there daddy sat with the HOSE! LOL

Angela...Good For You entering the Fair! You just never cease to surprise me
with your accomplishments. You are like this beautiful farmgirl butterfly
coming out of your cocoon and spreading your wings and flying high!

Hi Tammy...how has your day been? Mine has been very low-key and restful. I did meet
tonight with my Bible Study Group that becomes a crafting group in the summer.
We had a great night of Needle Work and Laughing! Tomorrow I get to go see
my Grandbaby up in Seattle. I am so excited!!! Can't wait to love her and hold
her and hug her to pieces.

Darlene...I had Red Hair the same color of Lucy's up until a year ago and then I finally
decided to quit dying it and go natural...so, now I am grey/white. I was born
a Red Head but in my twenties I started dying it more of a brassier red.

Megan...hope the Tornados by passed you! Spooky...I am glad we don't deal with those very often!

Well, are there any goodies left to eat. The chicken noodle soup sounds good and so do those Vanilla Twin Pops.

I should start doing a little packing tonight but will chat with you girls for awhile here and sit on the
swing and enjoy those gorgeous stars.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  11:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Have fun with your grandbaby!

By the way, the soup has homemade noodles!

Thanks for the encouragement! I think with the way I've been stackin up the dirty dishes and tearin through the laundry my girls would argue with the butterfly comparison. They'd probably say more like a mosquito! I know my older 2 are ready to swat me for all the work they've been doin lately! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  04:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Good morning porchies........I think I'll grab a cup of coffee and listen to the rain fall...it just swept up here....fall out from the tropical whatever stage it is at this point" Bonnie"...(I don't even know if they named it yet, because I haven't watched my friends on the weather channel for two hole days) highly unlike me in summer!!! LOL!
The frogs were croaking! Now they're swimming I'm sure! I have a breakfast date with a nice lady from church this morning so I have to run, but I just wanted to tell everyone "Good Morning" and hubby is going for a job interview today! Thanks for all your prayers! We'll see how it goes!!!
Come and sit and listen to the pitter patter of the rain! Its fun to just rock back and forth and listen! ...oh, it's starting to pound heavily...hope it lets up while I drive to the restaurant!
Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  05:28:45 AM  Show Profile
natesgirl, go for it! You can do it just as well as anyone else. I love entering in the county fair whether it's veggies, baked goods, jellies, etc. It's nice to get the ribbons, but I get a kick out of just seeing our things sitting there on the table as folks go by. If anyone is interested, I have a great recipe for lemon zucchini bread that got me a first place a couple years ago. I bake it a lot for the Farmers Market and it's always a hit.

I'll stop by again later and catch up on all the talk. Got a young one to get to the eye doctor this morning and that appointment is coming up quick.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  06:27:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi
Well I've had a good day today, I went for an early morning swim which always sets me up for the day and then got a lot of work done and got paid - always the best day of the month.

While i was working i was looking out of my window and in the next door garden there is an old rusty childrens climbing frame/slide/swing. There was a family of sparrows who kept landing on it and appearing to pick the rust off - anyone have any idea what they were doing?

I'm off to bake some bread now and try a new recipe for beetroot hummous which I have never made before but might help to use up some of the excess beetroot we have.

See you later

Sue

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

MarionCountryGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marla
Hemet Ca
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  10:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Angela, You go girl! I used to enter in the fair here and even won some money. Hmmmm maybe I should think about doing it again. Our local fair is in Oct so I have a little time. I am canning seasoned tomatoe sauce today. Well it will be ready tomorrow. I am cooking it down in my crockpot to cut down on the heat in the kitchen. I am also going to make some marinated mushrooms (hubbies fav). Wonder what will be next?

Every Day is a gift from God, Rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  10:24:54 AM  Show Profile
Afternoon, (I suppose it's still morning for some of you. ;o )) Thanks for the warm welcome!
Had to bypass my home porch today on the way to help cut veggies for soup with a group of gals from the church. My glider was calling and the air was so cool and fresh today. Thank heavens we've had a fair amount of rain over the past week after a month of dry, extremely hot weather.
Our community fair is next week and we have a food stand there to raise funds for charity and outreaches for the rest of the year. I hope not to see another carrot or celery stalk for at least a few days.

Angela - sounds like you're on the right track for the simple life! Have fun with the fair entries. My daughter and I both enter baked goods in our local fair and have won several times. It is just neat to see your stuff out there on display. The whole family enters things in the art and photography contests, too. Several ribbons from that as well. My husband even entered a pie a few years ago and won 2nd prize.

Sharon, I would love to have your recipe for lemon zucchini bread. My friend blessed me with a few zucs and I'm always on the lookout for tried and true recipes. I hope all goes well at the eye doctor for your youngun.

PeggyAnn - I hope you got to love on the grandbaby all day.

Monica, I'm praying that your husband's interview goes well today.

Sue, I think I smell your bread - delicious!

Well, I have some swap items to get busy on and should get to it.
Have a great day!

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  10:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Vicki-welcome to the group...it's a lot of fun here!

Megan-tornado's scare the daylights out of me! I'll take our earthquakes over tornado's any day

Angela-Good luck in the fair;how fun! Even if your family isn't excited for you, you know we understand and will be!

Peggy-love the "super soaker" hose, I cracked up reading that one

Sue-maybe they were picking at some bugs on the swing?

have a great day and wonderful weekend everyone! I'm off to California to bury my dad so I'll talk to ya'll on monday

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  10:32:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Dana - I'm sorry to hear of your loss, I may not have gone back in the posts here far enough to know that. I wish you safe travels.
staci
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  11:25:28 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies,
Welcome to all the new ladies. So nice to have you join us. I think I will just sit here today with my teapot. I am feeling a bit down..not really sure why..but nothing like good company and pot of tea to cheer me up.

blessings ladies
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  11:42:51 AM  Show Profile
Angela, you just SHOUT IT OUT, because you have every right to be excited and feel more accomplished and peaceful! You've worked very hard, and it is to be celebrated!!

Dana, the less you have to work while your baby is small, the better, because as you are finding out, they grow up so darn fast!! Big Birthday hugs for the sweetie!!!

Hi Penpal Pam! I know what you mean about tired of "hearing bad stuff". I haven't bothered with the news for years now because it's always such bad news. Don't need it! Love the pups story....so endearingly naughty!!

Lida, the barn sounds so ideal! Life can be so good sometimes!

Chris, the critters are so peaceful to watch! They all are so in synch with the balance of nature and caught in "the moment" is so refreshing.

Tammy, the weeds can be a great stress reliever....I think I'll try some "weed therapy" this weekend. I have plenty to do, so should feel great when I'm finished!! :)

Sharon, so happy you're going to join us! So many stories to share and to listen to! Comfort of the porch is the best!! Love your "water fight" story!! Play is so important and something we just don't do enough of!

Peggy, there's a box to click on that will subscribe you to all threads. That's the one I clicked on because I was frustrated too. Now I get all notifications.

The company I have worked for for 10 years has been bought out in a year long Hostile Takeover and integration is wrapping up and many are getting their notices. It's hard....this is the most wonderful company to work for...very "earth friendly", and so family oriented. It's literally like losing our family! We are all so sad and lots of anger too. I haven't rec'd notice, so am thankful for that, but it will come. Sometimes not knowing is tougher. I'm okay with it and I know that it's life's way of taking my daughter and me to a new chapter and it will be good. Some days are rougher than others. This weekend will bring "detachment" from it all and I'll hit the Farmers Mkt, Flea Market and Thrift Shops. Have sewing to do at home and many books to read as well as several recipes to try. I'll bring some apple pancakes to the porch on Saturday morning as well as Sour Cream Lemon Muffins, which one of our Farmgirl Sisters posted. They're delicious!!! Iced raspberry tea to drink! Big hugs to all of you....you're the best and I love your stories!!! Lin Farmgirl Sister #1873

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  11:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Lovely Porchies (and yes, it is still morning here)

Tammy...so, sorry that you are a bit blue today...but you're right the Porch is the place
to be to get some encouragement and some extra hugs and sympathy. Hug-Hug!

Dana...so sorry honey that you have to bury your dad. So hard to lose a parent or a sibling.
God keeps showing me that death is as much a part of life as breathing...but it doesn't
make it any easier. My head knows the truth of that but my heart always weeps for our losses.
Prayen for you darlen! Remember: "Life is Tough but God is Faithful"

Sharon...I absolutely want to try your lemon zucchini bread recipe. Did you make this recipe up
yourself for the fair? Anyway, sounds like a dynamic combination! Please post the Recipe
for all of us.

Sue...do you also add garbanzo beans to your beet-root hummus? I love the taste of hummus but found
out while eating garbonzo at a Vegetarian Restaurant in Portland called "The Garbanzo" that I was
allergic to them. They make my head swell up to the size of a basketball. Not very becoming
and extremely uncomfortable. Then several years later...I accidentally ate some hummus at a
Mediterranean Restaurant in Portland and I thought it was just an eggplant dip for bread but
it had garbanzo beans in it too and my head bloated up like a basketball again. I have a lot
of various allergies...but garbonza is the only one that makes my head swell. LOL

Lin...I am so sorry about your job situation. This seems to be happening all over the Country. My son just moved back to Seattle for his job (had been living in Michigan and working for his Seattle based company from home) but they wanted him back in Seattle. They moved back July 1st and two days later he found out that the Company just sold. Well, my son works in HR...so, I am sure he will not have a job either once the new company takes over. But at least he is back in a part of the country that isn't as economically depressed as Michigan.
I will add you to my prayers and I know God has something good in store for you. But it is hard these days. It truly is and there are many out there in the same boat as you and my son.

Well girls I am off to Seattle in about 4 hours and should be hugging the stuffen out of my grand-daughter
in about 7 hours from now. I am so excited. This is her birthday weekend! And she is turning two. She is the
absolute love of my life and I haven't seen her for a year. I am so glad they moved from Michigan back to
Seattle. Much much easier for Grandmama to get to her now.

Hug,Prayers and Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 23 2010 12:05:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

FG Vicki
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Vicki M
Etna CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  3:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,

Just popping in again to see what's up..
I went home after work last night and did dinner, checked all the animals , then the squirrel traps ( I had a chicken in one , she was fine) silly chickens and then watered all the fruit trees.. By then it was dark so I took a nice swim under the stars and pine trees and the full moon.. I love being alive and living where I do..
Have wonderful evening all of you.. I hope to see you next Tues.
Vicki

Vincent van Gogh
Go to Top of Page

FG Vicki
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Vicki M
Etna CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  3:27:08 PM  Show Profile
OH Angelia ,
I've only entered one thing in the county fair, it was a braided rug about 7' around.. It placed first , you have a wonderful time and bring home a few ribbons :)
Vicki

Vincent van Gogh
Go to Top of Page

FG Vicki
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Vicki M
Etna CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  3:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Dana,
Thank-you for the welcome ... :)
Vicki

Vincent van Gogh
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  7:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Angela, I think you will do great! It sounds your kitchen is the place to be right now!
Peggy, the tornadoes were close, but not close enough to do any damage. It was crazy here last night! A man hole caved in, and a car sunk through. Then somewhere right close to my house someone got struck by lightning. It was scary, definitely! But then today the sun came out, bringing with it the stickiness and humidity! So my cousins pretty much stayed inside most of the day!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page