Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  03:37:16 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. Been off a bit this week to take the kids to CHKD in Va Beach for a doctor's appointment. It's a long drive since we're now in OH, but worth it for the doctor. Good thing is it looks like one son won't be needing future surgery. The youngest is still in need but not until he's older. We don't have another check-up for 2 years there unless it's needed, which is good.

Today is Friday and that means baking for tomorrow's Farmers Market. I hate that the garden has basically failed this year. Between all the standing water drownding everything in early summer and then no rain at all it's a big old mess out there. I saw someone is selling seeds in the Marketplace and I'm thinking of buying some lettuce and other cold weather veggies from there to try and salvage something for the Market since it runs through the first weekend in Oct.

On tap for today's baking I have lemon zuc bread, sourdough bread, sourdough cinnamon rolls, choco chip cookies, strawberry bread, and who knows what else will strike my fancy. I usually have wheat bread out too but not sure if I'll get to that. It's only to be in the mid-80's tomorrow but I'll probably make a batch of lemonade to put on the table also. Lucky me, the kids get to go with me tomorow since hubby is working. Oh what joy. Don't get me wrong, love 'em to death but when it comes to 3 boys at the Market for 4 hrs they get a big rambunxious. I'm going to threaten to take away time at the pool and skate park afterwards if they don't behave. That'll fix them. Alright, time to get out there and take care of fur & feather chores so I can get back in here and get the oven cranking. At least without air conditioning it will be more bearable in the house with temps that are predicted in the mid-80's again. Take care gals and I'll catch up with you later. I've got a bunch of posts to go through so I can catch up on what's what.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  05:06:26 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, I know what you mean about the kids at the market. I had to take my 10y/o DD for the last month I did the market. My garden flopped, too. I don't even have enough for my family, so I stopped doin the market.

Well, I'm off to drop off my entries for the fair! Wish me luck!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  11:24:52 AM  Show Profile
Angela, good luck with your fair enterings! I'm sure you'll do great!
Sharon, your house will be filled with good smells today!
I get my class schedule in the mail today! I'm so excited, but in the meantime I have some chores to do to get ready for my rummage tomorrow. Have a good day ladies!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

FG Vicki
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Vicki M
Etna CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  12:07:49 PM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone,

Wow, you are all a very intersting group of ladies. I work 32 hours a week, I'm a case manager for MHSA Mental Health Services Act. I love my job but it can be very stressful..But my faith and lifestyle helps get through the days.
I'm amazed at how everyones gardens are producing. I've gotten one summer squash, of course that I had to plant twice doesn't help..At least it is coming along now..
It's Friday I can't wait to get home and collect my horse for a early Sat. morning ride and finish my pond.

Darlene your tub sounds devine, I have a large clawfoot tub that a friend gave me and I'm trying to find the legs so I too can have an outside tub.. I have a lovely one for my house but it's not in yet !! So all I have is shower.. Very hard to unwind with out a tub.. Is your water for the outside tub heated by the house water or solar ??

Angela , Have fun with your canning, I'm hoping to get enough green beans and cucumber for canning and dill pickles, and of course tomatos and peppers for salsa which we are now out of .. I love to see the shelfs full with jars of goodies I have canned,it is just so beautiful. It makes me know that I have worked hard.:)

Well since I'm working I better get back to work.
Have a wonderful day,
Vicki

"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything"
Vincent van Gogh
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  2:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Porchies...just dropping in for a quick hello but can't sit long today. Have to finish collating my Women's Health Journal, get some stuff done for my two GD's who are coming Sunday from Spokane and staying for 7 days.
I woke up this morning in a lot of pain from my Fibro/with a barometric change. And thought, "Oh, Lord...make it go away and help me to just stay focused on having fun with the girls next week!" I get tired of pain ruling my life. Sigh!

Well, I better hop to it before my hubby gets home and I can't get anything accomplished!

Hugs to you all and hope everyone's Weekend Plans Are a Huge Success!

Blessings,
~peg

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

FG Vicki
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Vicki M
Etna CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  3:20:17 PM  Show Profile
It is so quiet around here today, I'm sure happy we have a volunteer at the front desk.. I'm trying to put together a 6 week class on building self esteem for women, I have all the material but can't get the outline together.. I'm just not feeling it today but I need to get it done !!!!

I made potato soup for the center today, I thought it was to hot but we had potatos that needed to be used.. Well the kids loved it , yeah !!!!

Pam, I tryed to watch your craftser video and it just won't play..Sounds like a good idea though :) I'll go see if it works on a different computer..

Talk to you all later,
Vicki

"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything"
Vincent van Gogh
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  7:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Pam- Your dream job of connecting rurla and urban people sounds fasciniating. As a person who grew up on a dairy farm and who now lives in a medium sized city I see the need for what you are planning.

Darlene and Peggy- Count me in for our virtual bike ride! One of my dreams for retirement, which is a long way off for me, is to bicycle across the northern tier of the US. I'm not sure how I will navigate the mountain ranges, but it is fun ti dream. I road my bicycle 22 miles today and it felt wonderful to be out riding again. I am riding sweep in the MS ride next weekend so I need to get in some miles and build up some callouses.

Peggy- Praying for you and your upcoming week with your granddaughters. How old are they? How wonderful tohave 7 days with them!

Vicki- I enjoy seeing the rewards of my labor lined up on the pantry shelves too. I hope to can strawberry rhubarb pie filling and blueberries this weekend. I hope that you get a good ride in this weekend and enjoy your pond!

Sharon- Oh my, 3 restless boys and an afternoon at the farmer's market. I don't envy you! It will be a great time and you are building memories.

I have had 4 ripe tomatoes and they have all had end rot . My research tells me it has to do with the moisture in the soil and calcium absorption. It has been raining a lot lately so I can't control that. I am praying that the problem is just with the one plant that has had the ripe fruit on it and that the other plants will be fine. I am saving egg shells to work into the soil in the tomato patch (calcium and nitrogen).

I made some buttermilk whole wheat bread to go with some fresh blueberry jam. It is all on the table so grab and enjoy!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  7:43:53 PM  Show Profile
I've been away a few days and you girls have added 11 pages!! Whoa!! You're all so busy! I've missed you all....dropping off zucchini bread and iced peach tea. I'll stay awhile and try to catch up with all of you!

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  7:56:21 PM  Show Profile
I GOT A BLUE RIBBON FOR MY RELISH!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  7:57:07 PM  Show Profile
Good gracious, I have been gone a few days and yall have been busy on the porch. I will take a piece of zucchini bread and peach tea. Sounds delicious after a very busy day. I have a busy weekend. The boys are showing at a 4-H show, working on getting ready for back to school, my classroom is a mess today, and trying to keep up at home. It is a balancing act lately.

Think I will sit a spell and then head to bed.
hugs and blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  10:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Yea KITCHEN QUEEN Angela...WAY TO GO GIRL! Doesn't that Blue Ribbon Look Great on That
Jar of Relish! yahoo! Good for you! All that hard work and a double prize at the end...
beautiful jars of produce to feed your family with and a blue ribbon at the Fair.
CONGRATULATIONS FARMGIRL!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 31 2010 10:20:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  06:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Go Angela! That is SO awesome! Congrats!

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MarionCountryGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marla
Hemet Ca
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  09:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Angela! I knew you would do well. We all like a little pat on the back for all the hard work we do. So whats next on your canning list? Mostly I have tomatoes and peppers coming out of the garden now. My green beans did not do so well this year between the gophers and the strange weather. Have only had enough to cook for dinner not enough to can or freeze. Hmmm may have to hit the farmers market this morning to see what they have.

Every Day is a gift from God, Rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  10:28:09 AM  Show Profile
My Husband and I were driving home from Vancouver the other evening and we went by a huge
yard with a big beautiful garden...and there were three deer standing in the middle of it
eating all the home owners hard work. I wanted to jump out of the car and go chase them
away but my husband just laughed at me and said they would just wait awhile and come right
back...if they left at all. Oh, I know how hard we all work in our gardens to get just
a little produce to help feed our families...it just really killed me to see those deer eating
everything. Usually I love see deer along side the roads or out in a field...but not this time.

I am trying to get all my Laundry and housework done today as the GD's arrive tomorrow.
I had to take extra pain meds last night to be able to move this morning...in order to
accomplish these household chores...but oh well, you do what you have to do and hopefully
then I can just play with the girls once they get here.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  10:30:13 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much! I am still shocked about it. This was my first ever batch of relish. I only entered it because I thought it looked like the best blended jar and was kinda pretty. Now, I think it's beautiful!

Marla, I'm off to some friends gardens for green beans, melons, squash, and tomatoes. I'm gonna can more peppers and cucumbers from my garden too. I should have enough melons to make jam. I use some squashes for baking, so I'll have to freeze up some pulp. My basement is cool enough with a fan right now to start puttin whole squash up for later. I also need to make up some more relish and my DH wants more hot pickles. I'm gonna try my hand at pickled onions if I can find a recipe I really like. I'm gonna be collectin the first of the elderberries soon. I can't wait till I have enough of them for jelly! It's my favorite!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  2:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Yay Angela! All the work in the kitchen has paid off! I want to make chocolate chip cookies later, so we can celebrate! Today's weather was a little questionable, so the rummage will be next Saturday, if the weather pans out. Peggy, have fun with your granddaughters!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  2:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Today has been so much fun. I was going to make some bread for dinner but instead my husband suggested we try out a little Italian bakery. We went and got the best little treat and some bread then we chanced upon a street fair and caught a dog fashion show. There were crafts and music. We walked around, ate our treats and ran into a friend who invited us to watch him play music this afternoon. Right now I am taking a little break and getting rested up for later this afternoon.

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  6:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Angela...What a hoot! HIP HIP HOORAY! I bet you'll be entering more next year!

Peg...Hope you feel better. That pain is horrific. Have fun with your girls and make lots of memories.

Lida...I don't know how you ride so many miles. I wish I could! I had back surgery many moons ago and I have a residual weakness in my left leg after I ride or work out.
I also had end rot on a few roma tomatoes but not my others. What I read was that it comes from inconsistant conditions. To much water then to dry. I'm loaded with tomatoes so I hope it won't affect the rest.

Got my pictures developed today for my pic swap. First time I used the picture thingy @ walmart. With a little help and lots of patience I did it! All of us older people needed help but all the youngsters zipped right through it. LOL

Lin... got your cute pic today girlfriend. It's already in my album. Mine go in the mail monday.

Come on sisters join us. We have 20 in our swap and we send to each one. If you want to swap a pic with me just email me your address. It's so nice to put a face with a name.

Sister 31922

Blessings,
Darlene

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  8:53:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all! I have been busy pickin my heart out today at a bunch of friends gardens. I have a kitchen table covered with tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, beans, bell peppers, and cantaloupes. I am makin cantaloupe jam and candy tomorrow. I have to pick my garden so I can make more tomato sauce and juice. I'll do that tomorrow if I get the other stuff done. I also want to dice and cook the squash to stuff the bell peppers with. I'll probably just freeze them after that for later. I've been eatin out of my freezer stash a lot lately with all my cannin, it could use a few things tossed back in there.

It's late here, so I'm off to bed. I got a busy, busy day tomorrow!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  11:42:41 PM  Show Profile
Pam...oh, don't you just love days like that...where fun comes from the most unexpected
places and just delights your heart?

Angela...what are you going to do when you have nothing left to can? I discovered today that
my Spaghetti squash was rotting off the vine. I am so disheartened. The plant is huge and has
about a cazillion blossoms. Darlene...I think you are right...it is from a very unstable growing
season this year in certain parts of the Country.

I want to swap pictures with all my Porchies. What do you think girls? Darlene...I am in for sure!
Email me and then I will email my address back. I did sign up on the Photo Swap but was told I would
have to wait until August. OK...it's here now! LOL

I guess I need to call it a night as I am not sure what time the GD's will be here tomorrow. I usually
stay up very late or early into the morning (however you want to look at it)...but I have a feeling
I am going to need all the reserved energy I can muster up. 7 days...what was I thinking???? LOL

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  07:43:44 AM  Show Profile
I'd like pics of the porchies!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose (Farmgirl# 1780) whoohoo!
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  07:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
That would be fun! Anybody up for some tea this morning?

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  07:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Angela, that is WAY COOOOOOOL that you won a blue ribbon at the fair! That's so exciting....I'm jumping up and down for you!
It makes me want to go to the fair....ours isn't until Jan/Feb...because of our weather!
Keep up the good work Angela....your family must be lovingly proud of all you do!! We farmgirl porchies are!!!

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  07:56:12 AM  Show Profile
Kittykill, I'd sip tea with you any morning! We could swap wild stories..and laugh till the cows come home!!! What kind are we having this morning? I'm going to be heading to church in a few but I have time for a cup of tea!!!

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  08:26:25 AM  Show Profile
Monica, thank you!

Peggy, I am already prepared for that! I have some zucchini, shredded and frozen, overripe bananas, peeled and frozen, and several other fruits, washed and frozen. Those are my winter projects. I am makin our major jelly supply after the garden is done. I also have a recipe for bakin and cannin quick breads. They taste as fresh as the day they were baked and keep for a year, frozen I can only get a few months, plus space is a premium for me. I lost a freezer this spring, so I only have my upright for now.

I'm drinkin coffee this mornin if anyone wants some.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page