Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  09:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Good morning girls, The dogs and I are enjoying a quiet day at home. The house is quiet as the dear hubby and boys are out. I have had my morning tea and read my bible lesson (overslept and missed church) and just enjoying the day.

Angela congrats on your blue ribbon. OUr fair is in two weeks. I don't think my quilt will be done but that is ok. I m a slow quilter sometimes and my time has been very limited lately with so many other things going on.

This week I will be spending a great deal of time getting my classroom ready. School begins on the 23rd. I can't believe that. Summer sure has been going fast.

Peggy hope your granddaughters have arrived safely and you are having lots of fun.

Well time for lunch so I am off for now. Have a great day ladies.

hugs and blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  10:36:42 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Porchies...I have been sipping my hot tea hoping it soothes my soar throat. Woke up
during the night with it killing me. Sucked on cough drops all night (didn't help). Hope I am just
reacting to dust (from cleaning/preparing for the girls). Hope it is nothing I can pass on to them.
Yesterday, my hubby asked me if I was getting sick because I have been overly tired this week. I said
No, I just thought it was my Fibro and all the weird barometrics we have been getting in the mornings
here for a couple of weeks. So, you prayen girls, send a little prayer up for me.

I missed Church this morning too but the Lord and I have "our time" everyday anyway. I just miss out on the Fellowship and great messages when I miss Church Service. So Tammy...no guilt, enjoy your day! We carry our
Beloved Lord in our hearts and He is always with us. And you've been with Him in your bible study and the
beauty of the morning...He created for us to enjoy.

Ok porchies, a couple of you have contacted me for Porchie Photo Swaps...I want all your pictures for my album
so, I can put names and faces together. I hate having my picture taken...I like being on the other end of the
camera (the shooten end)...so, if I can do it so can you. Come ON Girls...let's have some fun with this. So, if
you want to swap with Darlene, Pam and Me start emailing us and we'll email you back with our addresses.

Ok...I'm off the Porch until later.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  10:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Peggy...Got your address and pic will be in mail tomorrow. Hope all is well and have fun with th GDS.

Monica...Sent you my address and will send pic as soon as I get yours.

I think it can be as simple as that. If you want pics just say here that you would like to exchange and those that want to can email you with their address and ask for yours. I'm all for simple. It doesn't have to be a big elborate ordeal, right?

I think we porchies could do christmas ornament swaps,secret sisters and whatever else we want to do on our porch. What do you think? After all we are getting to know each other well enough to be able to know how to love on one another. What do you all think? There's enough bad in this world, let's brighten and lift each other up!

Trusting in My Lord,
Sister #1922
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

PattiSutton
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Patti
Sterling Heights MI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  11:14:03 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies!

Room for a newcomer on the porch? Back from Church and enjoying a cup of Lady Grey before I get going on some zucchini bread. We got a couple of huge ones from the CSA farm we support and when my daughter (6 yo) saw them, she got so excited about doing some baking!

Take care,
Patti

Farmgirl #1184
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  11:22:36 AM  Show Profile
Patti, of course we have room for you on the porch! I feel bad that I missed church this morning, too. But I pray everyday! I'm going to read outside today. It's a beautiful day here in Wisconsin, so I'm going to enjoy it! School starts in 24 days, so I'm going to enjoy everything while I can!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  11:41:55 AM  Show Profile
Patti, welcome! There's always room for more on the porch. I'm doin zucchini bread too, but not till this winter. I have mine shredded and froze. I am over run with tomatoes and cucumbers. Today I am makin cantaloupe jam and maybe some pickles and relish. Tomorrow will be the sauce and juice.

My DH woke up with heartburn and a headache, so my mornin was shot. I told him not to eat so wierd before bed! He went through the fridge and cleaned out all the last little bits of leftovers then topped it off with molasses cookies! Well, I have 18 cantaloupe callin my name Girls!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  2:28:48 PM  Show Profile
Patti...Welcome to The Porch! There is always room for more. We are a large and happy group and every
one is so loving, encouraging and special. And if you are having a blue day, a funky mood or just down
right out and depressed this is the place to come for some hugs and comfort. So, welcome, welcome and
come often as you can!

Monica...sorry if I sent my address to you twice, you know me girlfriend...I told you I lost my brain
a long time ago. I am sure it's time-warped out there somewhere, or floating around cyber-space, because
I can't find it anywhere. LOL

Angela...did you say you were making cantaloupe jelly or pickling them or both? Does anyone still make
Watermelon Rind Pickles anymore? My Grandmother use to make those. I like everything she made but her
crab-apples that she canned.

I have a medium size zucchini to pick but I thought I would wait and let the girls pick it when they got
here. I don't think there mommies do gardens.

Here is a Home-making tip for any of you that might not know this but Hydrogen Peroxide takes out almost any
carpet stain spotlessly and you know how inexpensive it is. I just did a couple blackberry stains my husband
made in his office/room and so that is what reminded me to pass this little tip along to my Porchies.

Have a great rest of the day!

blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  4:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I'm makin jam and candy with my cantaloupes! I am in the process of havin my Hubby build me a big dehydrater for doin all sorts of things with. I will use a little improvised one for now though. I'm gettin 2 very large watermelons next week and was gonna make jelly, granita(?), and pickles from them. I can't remember if granita is the right word or not. You run the pulp through a blender, strain the juice out for jelly, and freeze the rest. The frozen fruit I believe is called granita. At any rate it makes a nice popsickle and you can get real fancy and run it through an ice shaver and serve with whipped cream. I have an ice shaver, but we usually just dip our popsickles in the whipped cream, it's easier!

I'm gonna try the peroxide trick on my bedroom carpet. The baby managed to get the lid off a bottle of cough syrup and dumped it on my carpet, now my yellow carpet has red blotches!

My cantaloupe jam is nearly ready. I'll bring some to the porch when it's finished.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  6:57:17 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Patti,
we always have room on the porch. Ladies I will wait with my picture until after school. We always have to get them on picture day which is shortly after school begins.

Peggy I sure hope that your sore throat is better. Camille tea works wonders with a bit of honey. It helps soothe your throat.

Angela you are one busy lady. I always enjoy reading about what you are canning.

I enjoyed this evening sitting in my backyard swing near my herb garden. The smells were just wonderful to take in as I enjoyed a cup of tea. My plants are coming along. In early September I will be transplanting them to pots for over winter in my house and I am going to plant some herb seeds. I ordered a couple of books to read on this. It totally fascinates me.

well time to get ready for bed.

Hugs ladies
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  8:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Ahh, nice to relax on the porch. Today was a very easy day. I read a little of my Secret Life of Bees book for school. I'm really enjoying it, which is good, because I have to finish it in three weeks. Has anyone else read it? Time to unwind before bed!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  8:08:04 PM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies,
Just time for a quick drive-by-posting. We were away for most of the weekend- took our granddaughter and 3 of our kids to my MILs to celebrate her 74 birthday. I love my MIL and want to be like her when I grow up! While back in our hometown celebrating I checked on my garden that is there (4 hours from our home). I picked oodles of zucchini and summer squash. Unfortunately powdery mildew has heavily attacked the summer squashes and is just beginning on the winter squashes. I have to mix up some home remedy and somehow get it to back to the 4 hour away garden.

Welcome Patti! There is always room on the proch!

Peggy- How old are your 2 granddaughters who are visiting you? I am praying for your health and stamina.

Angela- congrats on the blue ribbon! I never thought of entering any of my canning or baking in the fair. If I finish my grandson's quilt I may enter that next year.

Please count me in for the picture swap and other ways of connecting that we come up with! The budget does not include the money to join the Sisterhood right now so I can't become an official Virtual Porch Henhouse member, but I would love to be as involved as possible!

My 18 year old son is joining the Navy and leaves for bootcamp in February. He has been having trouble finding a job because places aren't interested in hiring someone who is leaving in a few months. Well he got a job offer today to work on my brother's dairy farm in the calf-raising end of their business. The job includes room & board and a good hourly wage. He is one happy lad!

This is the busiest work week of the year for me. Mon, Tues and Wed will be a minimum 12 hour days each, plus the funeral for an elderly lady from church on Tuesday, a speaking engagement Wednesday, a Christian leadership conference Thur & Fri, the MS bike ride on Saturday and then I am peaching at my home church on Sunday.

God is good!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  9:43:35 PM  Show Profile
Wow Lida! You are one busy lady. Relax and have some fresh cantaloupe jam. I'm sure we can scrounge up some biscuits. I know there was a few in the kitchen earlier.

Megan, I've never read that book. What's it about?

I have 10 pints and 12 jelly jars of cantaloupe jam on my table. They are such a beautiful shade of orange. Slightly darker than fresh cut cantaloupe, but much brighter than butternut squash. I also got 3 quarts of juice canned. The recipe I had said to pour off the liquid and puree the pulp for the jam to use a much smaller amount of pectin. I saved the juice since it was simply cantaloupe juice, sugar, and lemon juice. Then I canned it to make punch with for parties!

I will be cuttin up three cantaloupe for dryin to make candy with after I start the sauce tomorrow. I think I will get 2 cases of quarts out of my tomatoes, plus a case of juice. I always save my juice and seeds that you're supposed to throw away. Cooked with a little salt and strained it makes a wonderful juice for soups or drinkin.

I think I'm gonna can some rather hot zucchini relish to blend with my canned tomatoes to make salsa with. Do you girls think that would work? Or would it taste off or weird?

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

MarionCountryGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marla
Hemet Ca
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:08:57 AM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn I just finished 7 1/2 pints of watermelon pickles. The hard part is hiding them till the holidays. I am working on tomatoes again.

I put the leftovers from roasted chicken in the soup pot this morning. Making chicken and rice soup for dinner. So will bring some soup to the pourch later. Love putting all my organic vegies in the pot. Someone make some ice tea and rolls and we are all set.

Every Day is a gift from God, Rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:42:15 AM  Show Profile
I can probably throw some rolls out to you girls! I still have a few from the other night. I also have some tomato sauce simmerin on the stove, so you could use it to dip your rolls in if you'd like. I hope everyone's day is goin okay.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi porchies! Angela, I'll take a few rolls! Warmed up in the microwave with a little butter is the best way to eat them! Secret Life of Bees is about this girl who's 14, and it's 1964. She really wants to find out more about her mother, who she accidentally killed in the midst of a fight that her parents were having when she was four. So far, she and her colored caretaker, Rosaleen, have run away from her cold father, T. Ray. They are going on a picture that Lily, the girl, found in a stash of her mother's things. Right now they are staying with some colored honey makers in South Carolina. I am really hooked on it!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:57:04 PM  Show Profile
That sounds awesome! I'm gonna have to get it for my winter readin stack! I have a pile goin in the corner of my bedroom and will read a lot when the gardenin is done.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  1:10:21 PM  Show Profile
I think it's a very farmgirlish book! It's pretty good so far, so hopefully you'll like it!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  1:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Megan and Angela...I have read the Secret Life Of Bee's. It is written by a Christian Author who got a little new-age in her beliefs...but I still quite enjoyed the book. For the era it was written about I think it was pretty spot-on for how it must have been like. I loved how she wove in the Life Source of Bees and I could make a very good parallel or analogy to how God weaves His Life Force Through our Lives and makes us who we become. I hope you enjoy it Megan and I do recommend it to anyone with a somewhat open mind to discovering God in all aspects of life. Some times we have to look in the middle of the mundane to find the Miracles. After all, isn't that exactly what the birth of Christ was?

Lida, my granddaughters are 6 and 9 and the night before they came I came down with a horrid cold/flue something. I am trying to grin and bear it. The girls are being good as gold...which is so helpful.

Monica... I loved your email message. Bless You!

Marla...glad to hear that somebody still does watermelon pickles. Yummy!

Ok...gotta go play with my girls. More Later.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  2:04:54 PM  Show Profile
Wooohooo Angela! Loving the ribbon gal!! I'm going to enter my dandelion jelly this year. Our county fair starts this weekend. I don't have anything from the garden to enter and I want to cry over that. We've gone 8 weeks now without any significant rain and even the ground is cracked. Weeds are growing terrific though. I don't even have anything to put up this year, which is a real bummer. This Saturday Samuel takes his 4-H project (Insects I) to the State Fair for judging and Nicholas has his pinewood derby car for Cub Scouts entered in the State Fair race the same day. We're really excited for both of them. We have to get back quick afterwards though to get Samuel's 4-H chickens and Will's open class pigeon entered in the fair.

Lida, I hope all goes well with your son's career in the Navy. I'm so happy for him he has a job for the next couple of months until he heads to training.

I'd love to be in the picture swap, just don't have one of me around here. Maybe I can get hubby to take one of me. Oh, and before I forget, welcome to the porch my new friend!

The Farmers Market was torture with the kids this past Saturday. I swear even when they have something to keep them busy it's not enough. I won't be at the market this weekend since we'll be at the State Fair for the kids projects.

It's hotter than all get out! I know Mom used to say the whole, "Women don't sweat, they perspire" line but she's not here doing what I'm doing. I'm sweating! On top of that I feel like a camel for all the stuff I've had to drink and keep hydrated. I may not have a lot of land to take care of, but the upkeep of it and animals has me sweating a river. I'm looking forward to a cool bath this evening and a trashy romance novel. Figure it had better be a cool bath. Been putting up some electric fencing this morning and while I was doing it I was questioning how much poison ivy I can come up with from the task.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  4:50:17 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I'm enjoying it so far. I have to read for school, but it's always good to like something if you're forced to do it! For me, author's points of view on religion, politics, etc. don't matter to me as long as it doesn't prevent them from writing a good story. I'm not sure what you mean though that she became a little new age in her ideas, though...
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  7:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Evening girls,
Sounds as if everyone has been busy. I was to my classroom today and made some progress and that is good. Then came home and did some things around here. Someone gave me a zucchini so I am going to try and make zucchini bread tomorrow if it is not too hot. We had rain and then heat...

Hope all are good this evening. I left some peach tea and snickerdoodle cookies. I just love them they remind me of my grandmother and me having tea.

hugs
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  03:46:01 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. We're heading out early this morning. Nicholas goes to Cub Scout day camp for the first time today. He's excited about it. Yesterday the class lists were posted for school, which starts on the 24th. Still waiting on the middle school schedule though. Today the weatherman is forecasting a whopping 40% chance of rain. I'm about ready to go outside and try my hand at a rain dance to get it here. The pond has never been so low and if the cracks get any bigger in the ground we're going to lose the van. Haven't decided what's on tap for today other than getting Nicholas off to camp and feeding fur & feathers. Plenty to do, just not sure what'll come next yet.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  06:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Good morning everyone. Whew! I am tired! I had a restless night last night. I might try to go lay back down for a little bit. The pups are snuggled next to me right now. They go out, get a treat and then come back in an crash for a few hours. Ah the life!

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  11:43:16 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, you ladies have been busy!!! You are all such a motivation!

Angela-congrats on the award!

It's been a weird week for me. Buried my dad last weekend and just as the funeral finished, my husband's 11 year-old niece dumped the stroller containing my 1yr old onto the cement. She got a big welt on her head and scratched up her hand. At first I thought "great, bury my dad and a trip to the ER for a CT scan all in one day", but after a few minutes she seemed ok so we decided to keep an eye on her for the day. We were trying to decide whether to drive home (4 hrs away) to get our hospital or not. Our pediatrician (he's a friend too)thought we should stay because IF something bad happened, we were right next to the hospital that had the pediatric neurosurgeon, but we decided to get home. She ended up fine but that night was not a good night's sleep, for sure. Oh, and did I mention everyone then started yelling at each other at the cemetery over it all? So I had to play peacemaker and calm everyone down while at the same time I'm on the verge of hysterics. Gotta love family!
So I've been really lazy this week after all this and seeing how busy ya'll have been makes me realize what a bum I've been, but I did make some fresh squeezed lemonade for the porch and I'm glad to share

Hope everyone is happy and healthy and have a beautiful day

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert

Edited by - Rxgirl on Aug 03 2010 11:45:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  11:58:56 AM  Show Profile
Dana, that sounds like a crazy day! I'm glad you're doing okay after your dad's funeral and everything. My last basketball games are tonight:( That means school starts in three weeks! Whoo hoo!
Sharon, I'm sending a virtual rain dance your way!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page