sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  08:47:35 AM  Show Profile
It seems silly to start a topic on growing chives because they are supposed to be so easy to grow. My Grandmom has been gorwing chives every year since before I can remember and everyone always talks about how easy they are to grow. But I can't get them started!!! I tried last year and when they didn't come up I blamed on me being too busy and not tending to my seedlings enough since there were other that didn't make either. But this year my onions and lettuces are popping up and still no chives. Now, I know onions take a while to germinate so than since chives are a family member may be they take their time popping up also. But the onions are already sprouting. Am I doing something wrong?!? Oh and this years seeds are not the same seeds as last year. I'm using seeds I got from Frannie. I know some of you gals grow chives, Help! May be I should just buy a plant already started, but it just feels like cheating.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  9:36:30 PM  Show Profile
I moved several "clumps" from my first farmhouse to the present one. I would recommend doing that and then letting them reseed the following year. Take your spade over to Grammy's house & ask for a little start! This isn't cheating-just smart agriculture! ;) I was reluctant to ever throw anything away & so moved all the little seedlings to line a border, so pretty in the springtime! But I will tell you they can become quite pesky if you don't pull up the stragglers! You can bring a pot indoors to use during the colder months...and did you know the blossoms are LOVELY dried! Cut the blossoms when they are open fully, leaving a long stem. Bundle with rubber bands & hang upside down to dry! They dry a sweet lavender color & very delicate!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  10:24:49 PM  Show Profile
I think they grow best from clumps. I bet you could get one from anyone growing some..they spread bigger each year. I love garlic chives too and always have both going. I am amazed how well they come back each year. I love chive blossoms too..and especially love to steep some in rice vinegar..they turn it the prettiest color and give it a delicate onion flavor.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  4:47:52 PM  Show Profile
I have never had success with seeds. I buy chives in a pot then plant like anyother herbal perennial. They are a perennial and should come up every year on their own. Mine are already up from last year, zone 4-5.
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  5:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Here's another vote for starting with a plant rather than a seed. I planted my plant five years ago and it has done great. From a plant, chives are extremely easy to grow. I had to move them two times (so far) and it didn't faze them in the least. Don't feel like a cheat on this one...just buy a plant and get going. You'll be adding chives to your soups in no time.

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  03:28:53 AM  Show Profile
If there's a variety you want really bad and can only get seed, then start it indoors in a pot. It's hard to direct sow chives and have any luck; if they sprout they dessicate really fast without babysitting.

The piece of a clump idea is a sensible one. I've done chives both ways, and the clump is easier and less stressful.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  04:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Chives are easy and those potted ones you buy started out as seeds too, so either way but I have to agree with the others on planting them in clumps, I think the chives like the company, I have some that I planted from seeds over 5 yrs. ago that do better each year. And garlic chives are the best for cooking, I can send you some Melissa if you want to try them? Good luck!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  08:26:24 AM  Show Profile
You ladies are so wonderful. I think the vote is.. buy a chives plant and start that way. There are just some plants that although they were once started by seed your better off just buying the plant. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. You see..I'm turning my little veggie garden into a self sustaining (hopefully) herb garden. We're going to be living somewhere else this time next year so I want to leave the garden so it can take care of itself incase the next people who live there do care a such things. And I think chives are good plant for that, I also have a big oregano bush, lavender, rosemary, I'll be planting calendula and for myself this year garlic, onion and lettuce, some sunflowers and I'll be looking for some other herbs that take pretty good care of themselves. I was also thinking of some catnip and taking a cutting from the "melissa" out front and starting one for the herb garden. This one of many projects before we take off.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  9:39:06 PM  Show Profile
Well Melissa, aren't you a sweetheart, to think of the people who will come after you! Not too many folks would do that these days! I'm so encouraged by your kindness! A bit of asparagus & rhubarb are nice plants for a carefree garden that pops up every year. You might try those too! Happy gardening!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  12:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Will you be making your farm dream come true next year????

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  10:40:04 AM  Show Profile
Hey thanks Rhonda, I didn't know that.. Sue, I WISH!! You gal would be the first to know..DH and I are hoping to go to India in Jan. to teach at a bording school for poor children. Than we be moving back the east coast. I've been wanting that for 6 years now, ever since I moved to LA to be with him. Now we've decided to try living over there again and finding a place to settle in. I won't be leaving you gals though I'll still keep in touch even if we get a chance to go to India.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  3:54:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Melissa - going to India! What an amazing adventure - and a worthwhile cause, too. That's really exciting - I hope it happens for you.

Rhonda - I'm now inspired to plant a few rhubarbs - I just love rhubarb chutney and pie - I'd sort of forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  4:15:03 PM  Show Profile
Melissa,

India sounds really interesting. My dh wants us to take adventures like that and teach after we retire. We want to go back to east coast too. Someday. Good luck with the chives. I too, vote for starting from plants. Mine have been coming back great each year.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  08:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Yeah I hope I can aford that plane tickets, that's what it's all resting on. Debbie sounds like we're on the same wave length. If your real interested "Google" The George Foundation and you'll see what were going to be doing and where and why and who.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  09:53:32 AM  Show Profile
Hey, as someone who's benefiting from the plants left behind by a former homeowner, I can tell you it will be much appreciated.

Each of the three summers since we moved into this house, I've found something else coming up that must have been planted years ago. When I turned over a strip of sod in the back yard, I uncovered so many tiny bulbs. The next spring, probably because I loosened up the soil, there were green shoots everywhere. Until I read this post, I didn't realize they were chives (they didn't flower last year). This year I'll be able to enjoy them properly (ie in food!)

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  11:55:00 AM  Show Profile
Melissa,

I'll check it out.