Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Good sprayers for fruit trees? Next Topic  

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  08:00:31 AM  Show Profile
So I just spent the last hour figuring out what to get and placing an order for things with which to spray my fruit trees. Now I need a new sprayer.

I googled it and got all these HUGE agricultural ones. NOT what I had in mind! I don't mind paying for a premium sprayer, but I don't need to do 500 trees; just a few. What do you use to spray your trees? What sprayer do you covet? I'd like to have one that can handle several different things, and not clog if I have to use something powdered someday.

And has anyone had good luck with the codling moth traps? I see an assortment of choices, but ended up with one I thought would best survive the prairie winds. I hope it works; my grandsons are counting on being able to climb a tree and pick and eat apples!

Thanks, girls!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  12:47:30 PM  Show Profile
I have never sprayed mine at all. So far so good. I sure need to prune them!! We just have two really really old apple trees ( a delicious and a Jonathan) a 2 year old Yellow transparent apple, a one year old peach and 3 or 4 (hard to tell..they are so close together) old plum trees. I want to plant apricots and cherries this year!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  6:11:46 PM  Show Profile
I had 40 apple trees at one time (a while ago) and we had a 10 gallon sprayer. It is a Hudson sprayer. It has the 10 gal tank, and a handle, and its on two wheels and you pull it along. I have a nice 20' long hose on it so I can set it between two trees and do both without having to move it. It has a small little gas powered engine. I got this one when my dad died years ago, but I do not know what they cost new - you'd have to contact Hudson - or perhaps they have a web-site now. Rule of thumb, when spraying an all purpose spray, you need three gallons per full grown tree, spraying til the spray drips from the branches. Dormant spray is less, just til the tree is wet, but not dripping. Hope that helps. Read the instructions on the labels of the sprays you use to get the best results and so that you don't hurt the tree - sprays can burn the leaves. I think you're not supposed to spray an all purpose within 30 days of the dormant spray - I'll have to read up on that again. Oh, and when you mix a powder, use warm water in a small container and mix in the powder before you add it to a tank of water....you know, its kind of like making gravy - you don't just dump the flour into the water, you have to do it a little at a time so it doesn't lump-up. Good luck.

Here's an organic recipe for codling moth that works well:
1 banana peel, 1 C. Sugar, 1 C. white vinegar
put all in a plastic milk jug (or glass gallon vinegar jug)
and then fill the jug with water.
Use a rope, or metal to make a hook and hang the jug
in the tree branches. It attracts the moth, they go in, and drown.
It works well.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."

Edited by - OregonGal on Mar 29 2006 6:20:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  09:10:34 AM  Show Profile
Thankyou so much, Chris! I'll google Hudson, and see if I can find something similar. And thanks so much for the codling moth recipe! I really appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Good sprayers for fruit trees? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page