Karen Olson
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Karen
Racine WI
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  8:53:18 PM  Show Profile
I too am so glad to find this group of farmgirls who enjoy spinning and weaving. My husband bought me my first wheel for our 1st anniversary 35 years ago and now I am spinning on a fabulous Louet S10, it spins like buttah! Spinning, no matter how well you do it, is so relaxing isn't it.

Soleil I love you signature it is very unique.

Karen O.

walkin in the woods!
Go to Top of Page

Karen Olson
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Karen
Racine WI
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  6:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey spinners and weavers the weather is starting to get cooler aren't ya just getting the itch to sit outside and spin???? I know that I am!

Karen O.

walkin in the woods!
Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  10:58:15 AM  Show Profile
We live on a lake and on a beautiful free day, I like to spin outside on the dock. It's so fun to watch the fishermen come in a little closer or peek at me with their binoculars. I just smile and wave. Have only had a couple actually venture close enough to ask about what I'm doing. It's great fun!!!! : )

Blessed be,*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Glad to find this! I have an antique treadle wheel that appears to be in good working order. I have had the wheel for 3 or 4 yrs and I find myself having a very strong urge to learn to use it. I've read that it can be very relaxing. I recently purchased a book about spinning and I am trying to find a spinning guild in my area. I am in hopes to go to a fiber fest in western new york next month. Although the book is full of information, I would like to actually see someone process the fiber from start to finish.
It just seems like it would be so rewarding to spin my own yarn , then crochet a sweater or something. I haven't considered weaving............hmmmm.
I have read that wool is the easiest fiber to work with - of course I don't know if that is true or not.
Any recommendations for a rookie to start??

Farmgirl #1954
Go to Top of Page

Karen Olson
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Karen
Racine WI
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  3:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Wool is all I have spun with and I really love it. Of course you can always blend other fibers with it such as angora...ooooooooooo that is so nice. Good luck to you Brenda!

Karen O.

walkin in the woods!
Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  5:37:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen
Once I jump in and get started I think/hope I will like it.
Brenda

Farmgirl #1954
Go to Top of Page

weaverbird
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Anne
Virginia Beach Virginia
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  11:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Finished my first weaving sampler! And I don't want to burn it! I'm out on my screened porch with the cat knitting a sweater from some Border Leicester wool and mohair I finished spinning (the cat thinks he's helping), and carding some alpaca on and off. Spent yesterday with a group of women dyeing our yarn in big pots outside over fires kept up by the hostess' husband. Got to love a husband like that, dontcha? 'Course, mine is cooking while I'm knitting, so I can't complain.
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  06:54:40 AM  Show Profile
I love to spin and weave both. I rarely seem to have the time to set up my loom any more but I'm teachinga Fiber workshop on the 2nd and bringing in my loom so I'd better get crackin'! That's one supportive hubby Anne, you're very lucky.

Spinning is medatative. My fiance built be a solid wood bench out of sugar maples. It's the most beautiful piece of wood working, he left the bark on in places, carved it out in places and made it so I can take it apart and carry it. He covered it in shellac and milled the tree himself. That's also one supportive soon to be hubby! <3

LR
Go to Top of Page

countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  12:50:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi - It was great finding you all on here!! I spin and we have a local group here called Sheep Thrills that I belong to.

I have an Ashford Traditional wheel and have just gotten back to it after closing my bookstore. I took a class in weaving a few years ago, and I'm looking for a 36" loom (I don't have room for a large one) that has the pedals. I think one that I had looked at was a baby wolf.

I enjoy spinning alpaca and corriedel(sp)merino cross the most, so far. I had an Australian Shepherd who passed away last year and I've been saving her hair that I had gotten from her by combing and when I sheared her during the summers. I've heard you can mix it with wool and spin it. She was one of my best dogs and I was hoping to make a pillow or something out of it.

I also crochet and I'm trying to learn to knit. For those just starting to spin, I just want to put out there that I almost threw my spinning wheel out the door the first couple of weeks, then I just seemed to get the hang of it. So don't get discouraged!!!

Thanks for being here!
Ellen

Go to Top of Page

Moonshines
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Lorrae
Craig Co
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  9:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Greeting from Colorado I have been a spinner for about 20 years just not a steady 20 I love it even more now that I spent the money and had my fiber put into roving no more carding. just spinning I am getting ready to warp my first weaving project can't wait just have to find the time to get started I love to knit with our fber its cormo really soft and strong love love it. I have found a few new spinner to hang with and that is why I am getting the weaving started.

Moonshines Happy spinning Farmgirl 1649
Go to Top of Page

countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  1:41:46 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Moonshines! Good luck on your weaving project! I understand what you mean about carding. It's not one of my favorites either. I learned it so I'd know and then I haven't done much since then. I just recently spun some pencil roving and I really liked it. It's thiner so you don't have to draw as much.

I'd also like to talk to spinners that crochet. I have read about having to spin a certain way if you're going to crochet it. Anyone know anything about that?

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  2:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Well Hello Miss Lorrae !

I am one of those newby spinners that Lorrae is trying to teach ! Lorrae and I along with other spinners and knitters meet on Monday nights . We have a VERY sweet and patient knitting teacher.
Hope ya found some great cabinets for your sewing room !!
Love ya
Susan
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  08:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Hello, sisters! Many years ago I was a spinner and weaver and due to downsizing sold my wheel and loom but I miss it so much and am back in the market for a used wheel and loom. If you know of anyone who is ready to sell, please let me know. Thanks

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  08:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi weavers, I need some parts for my loom does anyone know where I can get parts? And who has the best price on reeds?

Edited by - antoinette on Sep 30 2010 08:37:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Moonshines
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Lorrae
Craig Co
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  09:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey Miss Susan so glad to hear from you. Ladies I wish you all could cometoCraig and have Susan teach you about spinning and weaving I am so lucky our paths have crossed. Antoinette there is a Ashford dealer in our area is yours as Ashford??? Star-schipp I will keep my ears open for used equipment there was a man that had one but I can'tgethim to call me back

Love to chat with all butgotta go get my cake outof the oven

Moonshines
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  7:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Hello All, Starletta, I don't know if it's still available, but i saved this add because it sounds like such a good deal. An Ashford Traditional and accessories for 100.00 It is in Salt Lake City so you might pay almost as much for the shipping, but it would still be a fair price.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=12539811&cat=&lpid=&search=spinning wheel.
Lorrae see you when I get back from NYC. Hugs !!
Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Spinners and Weavers Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page