MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“Using our chickens eggs and only the freshest ingredients my mom, sister and I started making our cakes. It is a lot of fun baking in my moms kitchen. She has great equipment and plenty of room.

The cakes turned out perfect. Now we have to let them cool. Trim the tops and then ice and decorate.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“We baked our cakes. It was so much fun!

We let them cool. We trimmed the tops so they would sit straight when stacked and then we begin icing. We used a butter cream icing using real butter. It was soooo good.

I decorated mine with my own design that I had drawn out. I used nuts and dry fruit.It was a really yummy cake and my family said they loved it.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Trash Talk Merit Badge!

“I went with my mom (Suzanne #828) and my sister into town to locate our recycling center. We found the newly re-vamped recycling center close to the center of town where it is easy to get to for everyone. It is clearly marked. They have large dumper bins for each type of material.
I am keeping up with how many loads of things that can be recycled we take to the center in my journal.

We use many things that can be recycled. Instead of throwing them out, we are sorting them and taking them to the recycling center.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Trash Talk Merit Badge!

“My sister and I have been collecting recyclable items in the bags we set up in the pantry. They are labeled so it is easy to separate things out. We drop things off at the recycle center every other week.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Trash Talk Merit Badge!

“Our Parish does not pay for recycled goods and a local charity collects the tin cans that you do get money for, to fund their programs. My sister and I shared this with our family.

I did find out from my Dad that we can take big items to scrap yards to get paid. My sister and I collected copper scraps from the job site when our house was being built and we were able to sell those to the scrap yard for a nice amount of money. I saved mine for something special.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level It's in the Bag Merit Badge!

“I got to choose three of my very own shopping bags. I have them hanging in the pantry ready for the next trip. I really like the ones I picked.

Learning to reuse and recycle is a good thing for our earth. I can use the bags for shopping and other things too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:36:15 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“My grandmother has a friend who is 101 years old and I have gone several times with my grandmother to bring her food and flowers. Her name is Miss Annie. She has never been married. She used to take care of my grand mother when she was a little girl and then my great-grandmother before she died.

I have learned a lot about my family from Miss Annie. She tells me stories about my grandmother and my dad when they were both little.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:37:45 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I have been to the food bank with my grandmother who lives two town over twice.She goes into Baton Rouge and collects the the food and then delivers it to the people in her town that need it. I helped deliver it to the people who need it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:41:06 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“I went through all of my Mom's herbs and spices (she has a lot). I sniffed each one. Some smelled yuck, but some were yummy.

I liked ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. My mom uses those in cookies. Her basil, oregano, and rosemary are from her herb garden and they smell great. I didn't like the anise.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“My mom has a really nice herb garden with many many types of herbs. I have tried all of them. I really like Basil because you can make pesto out of basil.

I have helped my mom make lots of pesto. I love fresh herbs best. My favorite thing to eat is fresh tomatoes from our garden and cheese with fresh pesto made with our basil.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:44:07 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“We cut lots of herbs from our herb garden this year. Our neighbor helped us dry it and chop it up real fine.

We have used the dry herbs in lots of dishes so far. I like the fresh herb better, but the dry works good when you don't have fresh. Next year we are going to plant and package up enough to give as presents.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Make it Fruity Merit Badge!

“My dad took us blackberry picking at a friends farm. It was a lot of fun. We pick enough blackberries for my mom to make us a blackberry cobbler. YUMMY”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:48:45 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“With my sister and mom I picked out a recipe to follow for the cake and icing. My sister and I agreed that we wanted to be sure and use lots of our own chicken eggs.

We drew up designs for our cakes and took a list of ingredients to the store. We purchased the ingredients that we needed and came home to begin baking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“My mom and sister and I used all of our fresh ingredients to make our yummy cakes. We mixed them together carefully in my mom's big mixer. It is so much fun cooking in my mom's kitchen.

The cakes turned out perfect. We will let them cool and then carefully cut the tops off for a nice fit. Then we can decorate!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“We finished our cakes. Mine was decorated different from my sister's. I couldn't wait to eat mine and I cut it straight away. I decorated it mostly with nuts and some dried fruit. I used the same yummy butter cream icing.

This is my favorite cake. I really like to cook. My mom lets us get in the kitchen a cook all the time. We just need to clean up after ourselves.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  3:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Olivia Chediak (Young Cultivator of Lisa Hoover #4313) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Green Thumb Kids Merit Badge!

“Olivia has planted her very own organic garden. She also enjoys helping her Mama in the big garden. She is patiently waiting for some yummy peas.

Her garden looks great! She not only loves to garden but loves to help Mama in the garden. She is also helping to sell onions to local neighbors. All veggies are organic and fresh.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  4:12:49 PM  Show Profile
Jacob Gale (Young Cultivator of Margaret Gale #5335) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Let's Go to Town Merit Badge!

“Have own library card and got a schedule of events for his age. He loves it! He loves books and learning new things.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  12:40:02 PM  Show Profile
Emma Krell (Young Cultivator of Jessica Krell #5148) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“I earned my badge by doing all three levels. I picked some berries. Then I dried them. And I also made some fruit leather with them.

Picking the berries was really fun! We picked raspberries and saskatoons. The hardest part was not eating them along the way! We went with all our friends and stayed for lunch afterwards.

At home, my family and I dried some of both kinds of berries and used them in our oatmeal the next day for breakfast!

Then, we took some of both kinds of berries and we made some fruit leather. It smelled delicious!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  12:41:50 PM  Show Profile
Alysha Krell (Young Cultivator of Jessica Krell #5148) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“I earned all three levels because I picked raspberries and saskatoons. The raspberries were tricky because they were hiding but the saskatoons were easy. I also dried some of the berries and I also made some fruit leather with some.

I walked up and down the rows of a U-Pick berry farm and it was fun because we got to chat with mom and our other friends.

Then we came home and dried some berries in the dehydrator, but I wanted to just eat most of mine!

We also mixed together raspberries and saskatoons to make fruit leather.

I want to go back to the berry farm and gather more berries to make jam next time! This was fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  12:45:32 PM  Show Profile
Ethan Krell (Young Cultivator of Jessica Krell #5148) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“I picked some raspberries and some Saskatoons with my mom and our friends. Then we dried some of the berries and used some more berries to make some fruit leather.

I really liked picking berries with my friends! We got to talk and play and I picked a lot! Then we dried some berries at home and used some more to make fruit leather. I really loved it! I want to go pick more so we can make more!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  1:04:53 PM  Show Profile
Paige Krell (Young Cultivator of Jessica Krell #5148) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“I picked berries and I dried them and I made fruit leather. I even made some jam, too!

I had a lot of fun picking berries! It was harder than I thought to gather enough raspberries to use, but the saskatoons were easier to pick. But I like raspberries better! I had fun putting the berries in the dehydrator and I really liked the fruit leather! I picked extra berries of my own so I could make jam and that was delicious! I gave a jar of it to my dad for his birthday and he really liked it! This was really fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  1:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Caleb Krell (Young Cultivator of Jessica Krell #5148) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“I earned my expert badge because I picked berries and dried some and made some fruit leather.

I thought picking the berries was hard work, but I like to work, so it was fun. I wanted to eat them as soon as I picked them, but I waited! It was hard! When we got home we dried some of the berries and I liked eating them in my oatmeal the next day. We also made some fruit leather and it was delicious! I want to pick some more!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  5:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Hailey Philip (Young Cultivator of Nicole Philip #5090) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Make it Fruity Merit Badge!

“We went with our Northern Cultivators group to pick berries at our local U-pick farm, we were able to find a lot of raspberries and a few saskatoon berries before they were completely finished their growing season. We had a picnic after and then had to leave when it started to really rain.

We had a lot of fun, I mixed my raspberries and saskatoons into the same picking pot but I think it will taste better that way. I didn't mind a little bit of rain, they had a playground there too for after our picnic.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  5:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Hailey Philip (Young Cultivator of Nicole Philip #5090) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Make it Fruity Merit Badge!

“After we picked saskatoon berries at the U-Pick farm, we came home, washed them, and then put them in our electric dehydrator for 12 hours. Afterwards, we checked to see if they were dry and then put them into a plastic container with a lid and put them into our snack box in the pantry.

The berries didn't wrinkle up like a raisin, they still had a round shape. They are much harder and they will probably taste really good baked in muffins.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  5:27:07 PM  Show Profile
Hailey Philip (Young Cultivator of Nicole Philip #5090) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Make it Fruity Merit Badge!

“Using the raspberry and saskatoon berry mix that we picked at the U-pick farm, I rinsed them and put them into our Magic Bullet blender. After it was really smooth, I poured them onto the plastic leather maker sheet in our electric dehydrator, making sure I didn't pour it over the edges to drip down below. After 12 hours the fruit leather was done. We broke it up into a plastic container with a lid.

I think the 12 hours was too long as it was drier than expected, but it tasted really good!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Young Cultivator Awardees - Awesome!:  Young Cultivator Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page