MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  6:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Let's go to Town Merit Badge!

“On June 1 2013 we went as a family to the library and I signed up for and received my library card. I also signed up for the Summer reading program.

While at the library I asked for a copy of the Summer activity schedule so I would not miss anything. It turned out great because now I can check out books on my own account instead of my moms.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  6:26:03 PM  Show Profile
Lily Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Let's go to Town Merit Badge!

“On June 1, 2013 my family and I went to the library so I could get my library card. I also picked up a calender of events so I would know what things I could join in on. I get to check out books with my own card.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  5:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Luna Wolf (Young Cultivator of Katrina Bogdon #4763) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Make it Fruity Merit Badge!

“I went a long ways off to a blueberry patch (Thunderbird Berry Farm). We took a big bucket and we started picking lots of berries. I made a bunch of 'berry' jokes.

I picked one pound and Katrina picked about three pounds. It was really fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  5:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Luna Wolf (Young Cultivator of Katrina Bogdon #4763) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“Spread food colored red icing on the cake. Add rainbow and chocolate sprinkles on top. I would use a three layered cake. The filling between the layers would be chocolate mousse. (I do not like fruit or nuts on my cake).

In my imagination, it turns out to infinity and wonderful!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  5:35:28 PM  Show Profile
Luna Wolf (Young Cultivator of Katrina Bogdon #4763) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“My mentoring sister got a copy of a chocolate cake recipe for kids off the internet. I buttered the pans and dusted them with cocoa powder. Then, we made our own batter. I read the recipe by myself. I added the mixed the ingredients, including eggs, vegetable oil, salt, and sugar, of course. I got to learn how to use the dishwasher afterwards.

It was really fun! My toothpick turned out clean. The cakes are now cooling the rack. The crumbs taste wonderful, like dark chocolate. It turned out really good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  5:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Luna Wolf (Young Cultivator of Katrina Bogdon #4763) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level All Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I just took a really pretty red button. I crossed the button three times with my thread, and I tied it off by stitching it under one of the stitches I made. I poked the needle through its own loop and did that three times. I cut the thread off.

The sewed button looked like a pretty apple on a pretty pattern of lily pads. It was wonderful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  5:29:14 PM  Show Profile
Jessie May Hoover (Young Cultivator of Lisa Hoover #4313) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Green Thumb Kids Merit Badge!

“My favorite fruit is green grapes. I like them because they are sour and juicy!

I got to try yellow wax beans. I did NOT like them, they were gross! They looked pretty and my friend liked them. My mama cooked them for dinner, I still did not like them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  5:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Jessie May Hoover (Young Cultivator of Lisa Hoover #4313) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Green Thumb Kids Merit Badge!

“My mama took me and my friend Olivia ( our newest member of the Rockin' Farm Chicks) to Underwood Farms in Moorpark CA.

We had so much fun picking strawberries, green beans, yellow wax beans, beets and radishes. We got to buy honey sticks too!

We try to eat organic as much as we can at home, we have 8 large raised bed garden and plan to have a green house this fall. We are now into composting, which is amazing! Organic is important because there are no chemicals that can harm us. It is better for the earth also.

We got a huge basket of fresh picked strawberries and veggies. My mama cooked up the yellow wax beans, I did not like them but I like most veggies just not those.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  5:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Jessie May Hoover (Young Cultivator of Lisa Hoover #4313) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Green Thumb Kids Merit Badge!

“This is my garden, I have a Mr. Stripie tomato plant, and he is huge!! He takes up most of the garden box. I planted Marigolds and California poppies along with him. He has 6 tomatoes so far and more coming.

He is getting bigger every day, only green tomatoes at this time but they will have cool yellow stripes when ripe. I can hardly wait

I had so much fun with my friend Olivia, we are farm girls through and through.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  5:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Olivia Chediak (Young Cultivator of Lisa Hoover #4313) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Green Thumb Kids Merit Badge!

“My name is Olivia. I am the newest member of the Rockin' Farm Chicks of Agua Dulce.

I went to Underwood Farm with my farm girl friend Jessie and we picked fruit and veggies. I picked Kale, when I got home, my mom cooked it up and guess what? I LOVED it! I am a super trier!!

My favorite fruit is Strawberries, Yum”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  5:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Olivia Chediak (Young Cultivator of Lisa Hoover #4313) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Green Thumb Kids Merit Badge!

“I went to Underwood Farms , it is in Moorpark California. They have lots of things to pick. They have lots of farm animals too. We picked strawberries, Kale, green beans, beets and radishes
It was fun”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  4:19:01 PM  Show Profile
Sterling Schaffner (Young Cultivator of Amber Schaffner #5102) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level Green Thumb Kids Merit Badge!

“I did the Beginner level and decided to put some of my pet shop toys on top to decorate it. I did the Intermediate level and we baked a sour cream cake. I did the Expert level and decorated it and took a picture.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  4:36:03 PM  Show Profile
Alyssa Kerschke (Young Cultivator of Eliza Kerschke #5103) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“We talked about what we would use to make and decorate the the cake. We decided to use littlest pet shop toys on top of frosting. We baked a yogurt cake. I measured the ingredients and mixed them in the mixer. While the cake cooled we made frosting. Then, decorated it.

It turned out awesome, because it tasted yummy. It was cool to make it all by myself.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  4:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Bailey Tolliver (Young Cultivator of Miriam Tolliver #5280) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“Bailey decided to make a cheesecake for our guests on the 4th of July.
On her own she baked a cheesecake from scratch including a shortbread crust. She then decorated it with a berry sauce from blueberries she picked the day before. It was awesome!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  3:49:38 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner, Level Trash Talk Merit Badge!

“I went with my mom (Suzanne #828) and my sister into town to locate our recycling center. We found the newly re-vamped recycling center close to the center of town where it is easy to get to for everyone. It is clearly marked. They have large dumper bins for each type of material.
I am keeping up with how many loads of things that can be recycled we take to the center in my journal.

By collecting things that can be recycled from around my house, I can see how much we are using and how much we were wasting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  3:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Trash Talk Merit Badge!

“I have, with my sister, set-up bags in the pantry to collect items for recycling. We separate them out so they are easy to drop off at the recycle station. Each bag is labeled.

We take the bags to the drop off station about once every other week. It is working out great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  3:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Trash Talk Merit Badge!

“Our Parish does not pay for recycling most items. The tin cans are collected by a charity group to fund their projects. But I did share this with my family along with my sister.

I did find out that we could recycle big items at a scrap yard. My dad took us to a scrap yard to turn in copper wire pieces that we picked up around the job site when we built our house. I put my money in savings to buy something I really want.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  3:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level It's in the Bag Merit Badge!

“My mom let me look around a decide on three shopping bags of my own. I have three of them hanging in the pantry ready for the next trip to the store.

It was fun learning about re-using and re-cycling. I really liked being able to pick out my own bags. I can use them over and over for lots of different things -- not just shopping.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:02:30 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I went to a retirement home with my pet bunny and some other classmates and their pets. It made the residents so happy.

The residents got to meet each of us and our pet. They touched the animals and asked questions. Then they got to pick the cutest, the fluffiest, the biggest etc. Every pet got a title. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:03:55 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I have visited the food bank with my grandmother twice. She lives two towns over and goes once a month to get food for people in her town who are needy. I helped her deliver the food to the people who needed the food.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“I smelled all of my mom's dried herbs and spices. I liked most of them. The ones my mom called the warm spices were my favorites (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger) I also like the Italian spices like basil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary.

I learned that all these herbs and spices make food taste great. You have to use them in special combinations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“I spend a great deal of time in the garden with my mom. We grow lots of different things. But the best part about the garden is the upper garden.---it is an Herb Garden. My mom lets me pick herbs when ever I want so I can try them.

I have tried all kinds of herbs. We grow four types of basil, dill, thyme, rosemary, several types of onion and shallots, Nasturtiums are fun to eat. Cilantro, Oregano, and parsley. I have been able to help cut and clean and use these in the meals we have cooked for the family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level All Dried Up Merit Badge!

“We have gathered so many herbs this year. Our neighbor who has a dehydrator has helped us dry the herbs and grind them up. We also dried our lavender to use in recipes. We have already used some of the dry herbs in pasta sauce.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:13:16 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Make it Fruity Merit Badge!

“My dad took us Black berry picking at a friends farm. We picked enough black berries for my mom to make us a black berry cobbler. It was really yummy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  4:15:47 PM  Show Profile
Alice Holland (Young Cultivator of Suzanne Holland #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I worked with my mom and sister to decide on a cake recipe and what kind of fruits and nuts I wanted on my cake. We have chickens so I knew I wanted to use a cake recipe that used lots of eggs. I found one that both my sister and I liked.

We made a list and went to the store to purchase the ingredients we did not have on hand.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Young Cultivator Awardees - Awesome!:  Young Cultivator Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page