MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  3:54:27 PM  Show Profile
Savannah Leigh Hoffman (Young Cultivators of Betty Hoffman #5589) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level All Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“When I was going to sew a button, I thought I was going to do it on a machine. But I had to sew it by hand. I got poked just a little bit. I made a little heart pillow with two buttons. I sewed a two and four hole button on the pillow. I used buttons my great grandma and aunt gave me.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  4:39:11 PM  Show Profile
Kaylee Lewis (Young Cultivator of Lori Day #4829) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I first decided what kind of cake I wanted to make and how to decorate it. I made a chocolate cherry Dr. Pepper cake in chocolate icing with cherries, walnuts, chocolate chips and chocolate drizzle.

I poured a box of cake mix with cherry Dr. Pepper. I mixed it together, poured it in the cake, put it in the oven and baked it.

I decorated the cake with chocolate icing, cherries, chocolate chips, walnuts, chocolate drizzle. And then serve it!

It turned out not good...not great...Famous!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  4:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Savannah Leigh Hoffman (Young Cultivators of Betty Hoffman #5589) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Do Your Eyes Light Up? Merit Badge!

“I used the garden hoe for chopping weeds, breaking up the soil to prepare the garden bed to plant herbs and vegetables. Using the garden rake, I cleaned up the debris from the use of the garden hoe. I made the soil smooth. I used the shovel to put the soil from the compost pile in the sifter to put in pots.

I learned about the difference in hoes and rakes and different types of shovels.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  4:40:48 PM  Show Profile
Grace and Lauren Rhoades (Young Cultivators of Suzy Rhoades #6922) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Get Buggy Merit Badge!

“Praying Mantis – They are good because they eat other bugs that harm garden plants

Honey Bees – pollinate flowers and plants and they make honey

Lady Bugs – Eat other bugs in the garden

Spiders (even though they aren’t really insects, they are Arachnids) – Their webs catch Gnats, flies, moths, and other flying insects that could harm the garden and other plants

It was fun looking at bugs and learning about them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  4:43:06 PM  Show Profile
Grace and Lauren Rhoades (Young Cultivators of Suzy Rhoades #6922) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Get Buggy Merit Badge!

“My Grandmom (Sister #6922, disTizmoi) help me find out what kind of beetle I found on the back patio. It was red with black dots and black backside. We thought it might be a Mexican Bean Beetle but they are orange. We also looked at pictures online of poisonous spiders. We saw pictures of Black Widow spiders and Brown Recluse Spider. We looked at many pictures of lady bugs and other spotted beetles.

I never paid attention to bugs before this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  4:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Grace and Lauren Rhoades (Young Cultivators of Suzy Rhoades #6922) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Get Buggy Merit Badge!

“We walked around the yard and I saw spiders (they are Arachnids), a Six-Spotted Tiger Beetle (it was a beautiful shiny green bug), Slug (even though they aren’t insects, they are gastropods), Ants, Praying Mantis (I saw a praying mantis egg and an baby praying mantis), honey bees, hornets, Carpenter Bees, flies, Monarch Butterflies, and many other bugs.

I was glad to see all the bugs but I was really glad I didn't see any ticks or poisonous spiders.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  4:55:25 PM  Show Profile
Grace and Lauren Rhoades (Young Cultivators of Suzy Rhoades #6922) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Do Your Eyes Light Up? Merit Badge!

“I used a hoe, shove, rake, watering tank on a wagon, hose. I weeded with the hoe, dug a hole for sunflowers with the shovel, raked up plants that my sister cut with the rake and watered Grandmom’s garden with the watering tank on a wagon and a hose. I got to use all of the tools I learned about!

I worked out really well. I got to use some really cool tools to help Grandmom in her garden. She was very thankful for my hard work!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2016 :  4:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Alice Burnette (Young Cultivators of Stephanie Burnette #6849) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horsing Around Merit Badge!

“Alice and I toured Athens, Monroe, and Winder GA viewing various horses in these areas. Alice really loves finding horses and reading about them.

We had a good time. I was amazed at how much she has learned about horses from her self-motivated learning.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2016 :  3:04:00 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I read a book about science in a glass of water. I came up with ideas to save water. Don't keep water on when you're not using it. Don't keep water on all night (like forgetting the garden hose). We collect water in buckets for the animals. I learned more about water and not to waste it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2016 :  3:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Let's go to Town Merit Badge!

“I had already gotten my own library card but my mom helped me learn to search for things on the library computer this time we went. I got a schedule of things for home school and Lego building and other stuff.

We will go to the first event next week. It was fun to learn how to search for things I want to read.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2016 :  3:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Big Kid Now Merit Badge!

“I think I want to be a veterinarian but I like horses the most so I found books about training horses.

One book told a story about some cowboys breaking a bronco and a little cowboy who talked to the bronco. The only one who could ride the horse at the end was the little cowboy. Mom says he whispered to the horse.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2016 :  3:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level All Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I found 25 buttons around the house. Mom is going to teach me to sew on a button.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  3:52:55 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Weaving in and Out Merit Badge!

“I made three bracelets out of yarn. I also made a bookmark out of braided yarn. The first one was too loose but I got better on the next braiding.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  3:54:51 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Weaving in and Out Merit Badge!

“I made some more braided bracelets. One is for a friend and one for my mom. Mom liked her bracelet a lot. I haven't given the one to my friend yet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  4:03:48 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“With my mom and brother we visited three older people near our house ... Bill, Clinton and Chris. It was fun to visit them and talk with them. I like Chris's dog. She dresses the dog in funny clothes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  4:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Green Thumbs Kids Merit Badge!

“I tried eating carrots in carrot raisin salad. Mom said she liked it when she was my age. I thought the carrot raisin salad was nasty. I like bananas or apples a lot better. Maybe my taste will change when I am 8.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  4:49:12 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“My family has been listening to Christmas songs. I can pick out the sounds of the piano, guitar and saxophone. I am learning different kinds of music. I like all sorts of music. I like mom's saxophone Christmas CD music.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  4:49:41 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Music Merit Badge!

“My brother and I made harmonicas out of Popsicle sticks, paper and rubber bands. We also made flutes out of plastic pipe. I didn't get to drill the holes but I did put all the pieces together.

Harmonica... By moving mouth, or the rubber bands I can make them sound different. Different size sticks makes them sound different also.

Flute...it sounds cool. I can play it well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2016 :  3:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth and Edith Wurzer (Young Cultivators of Raschelle Wurzer #6708) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner, Intermediate and Expert Level All Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“My daughters Elizabeth and Edith completed all three levels of All Buttoned Up. First they made button boxes from recycled tea boxes and collected buttons from my sewing box and from a grandmother, great grandmother and the local hardware store known for its inventory full of relics from the past few decades.

They made button bracelets for each other as we wanted to keep heirloom buttons in the family.

They practiced sewing on a two hole button on scrap fabric.

The girls are excited over the mere concept of earning badges. They enjoyed handing and playing with the buttons as I did as a girl filtering my fingers through my grandmothers button basket. They eagerly examined them as no two of their buttons was exactly alike. Elizabeth collected 50 and Edith collected 43. Sewing buttons helped them practice stitching for the cross stitch they are doing recently. They look forward to starting another project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  1:15:03 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Thank You! Merit Badge!

“Jessi made a few pages in her journal for saying what she is grateful for. She wrote every day or every couple days.

It makes her happier and notice things that she wasn't being as grateful for before writing down.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  1:17:27 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Thank You! Merit Badge!

“We visited Mesa Verde National Park on vacation. Jessi met a Ranger who went above and beyond helping her with her Centennial Jr Ranger Badge. She wrote him a very nice letter with a photo mom had taken of them talking.

It felt good about saying thank you.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  1:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Thank You! Merit Badge!

“Writing notes and hiding them for my family to find. Also leave little gifts of rocks or fossils found. Shares a lot with family and friends.

Jessi makes us all smile when we find her notes and gifts. It makes her smile when we tell her.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  1:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“Played games and sat around talking with Aunt, Uncles, cousin, brothers, dad, mom for several hours a few different nights over a week visit. It was great learning stories about dad and just having fun with family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  1:42:20 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“Watched how family used water and tried to improve conservation. Got in better habits of turning water off in situations like rinsing dishes or brushing teeth.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  2:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Jessi H (Young Cultivators of Julie Hilton #7134) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Table Talk Merit Badge!

“Jessi has been setting table three times a week for the past month. She is learning to do different things to make the table more inviting. She is proud of her work.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Young Cultivator Awardees - Awesome!:  Young Cultivator Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page