True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  6:26:25 PM  Show Profile
Greetings ladies!

I know I haven't posted on here much as of late. I had a huge relocation from WA to OR and it's not been an easy transition. To make the story short I went from a 3 bedroom home on 3/4 of an acre with a vegetable garden and herb garden and chickens, to a 2 bedroom apartment in the city. I was really struggling to find my place here until I realized that I was focusing so much on what I left behind that I had no vision for what was within my reach. I plan to get back into my knitting and to start up my Farmgirl Gratitude Journal again. I am looking into getting a compost bin for my deck and an aerogarden, any other thoughts? I woiuld really appreciate any!

Thanks ladies!

Warmly, Lara

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  6:40:45 PM  Show Profile
Hello Lara!
I don't think we've ever met, I haven't been a farm girl for very long, but your post caught my eye. I read what you wrote and the phrase "grow where you are planted" popped into my head. :)
You will make your new home, your own home, it will take a little bit of time, but I think you will get lots of encouragement here! :)
Do you sew? How about making your curtains out of hankies, or dish towels, or aprons? Quilt? You could make a small quilt for a wall hanging and/or a throw. You could try something new too, like making soap, growing your own sprouts, painting some outdoor furniture for your deck. Maybe find some little projects to place around your home that don't take long to do.
Just a few thoughts, I hope they help!
Brenda

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  6:43:12 PM  Show Profile
Unsure of the reason you had to relocate but maybe you can focus on the reason why you are where you're at. And find new ways to "Bloom Where You're Planted". Maybe you can help with local charaties and if you have children volunteer at their school if you have time. And try to continue enjoying the things you mentioned in your post.

Judy

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  6:48:01 PM  Show Profile
Lara, I'm fairly new here, but I understand how you must be feeling. Of course I've never had any land but we moved from a three bedroom, huge country kitchen and A really nice size lot. We now live in a duplex with two bedrooms. But we are at the very end of the addition and have more yard than any of the others. But last summer we fixed several flower gardens and I grew herbs and tomatoes on my patio. One of my neighbors grew tomatoes and peppers. We are in a community for 55 and over and all the ladies her are crafty. So we enjoy sharing ideas. When the good weather gets here and your able to get out and meet everyone, you'll make it home. And the gratitude journal is a good idea. Sometimes I have to sit down and write also about everything the Lord has provided for me. You will be in my prayer's that you find yourself at home where you are now. Blessings, Brenda
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  7:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lara:

I don't know how large your apartment deck is, but I just read a really great book for urban gardeners called Fresh Food From Small Spaces - The Square Inch Gardener's Guide to Year Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting. The author is R.J. Ruppenthal. I have the luxury of a large garden, but I read the book so I can help clients who garden in small yards. I found this book to be a great inspiration and plan to try some of the techniques in my own yard this summer. I also agree with the other farm girls' comments above - start doing your favorite crafts or try some new ones - and decorate your home with things you love....it will bring out your farm girl spirit and brighten your days. Making friends in your new community and volunteering are also great ways to get in touch with your new surroundings and start to feel at home. Good luck!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

kentuckywoman
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Majal
Ashland KY
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  3:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lara!

A thought I had when reading your post was that you could look into community garden plots to grow your vegetables in. Most towns and cities have land set aside and divided up so that people can grow fresh produce for themselves for free or very little. It is something I am going to do for the first time come spring. I am saving to buy a few acres but at the moment do not have a backyard to garden. It's a great option!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  8:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lara - I hadn't seen your name in forever. Where are you in Oregon? We lived in Portland for a while and I really liked it - you could look up farmer's markets when the weather turns better and maybe hook up with a farmer if you need some dirt time:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  10:59:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much everyone! I love the ideas :) We actually relocated because my husband was promoted, so all in all this should be a joyous occasion. I really don't feel like this is home and it's hard. One of the reasons is I moved from a home to a community with strict rules on putting any holes in the wall or having a "reasonable" amount of plants (what does this even mean? lol).

Brenda; I knit and I havent since about September so it would be good for me to start again. I also like the idea of making some furniture and starting some herb/veggie pots on the deck. I also make hand lotion bars and was really into perfecting my recipe,...I will look into that again as well.

Marilyn; I will look up the book, thanks so much for the suggestion :)

Amy; Hey! I live in Beaverton. I actually got in touch with the Columbia land trust to volunteer for trail maintenance etc.. it's a start. I can't wait for the Farmer's Markets to open. I have been having a great imte though with ABC seafood and Uwajimaya.

Lara #327

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  11:21:54 AM  Show Profile
I have to say that being a farmgirl is a matter of prespective (and heart) and not the size of a garden plot! I haven't been able to do to much lately because I just started homeschooling 5 children. I felt guilty and reminded myself of what I could still do. Hang in there. You will find your grove.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  7:20:49 PM  Show Profile
Hmm - a reasonable amount of plants?? How peculiar, I would say as many as you can fit into a given space but that is probably not what they had in mind:)

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  09:56:45 AM  Show Profile
LOL, AMy!Yes I had that same thought....Michelle, I also homeschool two little ones so I know the feeling! :)

Lara #327

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  2:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Lara, I can totally sympathize with your plight. Although I was not fortunate to have the chickens, I too just recently (November) left behind my 3 bedroom house with full basement sitting on a 1/3 acre yard; veggie garden and herb garden; in a nice quiet suburb and moved to a 2 bedroom 750 square foot apartment right off of an interstate. All because of a job offer for my husband. Sounds like we made the same move. Although I am thrilled for the opportunity this provides for my husband I have been mourning the loss of my gardens and the quiet neighborhood.

I decided that it didn't do any good to fight against this move so I've been busying myself with making my little "bungalow" into a warm and inviting home. I too have taken back up my crochet hook and having fun finding all the thrift stores. Since I'm so close to an interstate with lots of truck traffic I don't think I'll be growing anything on our deck but I did like the idea someone had about growing sprouts. Think I'll try that. The company where I work has lots of land so I'm working on them letting me put in an employee garden.

I know a new location takes some getting used to so I'm trying to focusing on the adventure rather than what I've left behind. The beauty of this forum is that you can find lots of ladies with like minded ideas or someone who is also going through your plight. Rest assured you are not alone and come back often for your farmgirl fix. Apartments are not permanent so enjoy the journey to find your slice of farmgirl pie. This will just give you time to find the perfect place for you (and hopefully me).

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  5:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Audrey, you have such a positive attitude I really appreciate your insight. Good luck to you as well :)

Lara #327

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  3:05:09 PM  Show Profile
hi i used to live in an apartment and kind of miss it
i had a nice patio and did container garden it was fun and portable i put them on those saucers with wheels and could turn them or move them around
but the best thing was if anything went wrong like the plumbing etc
i'd just call the landlord and it would get fixed
now if something breaks its on me and the list is never ending .lol
so there is always abright side to all things really. hang in there.

inch by inch
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  11:38:26 AM  Show Profile
Some cities have community gardens with plots for individuals. I used to live in Portland, now VA.

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic I need some perspective- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page