Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What are you working on today??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What are you working on today?? Next Topic
Page: of 264

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  11:59:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone.

Not sure why I chose to learn how to make tatting, do tatting, or simply tat. But finally got the gist of it. I decided to make a clothpin holder from a hand towel. I decided to Nancify it with trim, hence needed to learn how to make a tatting trim.

The top one is the one I completed today. I started it Christmas weekend. After completing it even though I am just learning I wasn't satisfied. Started the bottom one this evening and made the rings a bit bigger. The towel is dark teal and the thread is aqua according to the label.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Jan 05 2017 7:13:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  02:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, love the tatting, what are you going to put it on?
I have the next 3 days off so I hope to accomplish some projects. Things have been cropping up on me. I made a list, hubby and I also have some running to do. It's going to be a busy weekend!

Farm Girl Sister #6566

The road of life is made smoother when traveled with someone you love.
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  08:14:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Judy
I going to use it as embelishment on a clothspin holder. I am taking a hand towel sewing up the sides and attaching it to a hanger. It does sound like a busy weekend at your home. I having three days off too. I don't have any errands but I do have a pile of mending and housecleaning. Suppose to rain this weekend so guess it is a good weekend. To tend to these things

TW

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  08:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
I wish I knew how to tat. Where I live is quilt country. They have quilting clubs and it seems as if everyone I have met is into quilting. Have not met anyone so far that is in to other crafts. I guess I need to start a farmgirl club here and introduce them to the other crafts. It is something that I plan to look into next month/year.

Nancy is it hard to learn how to tat?

Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Farm Girl of the Month December 2016
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  11:58:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Becky. ( we call a coworker with your name Beckles)
Since I never picked up a shuttle or tatting needle in my life until a week ago I would say I think it is. I tried shuttle tatting like my Aunt Mary used to do but got a little frustrated. Decided to try needle tatting like in Mary Jane's stitching book. A spool of thread and a needle set aren't expensive. Patience with yourself is the most difficult. There are a ton of videos on YouTube to help. If you do make a mistake that you can't undo with the needle (and this is the patience part I was talking about) you can cut off the mistake and add a new thread which is easier than I thought. I am no expert but the stitching book and YouTube are wonderful. I used heavier thread and a large needle which is what is recommended for beginners. My eyesight isn't the greatest close up so I will probably never make any fine lace things like my Auntie. Good luck Rebecca if you decide to try it. Wish I had a quilting club nearby. Gals around here are not so much into folk or home crafts. If there are groups they meet during the week during the day. I am still a working gal and I don't have a craft room. Which is going to be interesting because I signed up for the music fabric square swap plan on making me a quilt....somehow. Happy New Year!

TW

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Dec 31 2016 11:59:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  12:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Nancy! I was impressed with your first attempt at tatting. Your second length is even prettier. Maybe I can do this afteright all. We'llbbboston@wbhsi.net both be doing the 10" music square exchange. I must complete my heart quilt from last February before starting anything else.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  12:08:52 PM  Show Profile
(didn't mean to post twice)

Edited by - forgetmenot on Dec 31 2016 3:57:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  2:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Nancy. I will look into MJF book and look up the youtube videos and try my hand at it. We just bought our house and there is one room that I get to have all to myself and it is being put together as a craft room. I just started moving my things into it since the construction crew finished with the remodeling. I don't know how to quilt and am thinking about joining the club around here in the spring. My husband for my birthday bought me a quilting frame and I still have it in its box. It will be a journey to say the least. I love the look at tatting, but have never tried it. Of course there are other crafts like embroidery that I never master either that I would like to. Should be a fun year with all the new things and finally the space to work on them.
I don't work yet, but I am a grad student for the next couple of years. Probably next year I will be working, but it will only be for about 10 years before I can retire. My husband retired last year and I wish that I could stay home like him, but I still have a few years left to work before then. Oh well.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Farm Girl of the Month December 2016
Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2017 :  5:16:06 PM  Show Profile
I got my granddaughter's backpack fixed. Grommets had to be replaced. And then I made a bottle holder for our daughter in IL. She's going in for some knee surgery and will be on crutches for a while. She asked me if I could make her something. Here's what I came up with:

Stuck a piece of paper in the pocket so she could see what I did. :)

Now I'm working on a couple of towels for some new neighbors that moved in across the street.

Farm Girl Sister #6566

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2017 :  10:16:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Judy
THAT IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA!
I have a couple sets of crutches that currently I am not using but I am a tumbleweed. Hopefully I will stay safe this year. Love the colors and how functional it is. I pray for a speedy recovery for your daughter.

TW

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2017 :  10:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Good idea for someone with crutches.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  02:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nancy and Linda, Kerri found one on Amazon called Crucheze Black Crutch Bag. They sell for $24.99 to 29.95. I like mine better! :)

Farm Girl Sister #6566

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  06:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Nancy -- I love the tatting! One of my great-aunts taught me some basics about a thousand years ago, but I was never able to close my loops and she lived too far away to help much. Another reason to live forever -- gotta learn to tat!

Right now I am working on learning a new heel technique for knitting sox. I knit them all the time -- the only thing that makes flying bearable for me -- and I got a lovely Christmas gift of two balls of sock yarn and a book of patterns. The concept is you pick a type of cuff, then you pick a pattern stitch for the leg, then you pick a type of heel. You knit two sox from different yarn and with different patterns and just call them a pair. Exactly what I needed to perk up my winter doldrums. I usually knit a flap heel, but for this special sock I chose the afterthought heel. I got the body of the sock done last night and am ready to start the heel now. Wish me luck!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  04:28:34 AM  Show Profile
Judy,
The crutch bag is great! I like that its so colorful and cheery better than plain black.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  08:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Today, as has been the last week, will not be a sewing or other fabric crafts day. We need to try to get two yearling bulls into the trailer and take them to the vet to become steers. Or maybe not. It's hard to get my boyfriend off his sidetrack trips. LOL! Wish me luck, too.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  10:07:45 AM  Show Profile
Love that crutch bag,Judy!
And, love the structured tote, Denise!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  7:25:50 PM  Show Profile

I finished my clothspin holder. I took a hand towel folded it leaving enough space at the top for a casing then sewed up the sides, sewed up the casing. I then cut a piece of dowel to fit, nailed a couple of small screws near the ends to hold the hanger in place. Now I have a handy and decorative place for my clothes pins

TW

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  7:40:59 PM  Show Profile
Very cute clothes pin holder!

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  7:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Great clothespin bag, Nancy. I love clothespin bags. I have about 6 of them. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  7:56:32 PM  Show Profile
There are so many lovely projects on this thread. Consider joining the "Complete Those UFOs in 2017" thread. We offer encouragement, motivation and understanding for all things UFO.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  9:14:04 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, your clothespin bag looks great and your tatting shows up really well against that blue!

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1412 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1412 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  06:28:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I am working on my crochet a scarf a d caughtibg up rows on my temperature blanket. Making Birthday cards.

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  08:37:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Ladies for the compliments.

RuthieAnn.... Do you make your birthday cards on the computer with a graphics program or assembled like in scrapbooking. Either one is impressive. Getting a handmade custom card is really special for the receiver.

TW

Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  6:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,
I worked on one of six place mats today. I purchased a beautiful fabric several years ago called 'Red Bird in the Bower' by Moda. Since then i have made a lap quilt, runner for our tv table and a runner for our dining room table. With the scraps i thought i would make place mats to match. I've never made anything this small before and was surprised how much easier it is to see my mistakes! Thankfully, the place mats are very 'patchworky' and no one but me will probably ever know. Note to self: be very careful with next small project!

So happy to be inside and quilting again. This is one of my favorite winter activities :-)

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  10:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dena,
I never quilted before but can sew a little. I signed up on the music squares swap. Will have to dust off my machine and give it a try. I think we are our own worst critics because we don't have to see the mistakes we know they are there. The fabric name you gave sounds lovely. I am sure your work would look flawless to me.

TW

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 264 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What are you working on today?? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page