karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  10:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Just so I can get to know you all! What kinds of businesses do you all have? Do you make things? Do you sell things? Do you grow things for Farmer's markets? Let me hear from you what your entrepeneurial hearts have been up to!

I am still searching-I knit baby items, I sell eggs, I make quilts, I make jewlery, I sew, I crochet, etc etc etc but I haven't settled on just one thing!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  10:29:55 AM  Show Profile
Lately, I have considered starting a native plant nursery, but I need more room to do that and away from my landlady's goats who are all escape artists and have laid waste to my garden too many times now.

But in a few years when we will be able to afford our own land, that is something that I'm seriously considering.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  11:48:51 AM  Show Profile
I also make soap,lotions,chap sticks etc. I guess I have toooooo much going!

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I do paperwork at home for a local business. But I would love to do a crafty thing. I do crochet, cross stitch, and quilting.

Maybe some year.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

CynthiaT.
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Cynthia
Alpena Arkansas
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  12:45:41 PM  Show Profile
I currently have an embroidery business. I am also trying to figure out what I can use our 160 acres to make a living farming. I will eventually incorporate my embroidery business with the farm business. My ultimate goal is to have a retail store in town (I already own the building because of my embroidery business.)

I think we have decided to raise pigs (for meat) and chicks (for meat and eggs). So now I am doing research on how to raise each as organically as possible.

Farmgirl sister # 852
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  1:16:17 PM  Show Profile
We own a gas station/convenience store, well dh really. I'm just support staff with that one, but it causes him to be unavailable for a large chunks of time. I sew and sell online (hyena cart for 3 yrs, just started at etsy), it is fun, but doesn't really fund my addictions Dh & I purchased a decommissioned school http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36340 , and are working to get that zoned and turned into something that can build the local community and economy. We also vend our gas station stuff & my sewing at music festivals in our area, I think we have 8 weekends planned this season.

Farmgirl sister #779

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  2:14:15 PM  Show Profile
My sister and I make hand knit and quilted and hand sewn items for sale on the following sites
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  06:23:39 AM  Show Profile
I have been making jewelry for over 40 years. I sell it at shows and galleries. I sell my crocheted neckwarmers and purses as well. Jewelry is my focus and what I do best.
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  07:20:23 AM  Show Profile
We raise beef cattle and I work part-time for the post office. I was a police officer until I developed arthritis in my back and had to change jobs.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  07:27:36 AM  Show Profile
I own and operate a 3 acre hobby farm and market. I have a 10x10' shed converted into a store. I grow specifically heirloom vegeatble & fruits. I raise heritage chickens for meat and eggs. I do farmers mkts every sat thru the summer. In the winter I custom bake - no wedding cakes! My cakes are a little odd... I like to do food art with cupcakes. Like make them into turkey legs and mashed potatoes and stuff.

I am a junk connisseur...I buy and re-sell junk-tiques. I'm also a Watkins distributor and a Baker Creek Seed retail center.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!~
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  08:14:28 AM  Show Profile
I run an online folk/traditional music store where there's Mel Bay books,(how to play as well as songbooks) small instruments like tin whistles and ukuleles,in addition to the accessories I make,like hand woven tin whistle cases in 2 sizes,a strap accessory for mandolins & banjos,fiddle cloths for getting the excess rosin off after playing,and if that wasn't enough I knit arm warmers,fingerless gloves,and legwarmers to keep musicians warm while doing outdoor gigs. I'm also looking at making gig bags for ukuleles.

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  09:16:05 AM  Show Profile
cool stuff everyone-who would have guessed at all the talent we farm girls have!

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  09:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Karla,
You can go to my "cjacreations" blogspot and see part of what I do. I also make some jewelry, however it's not real intricate.
I'm famous in this neck of the woods for my papercrafted cards. Those are not featured on the blogspot . . . at least not yet, but I do make a lot and sell a lot. Also do journals, baby books, and such.
My hubby is also a crafter . . . woodturner and knifemaker.
We sell our crafted products at our local Farmers Market as one of the craft vendors.

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  3:25:15 PM  Show Profile
I am a Seamstress and Designer. Have been doing contract sewing for years and as of this year I am moving into selling my product lines instead of continuing with contract work. Right now I am focusing on Home Decor and Gifts. My hope is to some day have a small shop of my own for folks to visit and shop. Until then, I sell online, through Country Sampler Magazine, consignment boutiques and some wholesale too.

This is a great question, I am learning what all of you do in your daily life as well!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

www.GiftsandHomeDecorUS.com
www.RusticMountainPrimitives.com
www.Eastwooddesignsinnh.com

Edited by - JojoNH on Aug 30 2017 04:34:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  7:47:50 PM  Show Profile
I am an insurance agent, have been for 30 years....but I studied photography, jewelry making, stained glass,and am learning to garden, hope to pursue these things when we retire.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  05:25:41 AM  Show Profile
Along with my husband, who helps part time, because he has a full time office job, I raise salad greens and bake Stone Baked Sourdough Breads, which I sell at the Farmers Market. We even attended the winter market this year. Mostly with our breads, sometimes with some greens. We have high tunnels to grow our greens in and recently, I became an inspected kitchen and am renting a commercial bakery, where I can bake for more than just the market. Our little business has grown the last three years. And we enjoy going to market together. We even get the grandchildren involved in the summer time.
Sheri

1 Cor 3:6...God made the seed to grow....

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  05:38:44 AM  Show Profile
I sell vintage clothes on Etsy. And I help my husband with his hay farming and new backhoe service.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

tweedlebee
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Samantha
Spokane Valley wa
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  10:25:16 AM  Show Profile
I have an online sewing business and sell childrens clothing and cloth diapers.

Farmgirl Sitster #1327

www.tweedlebeeandtweedlebum.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  09:40:18 AM  Show Profile
I do child care in my home, and sell a few things I make on my etsy too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

basketmaker
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jean
Hill NH
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  08:56:16 AM  Show Profile
I own and operate a basket shop. My specialty is chair seating (caning, Shaker tape, Hickory bark, splint, etc.) Classes are happening all the time at my shop whether it be my own classes or visiting artists from around the world, sharing their skill and knowledge. I travel as much as I can to teach at basket conventions or people's homes when they will sponsor me for a class. I love baskets and weaving!

At my shop you can find a wide variety of rustic furniture made locally, ready to have a seat woven on it. There are baskets for sale, some gourd art, primitive jewelry and supplies but mostly you'll see folks gathered together to weave, teach or just stopping by to visit.

Jean from NH
Basketmaker
www.MurrayHillWeaving.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  1:38:26 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 Etsy shops and now at the point where I am paying off some bills. Love the Etsy company!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com
http://sweetsassysadielee.blogspot.com
http://beehivecottage.etsy.com
http://sassysadielee.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  09:42:19 AM  Show Profile
It is fun to go on everyones sites to see what you do!! It is amazing how much variety in thevarious businesses. You are all very creative!! WOW!
What new things are you working on for this year?

Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  4:48:17 PM  Show Profile
I have A NEST IN NATURE, a nature-based learning for young children ages 3-6..and I am just starting my Harmony Woods Earth School for homelearners ages 7-11...and I give workshops to all age kids in nature, horses and art :)

(And my daughter (almost 12) has an organic egg and dog biscuit business and my son (age 13) sells used books.)

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  06:39:08 AM  Show Profile
I had a group of preschoolers come to the farm last year and most of them had never seen the animals or knew where their food came from. It was kind of an eye opener!

Go to Top of Page

podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  6:48:10 PM  Show Profile
The biggest thing I do is raise perennial plants which are sold wholesale to local garden centers, retail at my roadside stand and at farmers markets. I also grow cut flowers, herbs and vegetables for my stand and farm markets. Each year I sell more and more veggies which is great because I love it. To get through the winter I make driedflower wreaths from flowers we grow and harvest on our farm and sell them on ebay and etsy. Oh, I also have eggs to sell. My husband works as a garden center manager andhelps out when he can. It's fun and keeps me busy! -Cindy

Check out "Support a farm girl night" http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38448

www.podsandpetals.etsy.com
ebay seller podsandpetals
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  8:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karla,

I make reversible cobbler aprons, vintage aprons, oven door towels, neck coolers, which I sell on my website.
www.countrynmore.com

I also sell high quality fabrics on my website.
http://fabrics.countrynmore.com/

I sell some fabrics, and vintage crochet books on Etsy.
www.countrynmore2.etsy.com

www.countrynmore.blogspot.com

Edited by - countrynmore on Feb 03 2011 6:36:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic What is everyone's business? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page