Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Bible Study #1- Women of the Bible
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #1- Women of the Bible Next Topic
Page: of 17

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Shirley Jean. I read about her not only in our assigned verses, but about her leprosy in Numbers. I find it interesting that even though she was the sister of both Aaron and Moses, this verse calls her the sister of Aaron, as though she was a half-sister (no proof of that)or that she was in a lower distinction than Moses...that with Aaron. She instigated some rebellion which resulted in her leprosy. I also find it interesting that Aaron asked Moses to pray to God for her healing...as though Aaron could or would not??

This picture of Miriam was a lesson for me. Regardless of our station in life, our tongue can be used to praise and sing, and also to sin and cause problems in others lives. James deals with this well. (James 3: 5-12)

Looking forward to see what others have to say.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  12:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I love to worship in song and often am most moved by the Spirit through music. And God created a lot of us that way.
I find it interesting that Miriam was praising God, singing and dancing over the destruction of her enemies/pursuers. Not sure how that would go over in today's politically-correct society. But it was acceptable to God. I think it also shows us that even then, our forefathers/mothers in the faith felt the same human emotions that we do now.

On a special note to our sister, Julia,you may find the books by Lee Strobel fascinating.
"The Case for Christ" in particular. Lee really gets into the historicity of the Bible and how it compares to many other contemporary writings from that time. While I believe that the Bible can stand on it's own, there are literally thousands of references to the happenings of the Bible in other historical works. Just thought maybe your curiosity would be piqued.
No offense intended. I just love his books and encourage everyone to read them.

blessings,
staci
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  5:28:55 PM  Show Profile
Staci, you bring up a good point that there is more than one way to praise God. I think sometimes the old-fashioned Christians just recite prayer after prayer, but sometimes singing can be the best way to praise God!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

prudy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Prudence
Springfield OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  6:17:42 PM  Show Profile
This is very interesting, I am going to look up Deborah. I just finished reading the book of Ruth with my three daughters. They drank it all in!

Prudence
www.avintagemom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  6:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Claudia - I feel Aaron asked Moses to pray for her, as we would all ask our siblings to pray for one another. And the fact that Moses had such a special relationship with God (duh!), his prayers must have been very sought after. From what I have read, they all had the same parents.....their parents were Jochebed and Amram.

The scripture is helpful to us to encourage all Godly women to be strong in their faith and not let leadership roles go to their heads, but it is so interesting to research the lineage. She may have been called Aaron's sister in this verse, too, becuase she and Moses disagreed about his second wife, and neither Miriam nor Aaron approved of her.

Prudy - I love the way you put it - your daughters drank it all in. The Word is indeed a remedy to our thirst.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 13 2010 05:05:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  7:00:52 PM  Show Profile
It just thrills my heart Prudy that you and girls are sharing in the word and they so enjoy it. Good teacher you are.

Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  7:29:22 PM  Show Profile
I am learning alot just by reading all your posts here. Thanks so much for all the new insight. I also love to worship through music. I have had some very close times with God during music. And also through dance. It just makes a person forget anything else around them and focus on what really matters and why we are doing this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  7:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I think it is in the little ways that we praise God like Music, dance, studying, going out in nature, etc.
hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  8:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Kris:
I, too, worship through music. I can sit at the piano for hours playing hymns, etc... I'm trying to memorize the 7 stanza's of "Amazing Grace" to sing while I do my walk.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  04:25:49 AM  Show Profile
I hum or sing hymns all the time, it is what I use often when I was/am rocking babies.

I appreciate all the info shared here!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:12:20 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I love the comments! I feel closest to the Lord thru music, worship and praise! I have loved the times in church when the praise and worship time was so amazing, full of the Lord, that rather than the pastor speak, praise and worship was what we did! It would be an amazing time of singing! The worship leaders would just go with the flow, and I could imagine this is what it will be like someday, only SOOO much better even! Just being with the Lord in person someday and everyone singing Him songs of praise. Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  7:37:28 PM  Show Profile
This particular story of Moses is one that I find incredibly sad. I feel like weeping as a spectator watching the horrific events of this day. People drowning while others are singing and dancing in celebration of their deaths. Oh yes, I understand, that those who drowned were 'the enemy' and those who celebrated were the rewarded righteous. I understand that this is the view of God in the Hebrew text. God is wrathful and punishing to those who do not believe. Those who do not follow the Law and the commandments are sure to be punished. I know we are supposed to be dazzled by the miracle of Moses and his Divinity. His ability to part the Red Sea upon God's word to do so. He was such a good servant to do God's will. We are distracted to look at these oppressed understated women and feel a sense of relief that they could sing and dance their praises. They seem more real to us. This is what the people were taught to believe. For centuries this is what they believed.

This is why Jesus was so radical. As a devout Jew who was supposed to follow the Law of Moses, the Torah, he broke the rules and challenged the authority. He challenged these oral stories of old with classic lessons that we all recite, "Love your enemy. Judge not. Treat others as you would like to be treated." He was murdered for his view and centuries later a movement called Christianity was world-wide celebrating not wrath and punishment but love and forgiveness.

I read this story and feel a deep sense of shame. I have no desire to rejoice or sing God's praises...at least the way God is depicted in this ancient prose.

The lesson for me here is to question "Who is the enemy?" It is my belief that Jesus was trying to teach us that because we are all connected in love/in God we are each each others' friend and foe.
~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  7:51:43 PM  Show Profile
I like your insight Julia. Sometimes we do have to wonder who the true enemy is. Sometimes we might con ourselves into thinking someone is the enemy, but really they're not. Thanks for the new perspective!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  7:52:07 PM  Show Profile
Julia, the whole Bible is full of God's wrath. But more than that it is filled with His love and compassion. He wants no one to perish or be punished. He loves us all more than we could ever imagine. I read the Bible and am upset at all the death and destruction and mayhem and Sodom and Gamorah and all the things that are going on today and wonder why God has such mercy on us. I wonder why we are all still here. I don't understand a lot of the Bible. I wonder how it was passed down all these years and still right. I don't know. How do we know. I just know what I believe in MY heart. And I know that God has seen me through some very bad times. If not for the grace of God, I would not be here. I hope this makes sense. I just know that I know that I know. And I am so very thankful that God loves me and I am His child. I can't imagine any other way for me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  8:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Amen to that Kris. I can't imagine living any other way either. Been there, done that - so to speak. And in light of the Miriam story, I don't want to go back to "Egypt". The old me was in bondage to sin (Egypt). The new me is still tempted by things and when things get rough, the old ways just seem to be easier, life at times seemed easier then. I know who my enemy is: The "father of lies" who tries to deceive me into going back. But according to Scripture, when we accept Christ as Savior, we become citizens of Heaven who are living out our lives here on earth.(Phil 3:20) Some days that is so hard to remember, but I know it is and will be worth it.

just runnin the race - Acts 20:24
- staci

Edited by - staci860 on May 13 2010 8:58:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  9:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Trust and Believe! We read the word and we try our best to live the word. As long as we trust the Lord and believe he is walking with us at all times, He knows that we will experience the devil coming at us. But all I can say is trust and believe and hand it over to God. I know that I've repeated myself here, but that is what I must go with for myself.

Hugs,Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  03:22:11 AM  Show Profile
I see the wrath in the Old Testament and in the New we come to understand God's mercy and love. Because of Christ's death we have a chance of being in heaven. Imagine the amount of love there, allowing your only son to be put to death so that we are forgiven our sins. Every time I think about it it just takes the breath right out of me and knocks me to my knees.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile
Christ, in the incredible gift of His life, let humans know that God is love as well as discipline, just like a good parent. His life bought us grace and forgiveness,if we believe. God's love, like any parent's, cannot be warm and fuzzy all the time. As parents, we need to thoughtfully and kindly be taken seriously. We all are accountable for our behavior. Bewteen the Old and the New Testament, we see that balance. Life was cruel then. It is cruel now. But God is there through it all. In dark times, look for the greater purpose and pray for grace and forgiveness.

Side note: For seekers, with lots of questions about why God is who He is, I personally think it helps to begin with the Good News, the Gospel, and then work deeper and backward into the Old Testament. God's gift to us, His son, was done to provide those who felt lost a gift of help and love. The Old Testament lends credence to the New. The New fulfills the Old. But begin where you are comfortable, and the Lord will lead you from there.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 14 2010 11:56:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  4:59:23 PM  Show Profile
I agree that the gospels are a very good place to start when on a spiritual journey.

I would dance for joy when the enemy is defeated. Satan had many people know and then that did his work, constantly trying to take one away from our only true salvation and our only true hope.

I don't believe Jesus is a radical. I don't believe he broke laws, Christ is perfect and doesn't make mistakes. That is my belief. Things that happened did so according to his will, sometime it is hard for us to understand. With time he shows us why, but in his time only. I believe with all my heart that the Bible is God's word, written by those he chose to do so.
Just my thoughts.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  5:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Rae, just to be clear regarding my comments about Jesus being a radical and breaking the laws...this isn't my view of him. This was the political and religious environment of his time according to those entrusted to enforce the laws of Moses...ie head-honcho rabbis of the Temple. His perspective was very unusual for his time, as strange as that may seem to us now. He challenged ancient ideas of 'purity', 'sabbath', 'status of women', 'the lepers (or untouchables)', 'the sick and maimed in general,' just to name a few. It is hard to believe that people shunned older people or the sick and diseased with great vehemence. Jesus challenged that and it was radical to those who believed otherwise. This is why he caused such a ruckus for some and why others followed him with great reverence and awe.

I certainly didn't mean to imply anything negative about him from my perspective. Please understand that although I am not Christian, this in no way means that I have any disregard for Jesus and what he taught. How can anyone find fault with teaching love? No, Jesus was an extraordinary soul who I am certain finds me a great fool!

I will say, in addition, that it is important that when you read my posts you must know the following things;

It is easy to read someone's words and hear the voice of cynicism and sarcasm. Especially those of "non-believers." (Does me saying I'm not a Christian automatically suggest I'm a non-believer? This would be a limited assumption) PLEASE know that I have nothing but the utmost respect and reverence for Christianity and the sacred text within the Bible. Read my words and please hear my gentility. It is how I'm speaking to you now.

I do not believe the Bible is the recited 'Word of God." I believe it was written by men who believed themselves divinely inspired. They were still men..

I believe the Bible was written from an oral tradition which lends itself to a great many flaws with the passage of time and interpretation by language to name only a few influences, but I believe the essence of many stories and lessons have been captured in full to guide us, heal us and teach us. It is a sacred text of insurmountable importance but there are many sacred texts of insurmountable importance to know as well. This is a hard thing to examine when you believe that the Bible is the only sacred text worth anything as many people do. I do not.

I am not searching for God. You can not seek what isn't lost.

I am not beginning my spiritual journey.

I do not believe in Satan.

I am enjoying these posts and these readings a great deal. What a fine collection of women offering their perspective. I am deeply humbled to contribute to this discussion. I know it must take great patience to read my posts!

Blessings upon you all!! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  6:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Not at all Julia, I don't think anyone is feeling impatience. I do believe that most of us understand where you are in you journey. We have all had our ups and downs, and know how hard it is to stay on the straight and narrow. But God knows that and he also knows we will be back. Because we Believe, trust and obey. I do believe that you are searching and will find what you are comfortable with. I for one enjoy the fact that you come here to share with us. And I'm also praying for peace of mind for you. Your a wonderful lady, mother and friend.
Hugs, Brenda

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  6:50:07 PM  Show Profile
Julia you are welcome to post and I hope you continue. It is good we can share what we believe, that is what it is about.

I do believe though the Bible is God inspired/breathed and his holy word. That I will never doubt or believe there are flaws in God's word. My belief. I do believe there is Satan as unfortunately I have seen his work.

I am glad you have joined us though so don't ever doubt that

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  05:39:27 AM  Show Profile
Julia - I love your posts too. You are such a good writer and expresser of your thoughts and feelings, and just as you are with your thoughts about Aria, your daughter, you are so open and honest here. It is always tricky to discuss beliefs. But if we stick to our study of Women of the Bible, we will see how varied and different they all were too! God shows us endless different personalilties in the Word, and in the women (and men) of the bible.

Are we to be reading about the next scripture yet?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  1:35:43 PM  Show Profile
I'll say that I'm enjoying this study and look forward to more discussion about the great women of the Bible. I also get inspired when I visit here to get my bible out and get in the word! I know what I believe, but it never hurts to go back and review and know why I believe. As we discuss together, we grow more in our faith because "Iron sharpens iron." Prov 27:17

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on May 15 2010 1:37:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  1:53:53 PM  Show Profile
Great post, Staci. And being in the fire refines gold...... :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #1- Women of the Bible Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page