Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Bible Study #1- Women of the Bible
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #1- Women of the Bible Next Topic
Page: of 17

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  7:09:31 PM  Show Profile
I agree that seeing a child born is one of the basic and wondrous (all in one) miracles we can witness. My daughter let me see her three born. That experience brings it all down to the essence. Life and death, faith and joy, fear and prayer. God is good!

I post this from the viewpoint that my own child was a miracle baby. Placenta previa, not known until the last few days, and that brought so many complications I will not tell you, but today she is 30, strong with three children, and it is only because of the grace of God. Praise the Lord.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Apr 26 2010 7:13:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  7:36:40 PM  Show Profile
I would have to agree that childbirth is one of the greatest miracles. When our youngest GD, Macee was born, she's now 10, when she was 2 weeks old DD called me and said Macee wasn't acting right. I ran over to her house and called 911 and by the time they got there she was responding to us again. They said she was ok and would take her to the hospital if we felt she needed to go. I told them to go and loaded DD and GD up and took them myself. When they saw her at the hospital they immediately took her to Childrens Mercy Hospital. She had a very rare condition and was there for almost a month, and it was just touch and go for the entire time. Then she just took a quick turn for improvement. There was family and friends there at all times and the prayers were coming continually. The Lord gave us our baby back. And we have been forever grateful. Macee knows her story and she loves the Lord and tells how he saved her. So yes, the birth of a child is a true blessing.
HUGS~~~~~Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  03:22:31 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie I had the same thing on my first but they were not aware until I was in labor! Thank the good Lord is was my first so I didn't panic as didn't really know what was going on until after. My oldest will be 34 next month!

What a wonderful thing it must have been though for Sarah and Abraham to be told by God they would be blessed with a son. That feeling of being so close to God. I know I have had a couple of those intense God moments where I know he is talking just to me and it is hard to describe the feeling

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  5:58:58 PM  Show Profile
God truly does make miracles happen. My aunt can't have babies anymore, but my three younger cousins, annoying as they can be sometimes, are such blessings. I don't even know what my life would be without them. I think God knows when things need to happen. I know sometimes we may be disappointed with how things turn out, but we have to look at things Sarah and Abraham having a son and see that in due time, good things will happen to us.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  7:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Rae - three weeks after my daughter was born placenta privia, I had to have an emergency hysterectomy. I truly believe that God only meant us to have one child. We tried to adopt but it never happened. God works in our lives, even when we are not striving to work in His, and I feel so blessed that He made our family so wonderful.

The scriptures tell us that. Let God work in our families and our lives and things will happen that are not to be expected, but will be used to glorify Him!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  03:24:09 AM  Show Profile
I believe in my heart that God does have a plan for each of us regarding our families. In my head sometimes it is harder to understand when bad parents can and good can't.

I think this lesson really reflects on God doing things in his time when he knows it is the best as well. Sarah and Abraham were old and yet God knew it was the time for them to have a son. Patience and trust in God.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  7:04:42 PM  Show Profile
yes,I agree Rae. Love to you. I am happy however, that God will not bring a baby into my life when I am very old.....I strive to help with my grands, and am very tired after a day with three!!!!:)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  1:24:04 PM  Show Profile
Greetings everyone! Resident non-christian chiming in...

Forgive me for asking but I need some clarification before responding to any of this let alone the Genesis stories. It is the general consensus here that these excerpts are literal facts? I know. This is why I prefaced with forgive me. I can hear your moans and groans!

I just need to know. My sense is that most believe these events to have actually happened...As in these are real life stories of ancient people.

In terms of miracles. I find this particular topic timely because I have been giving it a lot of thought lately. Many view miracles as 'things' 'event's larger than life itself. Heck, it is even defined this way by most dictionary standards. I have come to think of it a little differently however. I can only describe it this way. Every day I awake to my Aria alive and well with the journey of cancer slowly slowly slowly moving behind as we move ahead. Often I stand still in the moment of that and feel a tremendous sense that I am standing surrounded in miracle.

~julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  2:16:41 PM  Show Profile
Julia I do believe because I have witnessed his miracles. Just as we saw with Aria's journey. I do believe in the word of God in the Bible. I believe that study's of the books and living the life he wants for me is where I have become whole. I can't get started with my day and throughout my day without connecting to God. Sweetheart the journey if full of ups and downs and there's a difference between knowing about and believing in God and actually knowing him. It took me 50 years to be able to say I know him. All along I thought I did, but there was a certain moment and time that I knew it to be true. But please don't get me wrong, I still struggle. Sometimes more now than when I was in question of it all. Because the devil will target on the ones that feel one with God. That is his desire to pull you back to questioning again. And I'm not saying, coming here with all the questions is wrong, this is how we learn. Julia, you and your dear family will be in my prayer's that you will come to a confortable place that you can get to know him!
Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, is it too late to join in? I meant to earlier then I could not find this thread again?! I will try and catch up on the reading tonite.Love what each of you has to say!Brenda, I love what you said! Julia, for me personally, I do take it literal. And MANY of the bible 'stories' have been proven thru archiology (spelling?) and historical facts. There are some great books on that! I think this will be a wonderful time of study and learning from one another! Sharing our thoughts and perhaps at times differences! We can all learn and grow! Have a good nite, ladies! Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  4:16:04 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, you know the taste of eating a perfectly ripe sun warmed strawberry right off the patch? That sweet juicy taste that you can smell? Reading your words and especially "sweetheart" was just like for me! Thank you!

Please understand that I have an insatiable curiosity about Christianity that equals my curiosity about Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Wicca, and and and....As a contemplative, it is my privilege to study world religions and spiritualities. I find no greater joy than understanding and learning peoples' perspective of God, the Divine, the Infinite, the Unknowable. I liken it to putting a simple chair in the middle of the room and asking everyone to describe it. No 2 people will see it the same. I see this as an enormous gift. What beauty to have each of us bestowed a set of eyes to see a world unique.

I do not come to religion or spirituality searching for God and answers. I do not believe we must search for what isn't lost nor do I believe we can find answers for questions that don't stir the unknowable.

I come to this topic to learn about you (meaning all of you farmgirl sisters and friends) and your perspectives of God and the sacred texts within the Bible. If I am ever disrespectful, PLEASE let me know. It is never my intent. I know I tread upon sacred ground.

~julia hayes

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  5:56:58 PM  Show Profile
Julia I am glad you have joined us and who knows where the journey will bring you

I believe faith and religion are 2 different things. To me, religion is the rules of the domination, faith is what I have in my heart and through my personal relationship with God. Faith is a personal thing, a journey each and every one of us take on our own. Faith can not be taught because it comes from something deep within us. It can not be given to us, we find it on our own. I have faith in God because I have felt his presence with me, I have seen his miracles. By studying his word I learn more about him as well as me. That is a part of why I like the discussion, people bring out new ideas, whether I (we) agree with them or not doesn't really matter it is the journey we each take to know God.

Kind of wordy and hope that makes sense.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  7:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Rae, that was absolutely beautiful! I couldn't agree more. You seem to find your religion in the Bible in terms of how you view and believe it to be the word of God. This strengthens your faith in Him. I applaud that wholeheartedly! I suppose that is exactly what I do too only I look at many more texts than just the Bible. Still wonderful to my mind...

But enough of that....let's get back to Genesis...In the beginning.....

Blessings, ~julia hayes

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  9:11:30 PM  Show Profile
ladies, still working on reading catch up! I am enjoying and loving all the posts! Everyone has thoughtful and lovely things to say!

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  08:10:21 AM  Show Profile
I too, would like to join - I need it too. Thanks for your work - Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  09:07:39 AM  Show Profile
Will let the new folks catch up and post if they wish and then I will post something on the 3rd reading. Sound ok to everyone???
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  09:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Sounds great Rae!
Brenda

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  12:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Julia - I am glad you joined us! If you did not classify yourself as the resident non-Christian, and having read my way through your journey with Aria, I would feel you are deeply grounded in your faith in God and Jesus. He works in our lives with or without us working to be in His, I have come to believe. Because there have been times when I have left Him, but He has never left me. I have wrestled with "do I believe literally in the scripture, or do I believe figuratively?" Finally I surrendered to the Lord and knew I only had to believe, as a child will, and I always find peace in the Word, even as I work deeper and deeper into knowing and learning it.

The women in the Bible, too, were varied in their stages of faith and belief. God used them each, to relay wisdom to us, as we read about their experiences. And they really did live. Just like us.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  5:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Hello once again!!!

Ok here we go Exodus 15:19-21 We meet Deborah here. There isn't a lot said about her but I vision her with flowing hair and huge smile and very graceful as she dances and sings praise to God. The other women join in and flow along with her.
So much was men dominated and yet she grabbed a tambourine and sang to God!!!

Rae

Oh yeah and if you are joining late remember you can comment about previous readings any time!!

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  7:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I think this one is about Miriam. My heading says the Song of Miriam. I do agree that she sounds like a very vibrant woman. I think this shows that even back in Biblical times there were women who were not afraid to just let loose, despite the standards for women in the time.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  7:33:52 PM  Show Profile
As a musician myself, I was elated to know and read that women were musicians at that time.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  7:53:33 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful way for Miriam to praise the Lord! Singing, sometimes
when one doesn't know how to praise, singing sounds like a great way to
do it.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  8:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Wow, she was playing to an audience of the ONE, Jesus.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  03:36:52 AM  Show Profile
OOOPS sorry about the name, I had read part of the next reading as well. My brain is floating away with the music

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  09:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Miriam, Moses's older sister, and also sister of Aaron was certainly and clearly born into a family of prophets and leaders. She seemed to be a natural born leader from the start, when her mother gave her the responsibility to take Moses to the river in a basket. She was able to see him to safety and even got his own mother to be the wet nurse when he was taken into the pharoah's house. She must have been very courageous too. The song she sings in these verses are a repeat of the first four verses of a song of victory, shown in the beginning of the chapter. But as time went on she made mistakes, as we all do, and misused her leadership. She even became leprous for seven days as a punishment from God (told in the book of Numbers). Her story is a good warning to women leaders, and all leaders of people, to remain faithful to God. She repented to God and he did forgive her and she went on to be a leader again.

Like Moses, she wandered in the desert with her people 40 years and never got to see the promised land either, like Moses. But she certainly left a profound legacy of leadership.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 12 2010 09:31:34 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #1- Women of the Bible Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page