Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Small-town Quilt Stops
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Small-town Quilt Stops Next Topic
Page: of 4

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  10:50:54 AM  Show Profile
In the June/July (Sentimental Journeys) issue of our magazine, we ran the following article:

My gal pal, Juli Thorson, editor of Horse & Rider magazine, equine mentor, and camping buddy, said to me after making her way back to Idaho from her childhood home in North Dakota: “While traveling Highway 2 into Montana, south through Roundup to Billings, and then I-90 to Coeur d’Alene [Idaho], almost every little town had a quilt shop. Now there’s a story for you.” I couldn’t agree more.

Thinking story, I looked online for a complete list of quilt shops, but even the two full-service shops in my own hometown weren’t listed. Quiet revolution? Women outside the box? What is happening in small-town USA? We expect a bar, maybe a grocery, and a church or two, but a quilt shop in every small-town stop? What is it about fabric and quilting that brings us, stitches us, binds us, together? Since we’re such good renegades, you tell me in your own words! Share your shop here, and the next time any of us travel, we’ll be SURE to look you up.

So get the word out - post your store address and website here or simply share your favorite small-town quilt stop.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  7:55:33 PM  Show Profile
My favorite quilt shop is right up the road, and I hope she never closes, it is
called Country Beefers located in Roaring Spring, PA and on her counter she carrys
our favorite magazine: Mary Janes Farm
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  8:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Two of my favorites are:

1) The Sewing Basket
1108 Wine Country Road
Prosser, WA. 99350
www.sewingbasket.com
Owner: Marilyn Dalstra 1.509.786.7367

2) Hawthorne Gallery
220 West Patit Ave
Dayton Wa.
Owner: Patty Eaton/Vicki Lewis 1.509.382.3137

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  10:05:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh man...there's one here, just outside the city of Battle Creek in a town called East Leroy that doesn't even have a stop light. To get there you travel the main artery going south out of town and when you finally get out in the middle of nowhere, there's an intersection that is East Leroy. There is a pole with road signs on it at the intersection directing you to go left or right for typical small city things like historical places and nature preserves and whatnot (you know the signs that are usually green or brown) and right there with it is "Quilt-N-Go". The first time I saw it, I thought it was kinda odd. I mean East Leroy has a Post Office that is smaller than my bedroom. But the quilt shop...it's almost like it's the town's only claim to fame or something. And people here in Battle Creek know about it too. I've had several friends go there for quilting classes. The other odd thing is that the quilt shop is actually at someone's house way way way off that main road. I once followed the signs to get there and thought for sure that I must be going the wrong way. It was just one of the strangest quilt shops I have ever seen, but apparently it is loved by the locals.

Quilt-N-Go
7212 6-1/2 Mile Rd
East Leroy, MI 49051
(269) 979-2347
www.quiltngo.com

The other shop in town, that I only knew of because of word of mouth, is a tiny shop way back in an industrial park along with UPS and an oddly placed Chinese lunch restaurant. It's called Sew Unique Threads and it has a FABULOUS selection of quilting and sewing fabrics! I wish they even had some signage on the main road, but they don't. There really is nothing back there and no reason for anyone to go back there unless they have to go to the UPS distribution center, so I'm sure they don't get much visual advertisement.

Sew Unique Threads
7175 Tower Rd
Suite F
Battle Creek MI 49014
(269) 317-3022
www.sewuniquethreads.com

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  10:30:20 AM  Show Profile
I work part-time at Rather Bes--a quilt shop and retreat house just outside of Pomeroy, WA on Highway 12. I don't believe she has a website yet. If you are traveling in SE Washington stop and see us.
Email me for more info.

Marcia

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

bluebellequilts
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Teresa
Georgia
USA
72 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  6:39:11 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree with you about the quilt shops. Almost every town we went through in Montana had at least one quilt shop. :-)

I don't think it's limited to small towns, though. Metro Atlanta, where I live, is blessed with an abundance of quilt shops, but most are in the suburbs. I have six shops plus Fabric.com's warehouse within 30 minutes of my home. Each shop has a unique focus. My favorite shop, Intown Quilters, is an hour away, though! I always plan a visit when I'm going to visit my parents.

Dragonfly Quilts in Watkinsville (near Athens, GA) is also another neat shop that's definitely worth a stop if you are near the University of Georgia.

Teresa

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  10:45:21 PM  Show Profile
I luv "The Buggy Barn" just 13miles up the road from me... in Reardon, WA. They do an annual outdoor quilt show every year in August..I have even posted pics of some of the fantastic quilts...in fact our very own Firemama entered one of her sweet quilts in the show last year...
This years show is is the 2nd weekend(I think) of August...a good excuse for a gal pals outing...
After all, "Quilters keep their families in stitches!" lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  3:45:33 PM  Show Profile
I love the Buggy Barn too! And their quilt show.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  6:23:24 PM  Show Profile
The next Buggy Barn Quilt show will be Aug 28 & 29th...
Also the 1st saturday of each month is $1.50 fat quarter day....
The Buggy Barn also has some vendors, crafts & vintage goods...
Well last year our own Julia Hayes scored & bought a vintage yoyo quilt....how cool is that & speaking of Cool...Julia has her first writings in this edition of the MJF magazine...
Kudos & hugz to you neighbor....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  12:36:03 PM  Show Profile
A great quilt shop is in Eau Claire, WI...right downtown on Barstow St called the Calico Shoppe. They have an amazing selection of high quality fabric, patterns and notions plus offer many classes and quilt shop hops. If you're ever in the area stop in...you'll love it!!

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  1:50:23 PM  Show Profile
There is at least five quilt shops in my area but my favorite is "Life's a Stitch" http://lasquiltshoppe.com/shop/

It is in the country on about 7 acres and in a restored victorian house. Go to the website and look at the pictures. Awesome!
It is just outside of Janesville, WI

Be sure to click on the Better Homes logo at top left corner to see the inside of the shop!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on May 08 2010 1:56:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  5:27:18 PM  Show Profile
If any of you are planning a trip to Fairbanks, AK, stop in at The Material Girls, and Northern Threads. If you're in to other fiber arts, Inua Wool Shoppe is a dream. I'll check in to websites and update this post in a little bit.

Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2698 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2698 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  6:13:53 PM  Show Profile
I wish we had a local quilt shop around here. I usually order things from keepsake quilting in NH.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  04:33:39 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever been to Obie's Country Store on Route 23 in Goodville, PA? I have never seen so much fabric crammed into such a small place - and their prices are fabulous!!! This is a very old country store with fabric literally stacked from floor to ceiling - and the upstairs has finished quilts, crafts etc. If any of you are ever in Lancaster County, PA, please stop in and take a look (unless you are claustrophobic)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luanne
beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  05:32:32 AM  Show Profile
We have a super sweet shop in Newport, Vermont -
The Quilter's Cuisine
East Main St.

Such a wonderful shop. It is so much fun to browse, chat and to get inspiration. The owner does a spectacular job keeping it well stocked with beautiful fabrics, notions, yarns, books and more.

Warm wishes,
Tonya
http://plainandjoyfulliving.blogspot.com
Homemaking and Homesteading Mom of 6
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  05:34:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tonya!

Where do you live in Vermont? I grew up in Springfield and then lived in Chester for about 10 years before moving to Pennsylvania.

I'll have to check out Quilter' Cuisien the next time I'm up north.

Luanne
beekeepersgirl

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  6:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Diane:
Is the quilt shop you referred to near Waukesha, WI? I'm going up to Wisconsin in June. I love quilts, and I love quilt shops. But, I cannot quilt. I have tried to sew but I'm all thumbs. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  12:03:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Juanita!

Too bad you were just up there. If you have trouble finding it, just ask someone. It has been there for quite a long time and is right on the main road, but hidden a little behind trees. There isn't much parking on the road, but you can go down the side of the store to park. Like I said, I hope you aren't claustrophobic! The place is literally jammed from floor to ceiling with bolts of fabric. If you are looking for something in particular, ask the lady at the counter. She seems to know where everything is, and you might not find it on your own.

Enjoy!

Luanne
beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page

Jibara Girl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Zoed
Upper Marlboro Maryland
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  7:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Jibara Girl a Yahoo! Message
Nearest quilt shop for me is Friendswood, TX called Quakertown Quilts. It has been there for 20 years Named one of the best shops in the Quilt Sampler Magazine. Awesome patterns and fabric. Visit many times a month. Always something new.

Live... Love.. Laugh.. Dream.. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Bag Lady Diva
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Viola
Spearfish South Dakota
USA
130 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  10:41:38 PM  Show Profile
If anyone will be traveling through the Black Hills of SD - there is one cute, funky quilt shop "Tri-State Bakery. She has a great selection of fabric and the shop had a very funky, peaceful, colorful air about it. Dakota Quilts is located in Spearfish. THe staff provides top customer service and know quilting. The shop is always decorated in such a way that you think "I gatta get that kit. Happy quilting.

Vi

Quilting in the Black Hills
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  11:03:53 PM  Show Profile
Quilter's Corner is the place to go for fabric or ideas here in Grand Junction, CO.
People there are friendly and helpful. I can overspend there very easily.
They have quilts on the walls and blocks hanging from the fabric shelves so the quilter can see what can be done with the fabric.
It's fun in there!
http://www.quilterscornergj.com/

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  05:39:31 AM  Show Profile
I live in Blue Ridge,GA - there is one shop here in town, Country Stitches, nice quaint store. My favorite quilt store is in Dawsonville, GA - that is Sew Memorable - tons of beautiful fabric, great ladies full of helpful info and lots of quilts hanging for inspiration!

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

bluebellequilts
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Teresa
Georgia
USA
72 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  04:41:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ruth - I live in the far NW Atlanta suburbs and shop hop up I-575 toward Hiawassee every summer.

Is Mountain Holly Quilters still in business? I thought the shop was located a couple of blocks over from the train depot in Blue Ridge.

Sew Memorable is indeed a cute shop and the staff is very friendly.

Have you ever visited Magical Threads in Dahlonega? They have a LOT of fabric packed into an small, old house just off the main square. It's been a great resource for me to find coordinating fabrics for projects when I'm batting zero at the big 3 quilt shops near me. Plus, it's open on Sunday afternoon. I try to also squeeze in a visit to the outlets in Dawsonville on that same trip!

quote:
Originally posted by violetrose

I live in Blue Ridge,GA - there is one shop here in town, Country Stitches, nice quaint store. My favorite quilt store is in Dawsonville, GA - that is Sew Memorable - tons of beautiful fabric, great ladies full of helpful info and lots of quilts hanging for inspiration!

St. Augustine

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras
Farmgirl #1357

Edited by - bluebellequilts on May 27 2010 05:17:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  06:12:50 AM  Show Profile
Just a "I second that"!! All three of these are great! Really fun shops, very helpful AND they'll mail order.

quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch Grove

If any of you are planning a trip to Fairbanks, AK, stop in at The Material Girls, and Northern Threads. If you're in to other fiber arts, Inua Wool Shoppe is a dream. I'll check in to websites and update this post in a little bit.

Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:50:42 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, Mountain Holly Quilters was sold by Nita, the new owners moved to Hwy 515, just south of June Walker Chevrolet! However they are now out of business - they closed the end of last year! I have been to Magical Threads, nice shop, but I prefer Sew Memorable in Dawsonville. I hear there is a new shop in Dahlonega, but haven't been. They just had a shop hop earlier this month, I didn't get to go. There are three quilt stores in Franklin, TN that I'm going to get to one day - don't know when. That's about 1 1/2 hrs from me, but a fun place to spend a day.
Hugs, Ruth

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  05:14:58 AM  Show Profile
What a good idea .... this is a fun way to lean where to look for shops when traveling!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Small-town Quilt Stops Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page