knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  4:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Let me start off by saying that I have never tried to make money from a our very small farm, but feel that I now have the time and a little money to invest in a small business (all the while teaching my three boys a little something about life).

My husband and I have a meeting with an accountant on June 7th and we are compiling a list of questions to ask. So, down to the nitty gritty: What questions would you ask and what would you do differently, the same, or consider doing? What we will be selling: Produce from our farm, fresh/dried herbs, eggs (maybe), and at some point turkeys. I hope this business grows and I understand it is a small start, but we all start somewhere!

Lots and lots of questions in this post, but in my opinion the only way to learn is to ask and do. I'm attempting the "do" part, so this is the "ask" part.

Thanks all. Hope you are all well!

~Ashley

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  06:09:56 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, all I can say is "you go girl". What a wonderful way to make some money and teach your boys about where food comes from and how to have a business and work ethic. There are more and more people that are looking to buy local from farms so that is a plus. You will have to market your wares somehow, but I am not an expert in that area.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  6:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Diane. I just read a story about an 18 year old young woman who bought a house with her 4-H winnings. She saved almost all of her money (she bought only one purse other than the house) and worked on the family farm. It really made me think about what all my three boys can learn/earn from a business and a farm. Not to mention thatthey get to be dirty...who could ask for anything better from a childs view?

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic If you could go back.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page